Random PicThread

11 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

"Sultans of Swing"  ... about to step onto a commuter bus, car radio playing it parked nearby. I stopped and listened to the first half of the song, then got on the next bus and worked that day with that song in my head and wondering who the band was.

Can't believe it was that long ago.

- DSK

That will always be a favorite. Knopfler and a guitar are difficult to best.

• Like 1
  • Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

thank you for the greetings, things are still pretty wonky trying to do this so just bear with me and My energy level is low but I know this is good to bring my brain back online so I'll keep posting

Thanks Nimbus. The whole reset of the SA website where all the pages were wiped clean really had me at a low point. The last six months of it's life I had been just stomping on the gas pedal tryi

Posted Images

2 hours ago, DarthSailor said:

Daughter breaking military bearing during USAF graduation

lizzy.jpg

Love this! You must be proud!

One of my best memories was attending my nephew’s graduation from Annapolis. I thought we could have reached up and touched the Blue Angels as they flew over the stadium. Been to more than a few college graduations, but the military ceremonies are unlike any others.

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I have the same 3.

Can't remember where I was for RFK, MLK or Kent State.

I was in utero during the kennedy deal, watched challenger in my dorm room, watched 9/11 on the interwebs until we were sent home because the office was at the end of a runway. In fact I think the interwebs choked before i got sent home. 

1 hour ago, 130lights said:

Love this! You must be proud!

One of my best memories was attending my nephew’s graduation from Annapolis. I thought we could have reached up and touched the Blue Angels as they flew over the stadium. Been to more than a few college graduations, but the military ceremonies are unlike any others.

Yeah we are. Daughter number one (the one pictured is number 2) graduated from Annapolis 2 years before that pic, I just didn't have a good enough camera at her graduation to get any good pictures of the ceremony. I didn't make that mistake twice.  This Lt. JG at the time performing the oath for her little sister. The one on the left is doing her part to menace china and the one on the right is overseas helping run a hospital for the Air Force.

liz&Lauren.jpg

• Like 9
8 hours ago, Bugsy said:

I will always remember the first time I heard "Rock Lobster" by the B-52s. 

I still remember when I was at my best friends house and he had just come home from the store with Van Halen's first album in 1978 and Eruption started to blast on the stereo. I had never heard of them before this moment. We both sat there with our mouths agape and were speechless.  My life was never the same after that.

• Like 1
Just now, P_Wop said:

Oh please, please, please lock me in there with some glasses and a corkscrew. And a bucket. Did I say please?

I know the guys in Sea-Tac who will build that for ya!

1 hour ago, Ruminator said:

ironic.jpg

My father was a geologist and worked for a time in Cameroon west Africa and their rig/compound got attacked by pygmies(actual pygmies like Johnny Quest) and his friend got an arrow through his calf. They made the arrows out of the 52 gallon drums left around the oil field. I remember them coming home and telling this with his buddy on crutches and my 10 year old self thinking my dad is the coolest guy ever. 

Man I learn so much by googling the pics I don't recognize and the rest are just fodder for weird crap I have memories of. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, DarthSailor said:

My father was a geologist and worked for a time in Cameroon west Africa and their rig/compound got attacked by pygmies(actual pygmies like Johnny Quest) and his friend got an arrow through his calf. They made the arrows out of the 52 gallon drums left around the oil field. I remember them coming home and telling this with his buddy on crutches and my 10 year old self thinking my dad is the coolest guy ever. 

Man I learn so much by googling the pics I don't recognize and the rest are just fodder for weird crap I have memories of. 

OK, so pictures if it happened. 

But my lineage is mainly Norse.  And I sail with a cranky cockatoo.  So I identify with this representation of Odin The All Father.  Only cause my 26-year-old imp starts squawking at 0600 even on holidays! ;)

5 minutes ago, Ruminator said:

OK, so pictures if it happened. 

But my lineage is mainly Norse.  And I sail with a cranky cockatoo.  So I identify with this representation of Odin The All Father.  Only cause my 26-year-old imp starts squawking at 0600 even on holidays! ;)

This is what I am talking about and why this thread is so cool, that guy didn't register as Odin for me but to someone raised in that linage it is just second nature, learning all the time. 

And apologies for no pictures I just have the arrows in the basement some where.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, DarthSailor said:

Yeah we are. Daughter number one (the one pictured is number 2) graduated from Annapolis 2 years before that pic, I just didn't have a good enough camera at her graduation to get any good pictures of the ceremony. I didn't make that mistake twice.  This Lt. JG at the time performing the oath for her little sister. The one on the left is doing her part to menace china and the one on the right is overseas helping run a hospital for the Air Force.

liz&Lauren.jpg

So much respect!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Ruminator said:

Hmm.  Don't think the Pasta Benders flew Corsairs.  But, I think (debatable) the Greeks did.  Bout to do a deep dive into Duck Duck Go.  Will report when I surface.    

23 minutes ago, DarthSailor said:

And apologies for no pictures I just have the arrows in the basement some where.

Crap.  Sorry about the mix-up.  Trying to multi-task with last minute work BS before the loong weekend.  

The "arrow"... cool story about Africa you have there.  Until you find the pictures, I'll tell you a little secret: Hobot likes themes.  And I'm not any bloody good at figuring them out (truthfully).  But if you double click on his pictures, he sometimes names them to give you a hint about the genre...

I named the arrow picture "ironic" as in WW4 would be fought in such a fashion (or so say the literary poets).

11 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Hmm.  Don't think the Pasta Benders flew Corsairs.  But, I think (debatable) the Greeks did.  Bout to do a deep dive into Duck Duck Go.  Will report when I surface.    

Since the Corsairs are still in Navy livery, they may NOT to be on their way to be transferred to another country. The Navy is right particular about that. Maybe to a Naval base on the Italian peninsula?  

However, the Midway was deployed during the first 3 month of '49, embarking a shiite load of Corsairs, no ports of call were given. Hmm.  Maybe the birds were on their way to the Greeks. I found records of Helldivers being given to the Greek Gov't to fight the Sov backed rebels.  The timing is right. 

2 minutes ago, Rotnest Express said:

Three on the tree or four on the floor!

I was 14 or 15 years old, neighbor restoring a Mercedes 190 (?) from the late 50s took me for a ride. 4 speed column mounted shifter, and pretty quick too......

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, hobot said:

Is team Duraflame still hiding back in that shed?

Not sure if they are still there ir not. I was there to haul the equipment from the yard to the left. They had sold out and are downsizing back to just their yard in Anacortes. One of the more "creative" loads I've done.

WL

9 hours ago, Autonomous said:

I had the opportunity to drive an ancient Datsun pickup with a column shifted 4 speed.

V-4, 4 on the tree...

00-s1RU9z0YAKuOn_Dn1CghLIVEgD7x87jwL56ub

Not really as rare as it sounds, just doesn't slide off the tongue as sweetly as 3 on the tree.

What I found to be rare was the push button on the dashboard auto trans on my 1961 Rambler wagon.

1 hour ago, Willin' said:

V-4, 4 on the tree...

00-s1RU9z0YAKuOn_Dn1CghLIVEgD7x87jwL56ub

Not really as rare as it sounds, just doesn't slide off the tongue as sweetly as 3 on the tree.

What I found to be rare was the push button on the dashboard auto trans on my 1961 Rambler wagon.

AMC and Chrysler flirted with those push buttons for a while. My friend had an Imperial which was about 20 feet long that had one as well. Think it was '73

5 hours ago, hobot said:

140958746_880716199167408_4822743790447638098_n.jpg

When I was just a pup, 15 cents for a chocolate coke at the Rexall............you could get a double squirt of chocolate for no extra sometimes.......a quarter would get a few red vines as well, but that was the entire weeks allowance.

10 hours ago, hobot said:

123466216_828314144407614_5946377472286957450_n.jpg

6 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

The consequence of assuming that the guy in front knows what he's doing.

The Honda Point disaster.  North Santa Barbara county.  The captain of the last ship in line knew they turned in too soon, and stopped his ship before running aground!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Point_disaster

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Point Break said:

When I was just a pup, 15 cents for a chocolate coke at the Rexall............you could get a double squirt of chocolate for no extra sometimes.......a quarter would get a few red vines as well, but that was the entire weeks allowance.

Burger, fries, chocolate milkshake for $1.00 including tip at the local Woolworth's on Saturdays.

Get a buck from the old man, hop on our bikes and rode down there - we were cool.

• Like 1
On 11/24/2021 at 7:05 PM, DarthSailor said:

liz&Lauren.jpg

Well fucking done sir

You and your wife should be very proud

• Like 2