But it's just a damn bowling ball

Apologies to all you impatient types. This is a pretty long article about bowling ball design and construction. Nevertheless, it's interesting how the beer stained balls I'll occasionally chuck down an alley have evolved.

Enjoy, or not......

https://www.wired.com/story/one-mans-amazing-journey-to-the-center-of-the-bowling-ball/?bxid=5cc9e0c42ddf9c1a7add58ae&cndid=49422623&esrc=mobileInterstitial&source=EDT_WIR_NEWSLETTER_0_DAILY_ZZ&utm_brand=wired&utm_campaign=aud-dev&utm_mailing=WIR_Daily_052721&utm_medium=email&utm_source=nl&utm_term=list1_p4

Next we'll find out what makes a better tennis ball....

Personally, I applaud the determined effort to make the mundane more exciting.... But..... I think bowling balls are just what they are. Bowling balls.

Links like this make me nervous...  like void ho nervous.

My beer stained balls references notwithstanding.

______________________-

In other news... Just like many things, once you are an expert there are so many small nuances that get noticed and appreciated.

• Like 2

Interesting article ..

this is the one I had as a kid.

bowled a lot until late teens.. after about a 15 year hiatus 

I tried to start up again and somewhere about halfway thru the 2nd game of the night I popped 

a tendon in my hand... haven't touched a bowling ball since. 

image.jpeg.41dca7d1797302dfe6509afe288bb4c0.jpeg

19 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

Interesting article ..

this is the one I had as a kid.

bowled a lot until late teens.. after about a 15 year hiatus 

I tried to start up again and somewhere about halfway thru the 2nd game of the night I popped 

a tendon in my hand... haven't touched a bowling ball since. 

image.jpeg.41dca7d1797302dfe6509afe288bb4c0.jpeg

The last time I bowled was about 30 years ago.  I walked up the alley, I got in position, I took my steps, arm back, bending my knee, launched the ball down the alley and I felt a pain in my knee.  The next day my knee was painful and swollen.  I was in the Army at the time, went to the medical clinic where I worked in my off hours and told one of the doctors that I knew pretty well that I think I tore my cartilage in my knee.  He asked what I did to do that.  I said I was bowling, I didn't fall, no unusual movement, just normal bowling.  He said I couldn't have torn, cartilage.  I told him I had already torn the medial meniscus in each knee 2 or 3 times and I was pretty sure this was another occurrence.  He agreed to tap my knee to relieve some of the pain from the swelling and to see if there was blood in the fluid.  He jabbed a big needle into the swollen knee, drew out a good amount of bloody fluid.  I said, see there's blood, I tore my cartilage.  He said no, it was probably a traumatic tap, meaning he might have nicked a small blood vessel with the needle.  I remained skeptical.  I took it easy, the pain and swelling remained and after a couple of weeks I went to see my orthopedic surgeon at a Navy hospital.  We didn't have an Army hospital in Japan where I was stationed at the time.  A week or two later, I had an arthroscopic examination of my knee, and lo and behold, I had torn the cartilage.  When I told the doctor in our clinic that I had indeed torn my medial meniscus (the one on the inside of the knee joint) his response was, "Well, how about that!"  I am probably one of the few people that has torn a knee cartilage just from normal bowling.  About a year later I was doing our normal morning group PT and I planted my leg on the floor, foot flat as part of an exercise.  A few weeks later, another arthroscopic procedure to repair a torn medial meniscus  A few years later I was medically discharged from the Army because of my shitty knees.  I finally had both of them replaced a few years ago.  By that time I had had severe arthritis and severe pain in both knees for some years which limited my activities and interrupted my sleep often.  I think the final tally was 5 or 6 medial meniscus tears in each knee over about 35 years.  Not a single one was from any kind of obvious, severe trauma.

I always sucked at bowling so giving it up wasn't a big deal.  I think my all time high game was around 155.  I was always happy just to break 100.

Next time I'll tell you how I told both an ER doctor and my family doctor that I had a pneumothorax (collapsed lung) as I had had it happen twice before and they both told me that I didn't have a pneumothorax.  A week later I was in the hospital to have the piece of my lung that kept popping open removed.  At least I got an apology from both those those doctors, and my family doctor treat my concerns more seriously now.  

I really wish doctors would listen to their patients and take their concerns seriously.  Especially ones like me that have a good amount of experience in the medical business and no history of seeking medical care for no good reason or imaginary illnesses.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

I really wish doctors would listen to their patients and take their concerns seriously.  Especially ones like me that have a good amount of experience in the medical business and no history of seeking medical care for no good reason or imaginary illnesses.

Sadly a case of the few ruining things for the many yet again.

Someone here very recently said something like once you reach 50, you should know very well what is going on in/on your body.  (last few days it was posted somewhere here)

I really liked that comment, whoever you are.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

redboat, thanks for the link..interesting article. I know just enough about the technology to know that the core in my bowling ball isn't round.

I have been a sailor since I was an infant, but until high school, I probably bowled more than I sailed growing up.

I finally gave up on it about 10-12 years because our league went until 11PM and it was affecting my work the next day. To compensate, me and my bowling buddies just went to Happy Hour after work, and made it home by dinner time. Then a couple years later, the alley closed down. We still do Happy Hour on Tuesdays. :)

I miss the bowling a little bit..the highest average I carried was about 183-4, and my best game was a 299. Still have not gotten that elusive, perfect 300.

• 1 month later...
On 5/27/2021 at 6:09 PM, Mrleft8 said:

Next we'll find out what makes a better tennis ball....

Personally, I applaud the determined effort to make the mundane more exciting.... But..... I think bowling balls are just what they are. Bowling balls.

I think it depends on how good you are (only having bowled once in my life and managed to hit my ankle while hurling the ball down the alley with youthful macho stupidity). I bought a box (12 balls) of Callaway super something or other golf balls for $50. Then I bought a box of Titleist something or other balls for $18. I don’t hit the Calloways any better, straighter or further than the others. That’s because my golf skills so far are just a little above “wow…..you really suck at golf”. It’s either hype or…..you have to be at certain level to experience the small differences in equipment. Based on my experience in other sports I don’t suck at…..I think it’s the latter.

There's a story about a bowling ball, a VW Bug, 60 MPH and a T- intersection with a large plate glass store front at the end..... In 1977. Good brakes and a sleepy little town were also involved. I still feel guilty about that, even though I wasn't driving, or holding, nor releasing the 16Lb. bowling ball..... I may have supplied the Colombian weed that made it all possible, but I don't really remember.....