6 hours ago, billy backstay said:

2-srokes don't have cams????

Helluva lot of engine above the ports for a 2 stroke.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

thank you for the greetings, things are still pretty wonky trying to do this so just bear with me and My energy level is low but I know this is good to bring my brain back online so I'll keep posting

Thanks Nimbus. The whole reset of the SA website where all the pages were wiped clean really had me at a low point. The last six months of it's life I had been just stomping on the gas pedal tryi

Posted Images

4 hours ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1633250588674.jpg

You could make an incredibly cool hot rod ram air system out of the last foot or two of that thing.

Well, for a 7 cylinder engine anyway.

3 hours ago, valis said:

That sure looks like Point Dume (accent over the 'e', but pronounced "doom" by the locals), the view from the south end of Zuma Beach,  Pt. Dume is north of Malibu, and I lived there when I was in High School.  They used to film commercials, bikini shoots, TV shows and movies there -- lots of fun to hang out.

FB_IMG_1633271975089.jpg

Nah,  it's El Morro Cove, right on the Laguna Beach town line. That's the reciprocal view of this shot of what was then called Scotchman's Cove that Hobs posted yesterday...

FB_IMG_1633048022728.jpg

You can see the trailers in the beachfront trailer park if you look closely. The trailer park's gone now and it's called Reef Point State Park these days, and of course, the former Irvine Ranch grazing land is all high end homes and condos.

6 hours ago, Autonomous said:

2-stroke Detroit Diesels have overhead valves.

Only for the exhaust valves. This would be a cam drive prototype driving a normal cam, desmo or possibly a rotary valve? Not sure about valve clearance checks etc. To complex with suggest too much drag to be viable. Keep pushing the envelope. 

21 hours ago, valis said:

That sure looks like Point Dume (accent over the 'e', but pronounced "doom" by the locals), the view from the south end of Zuma Beach,  Pt. Dume is north of Malibu, and I lived there when I was in High School.  They used to film commercials, bikini shoots, TV shows and movies there -- lots of fun to hang out.

Liberty32.jpg

Things may have changes since you were there...  I have been corrected by some locals on a few occasions it is not Point Doom, it is Point Due-May.

Since the COVID restrictions were lifted the production company trailers are all over the place up and down PCH. 

On 10/3/2021 at 2:19 PM, hobot said:

primul-selfie-din-istorie_5_red_compressed.jpg

We have seen this one before on the defunct original thread, but I will repeat myself.

This is the oldest known picture of a human being.

And he is unknown... I use the word Picture in the sense of "modern photography", you know, the stuff with chemicals on a support (film, glass) reacting to light...

This is the detail of a much bigger picture of a boulevard in Paris. But at the beginning of this new technology, the "film" (or glass plate) needed minutes of exposure, to receive enough light, to react and make the picture. So the exposure time was so long (minutes) that all activity in the boulevard, pedestrian, horse carriages, etc, did not make it on the film, because they were in motion.

This guy was getting a shoe-shine... And stayed motionless long enough to make an "impression" on the film.

You're welcome.

• Like 6
4 hours ago, hobot said:

simcaarondepleinciel-02.jpg

Front clip design of that 1957 Simca Aronde appears to be the genesis of the 1960-61 Sunbeam Alpine.

Well, sorry about the Top of Top of the Page Girl posts.

Starting right around page number 2 there has been about 14 posts deleted from the various pages throughout the Random PicPage. There is 100 posts per page,  when a post is deleted everything after it moves up in line one space (I've used the feature often when I missed the thread count).

I'll do my best to keep the tradition going but if you see it get all wonky at least you'll know why.

• Like 4
32 minutes ago, hobot said:

Starting right around page number 2 there has been about 14 posts deleted from the various pages throughout the Random PicPage. There is 100 posts per page,  when a post is deleted everything after it moves up in line one space (I've used the feature often when I missed the thread count).

I'll do my best to keep the tradition going but if you see it get all wonky at least you'll know why.

Middle of the page is a nice surprise....

Gee,  wish I could spell that in Snaglese...

• Like 1
2 hours ago, hobot said:

Don't sweat it Hobbs - as long as we get some tits on every page it's all good. ;)

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1614568052787.jpg

Probably pretty early Vietnam pic. That M1 carbine was issue in the early 60’s…..they started phasing out in favor of the M14 & M16 mid 60’s. Still a few were…….kept……by those who mistrusted the 16’s and their notorious jams at first. 14’s we’re favored as well but heavy. Twice as heavy. 

3 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Probably pretty early Vietnam pic. That M1 carbine was issue in the early 60’s…..they started phasing out in favor of the M14 & M16 mid 60’s. Still a few were…….kept……by those who mistrusted the 16’s and their notorious jams at first. 14’s we’re favored as well but heavy. Twice as heavy. 

You know….looking at those helmets….that might be a much earlier picture……WW2 even. Can’t tell what the rifles are behind the 1st guy. The uni’s look a little older as well. That looks kinda like a Tommy Gun in the #3 position…..that would definitely lean toward WW2…..any experts?

1 hour ago, Point Break said:

You know….looking at those helmets….that might be a much earlier picture……WW2 even. Can’t tell what the rifles are behind the 1st guy. The uni’s look a little older as well. That looks kinda like a Tommy Gun in the #3 position…..that would definitely lean toward WW2…..any experts?

Yep. Thompson and WWII. I'm not an expert, but that 2nd guy seems to be carrying another M1, while the third guy pretty clearly has a Thompson sub:

C064882B.jpg

The uniforms also definitely look more like WWII south pacific than Vietnam era uniforms. It also seems very likely to be somewhere in the South Pacific, as opposed to Europe.

I was pretty sure of that anyhow, but did a quick image search to try and confirm and found this: https://acworthbookstore.net/product/clothing-soldier-world-war-ii-qmc-historical-studies-1946-paperback/

So that image was actually used on the cover of a book or maybe a government report or whatever regarding clothing the WWII soldier during the war that was published in 1946.

Does make me wonder exactly where from in the SP that's from though. My grandfather was killed on Leyte. So many islands large and small though, could be just about any of them except maybe Iwo Jima. Too many trees I think.

I do love traveling down one of Hobot's rabbit holes.

Peter S

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Bacchus66 said:

Yep. Thompson and WWII. I'm not an expert, but that 2nd guy seems to be carrying another M1, while the third guy pretty clearly has a Thompson sub:

C064882B.jpg

The uniforms also definitely look more like WWII south pacific than Vietnam era uniforms. It also seems very likely to be somewhere in the South Pacific, as opposed to Europe.

I was pretty sure of that anyhow, but did a quick image search to try and confirm and found this: https://acworthbookstore.net/product/clothing-soldier-world-war-ii-qmc-historical-studies-1946-paperback/

So that image was actually used on the cover of a book or maybe a government report or whatever regarding clothing the WWII soldier during the war that was published in 1946.

Does make me wonder exactly where from in the SP that's from though. My grandfather was killed on Leyte. So many islands large and small though, could be just about any of them except maybe Iwo Jima. Too many trees I think.

I do love traveling down one of Hobot's rabbit holes.

Peter S

IMO New Guinea or SW Pacific

1 hour ago, Marcjsmith said:

one helluva a way to get 12 piston caliper(s) on a morotcycle...  seems overkill  especially for a rear wheel

That is what I was thinking.  We would go to great lengths to minimize the brake weight on the rear wheel as it had little if any traction braking into a corner.  That just doesn't make any sense unless it is some specialty drag racing bike, but the tires and swing arm don't match that application.  Someone sure had a purpose in mind though!

8 hours ago, BBender said:

IMO New Guinea or SW Pacific

https://zenithpress.tumblr.com/post/95911095835/captain-frank-farrell-wwii-shadow-warrior

I did some more digging now that it's not 4am, and you aren't far off, it's Guadalcanal. So just the other side of most of the Solomons from New Guinea, and a little south. Also the campaign on Guadalcanal started early in 1942, while the start of the subsequent Solomon Islands campaign and the move to retake and New Guinea both came later in 1942. Definitely the same kind of vegetation by and large though.

• Like 2
On 10/4/2021 at 3:35 PM, Ventucky Red said:

I have been corrected by some locals on a few occasions it is not Point Doom, it is Point Due-May.

Prolly like up in the Bay area, it doesn't matter whether you pronounce it Pt. Rays or Pt. Ray- yes, the locals are gonna correct you.

FB_IMG_1633432192379.jpg

Around 1982 or so I rode my bicycle home on the sidewalk through that tunnel. It was easily 3' wide and still one of the scarier things I've ever done on a bicycle. I only did it once.

5 minutes ago, Willin' said:

It was easily 3' wide and still one of the scarier things I've ever done on a bicycle. I only did it once.

I rode overe the Ravenelle Bridge, Charleston to Patriotes Pointe in 1984, if you evere wantned to gette youre eare flicte by a truck mirrore, that wase the place to be....................                                   :)

That would have been the old Grace Bridge. It was fun when it was two way and the cars were bigger. I used to drive and old work van across it for a nursery in high school. Sitting in stopped afternoon traffic it would start to pump up and down.

50 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Special Delivery?

It would be somewhat interesting to know what someone has tattooed on her neck, wrist and middle finger.

Nope.  Remember that old dictum?

If on her body she has a doodle
Never let her touch your noodle.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

I rode overe the Ravenelle Bridge, Charleston to Patriotes Pointe in 1984, if you evere wantned to gette youre eare flicte by a truck mirrore, that wase the place to be....................                                   :)

I don't recall that bridge having a sidewalk. It was just a drop off to nowhere.

Scary as fuck, especially with two way traffic and a strong wind.

I knew men who did not flinch at getting shot at, or jumping into Central American rivers with snakes, who would angrily refuse to look down when riding over that bridge (stationed on ship based in Charleston, 1979~1983)

- DSK

25 minutes ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1592465934884.jpg

I'm going to try my luck again...  US Hwy 1, Pacific Palisades, Santa Monica, California.  I used to live in Santa Monica, and before that I commuted on Hwy 1 via Kawasaki 120 motorcycle from Pt. Dume (about 20 miles north of this spot) to Santa Monica High School.