26 minutes ago, DaveK said:

So who knows about this place and what's it like to live there???

Thanks!!!

All I know is that you can skate board across the entire state in less than five minutes.....

Big change from Texas but it's a nice area.  I had a good friend who lived in Nashua for a long time.  I've spent a lot of time in Manchester at the ski shows.  Not too bad to cross over on either the 101 or Route 4 to get to the coast.

It's not a bad place, except for the 9 months of winter, the 2 months of mud season, and of course you'll have to deal with the black flies the other month.... But right now lobster are cheap, although you'll need to go a few miles east to get them at the dock, and from what I hear, the crystal meth problem has abated a bit in the last year (Covid 19).

20 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

It's not a bad place, except for the 9 months of winter, the 2 months of mud season, and of course you'll have to deal with the black flies the other month.... But right now lobster are cheap, although you'll need to go a few miles east to get them at the dock, and from what I hear, the crystal meth problem has abated a bit in the last year (Covid 19).

Sounds like absolute paradise......

Dave, seriously, check out both South Dakota and Utah.....2 of the most under rated states I've ever been to......

32 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

Dave, seriously, check out both South Dakota and Utah.....2 of the most under rated states I've ever been to......

Rick..... as someone who has a very narrow field of experience in optics, I can't just pick and choose where to go unless I decide to quit all of that and go live on a beach in Mexico like someone else I know ........ like El Mariachi

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RImike said:

There is a Budweiser brewery there.

That's a fuking deal killer if I've ever seen one.....

• Like 1

I used to live 10 miles away.

Most the town was built in the 80s when high tech hit.  Nice bedroom community.

Yes there is a the Bud plant. The far end of the industrial complex of the wasterwater treatment plant (ever wonder why Bud tastes like piss??).

Across the street is the FAA regional center that manages flights handed off across the Atlantic until they reach Europe.

North end of town you are getting into Manchester which is an old mill town.  On the town line is the local strip joint.

On the south side is a outlet mall, Fidelit Investment's IT department, and at the end of the street is Raymarine's North American Hq.

Just south is Nashua and their minor league baseball team.

Rt 3 goes through the middle. You can go 40 miles to rt 128 around Boston, or head north to go skiing or a run to Montreal.

If you have a daughter, their field hockey team is perennial state champs. Decent school system.

And you are 10 minutes from one of the finest indoor gun ranges around.

Some decent restaurants in town including The Common Man, the Lobster Boat, and an Italian joint about 200 yards up the street run by the daughter of one of the big time names in North Boston.

Besides outlets it has the standard chain stores (McD, BK, Lowes, a couple DDs)

abutting towns include manchester (sucks, mill town), Bedford (nicer version of Merrimack since they got out of Manchester school school and spent millions building new a couple years ago), Hollis (old money) and Nashua (see Manchester).

Houses are not cheap in that town and the property taxes are very high since houses is where all the revenue comes from since there is no income or sales tax in the state.  You want a good school system for your kids. You will get it and pay for it in Merrimack.

If you do not mind shoveling snow, it is a nice place.

• Like 2

I thin Lake Baboosic is in town or on the border

Has a decent set of 1 designs for lake racing.

Most of us wrap speed down 3 to 128 and keep our boats in beverly/salem/marblehead

I can't comment on the town.  My impression driving through the top 3 in the summer is rather nice rural living.   There is much more terrain then the rural living I'm used to.   The consequence is you can't expect to go anywhere very fast.  The roads were modified from deer trails and haven't seen a civil engineer since Washington's cousin surveyed them.  They make state highways of the grain belt feel like the autobahn.   Check out rush hour traffic.  That isn't a joke.   I spent an hour in bumper to bumper on a twisting rural road, expecting to find an accident or construction or something.  I finally reached the choke point three miles later:  a three way stop where the roads going to the nearest thee small (10,000 people?) towns formed a Y.   Its amazing how little traffic can cause a traffic jam when the roads are designed for even less.    

Edit:  @Foreverslow"Warp speed?"   I recall bicycle speed along the coast (assuming the cyclist is going uphill and has bad knees).  Is my memory faulty?

30 minutes ago, DaveK said:

Austin is so fuk'ed up now.

I thought the same thing when I left 35-odd years ago.  Except for the women.  They were a lot slimmer then.

• Like 3

My father hired a guy from Lubbock to work for him back in the mid eighties. This guy, freshly graduated from UT architectural school, and his brand spankedy new wife drove up to New England in their 1979 Trans AM with a U-Haul trailer...... In January.

It took him a week to get un white knuckled. "I never seen so many curves in a road in my entire life!" He said one day, after he traded in his Trans AM for a front wheel drive Toyota.

Yes you can throw a Frisbee across two state lines if you have a good arm, and the wind is just right, but also remember that a 15 mile commute might take you through 3 towns, not 3 peanut fields.

Oh, and the people in New England may seem terse, or taciturn, but that's just because they aren't glad handing you, like people in certain other parts of the country.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Lark said:

I can't comment on the town.  My impression driving through the top 3 in the summer is rather nice rural living.   There is much more terrain then the rural living I'm used to.   The consequence is you can't expect to go anywhere very fast.  The roads were modified from deer trails and haven't seen a civil engineer since Washington's cousin surveyed them.  They make state highways of the grain belt feel like the autobahn.   Check out rush hour traffic.  That isn't a joke.   I spent an hour in bumper to bumper on a twisting rural road, expecting to find an accident or construction or something.  I finally reached the choke point three miles later:  a three way stop where the roads going to the nearest thee small (10,000 people?) towns formed a Y.   Its amazing how little traffic can cause a traffic jam when the roads are designed for even less.    

Edit:  @Foreverslow"Warp speed?"   I recall bicycle speed along the coast (assuming the cyclist is going uphill and has bad knees).  Is my memory faulty?

the midwest is plain boring when it comes to roads. Not only do you have the alltitude and curve changing constantly but you have to watch out for deer and moose at night.  Nothing like hammering through the gears over and over again in a BMW/GTI,/911 late at night.

Speaking of which, after an evening regatta on the north shore followed by a couple pops and slices of pizza at the club afterwards, it is 10:30 before you are heading home. Rt 128 and 3 are 70-75 mph roads. as the heavy commuter traffic is long gone.  you are correct they are parking lot at 8am and 4 pm..

Merrimack is 30 miles inland though rt 101 goes through town straight to the Atlantic near the NH/Maine border.  So darn little backups inland..

7 hours ago, El Mariachi said:

I can help with the last one...I live in Park City.  Lots of texans live here now.  A couple is moving here next month from TX, I helped them find a Melges 24.

• Like 1

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the info! I'll have to check out the almanac for weather...... I've never lived where it snowed other than last Feb where Austin was shut down for a week.

18 hours ago, El Mariachi said:

Some of us gotta be near big water......

50 minutes ago, DaveK said:

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the info! I'll have to check out the almanac for weather...... I've never lived where it snowed other than last Feb where Austin was shut down for a week.

You won't get that much snow there. Probably just a few feet a year. 

49 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Some of us gotta be near big water......

The North Atlantic fuking sux. The South Pacific doesn't fuking suk.

Choose wisely my Friend.....:lol:

15 hours ago, Foreverslow said:

the midwest is plain boring when it comes to roads. Not only do you have the alltitude and curve changing constantly but you have to watch out for deer and moose at night.  Nothing like hammering through the gears over and over again in a BMW/GTI,/911 late at night.

Speaking of which, after an evening regatta on the north shore followed by a couple pops and slices of pizza at the club afterwards, it is 10:30 before you are heading home. Rt 128 and 3 are 70-75 mph roads. as the heavy commuter traffic is long gone.  you are correct they are parking lot at 8am and 4 pm..

Merrimack is 30 miles inland though rt 101 goes through town straight to the Atlantic near the NH/Maine border.  So darn little backups inland..

If you're driving an older 911 and are bitching about shifting gears a lot? Then you bought the wrong fuking car......:lol:

FB_IMG_1615762637538.jpg

On 5/13/2021 at 4:04 PM, DaveK said:

Rick..... as someone who has a very narrow field of experience in optics, I can't just pick and choose where to go unless I decide to quit all of that and go live on a beach in Mexico like someone else I know ........ like El Mariachi

Optics are big in the Boulder-Longmont area, for some reason some work out of CU-Boulder and Google has led to defense investment in remote sensing. But it's not a pleasant place to live anymore. The legal weed barely makes it tolerable. Overcrowded, over-policed, overpriced.

I find the the Northeast to be really livable. Insular. But that seems to go away after twenty or so years.

I live in the SW corner of New Hampshire.

Wofsey's right (hate to admit). NH is is insular, but the Southeast part of NH has become a suburb of Boston. Many Massachusetts residents moved over the border to escape the higher cost of living and tax structure while still working in Boston or the tech corridors. Their number and influence is doing much to change the social, political and economic climates.

Merrimack though not coastal has a kinda moderated (how's that for a precise meteorological description) climate. Not the huge snows or super frigid temps that an outsider might associate with New England. Don't know what your interests are but I'd be more than happy to comment or provide suggestions. I sold my boat after living here a few years. Kept it on the Long Island Sound and then in RI but was a PITA to get to. Wasn't a cruiser so didn't move it  to Maine or MA. Whatever.

Good luck. I'm moving to Colorado. Just to be closer to keep an eye on Wofsey.

• Like 2
On 5/14/2021 at 10:40 AM, DaveK said:

I used to live near Merrimack. My daughter lives a couple hours north of there now. It is basically a suburb of greater Boston without state income tax. It is nice if you like suburbs. It is not a bad place to raise a family. But the only reason to live there is if you work in Mass, don’t mind slow commutes in bad weather, and really don’t want to pay state income tax. It’s not real New Hampshire culturally, it is Massachusetts. If you want real NH these days you have to go to Concord and north of there. It is not really close to anything; still a drive to go skiing, lakes, ocean, Boston.

I had a friend who was a life long Californian that moved his family to Mass two years ago, not too far from there, because they wanted an authentic New England life or some crazy Californian fantasy bullshit, and they are miserable. They have not adjusted to the weather, commuting in weather, or staying inside. Also every conversation you have with another man will center around the Boston Red Sox or the Patriots to the point where you wonder if everybody else is a robot on infinite repeat and you want to blow your brains out. This is because they sit in their cars stopped on Route 3 commuting in freezing rain for four hours a day listening to angry sports radio. The pizza is far better than what you are used to. There is absolutely no good Mexican food. What people there think is good Mexican food is not good Mexican food.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, loneshark64 said:

I used to live near Merrimack. My daughter lives a couple hours north of there now. It is basically a suburb of greater Boston without state income tax. It is nice if you like suburbs. It is not a bad place to raise a family. But the only reason to live there is if you work in Mass, don’t mind slow commutes in bad weather, and really don’t want to pay state income tax. It’s not real New Hampshire culturally, it is Massachusetts. If you want real NH these days you have to go to Concord and north of there. It is not really close to anything; still a drive to go skiing, lakes, ocean, Boston.

I had a friend who was a life long Californian that moved his family to Mass two years ago, not too far from there, because they wanted an authentic New England life or some crazy Californian fantasy bullshit, and they are miserable. They have not adjusted to the weather, commuting in weather, or staying inside. Also every conversation you have with another man will center around the Boston Red Sox or the Patriots to the point where you wonder if everybody else is a robot on infinite repeat and you want to blow your brains out. This is because they sit in their cars stopped on Route 3 commuting in freezing rain for four hours a day listening to angry sports radio. The pizza is far better than what you are used to. There is absolutely no good Mexican food. What people there think is good Mexican food is not good Mexican food.

I nominate this for the POTW award.....:lol:

• Like 3

At least weed is legal and sold next to the liquor stores in Massachusetts if you need something to pass the long winters...

9 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

At least weed is legal and sold next to the liquor stores in Massachusetts if you need something to pass the long winters...

Weed, the Quaalude of the fuking plant world. 

Pass.....

On 5/14/2021 at 11:19 AM, El Mariachi said:

The North Atlantic fuking sux. The South Pacific doesn't fuking suk.

Choose wisely my Friend.....:lol:

I'm waiting for months now on a Kwajalein Island gig but they are on government contract island time and they don't move as fast as you'd think they would considering they are an ICBM tracking facility. Colorado is too f'ing cold and I don't ski. Plus my Corsair doesn't fit really anywhere but here and Florida. Not sure what to do with that although my boat did originate out of Rhode Island. But I don't have young kids, not married but engaged and we can eat shitty mexican food even though we are from Texas. Just don't serve me bad BBQ.

And btw, the job is in Merrimack so I'd imagine I have a zero commute. I can't driving slow in traffic all day.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, DaveK said:

I'm waiting for months now on a Kwajalein Island gig but they are on government contract island time and they don't move as fast as you'd think they would considering they are an ICBM tracking facility. Colorado is too f'ing cold and I don't ski. Plus my Corsair doesn't fit really anywhere but here and Florida. Not sure what to do with that although my boat did originate out of Rhode Island. But I don't have young kids, not married but engaged and we can eat shitty mexican food even though we are from Texas. Just don't serve me bad BBQ.

And btw, the job is in Merrimack so I'd imagine I have a zero commute. I can't driving slow in traffic all day.

If that job blows apart and you want to taste what REAL freedom is like, in one of the most gorgeous, least expensive and interesting places this side of Tierra Del-f'ng-Fuego.....hit me up and I'll give you a 30 minute tourist tour of Baja California....on the house....:D

20200508_120817~2.jpg

FB_IMG_1586318573482.jpg

FB_IMG_1584553255567.jpg

36 minutes ago, DaveK said:

I hope that is Corsair as in Vought and not as in Edsel.

42 minutes ago, ropetrick said:

I hope that is Corsair as in Vought and not as in Edsel.

That's really funny... My dad was an autopilot engineer for Vought starting back when I was born in '62 in Dallas. The Corsair was a bad ass looking plane with that huge intake. My Corsair is the one Ian Farrier designed as in 24' Trimaran.

• Like 1
On 5/13/2021 at 3:24 PM, DaveK said:

So who knows about this place and what's it like to live there???

Thanks!!!

Used to be a nice place, left there 20 yrs back so it may have changed. NH is a good state if you are self sufficient, it's being slowly corrupted by Massholes diffusing North, for the benefits of a low tax state, that they then negate with entitlement attitude. Consider living North of Route 4 and commuting, or West out towards Dublin where you will still find natives. We were in Northwood FWIW. 

Had Lioness at Kittery Point YC in Newcastle for years, the Piscataqua has a formidable current, much like Cape Fear, but you can play the eddies, just keep on lobsta float between you and the shore, and mind the ledges off Great Bay Marine's Main dock.

• Like 1
On 5/13/2021 at 6:09 PM, DaveK said:

Is it like living in a small town there? Austin is so fuk'ed up now.

You want small town... NH has a few "incorporated cities" in Manchester, Concord, Dover and Rochester and  the rest are townships. "Native" means you were born in that town, not just the county and state, and often you have 8 generations of forebears buried there. 

Many towns still have "Town Meeting" which is participative democracy at the grass roots level. Rockwell has a painting of "Freedom of Speech" that would fit in. Multi-generational long standing differences of opinion akin to feuds, and voting on warrant articles such as the one to fund "1/6 of a fire truck this year. "Take away quote: "Why do we need to buy a 4WD truck for the building inspector? Why can't we hire somebody who's smart enough to already own one?"  

Note that the definition of "Yankee" is variable with location: 

• Outside the US it's applied to all US citizens
  • Outside the North East it's applied to the North East, NY and New England
  • In New York it's a baseball team, and those people from New England
  • In New England: it's applied to those folks who cleave to the traditional ways, generally rural, families came to the area before the war (Revolutionary) and who tend to talk as slow and with a differently thick accent as the "good old boys" of the South. You don't want to piss them off, but they will stand up for you, just like other country folks. 

Hint: you will value high traction vehicles, especially if you are within 20 miles of the coast, where "N'orEaster" is a real thing: Think winter hurricane with horizontal snowfall and everybody driving 70 MPH on the freeway, learning to negotiate the residue left by plows. Then again take your plow to work is not an uncommon thing, it does make merging into the BMW's a lot easier.  

"Frost Heaves" are signs to honor during "Mud Season", when the puddles stop bubbling, you are ready for spring. The seasons are significant, you will have more jackets than you would believe, and change them frequently as the weather and tasks vary during the day. 

If you live out in the "sticks" vs the "burbs" (and Merrimack is mostly "burbs", but some "sticks"... one more town to the West and you are in deep pines) a chainsaw, Plow for your 4Wd truck, generator and a partner who knows how to use them are good investments, the neighbors will be armed and polite, though reserved and may well plow you as a courtesy. I had a widowmaker taken down by a neighbor with an arborist truck on a Saturday for an 18 pack... 

Dartmouth college is just up Rt 89 in Hanover, along with Mary Hitchcock Memorial Hospital, medical care to rival Boston's Longwood district. 

Going to the transfer center  dump on Saturday, don't be surprised if you bring back more than you took. 

• Like 3
On 5/16/2021 at 6:32 PM, DaveK said:

That's really funny... My dad was an autopilot engineer for Vought starting back when I was born in '62 in Dallas. The Corsair was a bad ass looking plane with that huge intake. My Corsair is the one Ian Farrier designed as in 24' Trimaran.

Beautiful design ... the ultralight backpacker of the cruising world.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Dave  quick update:

Was in Merrimack the week before Memorial Day for the graduation of a buddy's son from UNH.

After a delivery of another buddy's trawler from Annapolis is Beverly Mass last week, I made a quick run up to stock up on hooch and New England stables and see a couple old crew on Saturday before returning to the bay Sunday.

Merrimack traffic on both occasions was totally out of control.  Used to the stop and go on RT 3 to Burlington/128 and points north on Saturdays (swapping of the vacation rentals), but all the streets in town were crammed full of cars.  Maybe it was the hot weather (New England folks suffer through 5 months of BS winter and go batshit crazy the minute the weather breaks), or maybe the demise of COVID restrictions (saw this effect all along the east cost last week), but there was  congestion everywhere.

Also seeing a lot of new housing going in.  Looks like Merrimack is migrating from a sleepy New England town to a small city quickly.

I must admit the fried clams at the Lobster Boat were was perfect as one could get.  Made sure to also stop by on my 2nd trip as it not something I can get south of NJ.

Thanks @foreverslow!! Unfortunately the Merrimack job is now off the table so I wont be moving there!! Would love the seafood though!!

4 hours ago, Foreverslow said:

Hey Dave  quick update:

Was in Merrimack the week before Memorial Day for the graduation of a buddy's son from UNH.

After a delivery of another buddy's trawler from Annapolis is Beverly Mass last week, I made a quick run up to stock up on hooch and New England stables and see a couple old crew on Saturday before returning to the bay Sunday.

Merrimack traffic on both occasions was totally out of control.  Used to the stop and go on RT 3 to Burlington/128 and points north on Saturdays (swapping of the vacation rentals), but all the streets in town were crammed full of cars.  Maybe it was the hot weather (New England folks suffer through 5 months of BS winter and go batshit crazy the minute the weather breaks), or maybe the demise of COVID restrictions (saw this effect all along the east cost last week), but there was  congestion everywhere.

Also seeing a lot of new housing going in.  Looks like Merrimack is migrating from a sleepy New England town to a small city quickly.

I must admit the fried clams at the Lobster Boat were was perfect as one could get.  Made sure to also stop by on my 2nd trip as it not something I can get south of NJ.

Proper (Pwopah) whole belly fwied clams are just....... Yeah.... They'ah just the best! (Pwovidence accent dayah)

From what I hear, pretty much all of small town New England is getting absorbed by the Bos-Wash crowd.

I'm glad I got out after 55 years before it killed my soul, even if the 7 months of brutal weather couldn't kill my body.

I will say, that I should have stayed in the southern Caribbean, after I left New England. North Florida has it's bonuses, but the trade off isn't what I thought it would be. (Cue my traditional stalkers to tell me to leave).