Random PicThread

2 hours ago, hobot said:

236650952_6697788016913617_3093449157527099560_n.jpg

I actually knew this. But only because I have frequently watched the show "How Its Made", and they had an episode that had a section about studio microphones one time.

Also found the two episodes I've seen re grand pions fascinating. One a ground up construction, and the other a rebuild/refurbishment that included a near complete tear down. Though may parts were preserved.

My 3rd favorite Discovery channel show. After Dirty Jobs and Mythbusters.

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

thank you for the greetings, things are still pretty wonky trying to do this so just bear with me and My energy level is low but I know this is good to bring my brain back online so I'll keep posting

Thanks Nimbus. The whole reset of the SA website where all the pages were wiped clean really had me at a low point. The last six months of it's life I had been just stomping on the gas pedal tryi

Posted Images

59 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Yep..............A&W Burger Barrel in my high school town. 

Cruisin' the 'Dub was  high school.

The height of the muscle car wars - fun times for gearheads.

Teenburgers, root beer and tire smoke.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Cruisin' the 'Dub was  high school.

The height of the muscle car wars - fun times for gearheads.

Teenburgers, root beer and tire smoke.

Speaking of tire smoke…..just came back from carnitas tacos at one of my favorite hole in the wall tortilleria “El Toro Bravo” (bought a few pounds of carnitas and barbacoa for a taco night with kids and grandkids) and pulled up next to a spectacular black ‘66 Chevy Chevelle SS 396. Gave the guy driving it (my vintage) an appreciative nod and got a smile and nod in return. Beautiful car.

1 hour ago, Point Break said:

pulled up next to a spectacular black ‘66 Chevy Chevelle SS 396. Gave the guy driving it (my vintage) an appreciative nod and got a smile and nod in return. Beautiful car.

When we run across something like that my wife comments "original owner too". :D

...pulled up next to a spectacular black ‘66 Chevy Chevelle SS 396. 

Wow! I'm not a Chevy guy but I'd cross over for something like that. Last year saw a factory fuel injected '57 Chevy in Denver. Uber clean restoration with appropriate size modern tires. Young, fit looking driver, thinking a pro ball player.

• Like 1

Speaking of tire smoke…..just came back from carnitas tacos at one of my favorite hole in the wall tortilleria “El Toro Bravo” (bought a few pounds of carnitas and barbacoa for a taco night with kids and grandkids) and pulled up next to a spectacular black ‘66 Chevy Chevelle SS 396. Gave the guy driving it (my vintage) an appreciative nod and got a smile and nod in return. Beautiful car.

saw i mintish 1963ish pontiac the other day, plain jane sedan, probably a pariesenne :D...not sure if my first recognition was the shape OR i noticed the young guy's exagerated arm movements as he cranked that big, un-power assisted wheel!!!

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, chester said:

saw i mintish 1963ish pontiac the other day, plain jane sedan, probably a pariesenne :D...not sure if my first recognition was the shape OR i noticed the young guy's exagerated arm movements as he cranked that big, un-power assisted wheel!!!

My second car was a 1964 Pontiac Catalina Ventura, 389, three an the tree with manual steering.

Gwendolyn would do 90 in second gear and chirp the tires on the shift to high gear.

7 hours ago, Autonomous said:

Wow! I'm not a Chevy guy but I'd cross over for something like that. Last year saw a factory fuel injected '57 Chevy in Denver. Uber clean restoration with appropriate size modern tires. Young, fit looking driver, thinking a pro ball player.

I saw the absolute ultimate, impossible to top '57 Chevy at KMS a few years ago - a black, factory fuelie '57 Nomad.

I'll bet it cost as much as a Caddie BITD.

Show Quality 1957 Chevrolet Nomad “Fuelie” for sale: photos, technical  specifications, description

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Left Shift said:

That's a clear depiction of a very busy 100 years.

Less than 66 years ..

1920px-Wright_First_Flight_1903Dec17_(fu

main-qimg-a4ee48aa0a8fbb687320c7dec41da4

December 17, 1903 - The Wright Flyer's first flight lasts 12 seconds long, and covers just 120 feet.

Just 1 day shy of 65 years and 7 months after that flight ..

July 16, 1969 - Apollo 11 launches at 13:32 UTC.

75 hours and 50 minutes later, having passed once behind the moon the command module entered it's initial lunar orbit. Later that day (July 20th) the lunar module lands on the moon, and six hours after that in the early morning of July 21,  (@ 02:56 UTC) .. 65 years seven mnths and about 2 and 1/2 days after that first flight, Niel Armstrong takes that fateful first step.

From just 12 seconds of powered flight to the moon in less than 66 years.

Still blows my mind if I think about. The amount of progress over that short a time frame is scary sometimes, awesome others.

• Like 2
On 11/14/2021 at 2:07 PM, Point Break said:

Which El Toro Bravo do you frequent? 

2 hours ago, Point Break said:

Tom? I thought your lake would be ...............bigger...........or your boat......smaller. :lol:;)

IMG_3972.JPG

Welcome to the married life of a ssailor...

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Bacchus66 said:

Less than 66 years ..

1920px-Wright_First_Flight_1903Dec17_(fu

main-qimg-a4ee48aa0a8fbb687320c7dec41da4

December 17, 1903 - The Wright Flyer's first flight lasts 12 seconds long, and covers just 120 feet.

Just 1 day shy of 65 years and 7 months after that flight ..

July 16, 1969 - Apollo 11 launches at 13:32 UTC.

75 hours and 50 minutes later, having passed once behind the moon the command module entered it's initial lunar orbit. Later that day (July 20th) the lunar module lands on the moon, and six hours after that in the early morning of July 21,  (@ 02:56 UTC) .. 65 years seven mnths and about 2 and 1/2 days after that first flight, Niel Armstrong takes that fateful first step.

From just 12 seconds of powered flight to the moon in less than 66 years.

Still blows my mind if I think about. The amount of progress over that short a time frame is scary sometimes, awesome others.

People think that things change rapidly now but my grandfather went from oil light and horseback to men on the moon in his life.

• Like 1