Are those new ultra lightweight superyachts going too far?

17 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

don't know about large ones,  but this one made me throw up a little..

csm_SY_Header_Yotube_311220_v2_d8c3d7405

1b+136074243_10158303242104425_183170248

07_Gallery.jpg

a 10m boat that needs two wheels?

03_Gallery.jpg

It is as ugly as a vanDutch.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, apophenia said:

Bold move to borrow the name, color scheme and overall design from the laundry.

71c7a4-3BUL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The similarities are striking

10 hours ago, apophenia said:

Bold move to borrow the name, color scheme and overall design from the laundry.

71c7a4-3BUL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

its just keeping the family lineage and brand recognition.....

13 hours ago, fastyacht said:

It is as ugly as a vanDutch.

I think a designer (not a naval architect) was told ‘make it easy to get to the back of the boat so people can interact with the water easier’……he/she did a layout with twin wheels…….the executives loved it……’build it! They said’.  Then the poor naval architect said ‘what about the sails, and the mainsheet’, and the executives said ‘don’t worry’ and ‘make it work’

the designer will win awards for an innovative new design that improves the ‘user experience’ and the naval architect will be forever remembered as the person who ruined the design with that ‘bit of string to control the sail’ right in the middle of the walkway to the ‘water interaction zone’ or whatever they will call it,

also the dude in purchasing will have to save money somewhere else as the twin wheel setup was not in the budget (maybe we can use polyester rather than vinylester resin) or something similar….

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Mudsailor said:

I think a designer (not a naval architect) was told ‘make it easy to get to the back of the boat so people can interact with the water easier’……he/she did a layout with twin wheels…….the executives loved it……’build it! They said’.  Then the poor naval architect said ‘what about the sails, and the mainsheet’, and the executives said ‘don’t worry’ and ‘make it work’

the designer will win awards for an innovative new design that improves the ‘user experience’ and the naval architect will be forever remembered as the person who ruined the design with that ‘bit of string to control the sail’ right in the middle of the walkway to the ‘water interaction zone’ or whatever they will call it,

also the dude in purchasing will have to save money somewhere else as the twin wheel setup was not in the budget (maybe we can use polyester rather than vinylester resin) or something similar….

And on the first less than perfect gybe they'll lose both wheels as the mainsheet drapes over them

On 5/23/2021 at 2:49 AM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

don't know about large ones,  but this one made me throw up a little..

csm_SY_Header_Yotube_311220_v2_d8c3d7405

1b+136074243_10158303242104425_183170248

07_Gallery.jpg

a 10m boat that needs two wheels?

03_Gallery.jpg

I was thinking of the Hanstaiger X1 when I first saw it.

2020 Trimaran Hanstaiger X1, Alicante Spain - boats.com

On 5/22/2021 at 11:21 PM, Maus1983 said:

This thing is supposed to be 111ft of fully foiling yacht using the same style foils as the Cup boats - seems like a hell of puzzle to try and pull together but I guess it's owners like this, that aren't scared to throw huge sums of money at risky projects, that let the rest of the industry figure out just what is possible...

Interestingly the Mills designed foiler that is due to be built by King Marine has to have a 'traditional' fin and bulb so it's stable when not moving to satisfy all the current rating and measurement requirements - seems like it might be a while until foilers fit into the regular framework....

11 hours ago, NZK said:

This thing is supposed to be 111ft of fully foiling yacht using the same style foils as the Cup boats - seems like a hell of puzzle to try and pull together but I guess it's owners like this, that aren't scared to throw huge sums of money at risky projects, that let the rest of the industry figure out just what is possible...

Interestingly the Mills designed foiler that is due to be built by King Marine has to have a 'traditional' fin and bulb so it's stable when not moving to satisfy all the current rating and measurement requirements - seems like it might be a while until foilers fit into the regular framework....

Interesting. That seems quite the risk to immediately make a 111ft yacht. I hope they at least make some smaller proof of concepts.

Foilers MUST HAVE active control systems that can safely deal with the boat becoming airborne and re-entering with minimal accelerations. This is non-trivial.

Weight is also very critical for hydrofoils, so anchors, dinghies, cocktail bars, hot guests, and so on just don't combine well with hydrofoils.

There are reasons the US Navy, after investing in hydrofoils literally from the very beginning more than a century ago, has exactly zero operational hydrofoils. If the US Defense Department can't afford to make them work...

Baltic makes nice boats....  (in my experience)... and the support is incredible.. (again, my experience)....

When my yachtCoin™ (that I got in on the ground floor my dear lads) goes to 10 cents... I shall also commission a new Baltic Yachts stunner...

I want my moon pool (for scuba diving entry and reentry), self raising wingsail and teak decks....

It will be lovely.....   BTW.. if you want in on yachtCoin   just go to https://www.yachtcoin.coin use reference code SAGroundFloor for the best deals....†

;)

† only the first line of this post is based on reality... the rest.... dream on....