Jump to content

i need a new mainsheet


Recommended Posts

suggestions? 9mm-10mm  water repellant , soft on hands, easy through blocks with good abrasion protection...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Doubtful one can have both a nice hand and abrasion resistance. The soft lines are also snag prone. Why abrasion resistance? Sounds odd for a mainsheet application.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Marlow's Excel Fushion says it's all that (and a bag of chips). No experience with it, but I'm not a fan of blended ropes using polypropylene.

Take a look at New England's Nexus Pro. The cover does have polyester blended in with the dyneema so it will absorb some water though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I did 8mm salsa on my columbia and it's awesome. it was a little tricky to splice, but I chalk that up to me being terrible at splicing. you can get it in 9.5 as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mgs said:

Marlow's Excel Fushion says it's all that (and a bag of chips). No experience with it, but I'm not a fan of blended ropes using polypropylene.

Take a look at New England's Nexus Pro. The cover does have polyester blended in with the dyneema so it will absorb some water though.

Big fan of the Nexus Pro...  I don't even need gloves. Taper it and leave the cover only where it cleats and for your hands.

 

thumbnail_IMG_0161.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0160.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Runs faster and with less friction.

Dyneema holds up remarkably well in UV however I have a boom tent that helps protect the cockpit and sky all my halyards regularly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2021 at 6:54 AM, dacapo said:

suggestions? 9mm-10mm  water repellant , soft on hands, easy through blocks with good abrasion protection...

I suggest you remove the old mainsheet, take it into WM or a rigger with good line selection, see what they have that you'd deem acceptable, write those few down, research them then go back & buy it.

 

That's what I did.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2021 at 7:33 PM, Irrational 14 said:

Runs faster and with less friction.

Dyneema holds up remarkably well in UV however I have a boom tent that helps protect the cockpit and sky all my halyards regularly.

as an aside, I like your setup. our main coarse tune is still on the traveller, which makes it tricky. Fine tune is on that eye like yours.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, ryley said:

as an aside, I like your setup. our main coarse tune is still on the traveller, which makes it tricky. Fine tune is on that eye like yours.

Moving this to the Lumbo thread for specifics...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2021 at 1:33 PM, ryley said:

I did 8mm salsa on my columbia and it's awesome. it was a little tricky to splice, but I chalk that up to me being terrible at splicing. you can get it in 9.5 as well.

second on the salsa,  i have 5/16, runs fast, light weight , easy on the hands , doesn't stay soggy...    if you have a lot of extra line, it does occasionally find a way to tie itself into a knot.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...