Random PicThread

On 12/19/2021 at 10:29 AM, hobot said:

130212584_854959641743064_1937895846885306456_n.jpg

242524451_339200321274234_8713588826493715952_n.jpg

123833172_833060467266315_7957003561867916019_n.jpg

The tanker TORREY CANYON (scroll to the top photo) was the first "big" oil spill to spur regulations and cleanup protocols worldwide.  A SuezMax tanker built in the late 50's and "jumboized" in mid-60's, she carried 110,000 tons of oil and lost most of that when she grounded and broke up in subsequent storms.

Her captain took a "shortcut" past the Scilly Isles, not a wise plan.  And a last-minute course change didn't happen because they didn't realize while trying to steer the rudder, the autopilot was still on, so their last chance went by the boards.

Here's the long sad story:

https://www.professionalmariner.com/torrey-canyon-alerted-the-world-to-the-dangers-that-lay-ahead/

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

thank you for the greetings, things are still pretty wonky trying to do this so just bear with me and My energy level is low but I know this is good to bring my brain back online so I'll keep posting

Thanks Nimbus. The whole reset of the SA website where all the pages were wiped clean really had me at a low point. The last six months of it's life I had been just stomping on the gas pedal tryi

Posted Images

On 12/15/2021 at 10:38 AM, pbd said:

Huh, guess I've been hearing and doing it wrong all these years.  Learn something new every day.

Dang, next you'll try and tell me Jimi didn't sing "S'cuse me, while I kiss this guy"

43 minutes ago, Kitchen Remodel said:

Huh, guess I've been hearing and doing it wrong all these years.  Learn something new every day.

Dang, next you'll try and tell me Jimi didn't sing "S'cuse me, while I kiss this guy"

I hope there's still a bathroom on the right.

18 hours ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1640013076482.jpg

My father was a navigator in a B-17 in WWII.  He never wanted to talk about it unless he had a glass or three of Pinch.  He also wanted a sailboat all of his life after the war but never got around to it.  The first day we sailed or first boat (f-stop) from the yard to the club we did it for him  -  and many more since then with his grandsons on board.

• Like 4
On 12/20/2021 at 12:16 PM, PeterSailor said:

I actually flew on the plane having the following serial number of that one.

So you are number neighbors with said lunch??  

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Yeager liked it so it must have been better than its rep.

I think it had a fine rep, the rooskies shot down a bunch of planes with it. I think it just was kind of shite at high altitudes due to lack of supercharger, I would guess having the mid engine layout may have made it more nimble. I know it packed a punch with the .50 cals and the cannon out the nose cone made possible by having no engine up front also I believe it was the first fighter with the trike landing gear set-up. I wasn't trying to cast aspersions by referring to it as dreaded. (scanned the wiki article any errors are mine) 

4 hours ago, DarthSailor said:

I think it had a fine rep, the rooskies shot down a bunch of planes with it. I think it just was kind of shite at high altitudes due to lack of supercharger, I would guess having the mid engine layout may have made it more nimble. I know it packed a punch with the .50 cals and the cannon out the nose cone made possible by having no engine up front also I believe it was the first fighter with the trike landing gear set-up. I wasn't trying to cast aspersions by referring to it as dreaded. (scanned the wiki article any errors are mine) 

The Russians loved it, but then again, it was a good fit for their mission.  Why didn't they give this plane to the  Nachthexens who held their own pretty well against the Germans is a mystery

https://www.rbth.com/history/332785-soviet-aces-adore-airacobra