Which is better place to relocate and sail: Annapolis or San Deigo

Time of change is coming and choices need to be made. I have really enjoyed living and sailing in the San Francisco bay. I sail and race all year long here. We now have ichy feet and need new pastures. I am not ready to swallow the anchor and still will work for the next decade and a half. My wife and I now empty nesters and are seriously considering a move to either San Diego or Annapolis. We just came back from a week long housing market look while visiting my son in Maryland. We spend couple of weeks a year down in San Deigo. San Diego housing prices are slightly lower than the bay area but slip fees are much higher. Annapolis housing prices would enable me to own a super home and maybe a private dock.

Annapolis folks are friendlier. San Deigo weather is ideal. Other than that - which is better when a active sailor has enough to buy at either place, sails a bunch and lives a fuller life?

• Black Jack changed the title to Which is better place to relocate and sail: Annapolis or San Deigo

Easy. Spend 500K on a townhome or rowhouse and get a bigger/better boat.

I've lived in Annapolis. I liked the climate generally and the small town feel to it. Winters were a thing, but they were short and we would have warm spells in the middle of it. Summer it's hot and the winds are light so get a boat that sails well in really light winds. Spring and fall are great.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Zonker said:

Easy. Spend 500K on a townhome or rowhouse and get a bigger/better boat.

I've lived in Annapolis. I liked the climate generally and the small town feel to it. Winters were a thing, but they were short and we would have warm spells in the middle of it. Summer it's hot and the winds are light so get a boat that sails well in really light winds. Spring and fall are great.

Thats what I was thinking too. Being close the east coast corridor and one of my best clients in the district would mean I could just that.

9 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Best learn to spell San DIEGO before you move there... Local might not even care in SD but those Naptowners might get their panties in a wad if  you misspell their quaint little towns name. ;)

:blink: I spelled "Annopolis" without a "a" too. I will be hated on both coasts now. 

Dyslexia  (/dəsˈleksēə/)

noun

1. a general term for disorders that involve difficulty in learning to read or interpret words, letters, and other symbols, but that do not affect general intelligence.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Black Jack said:

Time of change is coming and choices need to be made. I have really enjoyed living and sailing in the San Francisco bay. I sail and race all year long here. We now have ichy feet and need new pastures. I am not ready to swallow the anchor and still will work for the next decade and a half. My wife and I now empty nesters and are seriously considering a move to either San Diego or Annapolis. We just came back from a week long housing market look while visiting my son in Maryland. We spend couple of weeks a year down in San Deigo. San Diego housing prices are slightly lower than the bay area but slip fees are much higher. Annapolis housing prices would enable me to own a super home and maybe a private dock.

Annapolis folks are friendlier. San Deigo weather is ideal. Other than that - which is better when a active sailor has enough to buy at either place, sails a bunch and lives a fuller life?

Annapolis all the way IMHO. San Diego is blessed with a consistent climate instead of weather, so there is that. Day sailing and day racing paradise if that is what you want to do. Once you get beyond that, it really lacks anyplace to go easily past maybe going around the corner to Mission Bay.

Over here we have endless places to explore and towns to visit in the Bay itself, never mind being a week away from New England or Bermuda. For good and ill we have weather, it might blow 100 knots, it might blow 0. It might actually be warm racing the frostbite series or you might freeze your balls off. You WILL see frequent thunderstorms and we do get hurricanes and tornadoes every now and again. The Bermuda High can sit on you with a wet blanket of heat, humidity, and 0-5 knots out of the south for days and days on end and then a front comes through spitting lightning like Satan's Own Disco. After that you up anchor head south healed to a NW wind with crystal clear blue skies and no humidity. 

Also very few places are as sailing oriented as Annapolis, it is a really fun place to be :D

I'd choose San Diego without reservation, first and foremost for the temperate climate. SDYC and the other local clubs put together plenty of races to keep busy with, and San Diego offers far more in terms of restaurants and things to do than small-town Annapolis. Annapolis is definitely pretty and there's plenty of racing there as well, but for me it's San Diego, no question. 

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, BlondeWithFreeBoat said:

I'd choose San Diego without reservation, first and foremost for the temperate climate. SDYC and the other local clubs put together plenty of races to keep busy with, and San Diego offers far more in terms of restaurants and things to do than small-town Annapolis. Annapolis is definitely pretty and there's plenty of racing there as well, but for me it's San Diego, no question. 

There are a LOT of restaurants in Annapolis, it is nothing resembling what I think of as "small town" eating, never mind being 40 minutes away from all the restaurants in DC, plus the ones on the Shore, plus Baltimore if you are willing to go there. I can think of reasons to like San Diego over Annapolis, but eating isn't one of them. I used to work out there frequently and really enjoyed the variety of food there as opposed to all the BFE towns that had TGIF or AppleBees as the high end restaurant, pizza for mid range, and McDs for low end :rolleyes: One of the reasons for this was I am so used to the large variety we have here ;)

Every time I went sailing in San Diego I would think "This weather is perfect, I wish they had somewhere to GO". YMMV hugely on how much that matters to you. If local racing is your thing you might never notice, you go out and back from the same slip every time.

Here are some, but by no means all:

https://www.baltimoremagazine.com/section/fooddrink/best-annapolis-restaurants-guide/

They left out a bunch, probably the ones that didn't want to pay to be in the list. Davis' Pub and The Boatyard, two rather well known sailor's hangouts, didn't get in there for one thing. That list is maybe half what you have to choose from.

there are other locales within a 30-60 minute drive to a boat in Annapolis that wouldn't require you to live  in that city. 

yeah, the DC/Baltimore  traffic sucks donkey dicks, yeah Annapolis is congested on weekends... bottom line is it doesn't suck here and affords access to a lot of cruising grounds as well as active racing venues. 

I am a fan of the Chesapeake. But just sold my waterfront house near Annapolis and am heading further down the Bay for reasons that don't matter to your decision. 

I can't address Sandy Eggo. Cool city and all that but don't know enough about the sailing there to form an opinion one way or another. I happen to enjoy seasons, which they apparently are lacking. 

6 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

It has been congested for longer than anyone reading this has been alive, the roads were laid out for horses ;)

Naw

I grew up in Annapolis 

my parents bought the house in 1949

eastport was fisherman , boatyards and fuel storage tanks 

a tanker ship used to come into the harbour to deliver fuel 

Annapolis town was dominated by the naval academy

It was a quite town quite 

i rode my bicycle to school 

the roundabout at the foot of main street at the city dock was a gas station

presently Annapolis is overrun with blow ins , salesman , real estate agents and  life style types 

very few real people left , the days of Arne  Gay , Bert Jabin , the Petrinis are long gone 

if you wish to live on the Chesapeake look south 

446F93FD-FC13-4975-9BA7-4AD4E5C28807.png

49 minutes ago, eastern motors said:

Try taking one of the two roads out of San Diego on a Friday afternoon.

"Wow, no traffic here" was a thought I never had in San Diego.

1 hour ago, slug zitski said:

Naw

I grew up in Annapolis 

my parents bought the house in 1949

eastport was fisherman , boatyards and fuel storage tanks 

a tanker ship used to come into the harbour to deliver fuel 

Annapolis town was dominated by the naval academy

It was a quite town quite 

i rode my bicycle to school 

the roundabout at the foot of main street at the city dock was a gas station

presently Annapolis is overrun with blow ins , salesman , real estate agents and  life style types 

very few real people left , the days of Arne  Gay , Bert Jabin , the Petrinis are long gone 

if you wish to live on the Chesapeake look south 

446F93FD-FC13-4975-9BA7-4AD4E5C28807.png

Well I wasn't here until 1969, but it was already crowded and hard to park by then.

If all your ever going to do is day sail and race, then San Diego has a leg up due to climate and lack of humidity.  If some cruising is on the agenda, the Chesapeake Bay offers seriously better cruising than San Diego Bay, and Annapolis gets the leg up.  Go an hour south of Annapolis and slips (and houses) get even less expensive.  

2 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Annapolis Boat Show is a definite plus!

but it sure aint a reason to move there!

I don't go to it anymore unless someone offers me a pass to get in. 

and there's usually a regatta or two going on that weekend as well....

Nothing wrong with the sentiments expressed above but consider all the other stuff you can do in SD that you would have to travel way out of Naptown to enjoy: 1) Beaches that have surf you can actually ride and water that isn't brown (don't try to sell me on Atlantic City/Rehoboth/Ocean City, I've lived back there and it sux), 2) Mountains less than an hour away (you can actually find decent skiing less than three hours away and, no, Blue Knob doesn't qualify-been there, done that), 3) the deserts start a little over an hour from your door and they are way cool, 4) Mexico is starting to wake up from its Covid doldrums and is well worthwhile if you like a change of pace 5) Wine country less than an hour in two directions and Mexico's is worth the three hour travel if you choose the third, 6)did anyone mention you can enjoy it all without sweating through your clothes one third of the year, freezing your ass off one third of the year or trying to stay dry most of the year? Yes? OK, well that's the deal killer for me.

I can have fun anywhere and there is a lot to recommend itself in the Annapolis area but the only real clear cut distinction in favor to me is you can sail up a creek somewhere, anchor and get eaten alive by mosquitos. It's true San Diego won't offer that. Just make sure you get a boat with air conditioning.

Pick Naptown; we have enough people here already.

6 hours ago, Al Paca said:

San Diego, aka the lower bowel of Los Angeles. Head East my fellow Californian. 

Oh what happy horseshit that is. Been to LA? Been to Diego?

End of discussion.

• Like 1

native californian born in la jolla and spent most of 1983 in san diego, and I say fuck san diego

annapolis if you just want to live the downtown waterlife, super nice town, but if you want it all, brickyard cove pt richmond and you ski at squaw in 3 hours or so, wine country, SF one of the top 10 cities on the planet, and.........wait for it.....you can sail in one of the premier multi zone sailing venues on the  planet, SF Bay the squaw valley of sailing, everything from sheer cliffs to bunny hills, all on the same day. Except squaw doesnt have tankers and container ships

or you can live in Alameda, also not bad, 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Editor said:

Oh what happy horseshit that is. Been to LA? Been to Diego?

End of discussion.

Like the song says:

Besides, dago is Klan country. 

Black Jack - I noticed you have an interest in motorcycles. If you move over here you need to take some time to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway and all the other mountain roads down past Asheville. That area, especially the southern NC part, is truly astoundingly beautiful with a huge number of stunning waterfalls. This will get you started:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g28954-Activities-c57-t95-North_Carolina.html

https://www.blueridgeparkway.org/

There is also plenty of nice riding closer than that starting about an hour or too west of Annapolis, but there is the usual traffic between here and there. Speaking of, where would you work from? The wrong choice of office and home can equal traffic hell.

13 hours ago, Left Shift said:

We are very pleased that the PNW hasn't been mentioned.  Please don't.  

Been there often. Pretty place to visit. Many of my Bay Area freinds are up there. The vibe is not right for me despite my passion for wooden boats.  One day I will tell my Chris Cornell and music scene stories.

14 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

the ed got smart and moved to carlsbad

I think that is an excellent choice too. I always believed I would live a few years between San Clemente and Del Mar. It was to my regret that I was never stationed in San Diego while in the Navy. I think I would have never left. Norfolk VA never gave me that feeling.

California has a new law that allows folks 55 or older to buy another home in the state and transfer their current property taxes. Now that I just qualified house for house trade north to south wouldn't be that painful. Food costs and expenses are 20 percent cheaper. In Maryland gas even under pipeline extortion was $1.20 less a gallon than here - so the dollar stretches on the same dollars made.

As horrible as the traffic is down there or east around the Beltway - it is just as bad up in Alameda/Oakland to San Jose so I would not recognize the pain if I did some commute to my jobs a few days a week.

14 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

native californian born in la jolla and spent most of 1983 in san diego, and I say fuck san diego

annapolis if you just want to live the downtown waterlife, super nice town, but if you want it all, brickyard cove pt richmond and you ski at squaw in 3 hours or so, wine country, SF one of the top 10 cities on the planet, and.........wait for it.....you can sail in one of the premier multi zone sailing venues on the  planet, SF Bay the squaw valley of sailing, everything from sheer cliffs to bunny hills, all on the same day. Except squaw doesnt have tankers and container ships

or you can live in Alameda, also not bad, 

I do live in Alameda. There was no place I thought better to sail out of except for maybe Marin or San Francisco. We are trying to downsize. I can not sell my house here fast enough but i need a plan. (the house will sell in less than a week.)  The city of Alameda is planning to add 1250 more units of highrises among the HOA dominated single family planned community homes within blocks of my home. They are changing the planned sustainable community that I bought into 20 years ago. The quality of life is slipping away.  More to the point - my wife and I have put 9 offers hundred thousand over asking on houses in Alameda. We keep getting outbid by 100s of K over our bids. We are worn out.

The developers and the city are building tall condos so fast, packed in tight all around the waters edges on both sides, the Oakland Alameda estuary wind patterns have changed, are more sheltered with huge wind holes. It isnt an issue about getting rid of the boats and storage - it has changed another piece of boating quality here with less favorable sailing conditions.

I do live in Alameda. There was no place I thought better to sail out of except for maybe Marin or San Francisco. We are trying to downsize. I can not sell my house here fast enough but i need a plan. (the house will sell in less than a week.)  The city of Alameda is planning to add 1250 more units of highrises among the HOA dominated single family planned community homes within blocks of my home. They are changing the planned sustainable community that I bought into 20 years ago. The quality of life is slipping away.  More to the point - my wife and I have put 9 offers hundred thousand over asking on houses in Alameda. We keep getting outbid by 100s of K over our bids. We are worn out.

The developers and the city are building tall condos so fast, packed in tight all around the waters edges on both sides, the Oakland Alameda estuary wind patterns have changed, are more sheltered with huge wind holes. It isnt an issue about getting rid of the boats and storage - it has changed another piece of boating quality here with less favorable sailing conditions.

There is a simple solution to your dilemma. Move to Sausalito.

10 minutes ago, Al Paca said:

Yea.  A million or 2 to start.  That will get you into Fixer upper. 

Truth. Add on to that a likely HOA monthly fees from 250 to 1200 a month plus high property taxes and fees, many nicer places near water in California are a real asskickers.

37 minutes ago, Black Jack said:

Truth. Add on to that a likely HOA monthly fees from 250 to 1200 a month plus high property taxes and fees, many nicer places near water in California are a real asskickers.

Actually the property taxes here are lower as a percentage than a lot of the east coast, but that does not make up for the higher income & other taxes

About 5 years behind ya...  kid just graduated from CSU, Thinking about Oregon or Washington... Definitely points west...  If I hold onto the S20, Fern ridge res would do nicely and looking at housing, well, going from here to there would put me in the Green Bigley...  Have the MIL though so that will put a kebosh on going forward with that for a bit, but it is on the mind  LOL...  

• Like 2
On 5/24/2021 at 1:51 PM, Black Jack said:

I'll sell you a 3rd floor 2 bed room Condo on Back Creek with a walk to all year 44' slip if you want to do the Annapolis thing.

FWIW: We are quite content in Myrtle Beach, with housing at $100/ft sq and a 46' slip at about $45k up from $38 k last fall. The trajectory of both CA and MD are not ones I would want to be riding....

6 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Really.

https://cathedral.org/earthquake/eq3/

Nearly eight years after the 2011 earthquake that rocked the Cathedral, repairs continue as funding becomes available. Even though we have a long road ahead, we’ve made remarkable progress.

Holy shit I don’t remember that.

29 minutes ago, shaggy said:

About 5 years behind ya...  kid just graduated from CSU, Thinking about Oregon or Washington... Definitely points west...  If I hold onto the S20, Fern ridge res would do nicely and looking at housing, well, going from here to there would put me in the Green Bigley...  Have the MIL though so that will put a kebosh on going forward with that for a bit, but it is on the mind  LOL...  

It seems the MIL maybe the best holding anchor in this current.

5 hours ago, Black Jack said:

Been there often. Pretty place to visit. Many of my Bay Area freinds are up there. The vibe is not right for me despite my passion for wooden boats.  One day I will tell my Chris Cornell and music scene stories.

Great, one day I'll tell my Courtney Love and/or my Eddie Vedder stories, and maybe toss in a Jimi story as well.  

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Great, one day I'll tell my Courtney Love and/or my Eddie Vedder stories, and maybe toss in a Jimi story as well.  

We need to have a sit down!

Ah yes, Courtney Love lived across the hall in my Fell Street appartment, a block from Filmore & Haight Street. Not as charming as one would want her to be.  The Buck Naked parties were legendary in the garage.

I do have lots of good Marty Balin stories. That dude along with Paul Kantner changed my life.

23 minutes ago, Black Jack said:

We need to have a sit down!

Ah yes, Courtney Love lived across the hall in my Fell Street appartment, a block from Filmore & Haight Street. Not as charming as one would want her to be.  The Buck Naked parties were legendary in the garage.

I do have lots of good Marty Balin stories. That dude along with Paul Kantner changed my life.

Charming is never a word I associated with Ms. Love :rolleyes:

Hole is one of the best bands of the era. Skank? Yes. Ultra talented musician? You bet your ass!! 
Glad I don’t have to interact with her, she bites her finger and toenails...

15 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Hole is one of the best bands of the era. Skank? Yes. Ultra talented musician? You bet your ass!! 
Glad I don’t have to interact with her, she bites her finger and toenails...

Having been in the music biz ages ago, Ms. Love and Hole get filed in the "Love to watch the show, not anxious to have to work with them" category.

It seems the MIL maybe the best holding anchor in this current.

Well, CO Housing prices are through the roof and we have the typical suburban house, backing to a private park within walking distance to the HS, Grade School and the lake...  So.....  When the number gets to the right place (Houses are selling sight unseen in a week with bidding wars) we might get an offer we can't refuse...  Then we will seriously be looking for something with a MIL apartment wayyyy away from Denver.  CPU Guy so flexible.