Hi all, I was hoping to get some advice on buying a Force 5.

Here is a link to the ad:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/d/gig-harbor-force-sailboat-trailer/7321184386.html

I have lots of experience with sailing (Lasers and sunfish included) and fiberglass repairs. However, I've never seen a Force 5 in person. The price seems right but is it possible to fix the mast step? The owner mentioned that "the mast doesn't sit at the correct angle". That's all I know at the moment so let's assume it needs to have the whole step rebuilt. Is it worth buying? I know that's a loaded question but I just thought I would see if the consensus is go for it or forget about it.

Thanks!

Josh

2 hours ago, PNWSailor said:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/d/gig-harbor-force-sailboat-trailer/7321184386.html

I have lots of experience with sailing (Lasers and sunfish included) and fiberglass repairs. However, I've never seen a Force 5 in person. The price seems right but is it possible to fix the mast step? The owner mentioned that "the mast doesn't sit at the correct angle". That's all I know at the moment so let's assume it needs to have the whole step rebuilt. Is it worth buying? I know that's a loaded question but I just thought I would see if the consensus is go for it or forget about it.

Thanks!

Josh

Fix is the same as a Laser or Sunfish mast step. IMHO the best way is cut out a panel of the deck along side the mast step and have good access to do good fiberglass work inside, then FG tape that panel back in.

BITD I sailed/raced a Force 5 a lot, liked it considerably more than the Laser. Make sure compression rings on the rudder post are good, they're the cheapest part of the assembly and quickest to corrode...

FB- Doug

Laser mast step repair info easy to find. The boat as it is is worth well below $1000. When my first Laser mast step failed in 1981 the insurance company “totaled” the entire boat but let us keep the boat. We did and my dad and I fixed the mast step with the official Laser mast step repair kit. Between insurance money and money for selling the repaired boat, a new Laser and lots of spending money.

so, take a look at the mast step repair resources / info and if you think it’s within your skill set, make a low offer ($200??? - anyone else comment?) and see what happens! Probably some people around in the Seattle area that can give you a hand.

cost to pay someone to make the fix is unknown to me but @Gouvernail could give you an idea. Probably not cheap to pay someone to do the right job.

• Like 1

That would be a $5-700 F5 if the mast step was not broken. Keep shopping. Still has shit clams, shit traveler and presumably shit everything else from 1970s.

It doesn't look broken too badly but it is broken. Boats that finish well at the NAs can be had under $2k 

• Like 1

I looked at it also (on Craigs, not in person).  I see F5s in that condition pop up on the West Coast for $200-$300.  They look like dynamite boats.  I bargained on one with a trailer in good shape and got it down to $500, up in Tahoe, then snow hit and I cancelled.  There is one in Chico right now for about $200.  But that doesn't mean the guy with that ad will be sensible.  https://chico.craigslist.org/boa/d/meadow-valley-force-sail-boat/7305707448.html

Thanks for all the great info! I'm a bigger guy so I think F5s would fit me well. However, it seems like this particular boat needs more work than it's worth. I'll keep looking. Thanks again.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Alan Crawford said:

What about a Finn or Megabyte? Several Finns for sale on the class web site. Megabytes are harder to find for sale.

Either boat would be great. I'm keeping my eyes open for anything. I currently have a Hobie 16 and I love it but I'm looking for something I can single hand and launch a bit easier for a quick evening or weekend sail. No mast up storage around here for the Hobie so it takes a full day to get to the launch, rig etc.

I know, life's big problems huh? :D

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/14/2021 at 5:21 PM, PNWSailor said:

Thanks!

Josh

Yes it is..  there is a whole kit with very detailed instructions...

http://www.force5sailboats.com/prod05.htm

How about an OK?  Some similarities to force 5-  class seems to be having a resurgence in places.  Neat masts…  NW was a hotbed for them for many years…

might check out coeur d’alene -  there were some hulls that were going for free a few years ago- Weeks boatyard (IIRR) was making new ones up until a few years ago, so they might be a resource

http://www.weeksyachtyard.com/prod01.htm

I made the performance transition from Coronado 15's (don't laugh, that was a pretty hot little boat for its day) to much hotter rides via a Force 5. Eventually ended up sailing Flying Dutchman after and still remember some wild rides solo in the Force 5. Put a good rudder on it and don't bust the mast step and have fun.

8 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

I made the performance transition from Coronado 15's (don't laugh, that was a pretty hot little boat for its day) to much hotter rides via a Force 5. Eventually ended up sailing Flying Dutchman after and still remember some wild rides solo in the Force 5. Put a good rudder on it and don't bust the mast step and have fun.

The Coronado 15 was a great little boat. My college sailing club had a fleet of them.

FB- Doug