9 hours ago, justsomeguy! said:

2126998856_Screenshot_20211006-0116232.thumb.png.7643a829935af53c090e2c978190b030.png

That's an evil looking little fucker.

Like it should burst out of your chest after incubating or burrow its way into your neck..

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

thank you for the greetings, things are still pretty wonky trying to do this so just bear with me and My energy level is low but I know this is good to bring my brain back online so I'll keep posting

Thanks Nimbus. The whole reset of the SA website where all the pages were wiped clean really had me at a low point. The last six months of it's life I had been just stomping on the gas pedal tryi

Posted Images

11 hours ago, justsomeguy! said:

2126998856_Screenshot_20211006-0116232.thumb.png.7643a829935af53c090e2c978190b030.png

OK, How could a bug like that survive for 400,000,000 years without significant change or just plain running out of habitat?  And still get laid on a regular basis.

400,000,000 years.  

Just now, Left Shift said:

OK, How could a bug like that survive for 400,000,000 years without significant change or just plain running out of habitat?  And still get laid on a regular basis.

400,000,000 years.  

Easy explanation; they taste terrible...

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

I hope you don know that empirically.

When is the last time you met a Hopi Indian? They starved waiting for decades for those little Triops buggers to hatch after the rains in New Mexico and when it would finally happen it turned out that they did taste like terrible!

Have you ever seen anyone eat a Horseshoe Crab? NFW... These little Tadpole shrimp are just their little cousins.

We have shrimp in the ballcourt! Well, sort of. We were getting reports of tadpoles in the standing pool of water down in the ballcourt on the Wupatki Pueblo trail. This would not be unusual since the recent rains have brought up the toads from their underground burrows. However, upon investigation by rangers we found something entirely different and somewhat unexpected.
Tadpole shrimp, also known as Triops, are technically neither tadpoles nor shrimp, but they ARE crustaceans. Triops is a genus of small crustaceans in the order Notostraca. They live in vernal pools in Africa, Australia, Asia, South America, Europe, and some parts of North America. They are sometimes called living fossils because their outward appearance has changed very little since the Triassic.
How do crustaceans live in such dry conditions? They have a very specialized adaptation that allows their eggs to survive being completely dry for long periods of time. These little horseshoe crab looking critters lay in wait until a pool of water remains long enough for the eggs to hatch. Then they gorge themselves, grow to adulthood in just over a week, breed, and lay more eggs to repeat the cycle. They are also food for birds such as nighthawks here in the monument.
Triops are just another example of how even in the harshest conditions, life finds a way. 

Kaiyodo Animatales Choco Q Series 4 Tadpole shrimp Figure | King Crab  Collectibles

Remember Sea Monkeys when we were kids?

71 Old Comic Book Ads ideas in 2021 | old comics, old comic books, vintage  comics

https://triopsworld.com/triops-vs-seamonkeys/  This article says that they were a SCAM!

Wait!!!   This is what sea monkeys look like if they keep growing?!?!?!? :o

1 hour ago, chester said:

pretty sure i did in 1965.  may have also bought x-ray glasses!!!

wanna buy another pair?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, chester said:

pretty sure i did in 1965.  may have also bought x-ray glasses!!!

Could they see through the squirrel monkey you most likely bought?  How did the rubber stamp business work out?  I remember the last few pages in all those old magazines.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, pbd said:

Can't help but think of Star Trek Wrath of Khan.

image.jpeg.bed6921baced2a02f8bae277b622ac91.jpeg

That ^ thing gives me shivers!

I maintained a 120G salt water reef tank for about 7 years. Fun while it lasted!

Part of the hobby is unseen "hitch hiker" thingies/bugs that get imported, unknown, into the display tank when you buy corals, rocks or do a swap. Some can be good, others - not so much!

Many years ago a local running a 500G reef tank with 700lbs of Fiji rock in the display tank found a 7' long worm living in the PVC pipe structures inside the tank!

http://www.oregonreef.com/sub_worm.htm

This worm had grown to completely fill the diameter of the ¾” diameter PVC pipe and reached a total length of 7 feet. I had to disassemble the rock supporting structure piece by piece to fully remove the worm. Even with my care, I still broke off an 18 inch piece of his tail section. I’m sure that this worm came in on the original load of Fiji live rock as a 6 inch or less worm. With this in mind, that means that this worm was growing at a rate of 3 inches per month to reach his 7 feet of length at his removal two years later.

Fucking nature......

30 minutes ago, hobot said:

242898412_476844364079166_9055226339522083937_n.jpg

My step father was an officer on the Nautilus... He was a kook and not the good kind!

No fucking way I could do that^! 

How often do you get to see the horizon?

7 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Could they see through the squirrel monkey you most likely bought?  How did the rubber stamp business work out?  I remember the last few pages in all those old magazines.

You can find all those ads from google archieve of Popular Mechanics 

https://books.google.fi/books?id=D9QDAAAAMBAJ&printsec=frontcover&hl=fi&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

wdwdwadwa.thumb.JPG.05155c918e9c5eba903a94892c3cd439.JPG

6 hours ago, Liquid said:

How often do you get to see the horizon?

If you are on good terms with the watch team in control *and* you are not on mission (just transiting), you may be able to see the horizon for a few minutes every 3 days or so. . . Through a 6 inch, positively ancient CRT screen. . .

230 mp image of the sun... dosnt look like much until you zoom in on it...

if you left click on the image until it brings it up in its own tab (should be three clicks)   you can zoom in on it..  pretty neat..

the link ends up being in reddit...fwiw

tx7nvof94yr71.jpg

• Like 1
9 hours ago, hobot said:

C42515E__95903.1550611222.jpg

That looks just like a rusty old rifle a friend gave me, and I gave on to someone else.  Google image search says it's a....... 

Feb 28, 2018 — Looking at the Rock Island Arsenal 1903 chambered in 30-06. This was made in 1918, one century ago. It has been "Sportized" and drilled and ..
8 hours ago, Laurent said:

About thirty years ago, Waco, TX...

watched this in LA while at some training and this was right before or right after the verdict announcement for the cops involved with the rodney king beating. I was staying in a hotel that overlooked LAX which went on lockdown for the weekend of the verdict, I hightailed it to Laguna for the weekend and spent the time downrange of possible issues in LA. I was living outside DC at the time but was from Austin prior to that. It was a very strange and surreal two weeks for me watching one thing happen in Texas while in the middle of the other thing.

7 hours ago, Pertsa said:

My dad told me a story about an ad that appeared on those pages back in the 30's.

All it said was "LAST CHANCE - Send $1" - no product, no promises, no nuthin'

Grifting stripped to its barest essentials.

Apparently the guy made a bundle

11 hours ago, hobot said:

4FQCJF544GG7UZQR65YHDTKUYU.jpg

What I never understood about that incident was why the authorities felt it necessary to attack - why didn't they just lay siege to the place and starve them out?

14 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

What I never understood about that incident was why the authorities felt it necessary to attack - why didn't they just lay siege to the place and starve them out?

They had stockpiled.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/atf-raids-branch-davidian-compound

16 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

They wanted to use their toys.  Plus with the press corps holding nightly/24 hr keggers (remember 90's, so  literally hundreds of newsies camping out there for weeks to get the scoop) covering the thing, the pressure to do something was immense.  There is a great documentary on it somewhere...  

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

My grandmother would say that satan won on that day which meant that nobody won and everyone lost. She knew her shit. I would say (if you don't lean towards religion) that it was a dangerous combination of crazy and stupid that blew up. Unforgivably poor leadership on the law enforcement/government side.

• Like 2

IIRC at the time there were concerns about domestic/child abuse going on. Hence difficult to just sit it out. 

Children who left the Branch Davidian cult compound said David Koresh gave girls as young as 11 plastic Stars of David that signified they were ready to have sex with him, The New York Times reported Tuesday.

The children, who left the compound during the 51-day siege that began Feb. 28, also told social workers that Koresh told them to call their parents "dogs" and refer only to him as their father.

The Times quoted from the report of a team headed by Dr. Bruce D. Perry, chief of psychiatry at Texas Children's Hospital in Houston. The team interviewed 19 of the 21 surviving children of the cult, ages 4 to 11.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1993-05-04-9305050262-story.html

https://www.nytimes.com/1993/05/04/us/growing-up-under-koresh-cult-children-tell-of-abuses.html

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

It was all stupid, very stupidly done, but the really stupid people were on the inside.  You don't starve fanatics out especially when they have stockpiles and there are many, many kids involved.  

15 hours ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1592416508144.jpg

fond memories of assorted vehicles .... sometimes jammed with as many as we could hide in the trunk..

or just two looking out the back of a volkwagen squareback with the back seat folded down and the tailgate up

On 10/6/2021 at 11:45 AM, Rasputin22 said:

Easy Company

r/MURICA - Living the dream.

There is some controversy of who was there first, and many say it was not the 101st Airborne..  they just happened to get the credit.  There was a battalion of engineers detached there earlier, they were leaving with the Screaming Eagles came to town.

As we say pics or it didn't happen.. this is from the last time I was there...  The whole area is frigging awesome... sad there is a little black mark attached to it.

SAM_0224.JPG

SAM_0215.JPG

3 hours ago, hobot said:

main-qimg-2fcf547d57c7e99e3634bc5eafd7ee34.jpeg

Please don't post any more like that - I still have sickening nightmares of people jumping.

Burn or jump off a 1000 foot cliff - horrifying.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Ventucky Red said:

There is some controversy of who was there first, and many say it was not the 101st Airborne..  they just happened to get the credit.  There was a battalion of engineers detached there earlier, they were leaving with the Screaming Eagles came to town.

As we say pics or it didn't happen.. this is from the last time I was there...  The whole area is frigging awesome... sad there is a little black mark attached to it.

It is a black mark and accuracy be damned, it's the attitude and the historical remembrance:lol:

1 hour ago, Ventucky Red said:

Thus car is on display at the Patterson Auto Mussume in LA... Worth the time even if your not a car person..

1498174432115.jpg

I love the rivets

2 minutes ago, warbird said:

Platform around the cab?

Yeah, the cab on an 88 looks pretty small in relationship to the machine.

Either way I ain't standing under it.

Years ago I did a bit of mining and ran 966s and 988s. Cool machines.

7 hours ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1633332611608.jpg

7 hours ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1633332611608.jpg

6 hours ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1614920670764.jpg

Thus car is on display at the Patterson Auto Mussume in LA... Worth the time even if your not a car person..

1498174432115.jpg

You are killing us with these pics. Thanks.

1498174432115.jpg

The side exhaust and luggage rack ruin the original look. 

5 minutes ago, Orion Jim said:

The side exhaust and luggage rack ruin the original look. 

Who saw the luggage rack and side exhaust.  I saw  Marylin clutching my arm as I down shifted to turn into the  "Sneak Away Hotel".:lol: