Random PicThread

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

thank you for the greetings, things are still pretty wonky trying to do this so just bear with me and My energy level is low but I know this is good to bring my brain back online so I'll keep posting

Thanks Nimbus. The whole reset of the SA website where all the pages were wiped clean really had me at a low point. The last six months of it's life I had been just stomping on the gas pedal tryi

Posted Images

39 minutes ago, DarthSailor said:

Arrgghh, algebraic notation....I hate thee with the fire of a thousand suns

You mean Reverse Polish Notation, right? I had one of those when I was an Engineering Student. I felt I was an aristocrat of math calculations.... :D

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Laurent said:

You mean Reverse Polish Notation, right? I had one of those when I was an Engineering Student. I felt I was an aristocrat of math calculations.... :D

I thought it was reverse polAsh?  spelling?  Tell me I am wrong, please?

I picked one up after 15-20 years, and had no clue??

Brain cells are not finite!  Like your skin cells flakes off, your brain cells disappear, and are replaced with new ones.

But it has to recycle the old ones, which is why I can't remember what I had for dinner 3 nights ago, yet I can remember all about someone from sailing, or a race, 40 years ago.......

9 minutes ago, billy backstay said:
17 minutes ago, Laurent said:

Brain cells are not finite!  Like your skin cells flakes off, your brain cells disappear, and are replaced with new ones.

But it has to recycle the old ones, which is why I can't remember what I had for dinner 3 nights ago, yet I can remember all about someone from sailing, or a race, 40 years ago.......

Dointe worrey aboute spelleng, juste caulle it RPN, an youlle be fine.                      :)

• Like 1
Just now, Snaggletooth said:

Dointe worrey aboute spelleng, juste caulle it RPN, an youlle be fine.                      :)

My interest is now piqued?  Will look into it tomorrow,  maybe.....:D

5 hours ago, billy backstay said:

I'll bite...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_Polish_notation

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Laurent said:

Thanks Laurent!  I still have one of those HP handheld things that used that, but damned if I could find it, or remember how to use it, all these years later......

14 hours ago, DarthSailor said:

Arrgghh, algebraic notation....I hate thee with the fire of a thousand suns

RPN for the win!

1 hour ago, dolphinmaster said:
9 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

I love thisse moovie..........                          :)

Is that Debra Winger bottom right?

Karen Allen                              :)

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Laurent said:

I thought about that but I have been on Ed's poop-list lately so I choose to avoid anything he might object to in my description, I also remember calling it RPN back in the day. 

1 minute ago, DarthSailor said:

I thought about that but I have been on Ed's poop-list lately so I choose to avoid anything he might object to in my description, I also remember calling it RPN back in the day. 

I remember that, it was and HP95, or something like that??

Just now, billy backstay said:

I remember that, it was and HP95, or something like that??

I just remember it was an HP thing, I am pretty sure my dad had a plug-in HP calculator he used for his oil field calcs that used that entry method, he taught me hw to use it when I was in high school before the TRash 80's came out. I don't remember how much his cost but it was on Mobil Oil's dime at the time.

7 minutes ago, DarthSailor said:

I just remember it was an HP thing, I am pretty sure my dad had a plug-in HP calculator he used for his oil field calcs that used that entry method, he taught me hw to use it when I was in high school before the TRash 80's came out. I don't remember how much his cost but it was on Mobil Oil's dime at the time.

OMG!!  That was the first computer I ever used, when I started my Real Estate career in 1984, after leaving the Boat Nanny world of racing sailboats.  I used Visicalc to create lists of properties for sale, not even knowing that it was a spreadsheet program.  I used it like a word processor.   Later on, I used a defrag program from a 386 processor, to fix a problem with a 486 processor machine.  

We have come a long way since then, 37 years ago!!  Now having small computer web browsers on our tiny mobile phone devices.  I remember at that time, I had a Mercedes 300D diesel, and a mobile phone the size of a NYC phone book on the drivers side floor, to make and accept mobile calls.   

11 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

a mobile phone the size of a NYC phone book on the drivers side floor, to make and accept mobile calls.   

And the next step was a mobile phone mounted in the truck and wired to the horn, at job walks at least one estimator would need to go running to his honking truck to answer the phone!

11 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

I love thisse moovie..........                          :)

Me too - Bridges was great. Did you know he studied the movements of birds to develop his movements in that movie?

My two favourite bits are;

1. Allen is teaching him to drive and he blows through an amber light - Allen gives him a "WTF" and he says "Red means stop, green means go and yellow means go very fast".

2. The cook is giving him a ride and after a while gives him a sideways look and says "You aren't from around here are you"? :D

• Like 1

My dad bought me an HP 35 in 1972 for my last year of engineering school, $400.  Cut my homework time down substantially...though I could not use it on exams, slide rules only.  I think I was allowed to use it on the EIT and PE exams.

59 minutes ago, DarthSailor said:

Those first calculators cost a good weeks pay - probably similar to buying an I phone now.

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Those first calculators cost a good weeks pay - probably similar to buying an I phone now.

The first one I saw was the Bowmar Brain that could do arithmetic and had no memory, no square root.  Cost maybe $360.

102630016p-03-02.jpg

I still have and use my TI-30.  Cost about $30 bucks in the early 70s.  Does - still does - just about everything you really need.  Had to change the batteries this year, again.

th.jpeg

23 hours ago, Laurent said:

I had the hp28s with rpn while I was at the academy.  Still have the damn thing can’t seem to part with it.   Uses N sized batteries.   Getting used to RPN was a challenge 

A1620C08-F6BC-4CF3-99FE-8F59FBA0A289.jpeg

1 hour ago, Left Shift said:

The first one I saw was the Bowmar Brain that could do arithmetic and had no memory, no square root.  Cost maybe $360.

I still have and use my TI-30.  Cost about $30 bucks in the early 70s.  Does - still does - just about everything you really need.  Had to change the batteries this year, again.

th.jpeg

I was given a TI as a parting gift from my job in '79.

I only had to replace the battery once and it worked fine until just a couple of years ago.

Great example of Made in America.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, hobot said:

Frank-Gehrys-own-house.jpg

I believe that is Frank Gehry's add on kitchen, where he built out over his driveway with cobbled together framing and repaved the floor with asphalt - although I'm sure he called it "macadam".

Got published and became famous.

I wonder how that asphalt floor is holding up.  

1 hour ago, hobot said:

main-qimg-582a60a7e306b6cd3720db39f9df5e6a.jpeg

"...No bloody wind, get your arses over the side & clean the hull! Gently wipe it, don't scrub it! You know how much it cost to replace the antifoul on her each year...??" :angry:

On 1/8/2022 at 6:54 PM, Laurent said:

I still have my HP-35. RPN, baby!

I somehow acquired an HP-65 in about 1981.  This was the one with the programmable magnetic card that slipped into a slot just behind the display.  With enormous labor (and lots of time on ocean deliveries) I managed to program complete sun, planet, star and moon sight reduction routines.  They actually worked too!

HP-65 with refurbished card reader - YouTube

• Like 5
8 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

I had the hp28s with rpn while I was at the academy.  Still have the damn thing can’t seem to part with it.   Uses N sized batteries.   Getting used to RPN was a challenge 

A1620C08-F6BC-4CF3-99FE-8F59FBA0A289.jpeg

several years ago HP was hearing from folks lamenting they had not kept their beloved calculators.  So they brought back a couple models, only cheaper than decades ago..

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/plp/accessories/hp-calculators&availability=in-stock

Picked one up a couple years ago as I like calculators over EXCEL in certain situations.

Build quality is very good.

I found my 15c in the basement the other day, new batteries and good as new.  Work gave it to me in the mid-80's and it will long outlive me.  With the LCDs, it would go close to a year on one set of regular watch batteries.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcST45GfumeTefCrkuHmF

• Like 4
On 1/8/2022 at 3:01 PM, hobot said:

5baf326cc8544d88ab7f642bdd799463-boeing-747-50th-anniversary-pictorial-history-15.jpg

A-ticket ride into Hong Kong in its day.

Pilots had to have special endorsements to fly into Tai Kat

Coming in at night you are twisting left and right among mountains to stay out of Communist China and then down onto the deck where you flew below the top of apartments and could watch tvs in the living rooms. 

As you landed the pilot had the nail the brakes else they could go off the runway into the harbor.  Just before its closing in 1998, a couple week old 747-400 did just that coming in during a typhoon.  They had to total the aircraft due to salt water intrusion and the military had to blow the tail off as it was considered a flight hazard..

The new airport is beautiful and a technological wonder on many levels, but has none of the charm of Tai Kat.

4 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

I found my 15c in the basement the other day, new batteries and good as new.  Work gave it to me in the mid-80's and it will long outlive me.  With the LCDs, it would go close to a year on one set of regular watch batteries.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcST45GfumeTefCrkuHmF

Still have mine...

0109221551.jpg

48 minutes ago, Rum Runner said:

What not 12C? I still use one of those.

Pretty sure mine was a 12C also, his must have been new and improved, which is usually neither!! :D