• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

thank you for the greetings, things are still pretty wonky trying to do this so just bear with me and My energy level is low but I know this is good to bring my brain back online so I'll keep posting

In 1974 my USN ship was in Kure Japan for a few days and liberty was generous (3 section) so a buddy of mine and I decided to visit Hiroshima. We had to take the train  to get there and since civies w

Posted Images

On 5/25/2021 at 2:45 PM, Blue Crab said:

68A2AC44-A8EB-41AD-A686-BC3C17526954.jpeg

My Mom was on the design team for Northrup AC Flying Wings. Looks mighty similar to state-of-the-art stuff now ... 70 years later.

Then she would know of this one. One of the first from Jack Northrop built of wood.received_509969620194673.thumb.jpeg.ef4808ba21adc78dfbc285da56e1ef56.jpeg. This was tagged as experimental and not inventory so it was not destroyed. Unfortunately it crashed killing the pilot about a month after i took these pics

received_757005454974247.jpeg

received_324208602564873.jpeg

I'm sure she would. Way too late to ask her. She started at Northrup right after Pearl Harbor and my dad and everybody else went to war. Only job she had til she died. 

3 hours ago, ancientseawolf said:

Hobs has some magic phone 

:lol:

Setting up this thread again has really helped flush out part of the brain fog that keeps hanging over me.

• Like 16
1 hour ago, sledracr said:

ahhhh.... my old stompin' grounds.....

I can see my old apt. on Amethyst Ave on Balboa Is. One of my college classmates was a ferry capt. so I got to ride free most nights, saving me a dime!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1622094264438.jpg

I have a whole photo album of this day.  My grandfather and his brother were one of THE corporate sponsors for the Mayflower II

I was suppose to be there, but parents thought it best I stay in Duxbury with my cousins that day..   I gave a few of the photos of the event to the Mayflower Society House, and I believe they may still be hanging on the wall with thanks to my grandfather.

Mayflower003 A.jpg

Mayflower004.jpg

9 hours ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1622232069090.jpg

FB_IMG_1622221254925.jpg

FB_IMG_1622232012013.jpg

Custom fitted stonework to accommodate technology that was obsolete before the mortar cured.  

Somebody had a Hugh Hefner fantasy and some excess cash.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Orion Jim said:

I took this last July after her major refit at the Henry B. duPont Preservation Shipyard at Mystic Seaport. She had several days of sea trials.BA46CBC4-8213-4064-9850-ED546B1EFD37.thumb.jpeg.d7376e7f856870093af5eef298f71f87.jpeg

They had to want out of England bad to sail across the North Atlantic in that thing. :blink:

5 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

They had to want out of England bad to sail across the North Atlantic in that thing. :blink:

God told them it would be fine.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Orion Jim said:

I took this last July after her major refit at the Henry B. duPont Preservation Shipyard at Mystic Seaport. She had several days of sea trials.BA46CBC4-8213-4064-9850-ED546B1EFD37.thumb.jpeg.d7376e7f856870093af5eef298f71f87.jpeg

enjoy... from the first crossing

4 hours ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1620474887179.jpg

Google calls that "reverse flow Chevy"

It's actually 2 Ford DOHC 255 cube Indy engines. They ran them in the first GT40's but changed to pushrod 289's because they got more power..

11 hours ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1622315008586.jpg

Double take. The car up front I can't identify and it is righthand drive. Then I looked and see the driving is on the opposite side too. Is the picture backwards or is this in England or something. 

9 minutes ago, dyslexic dog said:

Double take. The car up front I can't identify and it is righthand drive. Then I looked and see the driving is on the opposite side too. Is the picture backwards or is this in England or something. 

Looks like a Arnault Bristol, or some other Brit car, and other drivers are in left hand drive cars, so US location.

15 minutes ago, dyslexic dog said:

I came up with BOCAR but I don't think it is correct. The picture is not reversed either. 

12 hours ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1622315008586.jpg

27 minutes ago, dyslexic dog said:

Australia, probably Sydney in the ‘50’s......

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

FB_IMG_1622023808150.jpg

Nothing says the 50s louder than avocado appliances.  

Tail fins on cars do it much better than avocado - which was late 60's and into the 70's.

Along with harvest gold and coppertone.

They were cool at the time but sure haven't aged well, sorta like shag carpet.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, dyslexic dog said:

I think it's a glass kit car of some sort.

Definitely not a Bocar or Arnolt.