Random PicThread

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

thank you for the greetings, things are still pretty wonky trying to do this so just bear with me and My energy level is low but I know this is good to bring my brain back online so I'll keep posting

Thanks Nimbus. The whole reset of the SA website where all the pages were wiped clean really had me at a low point. The last six months of it's life I had been just stomping on the gas pedal tryi

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

not that the b52 was ever an attractive plane,  they did call it the Big Ugly Fat Fucker for a reason.  but the X version with the tandem cockpit layout    ugly...

Buff

• Like 1
18 hours ago, warbird said:
18 hours ago, hobot said:

I hope we learn from pictures like this.   And, pictures like this survive so all to follow learn...

The history of slavery goes back to the earliest civilizations and was global in nature. Fir instance, this picture is Australian around 1900 and those in chains are native Aboriginal people. Many tribal cultures around the world, Native American included, had a practice of enslaving defeated tribes - mostly the woman and children because the men and boys were killed in battle or executed.

The Atlantic slave trade, which the the most frequently examined/discussed in American culture were mostly offered by the Dutch, French, Spanish, Portuguese, and British slave traders. No (or infinitesimally few) American ships were involved in the slave trade. Although there were some European slave traders involved in the capture of slaves, most of the securing/capturing of indigenous Africans were by either partnership expeditions between African nations/tribes and European traders or most often by other African nations/tribes alone, Nigeria being a very active location.

As slavery slowly fell from favor in Europe, but persisted as cheap labor in the American south, the practice slowly fell from favor globally. I think the advancements of ending slavery globally over the last 100 years speaks to the growing recognition of the inhumanity of the practice. Other than some very remote tribal cultures it simply no longer exists for over 100 years now. Unfortunately a more subtle version - illegal human and child trafficking persists and is our global next challenge in this longstanding practice of one group subjugating others for their profit/convenience because they can.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Point Break said:

The history of slavery goes back to the earliest civilizations and was global in nature. Fir instance, this picture is Australian around 1900 and those in chains are native Aboriginal people. Many tribal cultures around the world, Native American included, had a practice of enslaving defeated tribes - mostly the woman and children because the men and boys were killed in battle or executed.

The Atlantic slave trade, which the the most frequently examined/discussed in American culture were mostly offered by the Dutch, French, Spanish, Portuguese, and British slave traders. No (or infinitesimally few) American ships were involved in the slave trade. Although there were some European slave traders involved in the capture of slaves, most of the securing/capturing of indigenous Africans were by either partnership expeditions between African nations/tribes and European traders or most often by other African nations/tribes alone, Nigeria being a very active location.

As slavery slowly fell from favor in Europe, but persisted as cheap labor in the American south, the practice slowly fell from favor globally. I think the advancements of ending slavery globally over the last 100 years speaks to the growing recognition of the inhumanity of the practice. Other than some very remote tribal cultures it simply no longer exists for over 100 years now. Unfortunately a more subtle version - illegal human and child trafficking persists and is our global next challenge in this longstanding practice of one group subjugating others for their profit/convenience because they can.

Not to mention the Barbary Slave Trade and other elements of Islamic slave trading that start in the earliest times and still extend to the present day.

The former is of course part of US history and folklore [...to the shore of Tripoli..]

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

Duo, bi, twin, cadillac of the sky!

Always wondering why folks called them, "...the Cadillacs of the sky..." when the Merlin engines were built by Packard.  Why not the "...Packards of the Sky?"

11 minutes ago, Morgan Crewed said:

Always wondering why folks called them, "...the Cadillacs of the sky..." when the Merlin engines were built by Packard.  Why not the "...Packards of the Sky?"

Thickeng peopel juste gotte lazey, followeng that line of thickeng wede haffe to caulle PT Boates "Packardes of the Sea"  Three 12 cylinderes in eache plywoode boxe.             :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

Noitte siurre aboutte that..........  the Merline refinned by Packard wase prettey potente and beutifulle soundeng...... :):)

IMO the Merlin was the second best sounding engine ever.

The best was the Ferrari Colombo V12.

9 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

not that the b52 was ever an attractive plane,  they did call it the Big Ugly Fat Fucker for a reason.  but the X version with the tandem cockpit layout    ugly...

The XB was designed 75 years ago (1946).

In service for 65 years.   That is function over form.

Ever see one take off with JATO?   It is so damn slow and smokey you swear it runs on coal....

Forever

As I was putting the boat into its slip this afternoon, a group of F22s flew overhead toward Langley in missing man formation.   Musta been a burial at Arlington National of a senior USAF officer..

Wreaths across America is the 18th.  https://www.wreathsacrossamerica.org/

14 hours ago, Point Break said:

Slavery is universal in human history. The decline in slavery IMHO is more due to economics than any increase in kindness or empathy.

Technology has advanced to the point where educated workmen offered opportunity and comforts can out-produce people who are beaten into working against their will. Slavery is not profitable.

This basic lesson is being widely ignored in the USA, a supposedly capitalist country.

- DSK

12 hours ago, hobot said:

227475575_4229841387095128_5641993373152820919_n.jpg

The USAF used to put scaled prototypes onto giant stands at Edwards AFB for checking radar profile, they knew what time the Russia satellites flew overhead, so they always pulled the models into a hanger before the satellites could shoot intel pictures.

What they did not know is the Russians spy satellites were using thermal camera and figured out the shape of new models from the temp differences of the hot concrete versus the cooler areas where the model shaded the concrete.

Doh!

30 minutes ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1634357085834.jpg

Crazy... reminds me of Marty Hochman. He was a co owner of a J29 I raced on out of Cabrillo Beach YC, San Pedro late 80s early 90s.  This picture shook loose some old memories.  Marty said he spent a couple college summers living in a tower in the forested mountains a forest fire lookout/spotter.

2 hours ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1638790406201.jpg

Manhattan slush. 

Nasty stuff.  50% snow, 49% dirty water, 1% salt.  The salt just lowers the melt point temperature to below frickin' ice cold.   Gets in the seams of your shoes and steadily soaks your feet.  Then the salt crusts and cracks the leather.  

The cute girlfriend gave way to visions of Johanna. 

• Like 1