I remember a year when we had 30 Sidewinders and I was totally frustrated to be in such a tiny fleet.

there were over 100 in each of  the Star and  Thistle fleets and  45 Rhodes Bantams. Maybe it was 1971. 

EYC was a fickle place. That was the last time there were over 3 Stars or Rhodes Bantams.  Thistle attendance held up in the forties through the seventies. Fleets of MORC, Fireballs, Hobie 16, OK Dinghies, and Highlanders came and went before I moved away before 1979. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the photos. 
my shop is too swamped right now to blow off for the seven days I would need to drive-rest - sail-drive 

but 

as I haven’t won the “overall everything” cup at that regatta yet, I am determined to give it another shot.

Even if  they no longer give out that trophy I gotta go.

does Berlin Yacht Club still do an open one week before Erie?? 
if memory serves, Sandusky used to have an open “next weekend” and again the last weekend in September 

21 hours ago, Bill5 said:

Did you have a blast? How was the racing?

definitely! weather conditions were spectacular, with 16 kts of breeze on day 1 and 12 on day 2. The racing was very competitive, unfortunely I was definitely to light to be competitive on that day . Most of the guys were probably a good 30 lbs heavier! I placed better on the second day though, I had some gear issues, one of them forcing me to sail a race with one of my rudder gudgeons about to fall of! All in all, a great regatta and a awesome start to the season.

here's some pics of the pics that include me

22 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

Thanks for the photos. 
my shop is too swamped right now to blow off for the seven days I would need to drive-rest - sail-drive 

but 

as I haven’t won the “overall everything” cup at that regatta yet, I am determined to give it another shot.

Even if  they no longer give out that trophy I gotta go.

does Berlin Yacht Club still do an open one week before Erie?? 
if memory serves, Sandusky used to have an open “next weekend” and again the last weekend in September 

BYC does do a annual regatta I'm just not sure when...Sandusky I'm not sure also, though there's some junior events that I want to do there.

I don't want to give you specific advice about how to do this on the Laser, but my sincere advice for better upwind performance is to sail it flat.

Saying "those other guys are bigger" is an excuse. You can sail your boat flat! It entails getting your weight in the right place (hike -hard-), getting your sail controls adjusted properly (outhaul, downhaul, vang, bridle), and then applying the right technique (which I'm quite sure some others have better advice for). Pulling the daggerboard up a little is one way to de-power, also.

Off the top of my head, it looks like your outhaul is too loose. Your mast bend looks similar to others, but if you're lighter then you may need a little more. If this is contradicted by one of us SA'ers who races a Laser regularly, which I do not, listen to them not me!

But, flat is faster.

FB- Doug

• Like 3

If you are over powered upwind  you need to get to the max on outhaul cunningham and vang. It also looks like you could sit a bit farther forward unless it was really choppy. Board up a bit if it’s blowing the dog off the chain, but don’t think it helps a lot under 20. Pinching is real slow in chop so you need to ease the main  - but the vang must be very tight. And you have to hike your ass off. Lots of good material to read in the ILCA website.

• Like 1

so you're thinking that having 6 inches or so between blocks would have been better than block to block in those conditions?

like what this guy's got?( he won the regatta btw. )  It seemed to me like he could have used a bit more vang, but he still won the regatta...what do you think?

31D_173_14347001_2589939239_2.jpg.4eb303003f294b7ec4f6ba81202ab959.jpg

1 minute ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

so your thinking that having 6 inches between blocks would have been better than block to block in those conditions?

like what this guys got?( he won the regatta btw. )

As long as you have enough vang. Even a bit more in the gusts. 

• Like 1

good to know! learn from your mistakes! On day one, I was sailing a radial against a fleet of standards and finished second to last in both races, was this parly because of poor boatspeed or because I was sailing with a slower rig? I felt way more slow than I should have upwind...

50 minutes ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

good to know! learn from your mistakes! On day one, I was sailing a radial against a fleet of standards and finished second to last in both races, was this parly because of poor boatspeed or because I was sailing with a slower rig? I felt way more slow than I should have upwind...

Sailing with a smaller rig pretty much guarantees you will be slower - and any advantage you may have being lighter off the wind disappears. In some cases a real strong radial sailor will keep up with full rigs, but that is the exception. We start together on Thursday eves here, and the best radial guys are in the mix for a while, but usually fall back. The only way you can really measure your boat speed is against other radials. 

• Like 2

To add about the lots of vang - upwind for sure so when you ease the sheet in a big puff the sail doesn't power up. Downwind you'll need to ease the vang some (less than "two-block" tight which is minimum vang tightness for the hiking conditions shown in your pictures) but how much I don't know based on current line of thinking. 

Are there other Lasers / Radials in your local club that you can go tune with? Especially faster sailers - go out and sail against them and compare plus you're getting time in the boat. 

There are not any radial sailors at my club, but I do plan to do some local, junior Laser Radial regattas. So that should give me a chance to tune up against other radials.

BTW, that spar carrier thing that you gave me is extremely handy for transporting, I don't know what I'd do without it!

• Like 1

I’ll echo what Bill has said.  Competing in a laser when you’re not built for it is generally brutal, however, if that’s the boat you’re racing you need to do everything possible to give yourself a chance.  Your outhaul and Cunningham are far too loose in the images.  I’m 145 lbs soaking wet, and I competed with my Laser for some years when I was in transition (at the time there were lots of regattas so I could race easily without too much thinking).  Anything above 8 knots, I was already depowering, which for all Intents and purposes meant that I was depowered pretty much all the time.  I would hike until my legs gave out.  As I said, it was brutal, however I did manage to post some respectable results when the breeze was under 12 kts.  Sailing a radial was definitely easier, but it seemed my racing was split 50/50 between radial and full rig.  

On 6/8/2021 at 12:15 PM, Admiral Hornblower said:

BTW, that spar carrier thing that you gave me is extremely handy for transporting, I don't know what I'd do without it!

Great! Those carriers were built and first used in 1979!

• Like 1

Would you mind giving me your name? I'm curious who you are! I'm Dominic and was sailing the old blue hulled laser. I found ISA a few months ago, definitely tons of great info on that site!

50 minutes ago, pudge said:

@Admiral Hornblower

Nice racing with you in Erie, that's a great club and a great bay to sail in. There's some really great info here: https://learn.internationalsailingacademy.com/ 

Also, great regatta EYC!