Conditions on Lake St. Clair in early August?

Greetings Anarchists,

A friend was asking about breeze/conditions in the Grosse Pointe area of Lake St. Clair in early August? theres apparently some sort of regatta at one of the clubs there.

Best,

M@AYC 

They call it Lake Saint Stupid for a reason

It depends on the weather systems in the area, it can be glass or it can be blowing 15-20 three days later.

Plan on 5-10 from the NNW and decently lumpy, luckily by then all the fishflies will be dead and decomposed.

thanks.  when the systems come through do they hang around for a few days? or do they just suck all the breeze out and its dead after?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2021 at 11:05 AM, M@AYC said:

thanks.  when the systems come through do they hang around for a few days? or do they just suck all the breeze out and its dead after?

Depends if there's anything behind it, systems are usually out of the West, LSC is pretty shallow and surrounded by developed land so they definitely slow down

I have never sailed on that lake in  decent breeze in mid to late August.

I have sailed in light shifty tricky stuff in early August once but that was my only early august visit about 45 years ago. 
We  got all the races in. Most sailors were bitching about it being a crap shoot.

I finished top five in every race and  won in a 45 boat fleet so of course I contended it was a simply marvelous test of skill 

but… That wasn’t the important part. Michigan had a cheap wine called  Smash that came in 32 flavors. Previous to that trip, I had thought Boones farm was as bad as it could get. 
My crew went to Ferris College and she swore she actually liked the Blueberry best… she had tried them all. 
I drank Pabst that week 

On 5/26/2021 at 7:59 AM, onepointfivethumbs said:

It depends on the weather systems in the area, it can be glass or it can be blowing 15-20 three days later.

Plan on 5-10 from the NNW and decently lumpy, luckily by then all the fishflies will be dead and decomposed.

And it will be lumpy. Not due to wind but all the powerboats that will be around. Everyone in MI owns at least 1 powerboat.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2021 at 10:59 AM, onepointfivethumbs said:

That is prime Lake Saint Stupid time.

Any of the Grosse Pointe venues will also likely be extra lumpy due to jet skis and powerboats and the ever present Lakeshore Drive concrete seawall.  Best bet will be further out in the lake but then you're also dealing with more N to S current as you get further out and further south.

May the odds be ever in your favor...

St. Clair river enters in the NW, detroit river exits to the south. All of lake Huron goes through Lake St. Stupid. 

Can be 2-3k at the entrance to the river. Plus Belle Isle splits the river in 2 so the smaller channels make more current. Anchored at the start of races many times right there

LSC.png