Hi-Mod fitting issue, 3/16 1x19

Can't get the outer wire strand pairs to go in the notches in the crown ring. Either they won't go, or the cone slides too far onto the inner wire core. Seems like I need 4 hands with tiny fingers to do it. Tips?

If you need the cone to stay in place you can squeeze it just a touch when it’s off the wire. Sometimes the strands don’t want to sit properly and want to untwist, but I’ve never had a serious issue with it, get it close and use the body to help keep the twist.  

smaller wire can be a bit more finicky than larger stuff

• Like 1

We had the same issue -- thought maybe the Hi-Mods were metric approximations. But also our wire gauged in just oversized, so that could have been it. I used a very, very fine triangular jeweler's file to slightly widen the notches. We're talking two or three light passes on each side. Then the wire seated snugly and the cone would tighten down. Have torqued that backstay with a 4:1 tackle for twelve years and the Hi-Mod is working great. (When we upgrade the standing on our 30 footer, I plan to use Hi-Mods to replace the swages. I really do like the design.)

Update: holding the outer body much closer to the cut end of the wire was the ticket, thanks for the suggestion. This kept the strands squeezed between the crown ring and outer body, then just had to sort the pairs into the notches in the crown ring. Took a bit of finesse but worked well.