• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I believe their height measuring.  Some of the big platforms have a laser sight used to accurately measure wave heights, plus we all know our height of eye on the bridge of our ships and are trained t

Already on it mate!  We've been underway since 1900 last night, making around 9.5 knots.  We'll be on the western side of this monster by the time it makes its way into the gulf.

Posted Images

21 hours ago, d'ranger said:

Want to know how bad Ida was? Saw this early today - tip - when you live below sea level and the power is out in your area your toilet isn't going to flush.  Shit does not flow uphill.

The City of New Orleans is responding to impacts from Hurricane Ida. Widespread impacts include power outages, debris, and service interruptions. If you have evacuated out of New Orleans, we request that you DO NOT RETURN until further notice

Check the City website for current status of Hurricane Ida orders.  https://ready.nola.gov/home/  

Realistically, further notice should come about 15-20 years in the future.  

The levees held and I don't think Netherlands gets cat 4 storms.  Big problem? Just like Texas the grid is down although people are starting to get power back.  Hard to plan for that kind of wind sustained that long - amazing not seeing a lot of structure damage.  When I wrote hard that means expensive.

1 hour ago, El Mariachi said:

I vividly recall when Elle gave us a tour of N/O about ten or eleven years ago seeing dirty 'high tide' water lines like just 4 to 6 feet below some of the facia boards.....on two story houses. That's....a fuk ton of water.....

Bottom line, don't build a city below sea level!  I know you get that.

On 9/4/2021 at 9:32 AM, El Mariachi said:

Unfortunately, shit DOES run uphill....in DC at least......:lol:

Suckreminto asswell ass every city in Kalifornia

fucker from DAGO running for Gov claims he FIXED Everything here.

when he posts a video you would think the comments are all from SA

Butt in Kalifornia an ASSCLOWN has won most everything for many years

What do we have ?

Weather, Surf, Free Salt Water, Beaches, Mountains, Desert & MEXICO a few min away

Speaking of Shit running Up-Hill and MEXICO

California Beach Shut After Mexico Sewage Flows North Again

The entire shoreline of Southern California’s Imperial Beach is closed to swimmers and surfers after sewage-contaminated runoff flowed north again from Mexico’s Tijuana River.

|
April 18, 2021, at 1:23 p.m.

U.S. News & World Report

The Associated Press

FILE - In this Dec. 12, 2018, file photo, a couple walk along the beach as signs warn of contaminated water at Imperial Beach, Calif. The entire shoreline of Southern California's Imperial Beach is closed to swimmers and surfers after sewage-contaminated runoff flowed north again from Mexico’s Tijuana River. The closure announced Friday, April 16, 2021, will be in place until testing shows the water is safe, the San Diego Union-Tribune reported. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull, File) The Associated Press

IMPERIAL BEACH, Calif. (AP) — The entire shoreline of Southern California's Imperial Beach is closed to swimmers and surfers after sewage-contaminated runoff flowed north again from Mexico’s Tijuana River.

The closure announced Friday will be in place until testing shows the water is safe, the San Diego Union-Tribune reported.

“The stench was crazy, just terrible,” said Imperial Beach Mayor Serge Dedina. “We’re just going into our round robin of endless openings and closures because of the residual sewage in the river.”

Hundreds of millions of gallons of toxic water has flowed north from Mexico over the past several decades.

San Diego officials have been pushing for a new system since 2019.

The EPA is also looking to expand concrete basins in the river valley that capture urban runoff in canyons along the border. The facilities were upgraded in 2010, but sewage and chemical-tainted flows continue to overwhelm their capacity.

On the plus side. Now Texan women can just cross the border to Mexico, and get an abortion.....

Gettin' interesting out there:

The Tejas seacoast is about to get very wet from Tropical Storm Nic.
The Orange Blob off the Easter Seaboard might give the Carolinas, Virginia and New Jersey some concern.
The Orange Blog off of Africa could be of concern for a lot of areas in about a week and a half.  

two_atl_5d0.png

Yep, pretty much what I've come to expect...
May be an image of text that says 'IL Tropical-Storm-Force Wind Speed Probabilities For the 120 hours (5.00 days) from PM CDT WED SEP 08 01 PM CDT MON SEP 13 oH WEATHEA WV KY VA TN 35N+ NC MS SC AL GA Bermud 25N Bahamas 90W 85W 75W 70W 65W Probability of tropical-storm-force winds 1-minute average 39 mph) from all tropical cyclones Oindicates Tropical Storm Mindy center location PM CDT WED SEP 08, 2021 (Forecast/Advisory #1) 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90'

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

The Red Blog off of Africa could be of concern for a lot of areas in about a week and a half.  

two_atl_5d0.png

Looks like the perfect start for a Florida visit.

21 hours ago, Jules said:

It does have that trajectory so far.  We will see what happens when it reaches the Caribbean.

• Like 1
On 9/13/2021 at 11:30 AM, Jules said:

Yup.  Strongly reminiscent of the path Hurricane IRMA took four years ago; that's the hurricane that welcomed us to Floriduh. The wifey was NOT HAPPY!!! about enduring a Cat 4 hurricane three weeks after her arrival.  

At least this time our house will have a brandy new hurricane metal roof as well as hurricane windows.  

19 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Yup.  Strongly reminiscent of the path Hurricane IRMA took four years ago; that's the hurricane that welcomed us to Floriduh. The wifey was NOT HAPPY!!! about enduring a Cat 4 hurricane three weeks after her arrival.  

At least this time our house will have a brandy new hurricane metal roof as well as hurricane windows.  

You moved to Floriduh during season and did not expect a storm? Come on, man

Slight thread drift....

20 years ago a friend here in Silicon Valley married a lovely girl from out of State who was terrified of earthquakes.  She convinced him to quit his quite senior tech job here and get a lower-paying job at Microsoft in Redmond WA.  So off they went and bought a house and moved in.  Three weeks later there was a 6.8 in Seattle and their nice new house was partially wrecked.

She went a bit mental after that.

Back to blow jobs.

4 hours ago, Max Rockatansky said:

You moved to Floriduh during season and did not expect a storm? Come on, man

LOL. Oh, we expected storms. We just didn't expect a Cat 4 superstorm rampaging up the spine (such that it is) of Florida and knocking most of the state back into the Stone Age for a week or more. Especially, when everything we owned was packed in hundreds of incorrectly labeled, randomly distributed cardboard boxes. Fortunately, thanks to the generous help of our neighbors, some pretty damn good fortune, and lots and lots of hard work, we did very well with little damage. 

Still, timing is everything.  ;)

We're in a MUCH better situation now.  

40 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

LOL. Oh, we expected storms. We just didn't expect a Cat 4 superstorm rampaging up the spine (such that it is) of Florida and knocking most of the state back into the Stone Age for a week or more. Especially, when everything we owned was packed in hundreds of incorrectly labeled, randomly distributed cardboard boxes. Fortunately, thanks to the generous help of our neighbors, some pretty damn good fortune, and lots and lots of hard work, we did very well with little damage. 

Still, timing is everything.  ;)

We're in a MUCH better situation now.  

When we closed on a beach condo there was a named storm in the Atlantic. Did you know that you cant get an insurance policy then? Dodged that storm, got a policy and got wacked by the next one. Thank goodness it was only one room and some furniture that got wrecked.

• Like 1

Nicholas is doing a number on the Redneck Riviera today at least rainwise. Probably more than 12" by the end of the day. Just up the road Wunderground is reporting over 2" rain/hour and total of 8" so far at midday. And as I write this the rain is now ramping up more! NYC and New Jersey would be underwater at this rate. I better go make sure my sailplane in its trailer in the yard doesn't float away... The Weather Cat must know something because he came in the house before daybreak and was begging to get into the guest bedroom and has been in there ever since. And he LIKES Hurricanes. 

image.png.853474249b89a4eb9ecb58f60a725394.png

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Gangbusters said:

When we closed on a beach condo there was a named storm in the Atlantic. Did you know that you cant get an insurance policy then? Dodged that storm, got a policy and got wacked by the next one. Thank goodness it was only one room and some furniture that got wrecked.

Ye Gobs. Sounds like Kali's policy on earthquake insurance. If one occurs 60(?) days after the policy is let, you have zero coverage.  Combine that with the outrageous cost and insane deductible, fugitaboudit.  

Our insurance policy is hurricane windows and roof. And a truck with long legs if something really ugly appears on the horizon.  Run away, run awaaaaaay! 

I thought that maybe the tur farmers at that weather station above had neglected to empty the rain gauge but I browsed around a bit further West and see Biloxi is getting a good soaking as well. 14 inches since midnight, 13 hours!

image.thumb.png.6867d1d1ff57dd0853decfd18d94f73d.png

2 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Our insurance policy is hurricane windows and roof. And a truck with long legs if something really ugly appears on the horizon.  Run away, run awaaaaaay! 

Our MO was to keep anything we couldn’t replace in tote bins so we could just pack up and go

37 minutes ago, Max Rockatansky said:

Our MO was to keep anything we couldn’t replace in tote bins so we could just pack up and go

Yup.  We've got similar "Go Boxes". The important stuff plus enough food, water, clothes and sundries to last us (2 "adults", 1 dawg and two rotten cats) 3 days without outside assistance.  We can be Di-Di Mau 10 minutes after the Go Button is mashed.  

16 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

I thought that maybe the tur farmers at that weather station above had neglected to empty the rain gauge but I browsed around a bit further West and see Biloxi is getting a good soaking as well. 14 inches since midnight, 13 hours!

Back in Chicago, many years ago, we got 4" in 5 hours.  Basement flooded with over 2' of water.  But 14" in 13 hours?  Better be in a houseboat.

Nicholas has been riding the coast.  Since we're in this bizarre time in weather history, wouldn't be surprised to see it dip back down from LA, into the Gulf, where there's usually a nice, deep pocket of warm water, and come back to life.

2 hours ago, Jkdubz808 said:

Spicing up.  Good thing I go home early next week so I can prep the house for a possible incoming.242199537_4567800653285379_5042937103435272651_n.png.82dcccaa4e780e91a3e786603f3b89c1.png

Too early to call - Butt, the models are suggesting a turn to the north starting near Haiti. 

Maybe Gnu Yawk gets it in the teeth again. We can only hope. 

5 hours ago, Jkdubz808 said:

Spicing up.  Good thing I go home early next week so I can prep the house for a possible incoming.242199537_4567800653285379_5042937103435272651_n.png.82dcccaa4e780e91a3e786603f3b89c1.png

The trend is northward.  I'm with Charlie on this.  Probably heads up north....

...towards New England, the new hurricane capital of the US. :rolleyes:

58 minutes ago, Jules said:

The trend is northward.  I'm with Charlie on this.  Probably heads up north....

...towards New England, the new hurricane capital of the US. :rolleyes:

No real agreement between the US and Euro models. Until it turns, Invest 95L will remain bore sighted on Floriduh. Specifically, on me.  Global + Hurricane model tracks:

95L_tracks_latest.png

I'm making plans to do the traditional panic buying of bread and milk. This time I think I'll add butter and syrup for the après-hurricane French Toast feast.      

On 9/16/2021 at 11:10 AM, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Too early to call - Butt, the models are suggesting a turn to the north starting near Haiti. 

Maybe Gnu Yawk gets it in the teeth again. We can only hope. 

Meanwhile in New England…. Little TS Odette is well offshore but now we have a small craft warning, says expect 4-7 foot waves Saturday night through all day Sunday.

Probably it as bad as last week with Larry, when I decided to do the last legs of my delivery Sun/Mon after the warning had expired and still got more waves that I bargained for. Some 8 to 10 footers mixed in, all on the beam all freaking day. Sunday was looking like a nice sailing day, but now I am staying in.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

I've got a bad feeling about this...  Invest 98L.

two_atl_5d0.png

Yeah I've been watching that one.  They all seem to turn north where Peter did, perhaps 98L may do the same.  Time will tell.

7 hours ago, tybee said:

i get a bad feeling from all those cape verde storms.

They're bad news, but give plenty of warning. And at the moment they seem to be swinging north into the Atlantic.

The ones that scare me are the ones that pop up south of Cuba and suddenly they're two days out and closing. Takes me two days to do hurricane prep. Those also have a far better chance of hitting my section of Gulf coast than the ones that come all the way across the Atlantic.

Where do they go? Anywhere they want.

hht.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like Sam is going to be a Fish Killer. However the Euro model's tracks are shifting slightly to the West.  

And there is a new wave coming off of Equatorial Western Africa. 

Things are getting hot in the ol' pond.  

18L_geps_latest.pngtwo_atl_5d0.png