What kind of boats are used in the dinghy race at the beginning when he and his lady are both strapped into trapezes? they flip in the end and lose the race.....but im just trying to see if anyone knows what type of boats those are? 

It's been a while since I saw it but I remember them as International 14's?

Edit: Aussie 14's, before they merged with the I-14's...

• Like 1

Yes, Aussie 14s in Perth. I ended up campaigning the boat that made the cameo later in the film in Cali for a couple years. One of the legends of the class had brought it to California to show the I14 guys what the Aussie14s were like. Tough boats to sail but a hellofa lotta fun.

Yup - Aussie 14's before the 14 classes merged their rules.

When this movie came out, I had been sailing 14's and was in university.  I remember that the headline in the university paper's movie review was, "Wind really really blows"

• Like 2

Amazing how far ahead this class has always been compared to most...

Oldest International Dinghy class at over 100 years now.

First Trapeze

First Boom Vang

First T-Foil

First Aluminum Mast

First Retractable Bowsprit

Carbon Rigs when hardly anyone else had them.

Probably more I don't know about. Look it up, the boats have always been so fun to sail in addition to the fleet racing.

Pure satisfaction in how much performance one can squeeze from a 14 foot boat. I'll be showcasing the Pre-War boat at SDYC's Opening Day this weekend.

If you're around, come say hi.

https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/the-most-photographed-boat/

• Like 4
15 hours ago, ROADKILL666 said:

Only realistic part of the whole shit show that is Wind.

I was going to say essentially the same thing, but you stated it so well...

I was going going to say "most interesting part of the whole movie..."

The most realistic was the depiction of the Oscar Delta.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Yeah but realism is over rated

I thought it was a great movie... " Set the WOMPER!"

FB- Doug

I thought roll tacking a 12 meter was spot on.   And of course a sea state go from dead calm to pretty big swells in the span of a couple hours.   But they do things different down under.  

9 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

I thought roll tacking a 12 meter was spot on.   And of course a sea state go from dead calm to pretty big swells in the span of a couple hours.   But they do things different down under.  

Well, the point was entertainment, using sailing as a backdrop... it was mostly bullshit, of course it was. That's baked into the cake, a feature not a bug.

How realistic were all those damn cowboy movies we used to watch?

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

Well, the point was entertainment, using sailing as a backdrop... it was mostly bullshit, of course it was. That's baked into the cake, a feature not a bug.

FB- Doug

I really enjoyed it. Like you said,  it IS  a MOVIE after all,  not a documentary. Ever watch a cop show with a cop? They pick 'em apart. Eventually you say, I get it, it's not real. Let's just enjoy the story. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Latadjust said:

I really enjoyed it. Like you said,  it IS  a MOVIE after all,  not a documentary. Ever watch a cop show with a cop? They pick 'em apart. Eventually you say, I get it, it's not real. Let's just enjoy the story. 

Opened my eyes to 14ing, which I ended up doing for the last 25 years. So, influential?

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

Mindless entertainment.  But some scenes just wanna make you laugh.  

• Like 1

Knock it all you want - it blew my friggin mind when I was a junior sailor that there was a movie about sailing, and I showed it to the crew I raced with last summer and they loved it.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

For some reason, this just pisses me off.

Agreed.  They could just have used the Dolly Parton spinnaker, which was an actual sail flown by S&S - and would have fit in better with that silly beetle wing narrative than simply hoisting a massively oversized kite.

Dolly Parton.jpg

• Like 3
5 hours ago, 12 metre said:

Agreed.  They could just have used the Dolly Parton spinnaker, which was an actual sail flown by S&S - and would have fit in better with that silly beetle wing narrative than simply hoisting a massively oversized kite.

Dolly Parton.jpg

That thing looks more like the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man than Dolly Parton. Or perhaps like John Candy in a down-filled Parka?

It kinda reminds me of how my old spinnaker looked just before I replaced it.

19 minutes ago, krikkitman said:

That thing looks more like the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man than Dolly Parton. Or perhaps like John Candy in a down-filled Parka?

It kinda reminds me of how my old spinnaker looked just before I replaced it.

True enough - but that is what it was called: https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-1988-09-03-8802200582-story.html

Reminds me of the venturi spinnakers that were experimented with in the 60's.  There is a bigger photo of the venturi spin here, but it was too big too upload as a full size attachment. https://scholarship.rice.edu/handle/1911/37929  Or at least I was unable to attach it.

HYC00556.JPG.jpg

went to see it in theater near Mt Vernon Va with my nonsailing gf when it came out. The audience barely reacted to it all and I kept my mouth shut. 

Went to see it again near Annapolis and it was live MST3K and Rocky Horror in a blender. Every little detail got picked apart. I think by the time I saw it, some of these people had been like 5 or 6 times and memorized the dialog and were chanting along. It was pretty funny. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

For some reason, this just pisses me off.

Me too.  It was cheating.  I like the press conference where they stated there would be no rules for the last race.

• Like 1

Ok, I'll buy the "waive the rules" thing in hoisting an illegal spinnaker. What bothers me more is that we're supposed to be mad at the Aussies for tearing the Whomper (with their bladed spinnaker pole, apparently), when the Aussies had luffing rights and that's a clear foul on the Yanks (unless there's something about the mast abeam rule I don't know).

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Sisu3360 said:

Ok, I'll buy the "waive the rules" thing ....    ....unless there's something about the mast abeam rule I don't know

Weren't you listening Sisu, they WAIVED the rules! :D:D:D

45 minutes ago, Jethrow said:

Weren't you listening Sisu, they WAIVED the rules! :D:D:D

Fair enough, but I’m supposed to accept that these guys are indignant that a leeward boat luffed them in a match race?

• Like 2

This thread actually prompted me to watch the movie for the first time. Till now, the "based on Dennis Connors loss and recapture of the cup" put me off. Never a fan of DC, and not a yank so the jingoism of that episode of Cup history leaves me cold.

But the film was a pleasant surprise, basically having nothing to do with DC...

Pure nonsense of course, but fun nonetheless, with nice and spectacular images of the Twelves.

Still think the 1930ies Captains Courageous with Spencer Tracy is more impressive though...

On 5/20/2021 at 2:08 AM, ROADKILL666 said:

Only realistic part of the whole shit show that is Wind.

Apart from Jack Thompson sailing in a slouch hat of course.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Apart from Jack Thompson sailing in a slouch hat of course.

Am I the only one who still has a signed copy of Jack Thompson when he appeared  as the Nude Centrefold in Cleo?

As Ita used to say in the ad ‘ It’s in the Thealed Thection.’

How much did you finish up getting on EBay for yours LB?

• Like 1
On 5/20/2021 at 11:22 PM, Bump-n-Grind said:

went to see it in theater near Mt Vernon Va with my nonsailing gf when it came out. The audience barely reacted to it all and I kept my mouth shut. 

Went to see it again near Annapolis and it was live MST3K and Rocky Horror in a blender. Every little detail got picked apart. I think by the time I saw it, some of these people had been like 5 or 6 times and memorized the dialog and were chanting along. It was pretty funny. 

I miss that Mt. Vernon theater. Who needed the damn CostCo anyway. And I could walk to it. 

On 5/20/2021 at 2:15 PM, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

You mean beach lifeguards don't drive sportcars in real life? 

• Like 1

Compare Wind to Days of Thunder...pretty close if you take the cars and sailing as the backdrop to the story itself. The cars and the boats play a major role but is not totally the point of the movie. There is supposedly a story in there (somewhere). 

As far as Wind goes, aside from the cheesy dialog in some places and the unrealistic racing stuff, for the most part the movie was pretty decent. I mean, the used actual 12s for the flick and had some excellent visuals.  

Have any of you gone to Disney with your kids? Suspend disbelief for a little while...that is what Hollywood is all about! :)

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Vin said:

As far as Wind goes, aside from the cheesy dialog in some places and the unrealistic racing stuff, for the most part the movie was pretty decent. I mean, the used actual 12s for the flick and had some excellent visuals.

It's probably some of the best inshore sailing footage that has ever been shot, honestly. The cockpit footage is especially excellent.

• Like 1

If you play the sailing scenes, ignore the dialog and boat positions, and listen to the soundtrack, it's actually a pretty great movie for about 35minutes. 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Vin said:

Suspend disbelief for a little while...that is what Hollywood is all about! :)

Trick is, as you get older the duration of willful suspended disbelief gets shorter and shorter.

48 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

we've had enough fun with this one,  anyone want to bring up "All is Lost"?

Or "Dove"?

Here’s the point, you don’t watch “Wind” or “Message In A Bottle” to see great, award winning films, you watch these movies because at least you can see actual, nice looking, real boats, really sailing.  

Most sailing movies have one plot, boat sinks/and/or person falls overboard, next 90 minutes trying to get rescued while fighting off hunger, thirst, menacing whales, hungry sharks, giant squid and of course the wayward freighter that nearly runs em over but never sees them.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Santana20AE said:

Here’s the point, you don’t watch “Wind” or “Message In A Bottle” to see great, award winning films, you watch these movies because at least you can see actual, nice looking, real boats, really sailing.

Or you could watch great, award-winning documentaries like Maiden (2018) orThe Weekend Sailor (2016) and see actual, nice looking, real boats, really sailing in real races.

Maiden-movie-poster.jpg

newportFILM20sports203A20The20Weekend20S

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Svanen said:

Or you could watch great, award-winning documentaries like Maiden (2018) orThe Weekend Sailor (2016) and see actual, nice looking, real boats, really sailing in real races.

Don't forget Morning Light (2008) - some great footage in that one, and a decent real-life storyline. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1198405/

images.jpeg

7 hours ago, krikkitman said:

Don't forget Morning Light (2008) - some great footage in that one, and a decent real-life storyline. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1198405/

images.jpeg

let's not forget COYOTE: The Mike Plant Story

AAUvwnhceHER94tYmClIO5sm8PdzZaVGUGVB2e3K

yes, documentary not "movie." Still great and tragic.

2 minutes ago, mathystuff said:

It makes much more sense if you think of him as suicidal.

it makes much more sense if you don't think of it as a sailing movie.

Obsession. 

Also the line "only thing to do with that kind of money is make a boat go faster" (or something like).

First off why is he wearing a Tiger's hat?  That pisses me off because I am from Detroit!  Then after the years go by and they ask Modine about the movie thinking that he thought it was challenging, fun, something different, amazing...NO>>> this guy say's it was awful and doesn't even like sailing.  It was the same with Costner.  He should stick with the cowboy role which he is better at than the seasoned sailor.  He had to have someone down in the campionway hidden while they were filming because he couldn't talk and do both...

But, as someone wrote, it's a story/ movie....

On 5/21/2021 at 5:17 PM, Steam Flyer said:

Ha ha ha..... "mast abeam"

-DSK

Actually, i believe "mast abeam" was in effect at that time.  Legitimate bit of curiosity.

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Actually, i believe "mast abeam" was in effect at that time.  Legitimate bit of curiosity.

I had to look the rule up, good explanation here: https://www.uksailmakers.com/news/sail-boat-racing-rules-mast-abeam#:~:text=Simply%2C the rule said that,longer luff the windward one.

So if Platypus was able to spear Geronimo's kite with their pole, they were likely forward of mast abeam, meaning it might have been a foul (if they hadn't "waived the rules").

"Wind" is a fun movie to watch with people who don't feel that they have to dis the movie to show what good sailors they are.

• Like 6

Best sailing scene is in the movie ‘The Jackel’

Bruse Willis sails the Chicago to Mac race solo from undisclosed location in Canada to Chicago with a cannon hidden  in the boom. Parks the boat in the harbor and some how get the gun from the boat to the van without anyone seeing.

Best part is they filmed the finish on a dead calm day so all the local racers they paid to come out put their kites up and motored backward to keep them full for the helicopter shots.

I first saw Wind in a theatre in Kingston Ontario at CORK when it was first released. The whole theatre was full of sailors. Most fun I've ever had at a movie, many pounds of popcorn were thrown at the screen that night and an optomotrist could have been kept busy full time fixing eye roll strains outside the theatre.

At every windward mark the next day you could hear some wag shouting "Hoist the Womper", followed by peels of laughter.

Just started watching it again the other night at the GF's request. Coppolla knows how to tell a visual story. Matthew Modine is a bit of a git who needs an upside the head the get straightened out though.

On 5/28/2021 at 8:42 AM, Monkey said:

I’ll see your “Summer Rental” and raise you “One Crazy Summer!”

Good ones, yes. And let us not exclude the incredible maritime adventures of Stuart Little.

2 hours ago, blunted said:

I first saw Wind in a theatre in Kingston Ontario at CORK when it was first released. The whole theatre was full of sailors. Most fun I've ever had at a movie, many pounds of popcorn were thrown at the screen that night and an optomotrist could have been kept busy full time fixing eye roll strains outside the theatre.

Sure it's camp if you do a lot of sailing, but when my girlfriend whose sailing experience was just booze cruises asked why the sheet was on the winch backwards I knew I had a keeper.

• Like 1
On 5/29/2021 at 9:25 PM, Lightfoot said:

Best sailing scene is in the movie ‘The Jackel’

Bruse Willis sails the Chicago to Mac race solo from undisclosed location in Canada to Chicago with a cannon hidden  in the boom. Parks the boat in the harbor and some how get the gun from the boat to the van without anyone seeing.

Best part is they filmed the finish on a dead calm day so all the local racers they paid to come out put their kites up and motored backward to keep them full for the helicopter shots.

I skippered one of those boats and we did not motor backwards

Watched wind this weekend with the wife and kid. Condensed it to about 25 minutes. Not bad done that way.

One of my favorite movies, but so is Star Wars.  :D

If you want reality, watch Capt. Ron.  That documentary is the best there is.  :D

• Like 2
On 5/26/2021 at 12:10 AM, krikkitman said:

images.jpeg

Morning Light turned into a salvage operation. The Cinema Verite aspects of the movie failed to produce enough real drama so the producers had to exaggerate and stretch out the parts of the story of interest to a general public.

The sailing and even the preparation parts are pretty good but I can't see a non-sailor being interested in it. I can't see non-sailors being interested in ANY sailing movies.

1 hour ago, MauiPunter said:

One of my favorite movies, but so is Star Wars.  :D

If you want reality, watch Capt. Ron.  That documentary is the best there is.  :D

I, too, saw Capt. Ron as a documentary. Anyone who has skippered charters will eventually run into every one of the situations in that movie. In my case, it wasn't guerillas but rather American mercenaries on R&R from South Africa. The action wasn't entirely dissimilar...

On 6/2/2021 at 2:42 AM, Tax Man said:

Sure it's camp if you do a lot of sailing, but when my girlfriend whose sailing experience was just booze cruises asked why the sheet was on the winch backwards I knew I had a keeper.

Why was the sheet around the winch backwards?

36 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Why was the sheet around the winch backwards?

She may have noticed, but it actually wasn't backwards. For line geometry, some boats use counterrotating winches on each side. Just a guess, but that's what she saw. And I saw Wind last week, and yes, they were sailing upwind and the genoa winch was wrapped counter-clockwise. I didn't assume they fucked it up as they were actually sailing during the shot. I just assumed it was one of those backwards winches. They were sailing in Australia, after all!

2 hours ago, Raz'r said:

She may have noticed, but it actually wasn't backwards. For line geometry, some boats use counterrotating winches on each side. Just a guess, but that's what she saw. And I saw Wind last week, and yes, they were sailing upwind and the genoa winch was wrapped counter-clockwise. I didn't assume they fucked it up as they were actually sailing during the shot. I just assumed it was one of those backwards winches. They were sailing in Australia, after all!

IMG_20210607_162645722.jpg

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

I, too, saw Capt. Ron as a documentary. Anyone who has skippered charters will eventually run into every one of the situations in that movie. In my case, it wasn't guerillas but rather American mercenaries on R&R from South Africa. The action wasn't entirely dissimilar...

A bit off of the subject, but Blues Brothers is way to documentary for musicians.  Have two good friends, one, a drummer who for years had his own band and anther a fine bass player.  They have witnessed  just about every bad thing happened in that movie (except for the chase scenes.) 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Raz'r said:

All winches in Australia rotate clockwise. Until you cross the equator of course when they start going the other way.

59 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

All winches in Australia rotate clockwise. Until you cross the equator of course when they start going the other way.

Well there you go, from the man with experience.   I thought it was just like the compass thing. 

On 6/2/2021 at 2:42 AM, Tax Man said:

All modern ie post 1970 12's had headsail winches that were counterrotating, that way the sheet always ran to the gunwale side of the drum, TP 52's do it as well for runners and headsails

And any girlfriend who notices that IS a keeper

Deep Water.. about Donald Crowhurst is a pretty good documentary also... 

2 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

Some 12-meters and other specialty boats had (have?) counter-rotating primaries on the port side. I'm not sure why... symmetric loading of the structure, maybe? Better leads?

I would get it wrong sometimes mid race at the worst time.

Even the pros have direction arrows on contra-rotating winches.  so don't feel bad.

And yeah it does feel unnatural & you check yourself overtime you load one for a while.

• Like 1

Unless you had what used to be a finger (or two) in there as well!

• Like 1

I love how everyone focuses on the sailing mistakes in the movie, but no one ever notices that the imaginary yacht club in the middle of a desert isn’t deed compliant. Geronimo wouldn’t have been allowed to even challenge. 

15 hours ago, Monkey said:

I love how everyone focuses on the sailing mistakes in the movie, but no one ever notices that the imaginary yacht club in the middle of a desert isn’t deed compliant. Geronimo wouldn’t have been allowed to even challenge. 

Well aren't you a wet blanket.   :P

• Like 1
8 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

Well aren't you a wet blanket.   :P

I’m just having fun. It’s rare to get to add to the list of silliness. I still love that movie. 

• Like 1
On 6/11/2021 at 5:50 PM, Monkey said:

Well neither was Club Nautique de Geneve" or whatever that place in Switzerland was called where Berterelli challenged from.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Well neither was Club Nautique de Geneve" or whatever that place in Switzerland was called where Berterelli challenged from.

At least they had a legal regatta that was technically on an arm of the sea. I don’t think Dead Man’s Flats yacht club pulls that off. 

I don't think an upstart dingy regatta for kids three hundred kilometers from their clubhouse ever passed the smell test, except the smell of money.  

12 minutes ago, Monkey said:

At least they had a legal regatta that was technically on an arm of the sea. I don’t think Dead Man’s Flats yacht club pulls that off. 

Well not exactly.  The depiction of Dead Man’s Flat is actually filmed in the Green River area near Wendover Utah.  According to the Utah Geologic Survey, 

Through geologic time, Utah has been covered by oceans and inland seas”

So, it may well be that at one time it was an Arm of the Sea.  Just the sea is a bit dry at the moment.  

Really surprised that no one has mentioned this one.

I tried to watch it but missed the second half cleaning up the spew on the lounge room carpet.  What a cock head this guy is.

I came away with two findings, The entire doco is Larry having a wank over Larry, and, it gave me the impression he is gay.

The Wind Gods

IMDb RATING
YOUR RATING

The Wind Gods (2013)

A feature length documentary film following Larry Ellison's 10-year quest to bring the oldest trophy in international sport, The America's Cup, back to the United States.