A demented Southern Governor thinks he can regulate speech

DeSantis graduated Harvard Law he knows better. So far, Florida Republicans are against free speech, free markets, and are stridently anti-Capitalistic. It's definitely heating up in the South.

Florida on Monday became the first state to regulate how companies like Facebook, YouTube and Twitter moderate speech online, by imposing fines on social media companies that permanently bar political candidates in the state. 

The law, signed by Gov. Ron DeSantis, is a direct response to Facebook’s and Twitter’s bans of former President Donald J. Trump in January. In addition to the fines for barring candidates, it makes it illegal to prevent some news outlets from posting to their platforms in response to the contents of their stories. 

Mr. DeSantis said signing the bill, which is likely to face a constitutional challenge, meant that Floridians would be “guaranteed protection against the Silicon Valley elites.” 

“If Big Tech censors enforce rules inconsistently, to discriminate in favor of the dominant Silicon Valley ideology, they will now be held accountable,” he said in a statement. 

Read more: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/24/technology/florida-twitter-facebook-ban-politicians.html  

He's not very smart... But he does know something about..... Something. I forget what that is.

That's all I have to say about that....

Too bad I'm not the ceo of some tech company. Because I'd immediately stop my services at the border of America's wang.

Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, etc, can easily solve this problem by not allowing their services to be accessed from Floriduh. They will likely be able to solve the DeSantis problem as well, as when all those retirees can't see  precious grandbaby photos on social media, they're gonna be pissed.

Mr. Desantis definitely isn't from Greenbow, Alabama, and he doesn't know shrimp boats...

41 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

DeSantis graduated Harvard Law he knows better. So far, Florida Republicans are against free speech, free markets, and are stridently anti-Capitalistic. It's definitely heating up in the South.

Florida on Monday became the first state to regulate how companies like Facebook, YouTube and Twitter moderate speech online, by imposing fines on social media companies that permanently bar political candidates in the state. 

The law, signed by Gov. Ron DeSantis, is a direct response to Facebook’s and Twitter’s bans of former President Donald J. Trump in January. In addition to the fines for barring candidates, it makes it illegal to prevent some news outlets from posting to their platforms in response to the contents of their stories. 

Mr. DeSantis said signing the bill, which is likely to face a constitutional challenge, meant that Floridians would be “guaranteed protection against the Silicon Valley elites.” 

“If Big Tech censors enforce rules inconsistently, to discriminate in favor of the dominant Silicon Valley ideology, they will now be held accountable,” he said in a statement. 

Read more: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/24/technology/florida-twitter-facebook-ban-politicians.html  

Possibly just for show.  If I am not mistaken, the ban from FB is not "permanent", and to be revisited in a few months.

The Republicans seem to pass laws that have no chance in court to appeal to their constituents. The constituents recall the law being passed and ignore it when a court says "nuh nuh"

2 minutes ago, Zonker said:

The Republicans seem to pass laws that have no chance in court to appeal to their constituents. The constituents recall the law being passed and ignore it when a court says "nuh nuh"

Playing to the short attention span theater while giving Donnie the "I got your back" message.

15 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Possibly just for show.  If I am not mistaken, the ban from FB is not "permanent", and to be revisited in a few months.

YUp, a middle school teacher told me so it must be true. :D 

• Downvote 1

I want to know what "dominant Silicon Valley ideology" is.  Makes tons of money developing hardware and software while buying up any good technology that comes along that you didn't invent and trying to bury your competitors?  Isn't that exactly the conservative ideology?

59 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

You are correct. However,  that final review will be under intense pressure to keep the ban. Something I intend to support.

2 hours ago, Teener said:

Venom hates teachers...  shocking.

Vermin is just jealous of anyone who has intelligence.

He's like a little kid smashing toys

18 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

He's like a little kid smashing toys

I like his skepticism, but not his willful ignorance. 

And especially not his constant Both-Sidesism 

4 hours ago, Venom said:

...YUp  :D ....

what we have here is what can be considered an unapologetic moron... well done, ya fkn' right-wing shit enabler.

please close your mouth, you're merely in the way.

8 hours ago, Zonker said:

The legal system in this country has been flushed down the toilet. The books are full of stupid laws and we get more of these political PR laws every week. Regular people can’t afford to sue or defend a lawsuit. Cases take years. The courts are political and the result depends on the judge. Every conviction gets appealed a dozen times. People are in prison for pot. Thieves are let out because the prisons are full of potheads. Most of the convicted people are not white. The Supreme Court decides most landmark world shattering cases like the Heller gun case by 1 vote. Clarence fucking Thomas is on the Supreme Court. The state courts are worse. Tort law is the biggest scam going. Personal injury is half the Florida economy. 

“The rule of law”, what a joke.

Meanwhile, Desantis is doing everything he can to put Florida's cruise tourism industry in the shitter...

9 hours ago, Teener said:

He really should think about getting his DNA modified, it could only be an improvement. I hear they have a shot that will do it........

- DSK

13 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Meanwhile, Desantis is doing everything he can to put Florida's cruise tourism industry in the shitter...

more appropriate

9 hours ago, Teener said:

Likely involving me.  I am pretending he doesn't exist.  Given that his Mom did the same, he should be used to it.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:
12 hours ago, Teener said:

He really should think about getting his DNA modified, it could only be an improvement. I hear they have a shot that will do it........

His DNA didn't come from a pool, it came from a muddy hoof print.

• Like 1

The best part is that funding for defending this will be by the state, i.e. from sales tax. It won't be the Best Floridians shouldering the lion's share of it, it will be Johnny Doublewide, via Natty Ice taxes...and they'll love Captain Ron for it. 

23 minutes ago, Thistle3868 said:

What happened to the whole "I'm a private business and reserve the right to refuse service" bit.  Within the guidelines of the Civil Rights Act of course.

That's only acceptable when practiced by turbo-Christians and the folks denied are LGBTQ+ or people of color.

Bullshitters who try to use the first amendment against Twitter and Facebook should go to Disney World and stand up on Space Mountain. They have their rats after all. 

Tech Groups Sue To Stop Ron DeSantis' Assault on Online Free Speech

I'm happy as usual to see them exercise their corporate first amendment right to expre$$ themselves by suing.

Two tech industry trade groups have filed a suit to try and block Florida's new law that forbids social media companies from deplatforming political candidates, arguing it violates the First Amendment rights of platforms.

On Monday, Republican Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis signed into law S.B. 7072, which, among other things, threatens to fine platforms like Twitter or Facebook $250,000 for each day they refuse to host comments from candidates running for office.

On Thursday, NetChoice and the Computer & Communications Industry Association, two organizations that represent the interests of companies like Twitter, Facebook, and Google, teamed up to sue Florida in federal court, asking for the court to find the law unconstitutional for violating the First and 14th Amendments and to enjoin the state from enforcing the law.

Republicans like DeSantis have been attempting to bypass all these constitutional concerns by attempting to categorize social media companies as "common carriers" or virtual "town squares," meaning that such platforms merely host communications and therefore shouldn't be permitted to decide what people can talk about any more than a phone company could.

Then there's the matter that lawmakers at the very last moment carved out an exception for major companies that own theme parks, like Disney and Comcast, which both have major presences in Florida. This decision made it pretty obvious that the law's purpose is to manipulate and potentially punish certain companies Republican politicians have it in for

Robert Winterton, NetChoice's director of public affairs, tells Reason he's "confident" the courts will find in the tech industry's favor. Similar bills have been introduced or debated in other states and more are likely to come. Winterton says this is the biggest bill targeting social media moderation that has actually passed into law so far. If the courts agree that Florida's law is unconstitutional, perhaps some of these efforts will subside.

"Our hope is to disincentivize states from spending money pushing laws that are blatantly unconstitutional," Winterton says.

But I wish I could share his confidence in the result.

Is a shopping mall a "common carrier" because lots of people gather there?

The Supreme Court said yes in PruneYard v Robins back in 1980, ruling that the state could force a shopping mall to host political activists.

So if you can call a business a common carrier, lots of the freedoms enjoyed by uncommon non-carriers go away. And if "lots of people gather there" is the test, well, FB and Twitter might just be common carriers.

2 hours ago, Excoded Tom said:

Tech Groups Sue To Stop Ron DeSantis' Assault on Online Free Speech

I'm happy as usual to see them exercise their corporate first amendment right to expre$$ themselves by suing.

But I wish I could share his confidence in the result.

Is a shopping mall a "common carrier" because lots of people gather there?

The Supreme Court said yes in PruneYard v Robins back in 1980, ruling that the state could force a shopping mall to host political activists.

So if you can call a business a common carrier, lots of the freedoms enjoyed by uncommon non-carriers go away. And if "lots of people gather there" is the test, well, FB and Twitter might just be common carriers.

The tech companies can withdraw their services from Florida. That would be entertaining.

FKT

20 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

The tech companies can withdraw their services from Florida. That would be entertaining.

FKT

I am not a constitutional lawyer like the geniuses on the gun control thread.

But to me it is ridiculous to see these “originalist” judges doing contortionist yoga moves to apply a Constitution written by 18th century country gentlemen to questions like whether alleged sex offending elected officials can use wireless devices, telecoms and massively distributed cloud software to undermine their constitutional process and say stuff about lesbians.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

FKT

Or deplatform an idiot named Ron whichever is easier.

Inconveniencing Grey Power in Florida has consequences.

4 hours ago, loneshark64 said:

these “originalist” judges doing contortionist yoga moves to apply a Constitution written by 18th century country gentlemen to questions like whether alleged sex offending elected officials can use wireless devices, telecoms and massively distributed cloud software to undermine their constitutional process and say stuff about lesbians.

Those judges should be sent to remedial studies until they understand why the Constitution has an amending formula and why there have been 27 such amendments since it was "original".

They don't appear to have much or any grasp of the concept.

6 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Those judges should be sent to remedial studies until they understand why the Constitution has an amending formula and why there have been 27 such amendments since it was "original".

They don't appear to have much or any grasp of the concept.

Nor, funnily enough do nearly all the USA citizens infesting this forum. Because every time I suggest that approach to fixing things like electoral rules or repealing the 2nd Amendment, for example, there's either a deathly silence or a personal attack. None of them are willing to open that can of worms for fear of what might come of it.

Kind of funny really, the extent they'll go to just to avoid using the mechanism designed into the system.

FKT

41 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Nor, funnily enough do nearly all the USA citizens infesting this forum. Because every time I suggest that approach to fixing things like electoral rules or repealing the 2nd Amendment, for example, there's either a deathly silence or a personal attack. None of them are willing to open that can of worms for fear of what might come of it.

Kind of funny really, the extent they'll go to just to avoid using the mechanism designed into the system.

FKT

??

I've replied several times in discussions on this. We don't agree, but that doesn't mean it never happened.

- DSK

On 5/24/2021 at 10:27 PM, Zonker said:

The whole point is to create sound bites and get their base riled up.  Then they can refuse to accept election results next time around.

1 hour ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Nor, funnily enough do nearly all the USA citizens infesting this forum. Because every time I suggest that approach to fixing things like electoral rules or repealing the 2nd Amendment, for example, there's either a deathly silence or a personal attack

Because it isn't possible.  You can't do those kinds of things without bipartisan support and the republicans would never let it happen.

56 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

??

I've replied several times in discussions on this. We don't agree, but that doesn't mean it never happened.

- DSK

Yeah ok fair enough - but I still fail to see what's so damn difficult about using a mechanism that was designed in to be used.

I still think none of you want to open the worm can for fear of a result totally at odds with what you desire to happen. It does make a mockery of complaining about the SC decisions though - not that I disagree with the criticisms, mind, just the contortions undertaken to avoid biting the bullet. Adding more judges, challenging on religious Right bias grounds, they're all things you guys do to avoid taking the power over certain things away from the SC by a constitutional amendment or repeal of an existing one.

Shrug.

FKT

18 minutes ago, The_Real_XYZ said:

Because it isn't possible.  You can't do those kinds of things without bipartisan support and the republicans would never let it happen.

And so you're fucked and reduced to stacking the SC with like-minded people whenever you have the chance, and bitching when your ideological opponents do the same thing.

As I've said before.

Shrug.

FKT

It appears Cap'n Ron is at odds with the cruise industry as he won't allow them to ask for proof that people are vaccinated.  It will be interesting to see how this lucrative tourist industry matter plays out.

6 hours ago, bridhb said:

It appears Cap'n Ron is at odds with the cruise industry as he won't allow them to ask for proof that people are vaccinated.  It will be interesting to see how this lucrative tourist industry matter plays out.

I like how his team claims they can say, once a person has boarded the ship (in the terminal), they are in "international waters".

God, I hope someone takes that to court.

Federal jurisdiction. Once more, he's playing to the crowd. He's destined to have his ass handed to him in court. The cruise lines will not want any precedent that state law prevails so will fight him in court, and so will the CDC I bet. 

Seems stupid but I bet a lot of old crazy anti-vax supporters live in Florida and want to take a cruise without having to get vaccinated.

1 hour ago, Bus Driver said:

I like how his team claims they can say, once a person has boarded the ship (in the terminal), they are in "international waters".

That stance could come in handy if Marine Patrol tries to board someone...

Cap Ron is about to learn that maritime laws have been in play since Adam was a cowboy.

Given the infection disasters that preceded the Covid no cruise company is going to open themselves up to that liability, Ron might get the big fuck you we’ll load in Nassau where common sense is likely to prevail.

I’d imagine travel insurers won’t be happy either.

BTW
It’s not a cruise if it’s a one way trip.

32 minutes ago, Navig8tor said:

Cap Ron is about to learn that maritime laws have been in play since Adam was a cowboy.

Given the infection disasters that preceded the Covid no cruise company is going to open themselves up to that liability, Ron might get the big fuck you we’ll load in Nassau where common sense is likely to prevail.

I’d imagine travel insurers won’t be happy either.

BTW
It’s not a cruise if it’s a one way trip.

Yeah he really didn’t think this through in his rush to appeal to the Trumpaloons.  Those Caribbean ports of call would never let hordes of unvaxed Trumpaloons disembark. 

4 hours ago, Fakenews said:
5 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

That stance could come in handy if Marine Patrol tries to board someone...

Anyone who tries that argument will get a quick lesson in maritime law.

• 2 weeks later...

Royal Caribbean changes policy to make vaccines optional for cruise ship passengers

Royal Caribbean International on Friday announced a change in its policy, saying vaccinations against the coronavirus will be optional for cruise ship passengers.

Guests are strongly recommended to set sail fully vaccinated, if they are eligible. Those who are unvaccinated or unable to verify vaccination will be required to undergo testing and follow other protocols, which will be announced at a later date,” the company said in its announcement.

The move comes after Florida passed a law that will fine companies $5,000 each time they ask customers if they are vaccinated against the coronavirus, the Miami Herald reported.

But getting back to the original thread topic,

Ron DeSantis Is Celebrating Twitter's Ban of Rebekah Jones. His Own Big Tech Law Could Force Them To Replatform Her.

...On Monday evening, Jones announced that she's running for Congress in an attempt to unseat GOP Rep. Matt Gaetz. If she actually follows through and files papers as a candidate, then under DeSantis' law, Twitter will be obligated to host campaign messages from Jones. Because there's no exception in Florida's law for libel or defamation, Jones can then use this mandated platform to smear DeSantis as much as she wants.

Jones apparently even bragged about this in an Instagram post announcing the campaign, pointing out that Twitter will be fined daily under this law if they don't restore her account.

Jordan Kirkland at The Capitolist says Jones is misinterpreting the law because she's not a Florida resident. But Kirkland's wrong here. The part of the law that mandates that candidates be platformed does not require them to be Florida residents. The Constitution requires that Jones must live in Florida in order to represent the state in Congress, but that's it. All she needs to be covered by the antiplatform law is to be certified as a candidate. Read the bill for yourself here.

We knew all along that this bill was a complete mess, full of provisions that were bound to be used to try to force tech companies to serve as hosts for political bullying. If DeSantis ends up being its first victim, he'll have nobody to blame but himself.

The article goes on to note that she probably isn't really running, just found another way to look for attention, but it would be pretty funny if this were the first backfire of Desantis' power grab.

7 hours ago, Excoded Tom said:

In other DeSantis doing dumb stuff news,

Florida sending officers for border help in Texas, Arizona

My reaction is: if we don't need them here, fire them. If we do, don't send them to do the federal government's job.

He is just using public resources to get free publicity for his run for president in 24.  All perfectly legal for the god fearing republican.

• Like 1