Meralgia Paresthetica WTF !

Yup. That and severe bilateral polyneuropathy and demyellinating NMSO.

Some people (even Drs) say that a diet heavy on fatty fish, and high protein will help, but nothing will cure it so far.... According to my Drs.

google says:

How do you treat Meralgia Paresthetica?
For most people, the symptoms of meralgia paresthetica ease in a few months. Treatment focuses on relieving nerve compression.
Treatment
  1. Wearing looser clothing.
  2. Losing excess weight.
  3. Taking OTC pain relievers such as acetaminophen (Tylenol, others), ibruprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, others) or aspirin.
Does Meralgia Paresthetica go away?
Summary. Meralgia paresthetica involves compression of the LFC nerve, causing numbness, tingling, or pain in the skin of the outer thigh. Most cases go away on their own or with conservative treatment, such as wearing looser clothing, losing weight if a doctor advises it, and becoming more active.Dec 22, 2020

21 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

So,  another problem solved with diet and exercise. That's like a million problems in a row!

I cured mine by drinking more and not hiking out as hard!  

• Like 1

Apparently I injured myself fishing for bluefin tuna last week. I had a brand new rod belt strapped on as tight as I could possibly get it. It showed up the night I got home and it's been killing me ever since. This shit hurts bad.

15 minutes ago, Dorado said:

Apparently I injured myself fishing for bluefin tuna last week. I had a brand new rod belt strapped on as tight as I could possibly get it. It showed up the night I got home and it's been killing me ever since. This shit hurts bad.

Ok, but did you do any good fishing?

5 hours ago, Latadjust said:

Ok, but did you do any good fishing?

Got 1 little guy about 22lbs. It was shit weather out there too. Not a good trip overall.

2 hours ago, cyclone said:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/meralgia-paresthetica/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20355639

Loss of sleep will make you crazy. Ask your provider to consider Gabapentin.

Normally stay out of these threads. But, I have some personal experience with Gabapentin. For me, it really, really fucked with my head. I felt tons better without it. I was using it for post op nerve pain after a knee surgery.

WL

7 hours ago, Dorado said:

I've dealt with this for several years.  What made the biggest difference for me was a pill that the doctor prescribed that lowered retained water.  Relieved it substantially in a week.

For those who haven't dealt with this - the pain can be unblievable.  Like, truly unbelievable.  I've had kidney stones, I've had my cervical spine grow closed over the nerves to my arm so I couldn't hold a pencil, but nothing has been as painful.  Depending on the severity, there are days when I can't wear pants (literally).  I can't stand having anything touch my leg.  Phone in that pocket is a no-go.  Sleeping?  Every little while you'll get jolted awake with the feeling that someone is literally jamming a knife hilt deep in your leg.  I would literally jerk awake so hard that my wife slept on the couch for a while.

It SUCKS, and doesn't have to be related to weight.

31 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

I've dealt with this for several years.  What made the biggest difference for me was a pill that the doctor prescribed that lowered retained water.  Relieved it substantially in a week.

For those who haven't dealt with this - the pain can be unblievable.  Like, truly unbelievable.  I've had kidney stones, I've had my cervical spine grow closed over the nerves to my arm so I couldn't hold a pencil, but nothing has been as painful.  Depending on the severity, there are days when I can't wear pants (literally).  I can't stand having anything touch my leg.  Phone in that pocket is a no-go.  Sleeping?  Every little while you'll get jolted awake with the feeling that someone is literally jamming a knife hilt deep in your leg.  I would literally jerk awake so hard that my wife slept on the couch for a while.

It SUCKS, and doesn't have to be related to weight.

Did you ever get a cortisone shot?

Sorry to hear this Dorado, I hope that you don't have to suffer with this for very long.

Thanks Hobbs, but it's nothing compared to what you're dealing with. Best wishes for your rehab. You are a badass! The Comeback Kid.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Dorado said:

Did you ever get a cortisone shot?

Yeah.  It helped in the short term.  But I did get a great story about losing all feeling in my leg while I was trying to drive home.