California Offshore Race week

It is surprising there is not more activity considering this is the premier event for offshore sailing on the west coast. I see only one Santa Barbara YC boat is entered in the So-Cal 300. What’s up with that? 

46 minutes ago, Borracho said:

Monterey to Santa Barbara start at noon today. Rut-Roh. Maybe pack some more food and water:

Screen Shot 2021-05-31 at 09.36.14.png

Not a pretty picture.

Driving up 101 from SB, overcast is heavy, way inland  and not burning off yet and its 230PM. The Pacific looks pacific off Pismo Beach.

There were some cool race boats in SB harbor yesterday, out practicing today,  waiting for the 300 miles of fun

18 hours ago, Nick G said:

It is surprising there is not more activity considering this is the premier event for offshore sailing on the west coast. I see only one Santa Barbara YC boat is entered in the So-Cal 300. What’s up with that? 

Not many SB boats travel……even the King Harbor race typically only has a couple of SB boats entered and it starts in SB……

Incredibly slow speeds this morning on the Coastal Cup Race with the leaders making just 0515 Spinnaker Cup 2021 7 knots copy.jpg7knots. That SSE flow might have something to do with it. Brutal. 

Coastal Cup wind direction.jpg

18 hours ago, Latadjust said:

There were some cool race boats in SB harbor yesterday, out practicing today,  waiting for the 300 miles of fun

It looks hurtful on the tracker right now. On the nose until you get around Conception.
Forecast looks like just average sailing barely. No epic speeds this year.

2 hours ago, Timur said:

and who said watching sailing is akin to watching grass grow as a spectator sport?!

I thought everybody said that

4 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

Not looking to promising for SoCal 300 either.

socal300.JPG

Yesterday here in Ventura it was pretty much dead outside. a nice little wind near the shore for day sailing was present. Today looks much the same.
direction was SSW

30 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

It looks hurtful on the tracker right now. On the nose until you get around Conception.
Forecast looks like just average sailing barely. No epic speeds this year.

I thought everybody said that

Well, ya, for this particular race, growing grass just called, they say sailing is giving them a bad name!

• Like 1

Yeah it is looking like a 2 day race on the J125. 11 hours to Santa Cruz then teens out and down to Tanner with a bit of Build to high teens at the end. Then getting in is looking especially tricky.

3 hours ago, notme said:

Yeah it is looking like a 2 day race on the J125. 11 hours to Santa Cruz then teens out and down to Tanner with a bit of Build to high teens at the end. Then getting in is looking especially tricky.

Took us just under 48 hours in ‘18 on the Summit 40.  Beat all the J-125’s because  of the park up.  

31 hours on the Andrews 40 in ‘19.  Looks to be about the same this year on a bigger boat!

Damn, boats still racing and quite a distance from the finish. Sometimes getting into SB can be slow.

I wonder if they have a time limit on the Coatal Cup? The 300 is supposed to start tomorrow and trophies on Saturday. Might need a schedule adjustment.

5 hours ago, saltyhotel said:

Boats that have not finished by 1600 PDT on Wednesday, June 2, 2021, shall be scored DNF.

Right now Spindrift an Express 37 has 5.8miles to go and is doing 6.6knts. It looks as though he is heading toward the harbor, not the finish coordinates.
Bummer to sail so far and not make the TL.

Only 6 boats finished the Coastal Cup. I'm sure the OA never expected that. But the So Cal 300 starts in about 1.5hr in Santa Barbara.

SBYC used to have a web cam off their upper deck so people could watch the action. It's ashamed the OA or the YC's involved are not giving people at least a partial view of the race live. So much of Marketing.

But here is a live view of the wind readings along the course from SF
https://www.sailflow.com/en-us/Search/ViewResults.aspx#33.696,-118.827,8,1

The wind inside seems to be picking up but offshore it looks grim. Click on San Nichols Island and go to the forecast. I hope the racers get along in the first 12 hrs because after that it looks like a damp and light sail.

35 minutes ago, full circle said:

is there a delay on the tracker, and if yes, how long? i cannot find the answer.

forecast looks grim for sure.

Make sure you have the SoCal 300 selected from the drop down when viewing the tracker. My view shows boats out of the harbor. Start is a 1255 so there is still time.

I'm sure at some point after the start they will put a delay on the tracker. But at the start I do not see the point of a delay.

I am a little surprised that there is not a bigger push to live start line footage through Facebook or YouTube. I see it from SORC all the time. Even the High School Match Race Nationals had live coverage. It isn't like it is difficult to do. What do you think the hurdle that is stopping this from happening more?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, DryArmour said:

I am a little surprised that there is not a bigger push to live start line footage through Facebook or YouTube. I see it from SORC all the time. Even the High School Match Race Nationals had live coverage. It isn't like it is difficult to do. What do you think the hurdle that is stopping this from happening more?

Exactly Mark, these guys or girls don't seem to understand. They could have done it Live on FB with a phone. The hurdle is no one really cares except us.

Anyway here they are around 5pm in the Santa Rosa Channel all bunched up. It took 4 hours to get this far. It does not look good for the night.
So Cal is back to it's light air reputation.

87010712_2021-06-03(4).thumb.png.b0fb871a386f4c0b641572c66280e206.png

5 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

Exactly Mark, these guys or girls don't seem to understand. They could have done it Live on FB with a phone. The hurdle is no one really cares except us.

Anyway here they are around 5pm in the Santa Rosa Channel all bunched up. It took 4 hours to get this far. It does not look good for the night.
So Cal is back to it's light air reputation.

87010712_2021-06-03(4).thumb.png.b0fb871a386f4c0b641572c66280e206.png

What's going on with all those boats pointed the wrong way?

12 hours ago, Irrational 14 said:

Slow Cal 300.

No kidding...and about to get slower. Stand by for a bit of a park up just east of Tanner Bank Buoy :-).

18 hours ago, DryArmour said:

What do you think the hurdle that is stopping this from happening more?

14 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

The hurdle is no one really cares except us.

Yes that is the hurdle, anyone who is actually present with the equipment to do this has no interest in doing it.

And even better, if someone actually did it, you can pretty much guarantee that the primary thanks they would get would be a bunch of comments about how much better it could have been done.

I salute all the participants and volunteers who chose to experience the event rather than provide an armchair experience for those of us who didn't make it out sailing today.

And yes I'm jealous, they may be sitting around drifting and waiting for wind, but I'm not sailing today, which sucks worse.

Too bad we can’t average things out a bit. Gale is building in NorCal waters, Farallones race tomorrow...

32 minutes ago, IMR said:

looks like a drift off until at least tomorrow mid morning.  

OMFG, They are right center of the eddy and in the slowest wind. The lead boats are doing 1 knt. I just looked at the forecast and it appears that it is following their direction. I think this may be a nonevent, though I could not find  a time limit in the SI.

I remember doing the MDR and Ensenada races many times in this shit, way way back.

So Cal rears it's ugly light air weather for the big guns.

• Like 1

Looks like many boats are dropping out. I see ome doing 2 knts and others doing 7+.

I wish the OA would post something on the website. Unless of course they are drunk at the bar laughing their asses off, or maybe banging all the wive's. LOL

Sailing sucks

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Irrational 14 said:

I see 2 boats in class A that jibed inside the last turning mark before SD. Hmmm.

Somebody got some explaining to do. 

Is that mark the weather buoy? Those can have a huge — several miles — watch circle within which they drift. Also makes them very hard to find in the fog. A good naviguessor will look up the current GPS coordinates on the NWS website before starting the race.

12 minutes ago, Borracho said:

Is that mark the weather buoy? Those can have a huge — several miles — watch circle within which they drift. Also makes them very hard to find in the fog. A good naviguessor will look up the current GPS coordinates on the NWS website before starting the race.

Tanner Bank buoy swings on a .7 mile arc and yes, in heavy fog it can be a bugger to find. 

Boats that are sailing are doing less than 3 knts or less. I hope the brought lots of Granola bars.

• Peligraso  2.1 knts
  • Fast Exit 5.1 maybe in a puff or just quit
  • Zero Gravity .7
  • Artemis 2.1

2021-06-05.thumb.png.98702ea09d353fc78fdb46a2b9f09a83.png

Did this series in 2019.  Some of the most fun and competitive coastal racing I have done, though this year looks very different. I was hoping to get back again, but Covid travel restrictions and work made it impossible. 

Hopefully sometime in the future. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Potter said:

Did this series in 2019.  Some of the most fun and competitive coastal racing I have done, though this year looks very different. I was hoping to get back again, but Covid travel restrictions and work made it impossible. 

Looks like the lead group got some better wind as the big guns are doing 7knts.
The second group though are still doing 2 knts.

9 hours ago, Potter said:

We missed the two of you!

Costal cup was (thankfully) not as exciting as the last one.

I really enjoyed it though, the Big Sur coast was really a treat to see up close and we also had incredible bio luminescence as we drifted into the finish. There were huge bait balls exploding like fireworks as pods of dolphins torpedoed into them. Not the conditions I'd hoped for, but still a great trip. 

I had to leave back to work before the 300, but the boat also bailed and just did an overnight delivery to LB instead. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Borracho said:

Well that’s 52 hours I won’t get back!  The weather buoy is actually not a mark of the course given its potential swing arc. There is a virtual waypoint instead. This is the first time I’ve ever seen the weather bouy. Normally it’s very dark!

0F948AA1-0BF1-4674-AFBD-346F53A76CD8.jpeg

945C94CF-2B6A-469A-BB2A-4231CDF49ABD.jpeg

C4783FBC-46AC-4B5F-ADD0-9A9D2D6B4A8A.jpeg

B8148156-7476-4384-B24B-98C409122AF5.jpeg

• Like 1

Congratulations to NALU V who finished @ 3PM Sunday afternoon after over 3 days on the course and DFL, but won the race. A great example of sticktoitiveness.

Incredible to see ALL of ORR B retired. Those are some big, fast & slick boats. (IMHO)

It was a hell of a slog...once we parked up with the rest of D and E ~30 miles past the offshore mark we called it and motored to SD (glad we brought extra fuel) which brought us through the division C and B parking lots. It pretty much all looked like this from until we were within 30 miles of SD at mid-day.

71F7878C-E880-4D1C-ACCC-B12B2B570DD1.thumb.JPG.13e8aab674f91e4c767d11d0ea8e932c.JPG

Great for whale watching, useless for sailing

1 minute ago, Alberta said:

It was a hell of a slog...once we parked up with the rest of D and E ~30 miles past the offshore mark we called it and motored to SD (glad we brought extra fuel) which brought us through the division C and B parking lots. It pretty much all looked like this from until we were within 30 miles of SD at mid-day.

71F7878C-E880-4D1C-ACCC-B12B2B570DD1.thumb.JPG.13e8aab674f91e4c767d11d0ea8e932c.JPG

Great for whale watching, useless for sailing

looks like they paved paradise and put in a parking lot

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

looks like they paved paradise and put in a parking lot

Chris, the image at the end is one reason why when the OA intends the event to be sailed for the PRO boats, the should absolutely have provisions to wait for a better day, at least within a 2 week period. After all they are PRO boats where the owners want the value they are paying for.

Here is an image of the wind today 6/9 at 1800. Our local club has cancelled our Wet Wednesday because it is blowing 20-23 W/gusts. The issue is the volunteers on the Crappy RC boat, which I understand. But PRO Boats owned by rich guys..........................

Hell they could have raced yesterday. Sailing needs to be more like the Mavericks surf contest........................Hey guys, the front is approaching
Marketing Marketing Marketing

2021-06-09.thumb.png.3a16cbf49193cbf4dce1f16d54b702e8.png

15 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

Chris, the image at the end is one reason why when the OA intends the event to be sailed for the PRO boats, the should absolutely have provisions to wait for a better day, at least within a 2 week period. After all they are PRO boats where the owners want the value they are paying for.

Here is an image of the wind today 6/9 at 1800. Our local club has cancelled our Wet Wednesday because it is blowing 20-23 W/gusts. The issue is the volunteers on the Crappy RC boat, which I understand. But PRO Boats owned by rich guys..........................

Hell they could have raced yesterday. Sailing needs to be more like the Mavericks surf contest........................Hey guys, the front is approaching
Marketing Marketing Marketing

But if they do that they are catering to the bigger boats and basically telling the slower boats that the OA is going to wait until the slower boats have no chance to win. I just can't see anybody entering a race knowing that the start was going to be manipulated against them.

I mean, why not wait for a weather window with no wind and cater to the slower boats?

2 hours ago, Parma said:

I mean, why not wait for a weather window with no wind and cater to the slower boats?

Even slow boats want to go fast.

If the OA wants to give slow boats a chance, Classes should also consider Performance factors such as, SA/Disp, wetted surface, hull shape. Even using PHRF Ratings, which they usually use for slower boats, the OA can divide the fleet in this way. I have heard that in the Yachting Cup in SD they do this but that is a regatta.