Jump to content

Recommended Posts

 

Cops Apologize for Mistakenly Detaining, Handcuffing First Black Judge on B.C. Supreme Court

Canada's Vancouver Police Department has apologized for mistakenly arresting the first Black person to be named to the Supreme Court of British Columbia. 

Selwyn Romilly, 81, told CBC News that five police officers approached him while he was on a morning walk at around 9:45 a.m. local time Friday. "They said that they got a complaint about someone fitting my description, and before I could say anything, they told me to put my hands behind my back and they shackled me with handcuffs," he said. 

Romilly insisted that he did not have a gun in his hand or on his person. "Here you have—at 9:45 a.m., near to Third Beach where you have lots of people—you have a black guy ... shackled in handcuffs and people passing by. I found that most embarrassing," he said. 

Officers informed the retired judge that he matched the description of a 40-50 year old Black suspect and handcuffed him for "officer safety." The cops removed the handcuffs after Romilly told them he was a retired Supreme Court judge.

Read more: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/cops-apologize-for-mistakenly-detaining-handcuffing-first-black-judge-on-bc-supreme-court/ar-BB1gLYNx?li=BBnbfcL  
 

romily_website-300.jpg 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just wish they'd open the damn border.  I've been waiting to close a boat sale since this shit started.   Please Canada?  Please?   We are sorry for the whole trump thing. We promise wofsey won't come over.  We swear. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

I just wish they'd open the damn border.  I've been waiting to close a boat sale since this shit started.   Please Canada?  Please?   We are sorry for the whole trump thing. We promise wofsey won't come over.  We swear. 

Fuck that. Just catapult the damn boat over the border like a dead cow and call it good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grrr... said:

I just wish they'd open the damn border.  I've been waiting to close a boat sale since this shit started.   Please Canada?  Please?   We are sorry for the whole trump thing. We promise wofsey won't come over.  We swear. 

 

Border Wall.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

The lunacy is obviously not contained in the USA. Mutiny is serious shit.

Quote

A Canadian soldier is facing rare mutiny charges after allegedly urging fellow members of the armed forces not to help with the distribution of Covid-19 vaccines.

The Department of National Defence has announced charges against officer cadet Ladislas Kenderesi, a reservist in Ontario. Kenderesi has been charged with “endeavoring to persuade another person to join in a mutiny” and “behaving in a scandalous manner unbecoming of an officer”, according to officials.

The charge of mutiny is rare in Canada and has not been used in decades.

On 5 December 2020, Kenderesi appeared at an anti-lockdown rally in Toronto, wearing his military uniform. He warned attendees about “killer” vaccines – and called on other soldiers to disobey their orders to help distribute the vaccine.

“I’m asking the military, right now serving, truck drivers, medical, engineers, whatever you are, do not take this unlawful order in distribution of this vaccine,” he said at the rally. “I might get in a lot of shit for doing this. But I don’t care any more.”

He also called taking the vaccine “criminal”.

Officials say Kenderesi was relieved of his duties soon after his appearance at the rally and charged by military police on 12 May.

Kenderesi’s supporters have launched a crowdfunding account for his legal fees, saying he was speaking out against what they called “experimental gene therapy” during the event.

Under the country’s military law, mutiny carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment. Experts have said a life sentence is highly unlikely. The maximum sentence for scandalous conduct is five years.

The armed forces have played a key role in Canada’s vaccine rollout, overseeing national distribution through Operation Vector. Soldiers have also helped manage long-term care homes in Ontario and Quebec, the centre of previous outbreaks. The prime minister, Justin Trudeau, has called the operation the “greatest mobilization effort Canada has seen since the second world war”.

Despite Kenderesi’s statements, Canadians have expressed a strong interest in receiving the vaccine. More than 50% of the population has received at least one dose of a vaccine.

No court martial date has yet been set for Kenderesi.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/25/canadian-soldier-mutiny-court-martial-vaccine-coronavirus

Link to post
Share on other sites

On a lighter note, rumor has it around here that the Canadian-US 

border may open up to tourism soon. 

There are numbers of both USAeans and Canadians who have cottages across the 

border that they have not been able to visit in over a year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

On a lighter note, rumor has it around here that the Canadian-US 

border may open up to tourism soon. 

There are numbers of both USAeans and Canadians who have cottages across the 

border that they have not been able to visit in over a year. 

NFW.  Manitoba is blowing up with cases right now, their ICU's are over capacity and they are flying critical patients to other provinces for treatment.  

Here in BC, today's announcement of the re-opening plan did not include tourism for residents within the province until July 1 earliest.  So, if we can't travel, it is unlikely that the border will re-open.  

Call us again at the end of July, something might happen then.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, since the US handling of the pandemic has been incompetent beyond belief, 

it's right neighborly of you to even think about re-opening. 

On the other hand, the sane among us do have the pokes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually the USA is opening its border as of June 22nd.

Last thing the drama teacher in Canada said was, no open Canadian border until we get to the appropriate percentage of Canadians vaccinated. 

Lets all watch and see.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Keith said:

Actually the USA is opening its border as of June 22nd.

Last thing the drama teacher in Canada said was, no open Canadian border until we get to the appropriate percentage of Canadians vaccinated. 

Lets all watch and see.

I thought the US border never closed.  My parents travelled overland to Seattle twice during the first three months of this year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That's very unusual.

You can jump on a plane and fly out to America.

People from the lower mainland have not been allowed to get to their property in Bellingham.

People wanting to come and go from Point Roberts have not been able to, as a mater of fact Point Roberts set up a ferry/boat service so people could get to and from Point Roberts.

So, maybe ask your parents how they managed to cross, there's a ton of people in the lower mainland that would love to know how they managed to get through.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

'Unthinkable' discovery in Canada as remains of 215 children found buried near residential school

 

The gruesome discovery took decades and for some survivors of the Kamloops Indian Residential School in Canada, the confirmation that children as young as 3 were buried on school grounds crystallizes the sorrow they have carried all their lives.

"I lost my heart, it was so much hurt and pain to finally hear, for the outside world, to finally hear what we assumed was happening there," said Harvey McLeod, who attended the school for two years in the late 1960s, in a telephone interview with CNN Friday.
"The story is so unreal, that yesterday it became real for a lot of us in this community," he said.
 
 
The Tk'emlúps te Secwépemc community in the southern interior of British Columbia, where the school was located, released a statement late Thursday saying an "unthinkable loss that was spoken about but never documented" was confirmed.
"This past weekend, with the help of a ground penetrating radar specialist, the stark truth of the preliminary findings came to light -- the confirmation of the remains of 215 children who were students of the Kamloops Indian Residential School," said Chief Rosanne Casimir of the Tk'emlúps te Secwépemc community.
"To our knowledge, these missing children are undocumented deaths," she said in the statement.
For decades, McLeod says he and former students like him would wonder what had happened to friends and classmates.
"Sometimes people didn't come back, we were happy for them, we thought they ran away, not knowing if they did or whatever happened to them," said McLeod, who now serves as chief of British Columbia's Upper Nicola band.
"There were discussions that this may have happened, that they may have passed," he says adding, "What I realized yesterday was how strong I was, as a little boy, how strong I was to be here today, because I know that a lot of people didn't go home."
The Kamloops Indian Residential school was one of the largest in Canada and operated from the late 19th century to the late 1970s. It was opened and run by the Catholic Church until the federal government took it over in the late 1960s.
Link to post
Share on other sites

It was opened and run by the Catholic Church

Colour me surprised. That ongoing criminal conspiracy also operated one of those hellish Magdalen laundries in Quebec.

When is that fucking organization going to be put out of business? This sort of criminal abuse is SOP for them, not an aberration.

I'm sure everyone involved in these residential school murders is long dead but names should be named.

There were pictures in the paper the other day of the little handcuffs they put on small children to take them to school.

Sickness beyond comprehension.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

It was opened and run by the Catholic Church

Colour me surprised. That ongoing criminal conspiracy also operated one of those hellish Magdalen laundries in Quebec.

When is that fucking organization going to be put out of business? This sort of criminal abuse is SOP for them, not an aberration.

I'm sure everyone involved in these residential school murders is long dead but names should be named.

There were pictures in the paper the other day of the little handcuffs they put on small children to take them to school.

Sickness beyond comprehension.

There is a lot to look at in regards to that place for sure, the fact that the government ran the place for ten years without looking into the rumors, should be one question asked.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, badlatitude said:

There is a lot to look at in regards to that place for sure, the fact that the government ran the place for ten years without looking into the rumors, should be one question asked.

The whole residential school thing was a very dark tragedy, any governmental averting of eyes needs to be called out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

The whole residential school thing was a very dark tragedy, any governmental averting of eyes needs to be called out. 

215 children, I can't begin to fathom the horror they went through.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, badlatitude said:

'Unthinkable' discovery in Canada as remains of 215 children found buried near residential school

 

The gruesome discovery took decades and for some survivors of the Kamloops Indian Residential School in Canada, the confirmation that children as young as 3 were buried on school grounds crystallizes the sorrow they have carried all their lives.

"I lost my heart, it was so much hurt and pain to finally hear, for the outside world, to finally hear what we assumed was happening there," said Harvey McLeod, who attended the school for two years in the late 1960s, in a telephone interview with CNN Friday.
"The story is so unreal, that yesterday it became real for a lot of us in this community," he said.
 
 
The Tk'emlúps te Secwépemc community in the southern interior of British Columbia, where the school was located, released a statement late Thursday saying an "unthinkable loss that was spoken about but never documented" was confirmed.
"This past weekend, with the help of a ground penetrating radar specialist, the stark truth of the preliminary findings came to light -- the confirmation of the remains of 215 children who were students of the Kamloops Indian Residential School," said Chief Rosanne Casimir of the Tk'emlúps te Secwépemc community.
"To our knowledge, these missing children are undocumented deaths," she said in the statement.
For decades, McLeod says he and former students like him would wonder what had happened to friends and classmates.
"Sometimes people didn't come back, we were happy for them, we thought they ran away, not knowing if they did or whatever happened to them," said McLeod, who now serves as chief of British Columbia's Upper Nicola band.
"There were discussions that this may have happened, that they may have passed," he says adding, "What I realized yesterday was how strong I was, as a little boy, how strong I was to be here today, because I know that a lot of people didn't go home."
The Kamloops Indian Residential school was one of the largest in Canada and operated from the late 19th century to the late 1970s. It was opened and run by the Catholic Church until the federal government took it over in the late 1960s.

Ho Lee Fuk... 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

There were pictures in the paper the other day of the little handcuffs they put on small children to take them to school.

Sickness beyond comprehension.

And they claim to be pro-life . . 

so there is that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This sounds very...Trumpian. I blame the water, not enough lead.

Death bed denials, pandemic 'hoax' accusations common in southern Manitoba hospital patients, doctor says

Quote

A southern Manitoba hospital physician says staff are exhausted by a recent crush of admissions, but they're also up against something else that's draining energy and morale.

Staff at Boundary Trails Health Centre are routinely hearing from sick and unvaccinated patients who believe the pandemic is a hoax — some remaining defiant even on the brink of death.

 

"We hear this almost every day, and I know that's startling," said Dr. Ganesan Abbu. "It's difficult ... to know that almost 100 per cent of our admissions have not been vaccinated."

Abbu is an anesthetist and special care unit doctor at Boundary Trails, located over 100 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg and between Morden and Winkler.

The district surrounding the two small cities has the lowest vaccination rate in the province, according to provincial data.

...

 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winkler-doctor-hospital-vaccine-hesitancy-1.6044904

Link to post
Share on other sites

Put the fucking morons out in the parking lot and rope it off so intelligent people won't go near..

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

It was opened and run by the Catholic Church

I am of the opinion that there is sufficient evidence to charge the Papacy with crimes against humanity.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I'm sure everyone involved in these residential school murders is long dead but names should be named.

Not necessarily. From what I understand, the school ran up until 1978. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Bugsy said:

I am of the opinion that there is sufficient evidence to charge the Papacy with crimes against humanity.  

I think we may be a long way from that. Remember that this occurred over 85 years, that's a little more than 2.5 kids a year. We need cause of death established before we go anywhere. What was the normal attrition rate? Is the reason for the large number partially because the government didn't ship bodies home? How many died from malnutrition during world war or during the depression? How many died from the pandemic in 1918?

I am not trying to sugar coat this, what I would like to see is an earnest examination of why 215 kids died. Then we can go from there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

I think we may be a long way from that. Remember that this occurred over 85 years, that's a little more than 2.5 kids a year. We need cause of death established before we go anywhere. What was the normal attrition rate? Is the reason for the large number partially because the government didn't ship bodies home? How many died from malnutrition during world war or during the depression? How many died from the pandemic in 1918?

I am not trying to sugar coat this, what I would like to see is an earnest examination of why 215 kids died. Then we can go from there.

Normal attrition rate? Your kids school lose 2.5 kids a year?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, inneedofadvice said:

Normal attrition rate? Your kids school lose 2.5 kids a year?

Kids die in a school year, whether it is one, two, or none. We still need a norm to understand what happened. This was a governmental institution, abuse, accidents, neglect, illness, were common. It is just one more thing that we need to examine. The leading cause of death among children in the early 1900s, were influenza, tuberculosis, and diarrhea, and accounted for 40% of deaths in that period.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

I think we may be a long way from that. Remember that this occurred over 85 years, that's a little more than 2.5 kids a year. We need cause of death established before we go anywhere. What was the normal attrition rate? Is the reason for the large number partially because the government didn't ship bodies home? How many died from malnutrition during world war or during the depression? How many died from the pandemic in 1918?

I am not trying to sugar coat this, what I would like to see is an earnest examination of why 215 kids died. Then we can go from there.

point.

No vaccines no antibiotics. 

1900, one in three children  died in canada before their fifth birthday.

People were not kind to children in general , orphans and stolen children even less so.

People still aren't kind to children.

66 kids were killed in Gaza last month.

https://www.unicef.org/press-releases/2019-concludes-deadly-decade-children-conflict-more-170000-grave-violations-verified

Children continue to pay a deadly price as conflicts rage around the world, UNICEF said today. Since the start of the decade, the United Nations has verified more than 170,000 grave violations against children in conflict – the equivalent of more than 45 violations every day for the last 10 years. 

The number of countries experiencing conflict is the highest it has been since the adoption of the Convention on the Rights of the Child in 1989, with dozens of violent armed conflicts killing and maiming children and forcing them from their homes. 

“Conflicts around the world are lasting longer, causing more bloodshed and claiming more young lives,” said Henrietta Fore, UNICEF Executive Director. “Attacks on children continue unabated as warring parties flout one of the most basic rules of war: the protection of children. For every act of violence against children that creates headlines and cries of outrage, there are many more that go unreported.” 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The residential schools are a national embarrassment.  Kids were taken by force away from their parents.  First nation Kids aged 3 and up were stolen for reprogramming by our country.  If parents didn't send their kids to the schools the parents were sent to jail. 

Finding 215 Kids buried in a Kamloops residential school is so sad. 215 Kids who died without the parents. Nameless Graves, nameless dead children. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

point.

No vaccines no antibiotics. 

1900, one in three children  died in canada before their fifth birthday.

People were not kind to children in general , orphans and stolen children even less so.

People still aren't kind to children.

66 kids were killed in Gaza last month.

https://www.unicef.org/press-releases/2019-concludes-deadly-decade-children-conflict-more-170000-grave-violations-verified

Children continue to pay a deadly price as conflicts rage around the world, UNICEF said today. Since the start of the decade, the United Nations has verified more than 170,000 grave violations against children in conflict – the equivalent of more than 45 violations every day for the last 10 years. 

The number of countries experiencing conflict is the highest it has been since the adoption of the Convention on the Rights of the Child in 1989, with dozens of violent armed conflicts killing and maiming children and forcing them from their homes. 

“Conflicts around the world are lasting longer, causing more bloodshed and claiming more young lives,” said Henrietta Fore, UNICEF Executive Director. “Attacks on children continue unabated as warring parties flout one of the most basic rules of war: the protection of children. For every act of violence against children that creates headlines and cries of outrage, there are many more that go unreported.” 

 

These kids very possibly were engaged in a different kind of conflict. The Catholic Church of that time had a very strict policy of discipline, once we look into the cause of deaths, we may find a very disagreeable stink of broken bones, and death. It still needs to be looked at, and if anyone still alive is responsible then I hope the Canadian government regards it as a supreme disgrace.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

These kids very possibly were engaged in a different kind of conflict. The Catholic Church of that time had a very strict policy of discipline, once we look into the cause of deaths, we may find a very disagreeable stink of broken bones, and death. It still needs to be looked at, and if anyone still alive is responsible then I hope the Canadian government regards it as a supreme disgrace.

I agree. This is but one of a number of mass childrens graves found in the grounds of these old orphanages.

However. I'd like to know what proportion of orphanages were NOT run by Catholic nuns 50 years ago.

Catholic bashing is easy when or if 90% of these institutions were administered by the Catholic Church, but where were other religions when people were in need in the days before government largess ?

(I'm not a catholic and have no more use for them as a religious org than any other, but censure should come with a measure of credit too)

The unmarked graves of 40 children from a Protestant residential institution have been found in a Dublin cemetery.

The remains belong to boys and girls who were born at Bethany Home in Rathgar in the city.

The home provided accommodation for unmarried Protestant women and their children.

Recently discovered records showed that infant residents were buried in and around common graves in Mount Jerome Cemetery between 1935 and 1936.

Derek Leinster, who now lives in England, spent his first four years in Bethany.

He will convene the home's first survivors' group meeting there next Wednesday.

The 69-year-old said he and other residents were grossly neglected and still suffer poor health as a result.

Mr Leinster also said the State regulated Bethany and should apply its redress or compensation scheme to its survivors.

A spokesman for the Church of Ireland said he agreed and described the deaths as "tragic".

The home was run by independent trustees drawn from the Protestant community.

https://www.bbc.com/news/10138075

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, badlatitude said:

I think we may be a long way from that. Remember that this occurred over 85 years, that's a little more than 2.5 kids a year. We need cause of death established before we go anywhere. What was the normal attrition rate? Is the reason for the large number partially because the government didn't ship bodies home? How many died from malnutrition during world war or during the depression? How many died from the pandemic in 1918?

I am not trying to sugar coat this, what I would like to see is an earnest examination of why 215 kids died. Then we can go from there.

There was an analysis of the Kamloops school "attrition" rate. It concluded those kids would have been better off in a Nazi POW camp.

Of course the Catholic church helped Nazi war criminals escape so it would appear they learned from the German's mistakes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

I agree. This is but one of a number of mass childrens graves found in the grounds of these old orphanages.

However. I'd like to know what proportion of orphanages were NOT run by Catholic nuns 50 years ago.

Catholic bashing is easy when or if 90% of these institutions were administered by the Catholic Church, but where were other religions when people were in need in the days before government largess ?

(I'm not a catholic and have no more use for them as a religious org than any other, but censure should come with a measure of credit too)

The unmarked graves of 40 children from a Protestant residential institution have been found in a Dublin cemetery.

The remains belong to boys and girls who were born at Bethany Home in Rathgar in the city.

The home provided accommodation for unmarried Protestant women and their children.

Recently discovered records showed that infant residents were buried in and around common graves in Mount Jerome Cemetery between 1935 and 1936.

Derek Leinster, who now lives in England, spent his first four years in Bethany.

He will convene the home's first survivors' group meeting there next Wednesday.

The 69-year-old said he and other residents were grossly neglected and still suffer poor health as a result.

Mr Leinster also said the State regulated Bethany and should apply its redress or compensation scheme to its survivors.

A spokesman for the Church of Ireland said he agreed and described the deaths as "tragic".

The home was run by independent trustees drawn from the Protestant community.

https://www.bbc.com/news/10138075

If you want to get into a percentage allocation of dead children between various religious groups, have at it.

Read up on the Magdalen laundries first though.

Then you can move on to the Spanish inquisition, the pipeline for aiding the escape of Nazi war criminals, the worldwide raping of children by priests and abuse of children by nuns, all of which was and still is aggressively covered up by the church etc. etc. etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 child dieing without their parents is too many. It doesn't matter why the kids died.  They were stolen from their parents by us, white christian Canadians. We owe more than we could ever pay. The cause of death is irrelevant, the crime is the Indian Acts of the past and its agents. The churches ran most of these schools but not all, some of the schools were run by provincial governments.  So blaming the churches is bullshit. Our governments allowed this, and wrote laws to punish parents who refused. It is bullshit and racist not to recognize the totalitarian roll  our country played in their lives and deaths in the harshest terms. The kids may have died in their parents arms regardless, and the grief would be theirs. If an Indian agent tried to take my kids away from me, there would be hell to pay. I would be going to jail for a different reason, and I'm sure some of the first nation parents did too. 

Like him or not, Stephen Harper offered an apology, I don't think a Liberal government has.  I don't know how to fix the past, but I definitely won't be glossing over the roll whitey played in this disgusting part of our Canadian past. We own it, all of us. The crimes might not have been committed by anyone I ever voted for, but those parties still exist and the racism is institutionalized in the current governments. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Fuck you Irish - I don't have any responsibility for any of that simply because I have white skin, any more than my German neighbour bears responsibility for the Nazis because she was an infant in WW II.

The people who did it bear the responsibility, totally and completely.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You talk a lot of shit about Republicans owning it. You are just another old fart who can't take responsibility too.  This shit was still going on when you were of voting age. It was ended by the time I was born. So fucking own it. We have a responsibility to our country and its people to adress this. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Fuck you Irish - I don't have any responsibility for any of that simply because I have white skin, any more than my German neighbour bears responsibility for the Nazis because she was an infant in WW II.

The people who did it bear the responsibility, totally and completely.

Ah. No, you don't bear any personal responsibility. But, as a nation you owe an apology.

Just as I, who didn't even live in Australia until 1970, owe an apology to the stolen generations.

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd, 13 February 2008:

We apologise for the laws and policies of successive Parliaments and governments that have inflicted profound grief, suffering and loss on these our fellow Australians. We apologise especially for the removal of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children from their families, their communities and their country.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The apologies have been made, the next step (and the one after that and after that) is to figure out what to do next to address the damage done. It has started but much remains to be done and blame apportioned where it is deserved. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

If you want to get into a percentage allocation of dead children between various religious groups, have at it.

Read up on the Magdalen laundries first though.

Then you can move on to the Spanish inquisition, the pipeline for aiding the escape of Nazi war criminals, the worldwide raping of children by priests and abuse of children by nuns, all of which was and still is aggressively covered up by the church etc. etc. etc.

I'm well aware of the practices of the Magdalen laundries.

I'm also well aware of the harm inflicted on children from the UK after WW2 who as orphans were bundled up and sent to Australia and Canada to be handed over to god knows who.

And the Home Children, 100,000 kids sent to Australia, Canada, NZ and South Africa from the 1860's to the 1970's.

And the Thousands of children forced to work in factories and mills.

We can get outraged about the past. 

We can also work and expend our energy in making sure that Children are no longer abused in immigrant detention centres TODAY.

Or casually maimed and murdered by drones and rockets.

Or slowly starved by selective sanctions with political motives.

If you care, support UNICEF .

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-the-discovery-of-a-mass-grave-at-a-former-residential-school-is-just/

The discovery of a mass grave at a former residential school is just the tip of the iceberg

Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond (Aki-Kwe) is the director of the Residential School History and Dialogue Centre and a professor of law at the Peter A. Allard School of Law, at the University of British Columbia.

NG2ASI422JIELPY2VCRNVUYPQM.jpg

A woman places one of 215 pairs of children's shoes on the steps of the Vancouver Art Gallery as a memorial to the 215 children whose remains have been found buried at the site of a former residential school in Kamloops, in Vancouver, on May 28, 2021.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Irish River said:

You talk a lot of shit about Republicans owning it. You are just another old fart who can't take responsibility too.  This shit was still going on when you were of voting age. It was ended by the time I was born. So fucking own it. We have a responsibility to our country and its people to adress this. 

Fuck you and your self righteousness.

The fact that I was born before it ended does not make me responsible for it in any way. Not even a tiny bit.

In point of fact the first vote I ever cast was for the government that shut them down for good.

 

Oh, and get a fucking job.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Canada finds hundreds of graves at former indigenous school: media

Agence France-Presse 
June 24, 2021 

Hundreds of unmarked graves have been found near a former Catholic residential school for indigenous children in western Canada, local media reported late Wednesday. 

Excavations at the site around the former school in Marieval, Saskatchewan began at the end of May. They followed the discovery of the remains of 215 schoolchildren at another former indigenous residential school in Kamloops, British Columbia, which sent shock waves through Canada. 

The finds revived calls on the Pope and the Catholic church to apologize for the abuse and violence suffered by the students at these boarding schools, where they were forcibly assimilated into the dominant culture. 

In a statement quoted by several Canadian media, including CBC and CTV, the native Cowessess community said it had made "the horrific and shocking discovery of hundreds of unmarked graves" during excavations at former Marieval boarding school. 





Read more: https://www.rawstory.com/canada-finds-hundreds-of-graves-at-former-indigenous-school-media/ 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect they will find similar around most if not all of those hellholes.

The catholic church is resisting giving over any records from those places.

Big surprise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I suspect they will find similar around most if not all of those hellholes.

The catholic church is resisting giving over any records from those places.

Big surprise.

Everyone needs to see the Catholic Church's dirty laundry, and if anyone associated with this horror has been honored with a plaque, statue, or a name on a building, it needs to be tossed in the trash.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

They need to use that ground scanning radar around the sites of the Magdalen laundries in Quebec and Ontario.

I suspect they will find similar horrors but they will be young girls and infants in those places.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sadly this is just the early stages of this atrocity.

They just updated the most recent school to 751 at the site.

I'm not sure how many schools they have to look at.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Keith said:

Sadly this is just the early stages of this atrocity.

They just updated the most recent school to 751 at the site.

I'm not sure how many schools they have to look at.

Yeah but just ask one of the resident righties, he'll tell you how much better life is for poor people now than back then. This proves it, huh? Poor people are hardly ever dragged into sweatshops and worked to death, then buried anonymously, these days. See, trickle down DOES work!

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites

There were a total of 139 residential schools, but some may have more than one body dump. The question of what happened to priest's babies could get ugly for the Catholic church, but I guess we should remember that the Anglican and United Churches ran schools too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Anglican Church, the United Church, and the Presbyterian Church have all issued formal apologies for their participation in the residential school system. The United church was first in 1986. It isn't enough, but it's a start.

The Catholic church made the decision not to.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, inneedofadvice said:

The Catholic church made the decision not to.

And then they (IN the US) had the audacity to judge who was or was not worthy to receive sacraments. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ottawa will just do what they have done under governments both Conservative and Liberal. The most influential chiefs will be placated with money and sanctimonious apologies. Life on some reservations and for some urban natives will still be hell. JT should have found new role for JRW after she was found unacceptable as AG. She probably would have been a better GG than space lady! If I lived a few blocks over I would be voting for her over my own party's candidate. JT will presumably be obeying Matthew 6:5-6 for a while. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2021 at 3:46 PM, Shortforbob said:

 

And the Home Children, 100,000 kids sent to Australia, Canada, NZ and South Africa from the 1860's to the 1970's.

 

I am sure that she was well meaning(and she was a proto-feminist+church lady), but Lucy Maude Montgomery made the home children thing cute in Canada and Japan. However, yes-in a lot of cases they were essentially slaves and/or sexually abused. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Keith said:

Sadly this is just the early stages of this atrocity.

They just updated the most recent school to 751 at the site.

I'm not sure how many schools they have to look at.

They will find the same thing at all of them - count on it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe the Presbyterian schools could be somewhat different given that since they only had a few, they were better run. However I don't disagree with the fact that every single residential school is likely to have graves. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, spankoka said:

There were a total of 139 residential schools, but some may have more than one body dump. The question of what happened to priest's babies could get ugly for the Catholic church, 

Apparently they plastered them into the walls of the schools.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard these stories back in the day, and I thought they were just Chick Comics level anti Catholic stuff. Now I'm not so sure...

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, spankoka said:

I heard these stories back in the day, and I thought they were just Chick Comics level anti Catholic stuff. Now I'm not so sure...

Ummmm...my bad. I didn't grow up in Canada so wasn't exposed to that shit. I should know better than to quote my wife, but, in her defense she heard it from a woman in her choir, which is a choir that sings to people in hospice and on their death bed so I assumed the source was, uh.....pious?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bstrdsonofbtl said:

Ummmm...my bad. I didn't grow up in Canada so wasn't exposed to that shit. I should know better than to quote my wife, but, in her defense she heard it from a woman in her choir, which is a choir that sings to people in hospice and on their death bed so I assumed the source was, uh.....pious?

Update: The source of that story was a survivor of the residential school system.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy shit who did Canada piss off? God or Thor? One thing is sure, you used to have a lumber industry.

Fire clouds spark 710,117 lightning strikes in western Canada in 15 hours

 

Storm-producing fire clouds threw out hundreds of thousands of lightning strikes over wildfire-stricken British Columbia and northwestern Alberta provinces in Canada Wednesday and Thursday, bewildering meteorologists. 

 

 

Chris Vagasky, a meteorologist with the company Vaisala, which maps lightning strikes around in the world, said the North American Lightning Detection Network sensed 710,177 lightning events across British Columbia and northwestern Alberta in about 15 hours, between 3 p.m. on June 30 and 6 a.m. on July 1.

Of those, 597,314 were in-cloud pulses, meaning the strikes didn't hit the ground. "Each in-cloud lightning 'strike' can be made up of multiple in-cloud pulses," Vagasky explained. 

There were 112,803 cloud-to-ground strokes detected over the same area, he said. 

Vagasky called the numbers "surprising" for Canada. "In studying lightning, there is always something interesting that comes up, whether it is lightning in a hurricane or volcano, or large numbers of lightning," he said. "As a whole, Canada doesn’t generally see a lot of lightning — about 90% less than the United States. In fact, the counts from yesterday are more what you would expect to see in a big day over lightning-prone regions like Texas or Oklahoma."

The numbers coming out of the lightning siege seem too big to be true, but Vagasky said the activity is measured with precision equipment.

Data produced by North American Lightning Detection Network is monitored nonstop and validated against rocket-triggered lightning, lightning to tall towers, and other lightning references.

"The network detects more than 95% of cloud-to-ground flashes with 100-meter accuracy," said Vagasky. 

https://www.sfgate.com/weather/article/pyrocumulonimbus-British-Columbia-lightning-Canada-16287681.php

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's going to take a really big rope to haul down the Macdonald Bridge. I suppose we could eventually get to Lord Stanley here, as hockey was used as part of the assimilation process in Residential Schools and he was obviously part of colonialism. General Moncton had to be one of the worst people in Canadian history. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/27/2021 at 12:00 AM, Rain Man said:

I thought the US border never closed.  My parents travelled overland to Seattle twice during the first three months of this year.

Really? How did this work? My brother's in-laws are in Vancouver and they haven't been able to visit other than at Peace Arch Park at the border.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Olsonist said:

Really? How did this work? My brother's in-laws are in Vancouver and they haven't been able to visit other than at Peace Arch Park at the border.

My father is a US Vet.  He was able to show that his travel was "essential", as he had appointments for medical examinations at the VA hospital in Seattle.  The truth is that all of his medical needs could have be satisfied in Canada.

In any case, it was always possible for a Canadian to fly to the US from Canada - it was only the overland border that turned away "non-essential" travellers.  A Canadian would have had to quarantine on the way back in, though that requirement was recently lifted as well.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spankoka said:

Aha...it's still possible to get to Jays at Mariners, as long as I fly to Sea-Tac. 

Vlad Jr. is awesome !!  BTW he and his dad were named after Lenin. 

A while back in the Caribbean there was a lot of sympathy for the Russian revolution because of its anti-colonial cred. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

Really? How did this work? My brother's in-laws are in Vancouver and they haven't been able to visit other than at Peace Arch Park at the border.

Not cheap though.  A quick search showed the cheapest flight YVR-SEA-YVR at $897 CAD.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

T-Mobile Park is a really nice experience. I have been any number of times in my Jays gear and got zero hostility from the locals. Yes, it is just too much money to go YVR-SEA to see a ball game. Air Canada seems to defy market forces sometimes. Jose Bautista is in Yokohama right now playing for the DR. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

They don't defrock the cunt, just gag him.

Typical.

Maybe they could send him to work with underprivileged children :unsure:. Seriously, it might be time for the separation of church and state in Canada. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/29/2021 at 12:28 PM, spankoka said:

Maybe they could send him to work with underprivileged children :unsure:. Seriously, it might be time for the separation of church and state in Canada. 

Time for the elimination of the church in Canada.

Actually long past time but I won't quibble.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...