I want to start sailing my dinghy now that the weather is nice. I’m on western Long Island sound. Norwalk specifically. Water temp is 58 currently and air temps are between 70 and 80 lately. I want to sail and not waste June so I got a wetsuit. 3/2 mm full suit. Here is my question. Do I get on the boat dry and keep dry until I capsize?  Or should I get the suit wet before I set out?

Keep dry as much as you can, but don't worry if you get wet... (At least that's what I've done over the years, and it works for me.)

• Like 3

Here in Seattle water is always 50s air can be 80s. I wear my farmer john down around my waist and rashguard and spray top on top in heavier breeze, just spray top in light. I have a zhik and  fine with short immersions in hot weather. Didn't get wet except for legs when launching

• Like 1

I would have heat stroke in a full 3/2 @ 70 degrees ambient. 

Get  a front zip $35-50 2 or 3 mil shorty off amazon and wear shorts over so you don't tear the arse out. Front zip is nice for ventilation and micturation.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Dex Sawash said:

I would have heat stroke in a full 3/2 @ 70 degrees ambient. 

Get  a front zip $35-50 2 or 3 mil shorty off amazon and wear shorts over so you don't tear the arse out. Front zip is nice for ventilation and micturation.

Till you take a full on wave that is 50d Cures your heat stroke real quick..

But in light air where that is unlikely I only wear the bottoms because the boat does get water in it and feet and lower legs get cold even in the heat. 

Can be tough to make the call. Going out in 10-15 full wetsuit only to have the wind die mid day and you are dying in the wetsuit. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Dex Sawash said:

and micturation.

I see you're a Douglas Adams fan.
By way of another solution, the dude on the middle left.
image.png.e09abc9be9e48adb6f75ede1b55575f7.png

• Like 1
5 hours ago, thengling said:

I see you're a Douglas Adams fan.
By way of another solution, the dude on the middle left.
image.png.e09abc9be9e48adb6f75ede1b55575f7.png

My word, that Stephen Fry does get around.

That's him on the extreme left, right?

...and baaaaaa... if that's not him, my word, that's certainly his mustache!

Never ignore a poo poo - Album on Imgur

• Like 1

Wetsuits work equally well, wet or dry, so no need to wet it before you get out.  If you are worried about overheating in the sun, wear a white tee shirt over the top of it, or a rash vest if you want.  

One other wetsuit tip, always soak with fresh water after using in the sea, otherwise it'll smell and give you a rash.

• Like 1

Wetsuit worked like a charm. I just got wet right off the bat because it was hot out. Did capsize a ways out. Was comfortable while recovering. Granted it only took a minute. Rinsed out the suit good after. Good tool to have. Glad I got it. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rasputin22 said:

Just wait for that first nice warm pee in your wetsuit...

I’m more worried about swamp ass. 

I was in Miami for the Olympic Classes Regatta trying to punch my ticket to represent the USVI in the Tornado Class in the Barcelona Games. It was also the Mid-Winters so we were sailing in wetsuits unlike on our home waters. There was a cold snap to boot and we were glad we had borrowed wetsuits the first day of sailing. I was wearing my custom built full wetsuit that Sailor Man in Ft Lauderdale had supplied me a couple of years earlier for a disastrous Worrell 1000 campaign. It was almost too warm but my mate had borrowed some thin dive/surf neoprene from friend in St Thomas and he was freezing the whole day. I kept hearing him let out a relieved 'AHHHH!!!' repeatedly as he relieved himself in the suit. He was hanging from the trapeze wire on the windward legs of the Olympic Triangle course and I was getting a 'golden shower' sitting on the rail downwind from him every time he would cut loose. Pissed me right off so I made him give me the trap harness between races and helmed from the wire the rest of the day. We usually sailed in that configuration back home since I was about a foot taller than he and I liked being able to straddle him with my legs while out of the wire and could clamp down on his shoulders and steady myself and focus on driving. I had better visibility from out there and the boat was more stable with the added lessening of pitch since we had out CG in a more focus range over sitting fore and aft on the rail. Sort of unconventional but it had the added advantage that I wasn't sitting in his flow of piss from the leaky wetsuit. 

Next morning was even colder and when I opened up the trunk of the rental car I almost fell down in the yacht club parking lot from the smell. My mate hadn't bothered to rinse out his suit and it was well marinated in piss which only added to the aroma of his Harken Boat Shoes (original version) which still rate as one of the most stinky items ever on a boat, which is saying a lot!  I gave him a rash of shit about that and he just said that I shouldn't worry about it and it was good training for the sailing waters in Barcelona which had the added effluent of the Spanish city's open sewers which was a big topic of discussion among the sailors hoping to go to the Barcelona Olympics! 

• Like 4

Speaking of 'Golden Showers'...

Better save this sea story for a more apt thread!

In the meantime here is an excerpt about the etiquette of peeing in wetsuits! Who even knew that there was such a thing, Amy Vanderbuilt?

2. Don’t pee in a friend’s wetsuit

Sometimes desperate times call for desperate measures. Picture this: the waves are pumping, and you find yourself at a friend’s house up a creek without a suit. Your buddy says it’s too big. But hey, “You can borrow my wetsuit,” he says. What a pal. The only way to soil this touching moment is to literally soil that suit. Like with dogs as in the ocean, once you pee freely all over something that was once someone else’s you send a message: mine now. In the world of pheromones and ammonia, you’ve declared that when someone lends you something out of the kindness of their heart, instead of returning it in working order, you’ve chosen to piss your friendship away.

https://www.theinertia.com/surf/the-definitive-guide-to-peeing-in-your-wetsuit/

We all do it.

Peeing In Your Wetsuit - Pros, Cons and Everything You Need to Know! - Go  Freediving