Chicago Mac - Spot what's wrong in this photo!

It's always cool to be featured in a photo for an ad or event unless the photo looks like this! Besides the Mount Gay Rum hats which haven't been cool since the late 90's, there are at least 3 fundamental sailing mistakes in this picture. Curious if others can spot them before I through in my 2 cents! :D

Mac.png

21 minutes ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

It's always cool to be featured in a photo for an ad or event unless the photo looks like this! Besides the Mount Gay Rum hats which haven't been cool since the late 90's, there are at least 3 fundamental sailing mistakes in this picture. Curious if others can spot them before I through in my 2 cents! :D

Mac.png

They aren’t fucking racing yet, so I see no problems. At worst, a line is hanging over the side near the bow. I’m sure they cleaned that up before the start. 

On 5/13/2021 at 6:33 PM, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

no beer holders, only one pfd, and the horseshoe is upside down

Crew appears to be fit and it's summer, they could tread water for a bit if they fell overboard. You'd have to hold a gun to my head to wear a PFD in those conditions. 

• Like 2
On 5/13/2021 at 5:11 PM, Ishmael said:

There's a Hunter Legend 37 with wing keel trying to race?

A friend of mine kicked ass for years with one of those.

looks like prestart, before puting up jib. engine needs to be off within so many minutes of start, PFDs on

1 hour ago, pudge said:

Crew appears to be fit and it's summer, they could tread water for a bit if they fell overboard. You'd have to hold a gun to my head to wear a PFD in those conditions. 

All good until someone gets knocked out and falls off and then ugliness occurs. Slip and fall, boom strike, whatever. The thing about not wearing it is deciding when to wear it and often times its possibly too late when the manly decision to endanger others if finally abandoned.

• Like 1

Those red hats aren't faded enough to be Mount Gay.   If they are MAGA then there's two sailing errors right there.  The third would be not having a hailing port on the transom.  Probably didn't want to embarrass their home town with the hats.

The horseshoe is in the "good luck" position, so that's cool.  

On 5/13/2021 at 5:33 PM, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

also, the person looking at the instruments forgot corrective lenses or is maybe just throwing up in a bucket

Definitely rollin a joint, dreads give it away.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Those red hats aren't faded enough to be Mount Gay.   If they are MAGA then there's two sailing errors right there.  The third would be not having a hailing port on the transom.  Probably didn't want to embarrass their home town with the hats.

you mean the horseshoe hanging on my carport entrance is upside down? Shit, that explains alot.

16 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:
1 hour ago, Left Shift said:

you mean the horseshoe hanging on my carport entrance is upside down?

Eazilley correctted...........               :)

1 hour ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

you mean the horseshoe hanging on my carport entrance is upside down? Shit, that explains alot.

You have to collect the good luck, not let it run out!  

Or not..It seems that there are always two - or three - viewpoints.  https://goodlucksymbols.com/good-luck-horseshoe/#1-which-way-should-a-good-luck-horseshoe-hang

But my mom said to hang it "U"p.  

7 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

You have to collect the good luck, not let it run out!  

Or not..It seems that there are always two - or three - viewpoints.  https://goodlucksymbols.com/good-luck-horseshoe/#1-which-way-should-a-good-luck-horseshoe-hang

But my mom said to hang it "U"p.  

its done, found it on my property almost 30 years ago, I will test it up and see how it goes as I feel I have been pretty lucky

Just now, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

its done, found it on my property almost 30 years ago, I will test it up and see how it goes as I feel I have been pretty lucky

When is a mom wrong?  

On 5/13/2021 at 6:33 PM, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

no beer holders, only one pfd, and the horseshoe is upside down

also, the person looking at the instruments forgot corrective lenses or is maybe just throwing up in a bucket

That's how you keep the luck from running out.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, sailak said:

Still a no-no to leave a winch handle in or did we get over that yet?

This, and the spinnaker furled and dropped right on the foredeck. And maybe the chap hanging onto the boom? 

When is the middle man going to give us his "at least three fundamental sailing mistakes"?  Curious minds want to know.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Grinder said:

How so?

NO, Its cool.  Class allows Code (mearues as a spin).  But I guess they've got a problem with the LRH/65/tweeners right now

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, GABA said:

NO, Its cool.  Class allows Code (mearues as a spin).  But I guess they've got a problem with the LRH/65/tweeners right now

I would wager lots of classes are dealing with the tweener issue right now. 

To me that is a simpler struggle than the traditional tweener struggle, which is a pre adolescent child that is in between ding dong ditching and sneaking out in the middle of the night and taking your car.

10 hours ago, glexpress said:

I would wager lots of classes are dealing with the tweener issue right now. 

To me that is a simpler struggle than the traditional tweener struggle, which is a pre adolescent child that is in between ding dong ditching and sneaking out in the middle of the night and taking your car.

I only have tweener issues when my bicycle seat is too high.

• Like 1
On 5/18/2021 at 1:02 AM, DtM said:

When is the middle man going to give us his "at least three fundamental sailing mistakes"?  Curious minds want to know.

Bit of a trick question, as I was initially surprised by the terrible crew weight distribution that is often seen on PHRF boats and closer resembles a church picnic than a race crew, until I realized they were headless and not racing... 

Still, I found 3 items in the photo beyond the Mount Gay hat sightings.

1. Horse Shoe Mounting (As identified by @Chris in Santa Cruz, CA)

2. They are heading south with the Chicago Skyline on their Starboard side which is clearly the wrong way to Mac Island (As identified by @coyotepup)

3. The crew on sitting on the dog house is already dressed for the Grand Hotel Lawn Party as he is sporting his "Nantucket Reds", not quick dry shorts!    

SA always makes any mundane thread entertaining...

Thanks for playing!

On 5/17/2021 at 5:16 PM, Left Shift said:

Good eye on the hailing port, didn't catch that one! If you are state registered you don't need one but I don't see state bow numbers so if it is USGC registered it is indeed missing the 3" tall hailing port. 

23 hours ago, GABA said:

I think that's a problem in the 111 class.....

Obviously a handicap event...

On 5/19/2021 at 8:09 AM, stayoutofthemiddle said:

3. The crew on sitting on the dog house is already dressed for the Grand Hotel Lawn Party as he is sporting his "Nantucket Reds", not quick dry shorts!    

And what about the shoes? Leather/suede Sperry's get wet on day one, won't be dry before they finish.

• Like 1

60 000 miles+  including 23 Hobarts & I've never worn a pair of sabots.  Deck shoes do dry once the stop getting wet.  1200(ish) miles on a TP I will admit kept them wet,  but so was everything else!

OK I'm not doing this in cold lake water,  but it can get a bit cool down the Tassie coast & my feet have never been my first concern about getting cold.

43 minutes ago, TUBBY said:

60 000 miles+  including 23 Hobarts & I've never worn a pair of sabots.  Deck shoes do dry once the stop getting wet.  1200(ish) miles on a TP I will admit kept them wet,  but so was everything else!

OK I'm not doing this in cold lake water,  but it can get a bit cool down the Tassie coast & my feet have never been my first concern about getting cold.

Meh, It really is not that cold that time of the year, and no fucking salt....  

45 minutes ago, TUBBY said:

Eh, once the water isn't hard enough to play hockey on it's all good for swimming!  

• Like 1

That's it.  Last time I listen to the crazy Canadian tell me how hard he did it back home!

On 5/19/2021 at 9:23 AM, Nick G said:

Obviously a handicap event...

We were racing one-design in the Chi Mac for the last several years.  Code 0 is allowed as an extra 'spinnaker.'  Code 65 is not.  But, we do have one which we use for non-one-design racing, e.g., double-handed.

Warlock is a class boat.  Not much wrong with that picture IMHO.  They are all just cold-chilling before the race.

Hroth

• Like 1
15 hours ago, hrothgar said:

We were racing one-design in the Chi Mac for the last several years.  Code 0 is allowed as an extra 'spinnaker.'  Code 65 is not.  But, we do have one which we use for non-one-design racing, e.g., double-handed.

Warlock is a class boat.  Not much wrong with that picture IMHO.  They are all just cold-chilling before the race.

Hroth

Its good you didn't come around sooner and harsh our silliness before it could get going.