Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

thank you for the greetings, things are still pretty wonky trying to do this so just bear with me and My energy level is low but I know this is good to bring my brain back online so I'll keep posting

Thanks Nimbus. The whole reset of the SA website where all the pages were wiped clean really had me at a low point. The last six months of it's life I had been just stomping on the gas pedal tryi

Posted Images

On 5/23/2021 at 7:28 PM, 167149 said:

bit of a longshot but isnt that Croc Dundee  back when he worked for a living ?

Yes it is Paul Hogan painting the Sydney Harbour Bridge

Link to post
Share on other sites

great memories of many saturday mornings ... racing 1/32nd scaleFB_IMG_1621715956106.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2021 at 12:24 PM, Point Break said:

Yep.....it was a killer right point break..................before and after the harbor.

17022332_1258853754192005_8152872802035409168_n.jpg

Little-known fact - the marina at Dana Point was built "dry" - big cofferdam around the site, graders leveled it inside, all the structure (retaining walls, etc) poured.... and then they broke the cofferdam to let the water in.  First the section by the boatyard/launch ramp, then the east basin, then the west.

 

1940006704_danamarina.JPG.bc86ff188d51f690cf7f6714a1fd0331.JPG

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, sledracr said:

Little-known fact - the marina at Dana Point was built "dry" - big cofferdam around the site, graders leveled it inside, all the structure (retaining walls, etc) poured.... and then they broke the cofferdam to let the water in.  First the section by the boatyard/launch ramp, then the east basin, then the west.

 

1940006704_danamarina.JPG.bc86ff188d51f690cf7f6714a1fd0331.JPG

did they build all the docks and slips and everything dry? what's the bottom?

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

did they build all the docks and slips and everything dry? what's the bottom?

Bottom was compacted fill.  Docks and slips went in after the basins were filled. 
 

C412B219-851C-4853-9AB7-1C1B362D5253.thumb.png.d2c56f630a7f11c7cf07827f79fc7df8.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sledracr said:

Little-known fact - the marina at Dana Point was built "dry" - big cofferdam around the site, graders leveled it inside, all the structure (retaining walls, etc) poured.... and then they broke the cofferdam to let the water in.  First the section by the boatyard/launch ramp, then the east basin, then the west.

 

1940006704_danamarina.JPG.bc86ff188d51f690cf7f6714a1fd0331.JPG

Yep, part of the deal was they had to relocate the marine critters outside the sea wall before they could drain it as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2021 at 11:57 AM, nimbus said:

The old story we were tolds as kids was that once the Sydney Harbour Bridge was totally repainted they had to immediately start again to repaint it.  There is a lot of steel in that bridge.

that's not true , however it is a never ending job .

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/sydney-harbour-bridge-gets-a-fresh-coat-of-paint-again/news-story/993350d50f7a08e7d20a0d00f4b616f5

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, hobot said:

allan-leishman-montreal-star-mangled-remains-of-a-school-b.jpeg

04-pvKT.jpg

22ppg85u55u61.jpg

I think that is in the aquaphor in Istanbul. Where James Bond was in from Russia with Love. Took a tour. Amazing 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

8 hours ago, hobot said:

 

planecrash01.jpg

 

The video - Warning: It's not pretty...

 

 

Story I read was a military transport where a very large cargo item(s) become unattached at takeoff... 

Weakest link in a literal chain!?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1622070114631.jpg

FB_IMG_1622070010637.jpg

FB_IMG_1622063505138.jpg

Spent  many Friday and Saturday nights there in the late 60's. Park the Woodie with the stern facing the screen. Open the tailgate. Watch for awhile. Close the tailgate and "snuggle". Make sure you both see enough of the two films to survive the interrogation the next day.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Liquid said:

Story I read was a military transport where a very large cargo item(s) become unattached at takeoff... 

Weakest link in a literal chain!?

pilot was fighting a loosing battle.   the crash reminds me of the one where the b52 augers in during an airshow, but that was pilot bravado/stupidity.

a group of guys built an RC b52,  and basically recreated the accident.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 167149 said:
On 5/23/2021 at 10:01 PM, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1621824309570.jpg

 

 

Expand  

another fine product from Lucas electrics

 

smoke2.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

pilot was fighting a loosing battle.   the crash reminds me of the one where the b52 augers in during an airshow, but that was pilot bravado/stupidity.

a group of guys built an RC b52,  and basically recreated the accident.

 

There are a number of You Tube  RC crash videos, with macabre interest I searched B25 (my first sailboat) RC crash and the results were endless.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Goddam right it is!image.png.15ec560c694a9406f17cf643707dfe08.png

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

Goddam right it is!

nope , never saw that coming ...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Liquid said:

 

The video - Warning: It's not pretty...

 

 

Story I read was a military transport where a very large cargo item(s) become unattached at takeoff... 

Weakest link in a literal chain!?

There was an episode on that air crash investigation show about this. A bunch of humvees on board strapped down - broke their restraints on take off, slid back and crashed though the rear firewall crippling the planes elevator hydraulics. Sheeettt....

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, hobot said:

 

 

FB_IMG_1622026451481.jpg

Hobot that is GOLD! Here's a more recent photo. There is a strava segment for riding across the top of the dam wall - I am the current record holder! :lol:

IMG_6059.JPG

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mid said:

nope , never saw that coming ...

hehehe

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Poodle56 said:

Hobot that is GOLD! Here's a more recent photo. There is a strava segment for riding across the top of the dam wall - I am the current record holder! :lol:

IMG_6059.JPG

I'll say Giant Trance

Link to post
Share on other sites