Running Tide and Kialoa III A2N

8 hours ago, Al Paca said:

Pics please. 

I will be at the Saturday start June 5th in my downeast boat to take photos.

• Like 1

Caught a glimpse of Running Tide at New England Boatworks, Portsmouth, RI this past weekend.  Couldn't pass up getting a couple pix of this awesome boat!  Looks like a brand new boat... built in 1969.

...FC

Running Tide 1.JPG

Running Tide 2.JPG

Running Tide 3.JPG

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Foxtrot Corpen said:

Caught a glimpse of Running Tide at New England Boatworks, Portsmouth, RI this past weekend.  Couldn't pass up getting a couple pix of this awesome boat!  Looks like a brand new boat... built in 1969.

...FC

Running Tide 1.JPG

Running Tide 2.JPG

Running Tide 3.JPG

What a beautiful boat.  Not bad for a boat designed back in the 1960's

The original owner, Jakob Isbrandtsen, had his own shipping company and did all right for himself.  Had a cute daughter too.  Both were instrumental in setting up the South Street Seaport when they were just getting it going, IIRC.  

But the boat, as gorgeous as it was and still is, never really set the world on fire back then.  

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Foxtrot Corpen said:

...FC

Running Tide 1.JPG

Running Tide 2.JPG

Running Tide 3.JPG

gorgeous looking boat...

The boat has a new carbon mast (+10ft.), new sails, electric winches, AC, bow thruster, new electronics, etc. Nothing spared.

My dear late friend Ray Brown was the navigator for many years. He was a heart surgeon and set up clinic onboard the boat for the wounded worriers of the fleet after ocean races. 

Understand that last Friday as the delivery crew was departing NEBW the new engine (Nanni) failed (crenkshaft) and has delayed the trip to Annapolis by about a week. The boat is scheduled to compete in the Annapolis - Newport race on 6/5.

3 hours ago, Left Shift said:

The original owner, Jakob Isbrandtsen, had his own shipping company and did all right for himself.  Had a cute daughter too.  Both were instrumental in setting up the South Street Seaport when they were just getting it going, IIRC.  

But the boat, as gorgeous as it was and still is, never really set the world on fire back then.  

How did it get so famous?

18 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

How did it get so famous?

Turns out my memory is based on its LIS performance - mostly light air - and is wrong.  In the SORC and offshore Running Tide with it's beating and reaching in breeze was quite successful.

It was also one of the true new breed of gold-platers.  The old CCA 70' yawls like Windigo were well past their prime.  Plus new money, like Tom Watson, Turner and Isbrandtsen were coming into the racing scene at a high level with fat wallets.

Plus Jakob's daughter was cute.  

Tide was a beautiful boat and she did just fine in Long Island Sound.

Was a story back in 1972 maybe about Tide breaking her rod headstay during a Bermuda campaign. It was like one of the first of its kind IIRC. 

Jakob Isbrandtsen gets on the horn to president of US Steel and gets a new one built ASAP. Headstay makes its way down to the shipping department and the the boys are scratching their heads about how to ship the dang thing. Shipping foreman is consulted and he tells them, "Cut it into 10 foot sections and ship it as per normal."

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Turns out my memory is based on its LIS performance - mostly light air - and is wrong.  In the SORC and offshore Running Tide with it's beating and reaching in breeze was quite successful.

It was also one of the true new breed of gold-platers.  The old CCA 70' yawls like Windigo were well past their prime.  Plus new money, like Tom Watson, Turner and Isbrandtsen were coming into the racing scene at a high level with fat wallets.

Plus Jakob's daughter was cute.  

Isbrandtsen was hardly "new money". I raced on his previous boat, S&S 66' yawl "Good News"

Hans was nice kid. Almost 50 years has passed....

• Like 1
1 hour ago, quod umbra said:

Was a story back in 1972 maybe about Tide breaking her rod headstay during a Bermuda campaign. It was like one of the first of its kind IIRC. 

Jakob Isbrandtsen gets on the horn to president of US Steel and gets a new one built ASAP. Headstay makes its way down to the shipping department and the the boys are scratching their heads about how to ship the dang thing. Shipping foreman is consulted and he tells them, "Cut it into 10 foot sections and ship it as per normal."

My first awareness of the forces and dangers aboard those huge boats was a story about Tide 50 years ago.

A block blew up - running back maybe? Anyway, the loose line swept a coffee grinder off the deck.

Until I read about that I had no conception of the kind of forces involved on boats that size. I had never been on anything where you couldn't just grab a loose line.

I'm pretty sure it was Running Tide that I read about, where the hull twisted going upwind to the extent that the running backstay would go slack, then snap tight again, throwing the cook out of his quarterberth!

Gorgeous boat though!

2 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Isbrandtsen was hardly "new money". I raced on his previous boat, S&S 66' yawl "Good News"

Hans was nice kid. Almost 50 years has passed....

On the social east coast, you have to distinguish between 18th Century money, 19th Century money and 20th Century money.  

18th Century money = Old money and was named Cabot, Lodge or Schuyler. 

19th Century money = Just plain serious money and was named Vanderbilt, Rockefeller and Carnegie.

20th Century money = New money is Turner and such upstarts.  

21st Century money = Not our kind.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, webbwash said:

They forgot to mention that it was built by Palmer Johnson's of Sturgeon Bay --- except for the "PJ" on the builder's line

Kialoa ORC VPP:  Yep, it indeed does rumble upwind in breeze.

But check out that jibe angle in 20 knots. The tactician can go take a nap, if he's strapped in.  

235589403_ScreenShot2021-05-25at5_46_36PM.png.a21253bb2fbbc2e0c731605d5742126e.png

TP52 ORC VPP:  Then you turn the corner.

2022443923_ScreenShot2021-05-25at5_45_11PM.thumb.png.fae87c3cc1882b71426b396a0e01351b.png

1 hour ago, Recidivist said:

I'm pretty sure it was Running Tide that I read about, where the hull twisted going upwind to the extent that the running backstay would go slack, then snap tight again, throwing the cook out of his quarterberth!

Gorgeous boat though!

Probably referring to the Jerome Milgram designed Ondine.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Former MDR Vandal 1 said:

No, it was definitely either Tide or Sorcery - they were both new 66'ers at the time and we were looking to build one of those designs, until this came up.  We decided to build a variation of Windward Passage instead - how much extra could 6 or 7 feet cost? :lol:

Long time ago now, some details lost ...

Edit:  Coincidentally, a couple of years ago we were in an anchorage in Croatia and there was a boat nearby that I swore was Running Tide, but looking at the photos above, the name wasn't on the quarter.  Someone else must have built a sistership and even painted it the same colour blue!

Edited by Recidivist
Memory returning.
40 minutes ago, Former MDR Vandal 1 said:

Yes, that was one bendy boat.  Pumping up the backstay would lock the prop shaft.  It also locked Huey in the aft head one day, and we didn't let him out till the next offwind leg when we could ease the backstay.  There were awful bleatings from the little deck hatch.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Kialoa ORC VPP:  Yep, it indeed does rumble upwind in breeze.

But check out that jibe angle in 20 knots. The tactician can go take a nap, if he's strapped in.  

235589403_ScreenShot2021-05-25at5_46_36PM.png.a21253bb2fbbc2e0c731605d5742126e.png

TP52 ORC VPP:  Then you turn the corner.

2022443923_ScreenShot2021-05-25at5_45_11PM.thumb.png.fae87c3cc1882b71426b396a0e01351b.png

In the days when sailing by the lee was fast.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, webbwash said:

They forgot to mention that it was built by Palmer Johnson's of Sturgeon Bay ---

Sailing World article said Huisman in Holland built the hull, finished in U.S. PJ did build Dora IV, later Tenacious, S&S design in aluminum.

Running Tide -- one of the best yacht names ever. I never sailed on her but racing IOR out of Annapolis 1978-81 I often was near her (at least at the starting line) and her then nemesis Cayenne. I was just out of college and to me she represented the beauty and excitement of sailing. The Washington Post ran a really nice story about her history in 1983:  The Boat. My ride at the time was Wizzard, a Yankee 38 owned by the Drew family. These pictures sure bring back memories.

Found this interesting history of Running Tide in their FB page... file:///C:/Users/willi/Desktop/running-tide-press-release-march-2021.pdf

Lots of more great pix in the FB page by Billy Black... https://www.facebook.com/Running-Tide-107751427455980/

...FC

Wow indeed.

If ever a boat screamed for a teak deck...

I know, I know - but you have to admit it would be insanely gorgeous.

On 5/26/2021 at 12:28 PM, Joe in Atl said:

Sailing World article said Huisman in Holland built the hull, finished in U.S. PJ did build Dora IV, later Tenacious, S&S design in aluminum.

+1. RT was the boat that Huisman made a name for itself as a builder of racing yachts rather than fishing boats for the local market.  

6 hours ago, eliboat said:

+1. RT was the boat that Huisman made a name for itself as a builder of racing yachts rather than fishing boats for the local market.  

And what fine race boats Wolter built in the 70s and early 80s.  Flyer, the Frers maxis Flyer II and Helisara, the Holland 51 Midnight Sun.  Just wonderful work.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, longy said:

Don't forget HUASO (became first Matador) with her fully removeable interior

And when the non-removable parts of interior were being ripped out, Wolter Huisman flew to the US from Holland with a screwdriver in his pocket.  He went to the yard, climbed aboard the boat, and unscrewed the brass builder's plaque.  When asked what he was doing, he said "This is mine," and pocketed the plaque, then pointing at the boat, "and that is yours."  He then took the waiting cab back to the airport and went home.  A great man.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Greyhound37 said:

Where is Running Tide now one week before the start of A2N? Not on Marine Traffic.

Good question.  Any Anarchists in Newport area that could go over to New England Boatworks in Portsmouth and see if Running Tide is still there?

And here is a video during sea trials a couple of weeks ago:

https://www.facebook.com/107751427455980/videos/171292378248442/?__so__=permalink&__rv__=related_videos

Interestingly, in her original state some 30 + years ago, they tried a new taller aluminum mast , the boat became very tippy and the experiment failed. Now with a carbon mast and the weight reduction in the spar, she appears to be very stable. Of course, it is sailing sans genoa.  

Running Tide pulled into Annapolis this morning after a 40 hour trip down from Newport. She is back in her old spot at Arnie Gay’s. They had 27 knots of wind and pouring rain coming down the coast. Doing 10-12 knots with a reefed main and a staysail. Nothing broke, just a few leaks. New engine runs fine. She will race to Newport in a vintage class (she is 52 years young) that allows electric winches.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Golfinaspen said:

Running Tide pulled into Annapolis this morning after a 40 hour trip down from Newport. She is back in her old spot at Arnie Gay’s. They had 27 knots of wind and pouring rain coming down the coast. Doing 10-12 knots with a reefed main and a staysail. Nothing broke, just a few leaks. New engine runs fine. She will race to Newport in a vintage class (she is 52 years young) that allows electric winches.

Good to know. I will be going over the 6th st bridge ln my morning jog so I will have a peek.

Here is RT, as from "Yachting" magazine, long ago.

600444452_1969ypcopy.thumb.jpg.86bdde336f3a2a19f76a07c6b8be1de0.jpg

I looked at Running Tide yesterday from the dock. Very impressive ole girl she is. What a mix of modern tech on the classic boat.

• Like 1