Random PicThread

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

thank you for the greetings, things are still pretty wonky trying to do this so just bear with me and My energy level is low but I know this is good to bring my brain back online so I'll keep posting

Thanks Nimbus. The whole reset of the SA website where all the pages were wiped clean really had me at a low point. The last six months of it's life I had been just stomping on the gas pedal tryi

Posted Images

19 hours ago, White Lightning2 said:

We need a thread titled Debates discussions/Bitchiest of the Random Pic Thread.

Cuz you guys keep crapping in the sandbox!

Occasional comments are expected here. But most of us check in to be awed by the awesomeness that is Hobots masterpiece.

I know, I know. STFU and Harden up!!

WL

Can we get somebody to do something about all the bitching about people that bitch too much?

And besides, I wasn't bitching, I was kvetching............

- DSK

On 1/12/2022 at 1:46 PM, billy backstay said:

And like "John Smith" was his "real" name!! :P

Some of the Indigenous languages had words that were difficult to pronounce by a non-native speaker.

When whites were first exploring around Mt Rainier, they had a guide to show them the approaches. 

They couldn't say his name either, so they called him "Indian Henry".

There is still a valley on the mtn called "Indian Henry's Hunting Grounds".

oops, sorry, 

D17170-09-R-696x560.jpg

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Point Break said:

Well…..I can’t seem to erase the video above but the bottom pic is the “elephants foot” in the basement at Chernobyl. It’s still there…..and will be for quite a while. 

The-Elephants-Foot-of-the-Chernobyl-disaster-1986-small-384x253.jpg

You cane copey link of thet oune imiagge and pastte it.                                      :)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:
8 hours ago, hobot said:

The next step is packing it in grease.  The boxes in the back hold the Harleys.

Cosmoline

They use a big industrial hose and a squeegee to cover it in cosmoline... nasty stuff but it's truly a forever goop. In the 2000s I was pulling out industrial parts (mostly preassembled pump rotors and shafts) packed in cosmoline that were good as new, just awful to clean.

- DSK

50 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Cosmoline

They use a big industrial hose and a squeegee to cover it in cosmoline... nasty stuff but it's truly a forever goop. In the 2000s I was pulling out industrial parts (mostly preassembled pump rotors and shafts) packed in cosmoline that were good as new, just awful to clean.

- DSK

I heard in high school that there was a warehouse full of Jeeps and Harleys from WWII packed in grease.

Another urban legend.

1 minute ago, Fat Point Jack said:

I heard in high school that there was a warehouse full of Jeeps and Harleys from WWII packed in grease.

Another urban legend.

They're in that huge warehouse sitting next to the crate with the Ark of the Covenant.

But they'll be good as new until about 3050AD or so.

- DSK

5 minutes ago, Fat Point Jack said:

Another urban legend.

There was a warehouse full of Jeeps and Harleys from WWII. The stock was sold off cheap some 60-70 years ago.

1 hour ago, Fat Point Jack said:

Another urban legend.

Out behind that warehouse is the Corvette that the guy died in and permeated the fiberglass with the smell of decomposition.

1 hour ago, warbird said:

There was a warehouse full of Jeeps and Harleys from WWII. The stock was sold off cheap some 60-70 years ago.

Mini Moke's, the Jeep-like Austin and Morris Minis were shipped in knocked down kits, just like the first Army Jeeps.

2 hours ago, warbird said:

There was a warehouse in Philadelphia down by the shipyard that had a bunch of Packard-built Merlin engines and spare parts in it that got bought by one guy for a ridiculous price.

I remember this as it was the first time I heard my dad say "you don't make money when you sell something, you make it when buying it." 

• Like 1

I can remember reading about Merlins in Cosmoline that sold for $200.

They kept the Unlimited Hydros powered until turbines replaced them.

Fighters that sold for less then the value of the fuel in them. War surplus gear supplied hot rodders well into the 60's.

• Like 2

While in the USMC, one of my tasks was scouring military surplus equipment lists for thing we might need. This ran from supply vans (fit in the back of a duece and a half) to airconditioning units to a towable office with slide outs.   

In an earlier version of SA, in the GA bar there was a long thread about some world war II fighter planes coated in cosmoline, crated and buried at an old world war II airstrip somewhere in southeast Asia?

Whatever it became in that story? Did it die off as alot urban legend stories too?

244f7867631a2480.jpg

When Finland bought F18´s in 90´s all contenders were testflown. At one point Bae Hawk trainers were used as agressor. This Hawk "shot down" F-16 and Mirage. See tail.

48 minutes ago, Pertsa said:

244f7867631a2480.jpg

When Finland bought F18´s in 90´s all contenders were testflown. At one point Bae Hawk trainers were used as agressor. This Hawk "shot down" F-16 and Mirage. See tail.

I'm not surprised, it's really difficult to hide in the trees with an F-18

- DSK

8 hours ago, Pertsa said:

244f7867631a2480.jpg

Yeah but he went below the hard deck!