Turns out our Scout is a legit boat dog. We visit for a month’s vacation in northern Michigan and she keeps surprising me with her comfort in water and on the boats each year. 

This year she discovered fish along with her big sister aboard the Lowe Fishing Machine 165;) 

FFA4CDA5-78A0-4F50-A810-2EB3E072D6B5.jpeg

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Fisher said:

Turns out our Scout is a legit boat dog. We visit for a month’s vacation in northern Michigan and she keeps surprising me with her comfort in water and on the boats each year. 

This year she discovered fish along with her big sister aboard the Lowe Fishing Machine 165;) 

FFA4CDA5-78A0-4F50-A810-2EB3E072D6B5.jpeg

What beauty she is!  

Sometimes terriers are the best of both, dogs and cats.

We watch others struggle getting larger dogs to shore, morning,evening, especially in foul weather. 

Like home, their territory is just outside the ‘back door’ - cockpit, and that’s where they draw their line.

Plus the smaller female ‘marks’ first. Then In typical Weinstein fashion, the larger male pees on her mark, guaranteed.

this all happens just inside the toe rail. I follow with a splash of fresh water from a gallon jug also on deck(fills water bowl too).

It all (not much) sluices down the sheer to 2 tiny bronze deck drains that exit below the water line.

and that concludes my evening dog walk, so appreciated in this wet weather.

then a sit by the ‘fire’ , assured our perimeter is well protected, before turning in.

8A882A83-C587-466D-B448-44AB733424FB.thumb.jpeg.ec9368e5adecb62fc34353a5c0d2a226.jpeg

4 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

Sometimes terriers are the best of both, dogs and cats.

We watch others struggle getting larger dogs to shore, morning,evening, especially in foul weather. 

Like home, their territory is just outside the ‘back door’ - cockpit, and that’s where they draw their line.

Yup, cat-dogs (Spaniels in my case) are the best. Easy to get on and off the boat and...they can be trained to guard your beer!43338080_2017-08-0714_15_03.thumb.jpg.305ff669fa7d5026c35f77ec106a4bb8.jpg

1 minute ago, Max Rockatansky said:

It’s 106F heat index, and the cats are dead. They get up, eat or whatever, and return to this state.

309AC253-8759-418E-8A93-1C2205A38C72.jpeg

29B4F87E-A034-4028-B8F0-5B6784A62C53.jpeg

Poor things, they'll get heatstroke. You should shave them, they would appreciate that.

AAI_Post_Are-all-Iranians-hairy_E47-2-10

15 hours ago, Panope said:

Always wanted a scruffy little boat dog.  He is happy aboard the skiff.  Fingers crossed he does not freak out when aboard Panope.

<4 month old Russell Terrier "Patches".

4b3y8ZV.png

x29nFWw.png

Awwwwwww!

• 3 weeks later...

So, one of this week’s tasks has been trying to get the Beastie Boy used to the dinghy.  I think it’s going to eventually be OK, although for the moment it’s pretty difficult to operate a small boat with a big, nervous, damp dog hugging one all the time.  His claws totally perforated the bow bag on his big leap back onto the mother ship.  Surely he can’t do that to the PVC.   Right?….

As far as I can see, she doesn’t previously appear in this thread.  Back in my cowledge days, I somehow miraculously accumulated enough seniority to get in on crew for PE.  Great fun and sorely missed this last 40 years.  There was this old gray stray cat that lived in the old barn that the crew had to use.  Named George (née Pocock).  Doted on by all the kids, of course.  Just as we were pulling out onto the river at dawn in our clammy cotton sweats, George would leap gracefully aboard and make her way to the prow.  She always returned soaking wet. (As did we all.) Not stupid - she preferred the freshman barge.  More stable and more worshipers.  But she would Not Be Left Behind.  She’d go out on a wobbly single, if that’s all that was going out.  

On 7/31/2021 at 11:28 AM, Max Rockatansky said:

And I can’t help wondering why dog owners feel the need to denigrate cat owners.

Here’s back at you: what sort of masochism does it take to live with a large dumb slave who smells bad and won’t get out of your face?

I dunno, I'll ask my cat.

• Like 2