Brief primer on small outboards (Wayfarer) please

I used outboards for fishing when I was a pup, and they were always on someone's boat that I borrowed or was available for use (my grandfather was one of the builders of a small lake corporation in TN, and then made a living with a sawmill supplying lumber for chalets and cabins for the rest of his life).  I lived there in the summers, and I had a dozen moldering boats in some state of disrepair that were mine for the asking.  These often had outboards that were 50s or 60s vintage, in disrepair, and turned me into an excellent rower.  I now use a CL16 in SF Bay, and we have had a Torqeedo for several years.  It has developed a glitch that we just can't isolate. My wife teaches physics and is very skilled at electronic diagnosis and troubeshooting from building robots (!!) and she has lost patience or motivation to repair.  I have been watching Craigs for a 4 stroke.  It seems the ideal size is a 2.5-3.0.  In the last week there have been several new posts, notably a 2. 0 Honda and two 4.0 hp Tohatsus.  The 2.0 Honda is a shortshaft.  Is that too undergunned?  Can one change prop sizes for different results on a motor that small?   The 4.0 hps are rated at around 55 lbs...that seems like too much to hang off the back of this boat.    We deal with big currents, oppositional winds, and need a motor because we often take children out in cold water.  We haven't lost any of them yet, but there is always hope.  Comments?   

Thanks.  Interesting link, Bill5.  Sounds like a 3.0 hp might be the ideal--or get a larger, more reliable Torqeedo.   When working correctly it is JUST BARELY enough to push.  I am having ayear of bleeding from a thousand cuts so far--an expense every move I make, some of which is my own doing (my wife just bought another used planing boat).  I was hoping for a $400 solution...what size electric gets us to about 3 hp if anyone knows?  And yes, google is my friend, faster to ask here and I like real world experience with commentary.  

eMotion Spirit plus electric outboard. We have fitted one to a Drascombe Lugger, done speed trial, just 5mph flat out with 4 adults, dog and moderately clean hull, flat calm. At full power it will run for hour and a half.

Recently took it out in 20mph+ winds, boat was just making progress to windward. 3 adults on board.

Drascombe much heavier than a Wayfarer and more windage, so I expect it would work a lot better. In terms of comparing it with a thermal motor I think it might be about 2hp.

I want to do a bollard pull with it, to compare with the 5hp 2 stroke that was on before. It's all about the thrust rather than the go.

I am very pleased with the Honda 2hp (28#) on my VX1. All up cruising weight (crew, boat, & motor) is 1000lbs.  We have been cruising the San Juan Islands every year since 2013.  5kts on 3/4 throttle. 

A Honda 2.0 is used on a J22...I'd say that was sufficient.

Thanks all.  Maybe the 2.0 hp HOnda is adequate.  My Torqeedo, in answer to the question above, is  old.  It is IIRC a 401 B traveler--it takes down to a small bag, amazingly--but it was originally wired for a lead battery, stock, not the lightweight lithium.  Even so, its main benefit is economy.  We have never run a battery dead with it, and it is said to be able to run around 4 hours at 3/4 a reasonably good battery.  But it needs to be evaluated for the glitch, and it needs a new prop, which I have knocked ragged forgetting the damn rudder was up and whacking it with the prop.  I like the Trqdo but I cannot have a glitch like this where we sail, with children.