Random PicThread

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

thank you for the greetings, things are still pretty wonky trying to do this so just bear with me and My energy level is low but I know this is good to bring my brain back online so I'll keep posting

Thanks Nimbus. The whole reset of the SA website where all the pages were wiped clean really had me at a low point. The last six months of it's life I had been just stomping on the gas pedal tryi

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, hobot said:

tumblr_lq8k4uH4gk1qc0cxpo1_500.jpg

:lol:

I had a short timers chain. It was a “chain” of the thing our dog tags were on. Don’t remember what that is called. The couplers each represented a month. Then the last (however many you choose) part of the chain is a ball for each day. I started mine at 60 days. 

Let’s not forget the sayings as well:

”I’m so short I can sit on a dime and swing my legs”.

”I’m so short I have to run around in the shower to get wet”.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, hobot said:

woolwoch.jpg

A rare photo capturing the harvest of ripe ammunition.

5 hours ago, hobot said:

87177069_1478319769008839_5049756318793990144_n.jpg

And, once again, Dublin. This time showing Nelson’s Pillar on O’ Connell Street. The IRA mostly removed the monument, using their own methods, in 1966. The view is from Henry Street which is now pedestrianised and mainly populated by, ironically, Irish branches of UK high street retailers.

6 hours ago, Point Break said:

:lol:

I had a short timers chain. It was a “chain” of the thing our dog tags were on. Don’t remember what that is called. The couplers each represented a month. Then the last (however many you choose) part of the chain is a ball for each day. I started mine at 60 days. 

Let’s not forget the sayings as well:

”I’m so short I can sit on a dime and swing my legs”.

”I’m so short I have to run around in the shower to get wet”.

Oh, so there comes that "don't shoot, I am too short" helmet text.

11 hours ago, Poodle56 said:

Bullwinkle no?

Yep. Remember watching it go out. Very impressive.

End of the pier of the hotel on the left was one of the traditional Harvest Moon finish lines...

22 hours ago, Hike, Bitches! said:

ConAir, I think, the scene where they crash landed into the Vegas strip?!?!?!

Thank you for that.  It looked real familiar, but I couldn't place it.

• Like 1
On 11/7/2021 at 12:20 PM, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1636236296080.jpg

Hindsgavl Dagger. Late Neolithic Denmark, c. 1900-1700 BCE.  Made just before the Bronze Age reached Denmark.  Simply amazed at its beauty.  Only about a centimeter thick.

Hindsgavl Dagger.jpg

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Any guesses as to what city they are over?

Think it's the LA side of the LA / Long Beach divide.

29 minutes ago, arcpix said:

Margaret Bourke White!

Some years ago I bought a gelatine silver print she made of Ranger in the 1930s, originally given as a gift to her boss Henry Luce. This came from his collection, via the estate of his long-time secretary. As far as I know it's a one-off. She published several shots of Ranger from the same session, but this one never made it out as far as I can tell. Sorry about the reflection of the flash.

ranger.jpg

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, sailm8 said:

That 3rd soldier in the middle column looks like he's 12 years old.

The oldest of those guys is probably only 23 or 24.

War aside, I've always thought that people matured faster back then - they went from kids to mature adults without seemingly ever going through that transition period in their 20's that we went through.

Have you ever known a 19 year old who looked like this? :D

Remembering Lauren Bacall's unforgettable 'whistle' from 'To Have and Have  Not'

2 hours ago, jewingiv said:

FB_IMG_1636440385604.jpg

I think it's the LA side of the LA / Long Beach divide.

Good eye, and I think you may be correct, but that part of LA airspace is pretty darn busy with LAX, LGB, and SNA operating in the area.  I don't think they would do a refueling operation over a city like that or in some busy airspace.

Also, the boom has the Illinois ANG and the 126th ARW logo..  the boys are a long way from home. There are two refueling squadrons at Travis AFB and a tanker at Edwards.

There have been rumors of the YF 117 flying the skies of So Cal, but nowhere near Los Angeles.

16 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

The oldest of those guys is probably only 23 or 24.

War aside, I've always thought that people matured faster back then - they went from kids to mature adults without seemingly ever going through that transition period in their 20's that we went through.

Have you ever known a 19 year old who looked like this? :D

Remembering Lauren Bacall's unforgettable 'whistle' from 'To Have and Have  Not'

I'll see your Lauren and raise ya Gisele at 19

19 year old Gisele Bündchen in New York City #modelthrowback | Gisele, Gisele  bundchen, Giselle bundchen

20 minutes ago, Ventucky Red said:

I'll see your Lauren and raise ya Gisele at 19

19 year old Gisele Bündchen in New York City #modelthrowback | Gisele, Gisele  bundchen, Giselle bundchen

I have seen grade 9 girls who aren't far off that.  There is a very high variability in maturation rate among adolescents.  Unfortunately early maturity is associated with depression and identity diffusion.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ventucky Red said:

Good eye, and I think you may be correct, but that part of LA airspace is pretty darn busy with LAX, LGB, and SNA operating in the area.  I don't think they would do a refueling operation over a city like that or in some busy airspace.

Also, the boom has the Illinois ANG and the 126th ARW logo..  the boys are a long way from home. There are two refueling squadrons at Travis AFB and a tanker at Edwards.

There have been rumors of the YF 117 flying the skies of So Cal, but nowhere near Los Angeles.

6 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Any guesses as to what city they are over?

5 hours ago, jewingiv said:

Think it's the LA side of the LA / Long Beach divide.

Definetly San Pee-dro!  

27 minutes ago, Poodle56 said:

Central Sydney, early 80's - VB Commodore there I sink..? :P

South-east corner of George and King St.  American Express building in the background. The shop on the ground floor of the white building is a Darrell Lea store.  (I was a sucker for their Jersey Caramels).  According to Google street view (2018) the white building is still there.  On the otherside of George St now is the Apple Store.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, nimbus said:

South-east corner of George and King St.  American Express building in the background. The shop on the ground floor of the white building is a Darrell Lea store.  (I was a sucker for their Jersey Caramels).  According to Google street view (2018) the white building is still there.  On the otherside of George St now is the Apple Store.

The AMEX building, that's it! I thought the DL store was taller, perhaps I'm getting confused with the old Gowings building. Amazing how that stuff sticks in your head. The Stallions Stable Hairdressers for men was a giveway! :lol:

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Grizz said:

Some years ago I bought a gelatine silver print she made of Ranger in the 1930s, originally given as a gift to her boss Henry Luce. This came from his collection, via the estate of his long-time secretary. As far as I know it's a one-off. She published several shots of Ranger from the same session, but this one never made it out as far as I can tell. Sorry about the reflection of the flash.

ranger.jpg

Need to move the upper jib sheet jib car forward.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Grizz said:

ranger.jpg

Was in Newport last week abd saw the current Ranger in Newport Shipyard. Up on its jackstands with Hunaman just feet away. Crazy, giant beasts but oh so beautiful!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

Are those "speed wrinkles"?

To be fair (but not defending) it was a 'hella party the night before! 

Seeing all six of those beauties (Velsheda, Ranger, Topaz, Shamrock, Hanuaman and Lionheart) in the J-class was a sight to behold. 

And I came to the soiree with an iPhone camera.... :wacko:  Hanuaman looking good below.

DSCN1035 (2).JPG