Thinking of Buying a Snipe

I am thinking about buying a snipe to sail around the harbor in Maine.  I mostly sail lasers now, but I am looking for a boat where I could take someone for a ride, and there is a reasonably-priced snipe for sale near me.  

I was hoping someone could help me with a couple of questions.  The first is whether anyone has success keeping a snipe on a mooring in a harbor.  I have laser that I dry sail, but I am afraid that hauling a snipe up and down a ramp is going to be too much, and I don't want to deal with using a car and a trailer all the time.

My hope is that the centerboard is heavy enough. that it would sit on a mooring OK.

Anyone have thoughts about this?

Thanks,

Charlie

A dinghy can ride on a mooring just fine. The big problem with small craft on a mooring is; will rain water drain out on its own? 

Maybe you can find an old bronze 80 pound Snipe Centerboard. 
lots of folks used to leave Snipes  in the water all summer in the fifties. 

then the went went to the aluminum board 

The "deluxe dinghy" category of Harpoon 5.2, Paceship P-17, O'Day Daysailor, etc., might be the ticket here. 

3 hours ago, sevenshadow said:

I am thinking about buying a snipe to sail around the harbor in Maine.  I mostly sail lasers now, but I am looking for a boat where I could take someone for a ride, and there is a reasonably-priced snipe for sale near me.  

I was hoping someone could help me with a couple of questions.  The first is whether anyone has success keeping a snipe on a mooring in a harbor.  I have laser that I dry sail, but I am afraid that hauling a snipe up and down a ramp is going to be too much, and I don't want to deal with using a car and a trailer all the time.

My hope is that the centerboard is heavy enough. that it would sit on a mooring OK.

Thanks,

Charlie

Nice boat, and they are moored ok, but as someone said above, depending on the model they might fill with rain water (some had an open bailer) 

9 hours ago, sevenshadow said:

Thanks,

Charlie

First to directly answer your question:  Yes, a Snipe will hang off a mooring just fine. 

I had one and did exactly that when e kept the boat at home.  Would suggest you do remove all gear and especially the daggerboard as if it should capsize in severe conditions the daggerboard obviously would be lost. The boat has scuppers and will drain just fine.  All that said if you beach launch the Laser, why not beach launch the Snipe as well.  They make and we had a dolly for the Snipe and it was easy to beach launch and retrieve the boat.

Finally its a fantastic boat and fleet to race in as a husband/wife or parent/kid team.  Really good people and fun boat.

A second to Wess's suggestion about removing the daggerboard on the mooring: leaving the board down may CAUSE the boat to capsize. In shifty squalls, having the board down can prevent the boat from swinging into the wind. A new breeze catches the hull and mast broadside, and over she goes.  I have seen this happen to moored Lightnings that left their boards down. They are bigger, heavier, and harder to capsize than a Snipe. It takes some wind to make it happen, but they do have wind in Maine on occasion.  

• Like 2

Had a Snipe and raced quite a bit here in the S.E.  Don't really know about the mooring situation. The board is pretty heavy so how are you going to take it back and forth to the mooring? WITHOUT the board, the boat is very tippy so consider getting from the launch/dinghy into the boat. The Snipe is fairly narrow and a bit uncomfortable. You didn't mention racing and if you plan to " take someone for a ride " as your sailing activity, then maybe consider a true daysailer. My suggestion would be a Rhodes 19 keel version. Maybe the best daysailer ever. Don't buy the Snipe just because it is " reasonably priced ". Buy the boat that suits your sailing plans. Happy Sailing! 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, sevenshadow said:

Thanks everyone.  This is really helpful.  I appreciate it.

I took a quick look at the Maine Craigslist  - you have quite a selection of reasonably priced boats from which to choose!

Along with the Snipe, the ones that stand out to me are a Mercury (keel so that may not be desired), Flying Scot, Wayfarer, Mariner (CB version), Lightning and O'Day Daysailer. If you goal is a nice boat to go sailing and have fun without a lot of athleticism required, these are good options. You wouldn't want to beach launch any nor have to rig and ramp launch each time you go sailing but on a mooring could be good.