8 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Nope.

Yup. You need to un-mute the sound.

Best take away from the OP?

“Imagine if, after a lifetime underground, you only had a few glorious weeks to live in the sun, eat and mate,” she said. “And then your butt fell off.”

55 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Or does the front fall off?

No, the butt end falls off, and the rest of the body just sort of clings onto a surface until a bird gobbles it up. The Blue Jays that year were so fat they could barely fly. Funny (not really) thing was that the next year there were almost no Blue Jays, or Crows. A viral infection apparently killed a bunch of them off.

So some stupid weatherman decided to quip on air that it seemed that the birds had caught a bug...

He was doing TV commercials for a local Honda dealership a few months later....

14 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

WNV is what wipte oute the crowes...............

And the Blue Jays too I suspect.

It wasn't just the stupid comment the weather guy made, it was that he got caught doing a Matt Gaetz kinda thing... But the TV station blurb said it was about the birds and the bugs.

We obviously weren't thinking clearly and just got a new lab puppy. We can barely let her out into the yard to go to the bathroom before we have to pull a cicada out of her mouth. Our front yard is already overrun with them... and it's just starting. 

18 minutes ago, Slick470 said:

We obviously weren't thinking clearly and just got a new lab puppy. We can barely let her out into the yard to go to the bathroom before we have to pull a cicada out of her mouth. Our front yard is already overrun with them... and it's just starting. 

LOL, Had the pleasure of being a pool guy last time they came out in Chicago.  Sticking your hand into the strainer baskets was like something out of an Indiana Jones movie...  

52 minutes ago, shaggy said:

LOL, Had the pleasure of being a pool guy last time they came out in Chicago.  Sticking your hand into the strainer baskets was like something out of an Indiana Jones movie...  

I can imagine. I remember them being loud enough that it was hard to hold a conversation outdoors last time here in the DC area. We went to a restaurant with roof top dining and they would land in your food and drinks... repeatedly over the course of the meal. 

I am admitting I have a bit of a crush on Alie Ward. If you listen to her podcast, "Ologies", you'll find out why. Funny, informative, and there are a ton of episodes. Given what is currently happening, I suggest you give this episode a listen and see if you don't get hooked.

One important factoid I learned was the ovipositor the female uses to lay eggs has two serrated edges (like a knife) and is reinforced with METAL (also like a knife)! I mean, WHAT? Metal? How is that even possible an organism incorporates metal into its tissues?

Cicadology (CICADAS) with Dr. Gene Kritsky

A taco establishment in Leesburg, VA is serving Cicada Tacos.  They have had grasshopper tacos on the menu for a while and it only seemed logical to add the "Limited time offer" for the Cicada taco.

2 hours ago, cmonkey said:

A taco establishment in Leesburg, VA is serving Cicada Tacos.  They have had grasshopper tacos on the menu for a while and it only seemed logical to add the "Limited time offer" for the Cicada taco.

Are the tacos served with the psychedelics? 

On 5/18/2021 at 5:34 AM, Mrleft8 said:

Nope.

404. That’s an error.

The requested URL was not found on this server. That’s all we know.

15 minutes ago, Ishmael said:
On 5/18/2021 at 8:34 AM, Mrleft8 said:

Nope.

404. That’s an error.

The requested URL was not found on this server. That’s all we know.

Yeah, I nevere hade anny lucke ethere..........                 :)  

There’s one so far, only one, that is in a tree next to the house; it just does the ratchet-ratchet sound very slowly but very loud every so often. Haven’t heard any others yet, early hatcher I guess. They were getting started in the mountains outside Asheville when I was there a few days ago.

2 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Yeah, I nevere hade anny lucke ethere..........                 :)  

Weirdly. Maybe because it came from my computer I can hear it, but you all (Y'all) can't. Sorry. It's a loud high pitched whining sound.... Come to think of it, let me see if I can get a recording of my Mother-in-law.... Pretty much the same....

2 hours ago, d'ranger said:

Growing up in SE Texas as a kid with no air conditioning I would listen to them every night going to sleep. Now it's nothing but crickets.  As in no seeums.

Annual cicadas are one thing.  Periodical cicadas are an entirely different thing.  Their song can reach 120 decibels. 

That's like a rock concert and/or an ambulance siren.

• 2 weeks later...

what to do with all those husks ...

No photo description available.

• Like 1

Our daughter doesn't want to go outside anymore after her last lacrosse game where they were landing on everybody. I trimmed and mowed the yard on Sunday and while trimming, I probably had 20-30 of them land on me. They really liked it when I kept the RPM constant and I stood in the sun. Tried to get a picture, but my wife didn't want to get anywhere near me. 

Mostly, I'm tired of the new puppy trying to eat every one she sees. We got her a mesh muzzle to wear when outside, but she's figured out how to wear a hole into the side and can still get them in there to eat. A bit slower, but still.  

8 hours ago, Slick470 said:

Our daughter doesn't want to go outside anymore after her last lacrosse game where they were landing on everybody. I trimmed and mowed the yard on Sunday and while trimming, I probably had 20-30 of them land on me. They really liked it when I kept the RPM constant and I stood in the sun. Tried to get a picture, but my wife didn't want to get anywhere near me. 

Mostly, I'm tired of the new puppy trying to eat every one she sees. We got her a mesh muzzle to wear when outside, but she's figured out how to wear a hole into the side and can still get them in there to eat. A bit slower, but still.  

Definitely try to minimize how many she eats.  Between the fungus that makes their abdomens fall off & drives them into a sexual frenzy and the shit-ton of chemicals we've applied over the last 17 years while they were hanging out underground, I'd be a bit leery.

15 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

Definitely try to minimize how many she eats.  Between the fungus that makes their abdomens fall off & drives them into a sexual frenzy and the shit-ton of chemicals we've applied over the last 17 years while they were hanging out underground, I'd be a bit leery.

I've seen a handful of them with the fungus. It's really weird. I've also seen some that have no abdomen and no fungus flying around like its normal. Nature is cool, but I'll be happy when this has passed. Last night on the bay for the Wednesday night race, they were everywhere just floating on the surface. I guess the birds and fish are full. 

A friend of my wife just got a puppy as well and they have had to take theirs to the vet due to eating too many cicadas and getting a really bad case of the squirts. We got the mesh muzzle right after we heard about that. 

2 hours ago, Slick470 said:

A friend of my wife just got a puppy as well and they have had to take theirs to the vet due to eating too many cicadas and getting a really bad case of the squirts.

At leaste the puppey diddente starte mackeng that noise............                     :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

At leaste the puppey diddente starte mackeng that noise............                     :)

Snaggy, "that" noise will wake me up from the deepest sleep quicker than anything...

4 hours ago, No Bargers said:

Yesterday traveling down I71 just north of Columbus, OH going 75 MPH we could hear them even though we had the windows in the car up. Little bastards were all over the windshield.

Hadn't thought about that.  Extra happy now.  Changed job in April and transitioned from 100 mile commute to WFH.  Guess I should stock up on windshield washer fluid when I go out tomorrow if there is still any on the store shelves.