Random PicThread

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

thank you for the greetings, things are still pretty wonky trying to do this so just bear with me and My energy level is low but I know this is good to bring my brain back online so I'll keep posting

Thanks Nimbus. The whole reset of the SA website where all the pages were wiped clean really had me at a low point. The last six months of it's life I had been just stomping on the gas pedal tryi

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, hobot said:

2656d7aba7d7422fa7bcf13610d81b9e.jpg

Death Of The Ball Turret Gunner Randall Jarrell, 1914-1965
From my mother’s sleep I fell into the State,
And I hunched in its belly till my wet fur froze.
Six miles from earth, loosed from its dream of life,
I woke to black flak and the nightmare fighters.
When I died they washed me out of the turret with a hose.

- DSK

• Like 1
On 11/17/2021 at 6:29 PM, Marcjsmith said:

Ummm I’ve Ben searching Navionics for this upgrade.....can’t find it...

try OpenCPN

1 minute ago, valis said:

It's not a catastrophe if you post a few extra "top of page" photos.  We will understand and forgive you.

It is after all a Random Pic thread.  Wherever they pop up is good for me!

9 hours ago, Rain Man said:

I was involved in this a little when I was a kid.   In addition to the slot, the cars had special soft rubber tires to increase with friction for cornering.  The video of the cars at the competition shows the cars having significant aero mods to increase downforce.  

The cars still regularly came off the track and they do in the competition video too.  The goal is to complete the most laps while the power is on.  

The video seems to suggest the cars are at full throttle all the time now.  That wasn't the case back in the day - the speed had to be modulated to try to stay on the track longer.  I might be wrong about the situation now but I don't see given the sub-second lap times how much speed control could be going on.

Wintergreen on the tires----6 volt controller with 18 volts to the track--- 6 volt motor rewound and balanced on razor blades to lengthen the time on track before burning out. Must switch hands on the controller to avoid burning your hands.

Competing at 15 years old with a bunch of curmudgeons with money to burn was rewarding. my little "stock" revel racer, blistered hands and all.....

11 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Indeed.

The only thing good about those old mainframe days was the status and perceived glamour of the job by outsiders.

People who weren't around then can't understand the effect of telling people you were a "senior computer operator at IBM". :D

They thought you were Buck Rogers personified. Working at NASA during the Apollo program must have been similar - in perceptions at least.

The compute center I worked in was on the main floor on West Pender - at night we'd draw the curtains back and we'd regularly have an audience being wow'd by the flashing lights of the main console.

Very space age sci. fi.

It seems very Model T viewed from now where my phone is so much more powerful than that floor full of 360 & 370 hardware.

great fuck the Top of the page asshole. 1 line responses please & don't fuck with Hobs thread

• Downvote 1
15 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Indeed.

The only thing good about those old mainframe days was the status and perceived glamour of the job by outsiders.

People who weren't around then can't understand the effect of telling people you were a "senior computer operator at IBM". :D

They thought you were Buck Rogers personified. Working at NASA during the Apollo program must have been similar - in perceptions at least.

The compute center I worked in was on the main floor on West Pender - at night we'd draw the curtains back and we'd regularly have an audience being wow'd by the flashing lights of the main console.

Very space age sci. fi.

It seems very Model T viewed from now where my phone is so much more powerful than that floor full of 360 & 370 hardware.

absolutely.  Family would marvel when I told them I could sort every word in the dictionary along with the definitions in 10 seconds.  Pure magic..   Had the respect of a doctor when people in town found out what I did for a living.  

One can also tell movies and TV shows of the 1970s and 80s as any scene with the sleuth scene would have spinning 9 channel tapes, blinking lights, impact printers giving up the culprit or the next clue.

I once wrote a piece of code to run a mini-computer with lots of color screens on the monitor (eg display) looking important in front of some super computers for a scene in the movie Godzilla 2000. that was filmed in our data center in Tokyo.   I be a star!!!

i also remember being in the data center of Lotus Corp (Lotus 1-2-3 forerunner to EXCEL and shareware we all use today) in Cambridge Mass next to MIT.  Was on the 1st floor and they would open the blinds so folks driving down the street would be impressed which upped their tech creds.   This was right after the 1st attack on the WTC in 1994 and I was besides myself as to me it was taunting every terrorist to take out the data center.

13 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Death Of The Ball Turret Gunner Randall Jarrell, 1914-1965
From my mother’s sleep I fell into the State,
And I hunched in its belly till my wet fur froze.
Six miles from earth, loosed from its dream of life,
I woke to black flak and the nightmare fighters.
When I died they washed me out of the turret with a hose.

- DSK

I always cringe a bit when I read that or see pictures like that of ball turrets under B-17's. My grandfather was a ball turret gunner on one. He often recalled the missions he flew, where they went, but mostly who didn't come back. As far as I know he never flew again after he came home. He also didn't drink and said he never had much interest in it after watching others in his unit drink themselves into oblivion between missions. 

I had a chance to fly on one of the B-17's that does the US airshow circuits a few years ago and spoke to the crew chief about my grandfather's service. He took me to the ball turret and opened it up so I could get a really good look. There really is not much space in there. I never thought of my grandfather as a small man, so I'm not sure how he would have fit, but apparently he made it work. 

• Like 4
20 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

Slot cars....  how did they stay on the track?  magnets?  i know there is usually a pin the fits in the slot...

i didn't have a slot car track I had a TCR track... where you can make the cars switch lanes   dad and i would spend many  hours racing...

TCR and Intelevision...  Not atari and whatever slots the "Normal" kids had...  LOL.  I was that kid.  TCR was always fun to make jumps etc, for cause there was no slot, so you could jump em for miles.  Lost out on all the atari games,  but could crush in sea hunt....  

4 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:
8 hours ago, 00seven said:

great fuck the Top of the page asshole. 1 line responses please & don't fuck with Hobs thread

easiley fixte!                                 

As opposed to 00seven, who is unfixable.

1 hour ago, Ruminator said:

Aloha Hobot!

Hauʻoli Pōʻalima, e ka ʻelemakule pupule!  Manaʻo wau e paʻa ke one i kou ʻeke pōkole a nani nā menehune!

bb.jpg

mm.jpg

floatplan.jpg

Aloha Ruminator!

Mahalo nui iā ʻoe no nā ʻōlelo ʻoluʻolu a ke lana nei koʻu manaʻo e hoʻonanea ʻia ana ʻoukou e kaʻu hana ma ʻaneʻi. Hana maikaʻi ʻoe no laila e ʻoluʻolu e hoʻohui i nā kiʻi nani i kēia ʻaoʻao.

hobot

6978028-HSC00001-7.jpg

FB_IMG_1636682899939.jpg

FB_IMG_1637241850098.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, hobot said:

Boeing-2707-2-1000x563.jpg

Watched a show about that plane the other ay.

Talk about a dream world specification - they wanted it to fly as fast as the SR 71 - Mach 3.

And  carry 50% more than the Concorde.

It never had a chance.

7 hours ago, chester said:

to be faie, there were less streets!

Certainly not as congested with automobiles…..but Chicago, San Francisco, New York etc……still plenty busy! 

A couple quick history minutes video on how the harnessing and responses worked. Cool stuff…….

• Like 3
4 hours ago, hobot said:

gm02.jpg

Now Cadillac Place, owned and primarily occupied by the State of Michigan. Was the former GM Headquarters in Detroit. Most of that staff moved to the Renaissance Center in downtown Detroit on the riverfront. The offices were beautiful, natural wood walls…the staff moved from those huge cushy private offices into modern cubicles, and most weren’t happy about it.

41 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

One of the most innovative drag cars ever.

Definitely the ugliest.

AFAIK that is the very first tunnel ram manifold.

Tip o' the hat to header design complements of Dr Seuss 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, justsomeguy! said:

Oh, I would have a real problem with that bird.

a21qr4w_700b.thumb.jpg.18ebf16b8e9a056a29732c11b5a34aa4.jpg.d11f1f01dbd992370b8ec6dd1e6ac97b.jpg

Good excuse to upgrade!

Had a dog that tore off the plastic bumper and fender cladding on my truck and  I saw itby the time I saw it, he was sitting there wagging his tail, happy as can be.  Was way too late to even say "bad dog" to him.