Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

thank you for the greetings, things are still pretty wonky trying to do this so just bear with me and My energy level is low but I know this is good to bring my brain back online so I'll keep posting

Thanks Nimbus. The whole reset of the SA website where all the pages were wiped clean really had me at a low point. The last six months of it's life I had been just stomping on the gas pedal tryi

Posted Images

18 hours ago, hobot said:

1961-Jaguar-E-Type-Series-1-3.8-Litre-Fixed-Head-Coupé-Credit-–-Dirk-De-Jager-©2020-Courtesy-of-RM-Sothebys1.png

 

 

American History teacher in jr. high (public school) drove one of those.  I was in student council and she use to take us to Miami Beach in it to buy bulk bagels to sell at school to raise money for activities. The thing could carry an amazing quantity of bagels! Rita Portnoy was her name and she was insanely attractive, intelligent and "cool".  Her husband was a very lucky man.  Thanks for the 50+ year old memories!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bridhb said:

American History teacher in jr. high (public school) drove one of those.  I was in student council and she use to take us to Miami Beach in it to buy bulk bagels to sell at school to raise money for activities. The thing could carry an amazing quantity of bagels! Rita Portnoy was her name and she was insanely attractive, intelligent and "cool".  Her husband was a very lucky man.  Thanks for the 50+ year old memories!

No complaints then?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2021 at 6:00 PM, hobot said:

e744026384284991daa3d663e144df20-2.jpg

20110209_1971_sylmar_freeway514_cropped1.jpg

gar1.jpg

Yes things are getting back to normal. Thank you Hotbot!!!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, hobot said:

 

 

 

 

153310154_4347597501933453_3815584774552622355_o.jpg

Made me think of this for some reason ...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bridhb said:

American History teacher in jr. high (public school) drove one of those.  I was in student council and she use to take us to Miami Beach in it to buy bulk bagels to sell at school to raise money for activities. The thing could carry an amazing quantity of bagels! Rita Portnoy was her name and she was insanely attractive, intelligent and "cool".  Her husband was a very lucky man.  Thanks for the 50+ year old memories!

You must really be tormented by the "Teachers behaving badly" thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hobot said:

article-2691631-1FA14CB200000578-519_634x707.jpg

file-20180620-137720-1su7b84.jpeg

Glasgow-1980-5.jpg

I was wondering about the Mercurochrome with the hypodermics. I remember my GD saying in the 20-30's they treated syphilis with heavy metals. I remember him saying mercury, wonder if this is the injection used.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, burndoc said:

I was wondering about the Mercurochrome with the hypodermics. I remember my GD saying in the 20-30's they treated syphilis with heavy metals. I remember him saying mercury, wonder if this is the injection used.

Mercurochrome was a skin disinfectant back then, followed by Merthiolate and often used to treat abrasions and punctures, so would be applied before and after injections.  Both left a wicked red stain on your skin. They stung like the dickens so were a badge of honor on the elementary school playground.

 

Between shit like that and mercury amalgam fillings it's a wonder any of us survived.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

Made me think of this for some reason ...

 

Ooh, ooh! Francis, Francis! :D

Loved those corny old comedies. Remember Steamboat Annie? My Three Sons? The Life of Riley?

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Willin' said:

Mercurochrome was a skin disinfectant back then, followed by Merthiolate and often used to treat abrasions and punctures, so would be applied before and after injections.  Both left a wicked red stain on your skin. They stung like the dickens so were a badge of honor on the elementary school playground.

 

Between shit like that and mercury amalgam fillings it's a wonder any of us survived.

Yes. I still have a bottle I use on small burns taking a while to heal. Alcohol was still used mostly for skin. But still who knows?

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Willin' said:

Mercurochrome was a skin disinfectant back then, followed by Merthiolate and often used to treat abrasions and punctures, so would be applied before and after injections.  Both left a wicked red stain on your skin. They stung like the dickens so were a badge of honor on the elementary school playground.

 

Between shit like that and mercury amalgam fillings it's a wonder any of us survived.

 

In the 50's our Moms' sat on the beach, 8 months pregnant, smoking and drinking booze, and slathering baby oil on their skin to get sunburnt, yet most of us turned out okay, right??????

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

 

In the 50's our Moms' sat on the beach, 8 months pregnant, smoking and drinking booze, and slathering baby oil on their skin to get sunburnt, yet most of us turned out okay, right??????

So that was your Mom back there on the porch with mine?

I had a conversation with Mom a while back about some of my struggles growing up. She says 'You did Ok for a dyslexic.' Say WHAT? I was dyslexic? 'Well, they didn't call it that back then, they just called you slow. We found out later after you'd left home what it was called.'

That explained a lifetime of small embarrassments.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Willin' said:

So that was your Mom back there on the porch with mine?

I had a conversation with Mom a while back about some of my struggles growing up. She says 'You did Ok for a dyslexic.' Say WHAT? I was dyslexic? 'Well, they didn't call it that back then, they just called you slow. We found out later after you'd left home what it was called.'

That explained a lifetime of small embarrassments.

 

My former partner in our Real Estate Brokerage, had a second son, who did not speak for a long time, and was considered very slow, perhaps partially retarded.  Yet he turned out to be genius, who is making large dollars in some scientific field somewhere....

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Willin' said:

So that was your Mom back there on the porch with mine?

I had a conversation with Mom a while back about some of my struggles growing up. She says 'You did Ok for a dyslexic.' Say WHAT? I was dyslexic? 'Well, they didn't call it that back then, they just called you slow. We found out later after you'd left home what it was called.'

That explained a lifetime of small embarrassments.

"they just called you slow"  :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, billy backstay said:

 

My former partner in our Real Estate Brokerage, had a second son, who did not speak for a long time, and was considered very slow, perhaps partially retarded.  Yet he turned out to be genius, who is making large dollars in some scientific field somewhere....

that's kinda like my story  :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

 

My former partner in our Real Estate Brokerage, had a second son, who did not speak for a long time, and was considered very slow, perhaps partially retarded.  Yet he turned out to be genius, who is making large dollars in some scientific field somewhere....

Yeah? I'll go with that. I was so smart I knew the actual correct spelling of all those words. The rest of the world was just too slow to follow my lead! B)

I still have major fears of public speaking. They say it can be overcome with enough therapy, but I liken that to learning to smoke cigarettes. Do it long enough and eventually ya stop puking.

Don't need that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, hobot said:

 

a_the_dozer-1.jpg

 

Marvin really showd'em. Took out 1/2 the town on his way out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Willin' said:

Ooh, ooh! Francis, Francis! :D

Loved those corny old comedies. Remember Steamboat Annie? My Three Sons? The Life of Riley?

Sgt Bilko, McHales Navy, F-Troop, Dobie Gillis ... the list goes on

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Poodle56 said:

 

medusa raft.jpg

Different painting.  The detail Hobot showed was from Rembrandt's "Storm on the Sea of Galilee," probably the most famous painting stolen in the still-unsolved Gardner Museum heist.  The recent Netflix documentary on it is quite interesting but was about 2 hours too long.

 

https://www.paintingmania.com/arts/rembrandt-van-rijn/large/storm-sea-galilee-224_37008.jpg?version=17.07.14

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Gladiator Takedown?

yeah, and the afterguard is trying to decide which gate to go around.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You just know the Afterguards going to blame the Fordeck for everything!

 

 

4.jpg

1_5xLi_fxy1e94zIp9ZM4p-g.jpeg

5nSPUs1.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

yeah, and the afterguard is trying to decide which gate to go around.

Yup. I found that painting to be unbelievable, as the afterguard wasn't screaming at the foredeckies, and the rail whales actually seem to be interested.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I gotta imply or suggest BS on this one.

 Would James fucking Bond's gal ( there can be no doubt it was a gal, a very voluptuous gal, of Grecian form, innocent in nature and character but stunningly beautiful to look at except for that one barely noticeable but oh so endearing physical flaw) Friday be typing his letters on a typewriter in 1998? That seems a bit unusual, even for Scotland.

 

1_5xLi_fxy1e94zIp9ZM4p-g.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites