I’ve always liked G&T’s but I found some really good gin recently 

my go to has been Porters modern dry gin 

but yesterday I got a bottle of 

9A9D3AED-103A-4A0B-BE07-F3B4C58F544D.thumb.jpeg.109fd04b034af51b609214666c1c4124.jpeg

Pretty fucking good. 
don’t ask me how to rotate the pic ...

• Like 1

I’ve always been a beefeater fan. With a little lemon instead of lime. Delicious. 

recently I put a half a shot of lemoncello into a G&T. What a flavor kick that was. 

• Like 4

Beefeaters great in most mixes

fever tree tonic

hendricks is really nice

been to a few gin bars in UK/Ireland that paired different tonics with different gins and paired with different fruits and berries. Amazing how mixers and fruit change taste of drink

• Like 1

I've always enjoyed Bombay, or Boodles with Schwepp's..... Never Canada Dry. I'll try the Fever tree. I enjoy their ginger beer.

The lime is un necessary, and can detract from the drink. A good snoot full of Juniper berries doesn't need no limes.

Current choice of SWMBO is Bombay gin, Fever Tree tonic, ice, lime. Mention cucumber and you will be killed, dead.

Preferably in good sunshine.

If she specified rain instead of sun she’d be more easily pleasable but, hey, there you go.

• Like 1

I like Dunkirk Spirit, made here in Mountain View CA by some ex-pat Brits.  Paired with Fever Tree tonic (not the diet version), and a slice of lemon (never lime), what's not to like?

Dunkirk Spirit Ultra Premium Gin 750ml – Mission Wine & Spirits

I had Plymouth gin once. It was nice. Very nice. But pricey.

10 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

I had Plymouth gin once. It was nice. Very nice. But pricey.

Plymouth gin is served in the officers' wardroom of Royal Navy ships with Angostura bitters and a splash of water.  A Pink Gin.

The only question the steward will ask is "In or out, sir?" 

"In" means the splash of bitters is kept in the glass and then the gin added, "Out" means the bitters are swirled round and tipped out before adding the gin.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, view at the front said:

A similar thread several years ago digressed into the virtues of home-made tonic.

Yeah, because the whole point of a G&T isn't the gin, or the lime, or the shape of the ice, or the glass, or the simple syrup ... it's the quinine. The quinine is the whole reason that whole beautiful heaven-sent cocktail was invented.

Even Fever Tree tastes good, but even with that, there is barely any quinine in it. They claim to use "Pharmaceutical Grade quinine" but as far as I know, all quinine added to Tonic waters are pharma grade.

And now, it's essentially impossible to get quinine powder, and the current state of G&T is that they are too sweet, nowhere near bitter enough, they've turned into something else.

But there are two workarounds ...

1. Evaporate commercial tonic waters to increase the quinine content. The problem with this though is that I don't know of a way to remove all that sugar.
  2. Make a fake quinine tonic using aspirin powders rather than quinine. This is the one I use. I get the BC Aspirin powders, and it's one powder packet per G&T.
    1251762190_ScreenShot2021-05-30at12_55_37PM.png.36669168bc4b4d2353ae6dc4bdf337ac.png

The taste is so much more bitter and so much less sweet than even Fever Tree. And I'm told that the aspirin powder has a flavor almost identical to quinine, they're even produced similarly, but from different trees.

I don't make it too complicated, just a regular simple syrup, and either club soda or seltzer, they both work, but the club soda sometimes adds a bit too much flavor to compete with the aspirin powder bitters. One thing though, the aspirin powders can take a while to dissolve cold. I add them to the simple syrup while it's still warm, and then shake it to dissolve. I tend to make enough simple syrup for 6 G&Ts, and then add all 6 aspirin powders.

You will never get one of these as a bar in most states, because bars in most states aren't allowed to mix things like aspirins or magnesium powders in with alcoholic beverages. But I have a workaround for that too ... when I order a G&T in a bar, I just dump one of the BC Aspirin powders into the cocktail and mix it in. Pretty dang close!

Off topic, us burns surgeons treat toxic epidermal necrolysis or Lowell’s syndrome. Severe allergic reaction where skin lifts off epidermal junction like a second degree burn. 30% mortality. Lowell described it in British living in Africa from the quinine in G&Ts used to fend off malarial 

6 minutes ago, burndoc said:

Off topic, us burns surgeons treat toxic epidermal necrolysis or Lowell’s syndrome. Severe allergic reaction where skin lifts off epidermal junction like a second degree burn. 30% mortality. Lowell described it in British living in Africa from the quinine in G&Ts used to fend off malarial 

The quinine burns people to death? I can see why, I get a lovely high off the quinine, if I lived in a time where the stuff was freely available, I would probably drink to no end too.

Drink too much quinine, skin burns, drink more gin to take away the pain, repeat cycle? Man, what a glorious way to go ...

• Like 1
4 hours ago, view at the front said:

A similar thread several years ago digressed into the virtues of home-made tonic.

One of the biggest "boutique" gin manufacturers in Australia started out planning on making a premium Tonic but then decided that its easier to make the Gin

Bombay, Schweppes, ice. No fruit.

Recently I met a woman who was enthusing about rhubarb gin, with "hints of elderflower". It made her instantly unattractive.

Rhubarb?

Sorry, no second date..... Not experimental fuck. Just no. Not in any alternate universe even. (Well maybe one experimental fuck, but if my dick rotted off from Rhubarb poisoning, there'd be hell to pay.)

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Happy said:

Recently I met a woman who was enthusing about rhubarb gin, with "hints of elderflower". It made her instantly unattractive.

I hessitatte to believe you...........                       :)

Must confess to letting my standards slip......

I used to have an ironclad rule about drinking G&T, in the tropics, in the afternoon: wear a white panama hat. Have a cutting board for limes, and a minimum 9" Bowie knife.

Lost the hat and the knife years ago and haven't bothered getting another. Also no longer use fruit.

52 minutes ago, sunseeker said:

If you go a friends house and they have some grocery store brand diet tonic, are they really a friend?

Diet tonic is like..... Not even as good as phone sex.

If you're going to do it. do it right.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

One of the biggest "boutique" gin manufacturers in Australia started out planning on making a premium Tonic but then decided that its easier to make the Gin

Yup, if it's like the USA, they couldn't get and ration the quinine without major pharma licenses and certifications. Distilling booze is easier, it just needs to be licensed through the State and county.

14 hours ago, dacapo said:

Pretty fucking good. 

I don't know why the forum software rotates the pics.  Pain in the ass.

Gin.jpg

• Like 1
7 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

Also easier to switch to producing hand sanitizer....

Hang on, a great marketing idea: a complimentary tube of juniper-flavored hand sanitizer with every bottle of our gin! In an emergency you can drink it.

I like to keep an assortment of gin around.  Different gin for different moods.  I can't stand the taste of Hendricks, I like cucumbers but not in my gin.  Bombay Sapphire is my got to for a G&T, with a slice of lime.  For a very dry Martini (shaken not stirred) I like Beefeaters, partly because when I started to drink gin many, many years ago there wasn't the variety available that there is today.  The traditional, in your face juniper berry taste of Beefeaters is very manly.  Mary, the bartender at a local bar where I went to college would mix me a Beefeater Martini.  She would pour some dry Martini vermouth in a shaker full of ice.  She would shake up the vermouth and drain the shaker.  Then she would pour in the gin and shake that up and pour it into a chilled Martini glass.  Very nice.  I had a bit of a crush on Mary, she had a deep smoky voice and honey blond hair.  I got up my nerve, bought a rose and went to her apartment.  I knocked on the door and stood there waiting with the rose in my hand.  Her boyfriend answered the door.  Very awkward situation.  Sigh.

This Japanese gin from Suntory is quite nice.  It's flavored with green tea and cherry blossoms among other things.  

Gin Roku 0,7l SmaczaJama.pl

Here is what is in my liquor cabinet currently.

Gin3.jpg

Tassie is full of boutique distillers. Sheep’s whey gin, kelp gin, you name it....

https://hartshorndistillery.com.au

https://southernwilddistillery.com/gin/

Next summer, some yachties in King George Sound are talking of organising a Norfolk Bay Distillery Crawl. Sail around to Dunalley Beach, come ashore James Bond style, then down to Impression Bay. Might fill in the rest of the day with a visit to Norfolk Bay and Saltwater River wineries....

https://dunalleybaydistillery.com.au/

https://impressionbay.com.au/pages/home

https://saltwaterriverwines.com.au/gallery

Life is tough down here.....

I was given a birthday bottle of Roku a while back. I drank it, but every glass made me wish she'd just bought the Bombay that I asked for.

A beautiful bottle, a superb artistic label, a bit pricey, but I didn't like it at all.

I used to be against flavoured gins but actually some are really good. I was given 3 of these as a Christmas present and I'll definitely get some more

https://threewrensgin.com

The apple crumble is really good (and does indeed taste of apple crumble!).

Having said all that, you can't beat a good Bombay Sapphire.

1 hour ago, Navig8tor said:

He said after finishing the bottle and then whining about it…………

I don't know about you, but when I get a free bottle of gin, even if it's not to my taste, I'm not throwing it out. Especially when it was a present from my SIL, who lives on the same property, and kept asking how I liked it. "Well, it's a beautiful bottle........the taste is definitely different...I might try mixing it with cranberry juice...."

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

I've always enjoyed Bombay, or Boodles with Schwepp's..... Never Canada Dry. I'll try the Fever tree. I enjoy their ginger beer.

The lime is un necessary, and can detract from the drink. A good snoot full of Juniper berries doesn't need no limes.

fever tree Indian tonic or their citrus tonic   excellent 

4 hours ago, The Main Man said:

I used to be against flavoured gins but actually some are really good. I was given 3 of these as a Christmas present and I'll definitely get some more

https://threewrensgin.com

The apple crumble is really good (and does indeed taste of apple crumble!).

Having said all that, you can't beat a good Bombay Sapphire.

Not to be an alcohol pedant but all gin is flavored.  Some people might disagree but essentially, without getting deep in the weeds, gin is flavored vodka.  

Vodka can be made from anything that will ferment although grain is the most common base for it.  The mash is distilled usually until it is almost pure alcohol (neutral spirits) and then filtered and water added to bring it down to typically 40% alcohol.  Most vodkas and gins are made from neutral spirit.  Neutral spirit is named as such because it is almost pure ethanol and has no flavor, hence the name 'neutral'.  Repeated distillation necessary to achieve the highest ethanol percentage removes almost all impurities and therefore all flavors.  Some vodkas are made with only one distillation which imparts a small amount of flavor from whatever was used to ferment into alcohol.

Originally gin was created with juniper berries being the primary flavoring ingredient supplemented with other botanicals and spices.  The flavorings can be added to the fermented wort and distilled all together, the flavorings can be added to neutral spirit and redistilled, or the flavorings can be added or compounded with the distilled neutral spirit.  To legally be called gin, the product must be distilled and infused with juniper berry.  Every gin maker has their own secret blend of other botanicals and spices.

What is sold as 'flavored gin' is still gin, it might use less juniper berry and is made with fruit, berries and non traditional spices that aren't used in traditional gins.

Then there are gin liqueurs which are not really gin.  They usually have a high sugar content making them thick and syrupy, and they use much less juniper berry.  Those of a certain age might remember sloe gin, a drink favored by the girls back in my youth.  Sloe gin is a gin liqueur.  Gin liqueurs are usually between 20-30% alcohol vs the 40% of true gin. 

45 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Not to be an alcohol pedant but all gin is flavored.  Some people might disagree but essentially, without getting deep in the weeds, gin is flavored vodka.  

Vodka can be made from anything that will ferment although grain is the most common base for it.  The mash is distilled usually until it is almost pure alcohol (neutral spirits) and then filtered and water added to bring it down to typically 40% alcohol.  Most vodkas and gins are made from neutral spirit.  Neutral spirit is named as such because it is almost pure ethanol and has no flavor, hence the name 'neutral'.  Repeated distillation necessary to achieve the highest ethanol percentage removes almost all impurities and therefore all flavors.  Some vodkas are made with only one distillation which imparts a small amount of flavor from whatever was used to ferment into alcohol.

Originally gin was created with juniper berries being the primary flavoring ingredient supplemented with other botanicals and spices.  The flavorings can be added to the fermented wort and distilled all together, the flavorings can be added to neutral spirit and redistilled, or the flavorings can be added or compounded with the distilled neutral spirit.  To legally be called gin, the product must be distilled and infused with juniper berry.  Every gin maker has their own secret blend of other botanicals and spices.

What is sold as 'flavored gin' is still gin, it might use less juniper berry and is made with fruit, berries and non traditional spices that aren't used in traditional gins.

Then there are gin liqueurs which are not really gin.  They usually have a high sugar content making them thick and syrupy, and they use much less juniper berry.  Those of a certain age might remember sloe gin, a drink favored by the girls back in my youth.  Sloe gin is a gin liqueur.  Gin liqueurs are usually between 20-30% alcohol vs the 40% of true gin. 

There is a German juniper liquor which is very strong, and has an intense juniper flavor. It is commonly used as a "Digestiff". I found that it is wonderful to add to a seared duck breast with a raspberry red wine reduction. I can't recall the name, but it comes in what looks like a brown clay bottle.

Went on keto for a bit,  tried diet tonic. The "good" news? It's perfect if you want to stop drinking,  because the tonic tastes so crappy that you can't taste the gin so you dont bother to waste it.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Latadjust said:

Went on keto for a bit,  tried diet tonic. The "good" news? It's perfect if you want to stop drinking,  because the tonic tastes so crappy that you can't taste the gin so you dont bother to waste it.

Yes, diet tonic is awful.

• Like 1

Gin is an unbelievably diverse spirit. It’s so varied depending on the botanicals and the proportions that you can wander almost endlessly. Really have been leaning on Bombay Sapphire for some time but recently have been really enjoying Nolets Silver and the Botanist. Of course the tonic is critical. Fever Tree or Q are quite good and easy to find.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

There is a German juniper liquor which is very strong, and has an intense juniper flavor. It is commonly used as a "Digestiff". I found that it is wonderful to add to a seared duck breast with a raspberry red wine reduction. I can't recall the name, but it comes in what looks like a brown clay bottle.

"Steinhaeger"

image.jpeg.bbe7707f123e7a3d285de19d024043e0.jpeg

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

3 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

"Steinhaeger"

image.jpeg.bbe7707f123e7a3d285de19d024043e0.jpeg

I've heard of it but I never tried it.  I lived in Germany for a total of 11 years but I stuck to predominantly beer and wine, gin and Scotch. German alcohol can get pretty weird, pretty fast after the basics.  I did like a raspberry schnapps called Himbeergiest, or raspberry spirit.  It tasted nicely of raspberry and then you felt the kick of the alcohol.

I do like using PIMM's to make a Pimms cup or mix with ginger ale. A little different

16 hours ago, Happy said:

Also easier to switch to producing hand sanitizer....

Hang on, a great marketing idea: a complimentary tube of juniper-flavored hand sanitizer with every bottle of our gin! In an emergency you can drink it.

Bass and Flinders did almost that exact promotion in April last year.  We still have some of the hand sanitizer.  

27 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

Green hat navy strength gin

https://theginisin.com/gin-reviews/green-hat-navy-strength/

Schweppes   works fine , and try using grapefruit, instead of lime...

If it's true "Navy Strength" gin then it's bathtub gin.

Anyway, I want to "Navy Strength" the quinine, not the gin. What is Fever Tree's and quinine percentage? 50 mg or so, about the same as the cheaper tonics? A therapeutic dose is about 700 mg. The taste is totally off, these tonic waters taste nothing like the anti-malaria tonic waters of my youth. Those were beautifully bitter, these barely have even a hint of bitter. What's the point, they should just take the quinine out, it seems like most G&T people don't want the bitter anyway.

I feel this whole thing is a symptom of a nation of alcoholics who have lost our way. We've been sucking down corporatized hooch for so long that we forgot what is important. In a Gin and Tonic, it's the quinine, that's the most important ingredient. Or with egg nog, the whole point wasn't the whiskey, the alcohol and sugar was just a way to keep the surplus eggs and milk produced during the fall harvest from going bad over the winter.

3 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

I've heard of it but I never tried it.  I lived in Germany for a total of 11 years but I stuck to predominantly beer and wine, gin and Scotch. German alcohol can get pretty weird, pretty fast after the basics.  I did like a raspberry schnapps called Himbeergiest, or raspberry spirit.  It tasted nicely of raspberry and then you felt the kick of the alcohol.

Do try it. I find it better for cooking than just plain old drinking, but my German friends disagree.

• Like 1

Tanq Rangpur and Q tonic w a tiny slice of lime is da bomb. OTOH, G&T to me is like pizza or sex. Even if it's not great, it's still pretty good. Some mediocre gin, some mediocre tonic, much more lime, hell - it's still drinkable. It's not to be savored and enjoyed, but heck - it's drinkin something decent. Add 70% enjoyment factor if it's on the boat.  Not like trying to choke down a Coors Light or anything. 

Had a G&T at a bar on Sat, Hendricks and whatever came out of the nozzle. Was quite good. 

I developed the taste in high school when my compatriots were all drinking beer. I'd show up at a party wearing a big Goretex parka. Because B.C. and rain.

In one pocket was a 1L water bottle with ice cubes (ever try to find ice cubes at a highschooler party), a small container of sliced limes, a bunch of tonic bottles in another pocket, and the gin in yet another pocket. It was like a magic trick and I would keep pulling out ingredients from yet another spot.

Been drinking Bombay, the 47% Tanquery and a local gin called Tofino.

• Like 3

Any of you Gentlemen ever tried a LaLeche? If you have a lactating woman in the house, it's quite the exotic cocktail ...

• 2 parts gin
  • 2 parts human breast milk from a woman on Quinine therapy for Malaria
  • Crushed ice
  • Shake until cold in shaker
  • Decant into rocks glass, garnish with a sprig of mint

These were remarkably popular in the counting rooms of Andorran banks back in the 1990s.

443136073_ScreenShot2021-06-01at1_33_57AM.png.877a0f08335925e28551d17bf104eebf.png

On 5/31/2021 at 1:49 AM, dacapo said:

9A9D3AED-103A-4A0B-BE07-F3B4C58F544D.thumb.jpeg.109fd04b034af51b609214666c1c4124.thumb.jpeg.97457de9b2b777535e169771ff693a82.jpeg

any whisky drinker would of known how ...

2 hours ago, Mid said:

9A9D3AED-103A-4A0B-BE07-F3B4C58F544D.thumb.jpeg.109fd04b034af51b609214666c1c4124.thumb.jpeg.97457de9b2b777535e169771ff693a82.jpeg

true for most things........but the powers to be couldn't make this easier for all of us ?  It's almost as fucked up as the YRALIS website 

I used to drink G&Ts on airline flights. (The beer was always warm, even if they had decent beer). But then I found out that gin makes me want to dance. This is fine for a few seconds, but after that the FAs get a bit antsy. So I switched to V&Ts..... Much more subtle....

I appreciate good gin as much as the next guy, but there is no tonic that doesn't take away from the flavor of the gin, so cheap gin in the gin and tonic and good gin in the martini, dry like as in you just wave the bottle of vermouth around in the vicinity of the glass but don't get any in there.

So, I would like to take this discussion in the opposite direction, that being cheap:

20210601_160540.thumb.jpg.8ee32d75c82c0daf665a6cbab95da9f5.jpg

image.thumb.png.4fc8406128f5045c1642fe03069e3b20.png

Fellas, carry the five, divide by 8, plus tax, etc, etc, math, math, that works out to 29 cents of gin and 3 cents of tonic,

You got a 32 cent G&T, plus some pennies for the ice.

Don't forget to tip your bartender.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Latadjust said:

just wave the bottle of vermouth around in the vicinity of the glass but don't get any in there.

amen

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mid said:
4 hours ago, Latadjust said:

just wave the bottle of vermouth around in the vicinity of the glass but don't get any in there.

amen

I always tell the bartender to just say vermouth while icing the gin……good enough…….and drop in a couple onions. Not those anemic crappy bar onions if that’s all you have…..if you have some healthy sour ones like a mezzetta I’m in. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Point Break said:

if you have some healthy sour ones like a mezzetta I’m in. 

Cocktail Onions

haven't seen in Oz , haven't been looking either , will now :)

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Point Break said:

I always tell the bartender to just say vermouth while icing the gin……good enough…….and drop in a couple onions. Not those anemic crappy bar onions if that’s all you have…..if you have some healthy sour ones like a mezzetta I’m in. 

That's not a Martini, that's a Gibson.  

Ok, this should get blood pressures up.  Tonic water is too damn sweet.  By the 3rd G&T my teeth need to be steam-cleaned.  Want a nice, clean, dry G&T?  Kirkland brand gin (no joke, it’s good) and Kirkland sparkling water, lime flavored.  1/3rd the price of Tanqueray and tonic, 1/2 the calories, and actually better.

Flame away.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Left Shift said:

That's not a Martini, that's a Gibson.  

Yep, but nowadays if you order a Gibson you often get a “huh” look from the 22 yo waitress……

51 minutes ago, Bcubed said:

The perfect dry martini is to think about the vermouth as you sip the gin.

I'd rather not think about vermouth.  Many far, far better things to think about.  

15 hours ago, The great unwashed said:

Ok, this should get blood pressures up.  Tonic water is too damn sweet.  By the 3rd G&T my teeth need to be steam-cleaned.  Want a nice, clean, dry G&T?  Kirkland brand gin (no joke, it’s good) and Kirkland sparkling water, lime flavored.  1/3rd the price of Tanqueray and tonic, 1/2 the calories, and actually better.

Flame away.

Yeah, that's exactly my point. And today's "tonic water" has little to nothing in common with actual quinine water. The miniscule amount of quinine seems added as a cruel joke to our quinine deficiencies, so they add sugar to make up for the lack of quinine.

And I agree with you about cheap gin, what's the point of buying expensive gin if you're just going to change the taste with citrus, fizzy water and other ingredients? High quality hooch should be unadulterated.

Today

On 6/1/2021 at 4:04 AM, Mid said:

seriously how the fuck do you turn the goddamn picture that’s  sideways the correct way I’m about to throw my phone through my TV screen

image.jpg

20 minutes ago, dacapo said:

Today

seriously how the fuck do you turn the goddamn picture that’s  sideways the correct way I’m about to throw my phone through my TV screen

image.jpg

On a Mac:  Open the picture in preview and rotate it then save it to your desktop.  Took 3 seconds.  (Don't use Acrobat.)

image.thumb.jpg.26ad0777f686e307cbfd6db897e05fe0.jpg

• Like 1

Travis McGee drank Plymouth gin.

I had Bombay Sapphire once. I was disappointed it wasn't blue.

I drink Tanqueray. They had a really good ad...one perfect thing...and I like the bottle. 

Hangs head....

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Left Shift said:

On a Mac:  Open the picture in preview and rotate it then save it to your desktop.

paint in windozs 

17 hours ago, mikewof said:

Yeah, that's exactly my point. And today's "tonic water" has little to nothing in common with actual quinine water. The miniscule amount of quinine seems added as a cruel joke to our quinine deficiencies, so they add sugar to make up for the lack of quinine.

And I agree with you about cheap gin, what's the point of buying expensive gin if you're just going to change the taste with citrus, fizzy water and other ingredients? High quality hooch should be unadulterated.

Just skip the tonic and get some Campari.  Mix it with your cheap gin and some soda water and you can call it an Italian pink gin.  It should be bitter enough for you.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Just skip the tonic and get some Campari.  Mix it with your cheap gin and some soda water and you can call it an Italian pink gin.  It should be bitter enough for you.

Discussing beverages with Mikey is like discussing infectious diseases or physics or anything.  Consider the source.

Now it's "our quinine deficiencies"....

• Like 1

I was in Madrid a couple of years ago and there was a version of Tanqueray that isn't available in the US. I wish I could remember the name. It was, without a doubt, the best Gin and Tonic I've ever had. For those that favor Schweppes to Canada Dry, I completely agree. If I can't find Schweppes (glass 6 pack, not the  liter bottles) I buy Fever Tree, but never Canada Dry or Grocery store brand. 

Not a fan of Hendricks in a G&T. Beefeater, regular Bombay, Tanq, even Gordon's make a very respectable and affordable G&T. The St. Georges are expensive but nice. Three distinct flavor profiles.

3 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

I had Campari about thirty years ago, I remember that it tasted nothing like I imagined it would, I'll try Campari next time it's in front of me.

Gin is an odd spirit, it's been with me since I was about six years old or so, the government workers at the family parties used to pour a little gin in our orange juice so we would fall asleep and stop bugging them.

What' the name of the gin that made it through Prohibition sold as rubbing alcohol? It was the name of of a year, like 1864, or something close that, maybe the year it was founded. I remember the botanicals in that one as being remarkably close to something that would be splashed on my face in the barber's chair. I don't remember the taste of the hooch as anything too special, but the aroma was mind-blowing.

Off gin for a moment, but friend just introduced me to this stuff as his new favorite tequila  ...

1855077055_ScreenShot2021-06-03at12_58_58PM.png.ff0c57c8dfaf153041d7cd59445032d9.png

I have become enamored with gin & tonic in the last several years, mainly because my social circle was almost entirely Brits while I was overseas in Dubai.  SWMBO is also an avid G&T fan as well, so they are the standard pre-dinner cocktails.  I’ve tried a lot lately and I’ve narrowed down my favorites to:

1. The Botanist

image.png.bdd4de0638c3561dfd9b19191af1c695.png

2.  Hendricks

3.  Silent Pool

image.png.95046e6faec2e28ae17209b3901be87a.png

4.  Empress

image.png.a69920f73593f30c889b16cec1e3c05c.png

And yes, Empress is actually purple liquid.  

A standard go to is Bombay Sapphire when I want something decent but don’t want to break out the good stuff.  

The Botanist is by far my favorite.  It’s an Isley Gin and I didn’t even know they made Gin In Scotland.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Burning Man said:

I have become enamored with gin & tonic in the last several years, mainly because my social circle was almost entirely Brits while I was overseas in Dubai.  SWMBO is also an avid G&T fan as well, so they are the standard pre-dinner cocktails.  I’ve tried a lot lately and I’ve narrowed down my favorites to:

1. The Botanist

2.  Hendricks

3.  Silent Pool

4.  Empress

A standard go to is Bombay Sapphire when I want something decent but don’t want to break out the good stuff.  

The Botanist is by far my favorite.  It’s an Isley Gin and I didn’t even know they made Gin In Scotland.

Gin is made everywhere.

As someone said above, it's just neutral spirits (Grain alcohol) infused with spices, and diluted to a drinkable proof. Juniper berry is the most common spice.

Drambuie is basically Gin with honey and heather, and a few other un-specified flavors, aged in Oak casks.

I'm guessing that your purple stuff has lavender flowers steeped in it.... Or food coloring....

11 hours ago, Burning Man said:

1. The Botanist

2.  Hendricks

3.  Silent Pool

4.  Empress

Botanist is #2 was #1 till Nolets Silver…it’s still close. Don’t know the second one. Tried the purple one at a friends recommendation. One drink…..it’s now for guests……ones I don’t like……..

Gin is becoming fashionable again ( for a while ) which means the pretentious can have a go at fucking it up while seriously monetizing it.

For a new, bold, cutting-edge designer gin product, the original investment spend would be about 10% on manufacturing a basic clear alcohol and buying in some basic flavoring agents. A further 20% would go on market research to determine the main buzzword flavour, and whether or not to have a colour.  The remaining 70% would be marketing, label and bottle design, and product placement bribes.

"Rhubarb, with hints of elderflower........and that lingering taste of aluminium filings....."

• Like 3

I love G&T, my problem is with amount of sugar/sweetener in the T part...

• Like 1
On 5/30/2021 at 11:41 AM, view at the front said:

A similar thread several years ago ........................................................................

has anyone tried making Gin at home ?

Results, comparisons, samples ?????

11 hours ago, Point Break said:

Botanist is #2 was #1 till Nolets Silver…it’s still close. Don’t know the second one. Tried the purple one at a friends recommendation. One drink…..it’s now for guests……ones I don’t like……..

Nolets Silver..... Hmmmm I hadn't heard of that one.  Will try it next as the Liter of Botanist is down to a 1/4 bottle left.  Yeah, I'm sorta with you on the Empress.  SWMBO prefers it.  I think it's just OK.  I revisited it last night after I typed that post and found it was much more Meh than I remembered.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

has anyone tried making Gin at home ?

Results, comparisons, samples ?????

I did make a batch about 10 years ago.... Small batch, maybe 5 gallons.

It was OK. Juniper berries and Rosemary were the main flavorings.

Like I said, it was OK.... But I preferred store bought Beefeaters. Maybe I could have experimented more, but I didn't.

As an aside, as a child I thought the term was Bee Feeders, and when I asked a Beefeater at Buckingham palace why they were called that he said, quite seriously; "Why? Because we feed her majesty's bees, of course!" I thought my father was going to choke to death laughing.

3 hours ago, Burning Man said:

Nolets Silver..... Hmmmm I hadn't heard of that one.  Will try it next as the Liter of Botanist is down to a 1/4 bottle left.  Yeah, I'm sorta with you on the Empress.  SWMBO prefers it.  I think it's just OK.  I revisited it last night after I typed that post and found it was much more Meh than I remembered.  

Mrs PB thought it was acceptable as well. She prefers the Nolets and Botanist but finds the purple gin acceptable as a “pretty” & “fun” drink for guests etc. I’m pretty meh on it as well. 

Damn you @Point Break :lol:I went and picked up a bottle of Nolets Silver at Total Wine just a bit ago.  I'm looking forward to cocktails later.  If it's better than Botanist, I'm going to be very impressed.  Interestingly it was the only bottle of gin on the entire wall that was empty.  I had to have a clerk go track it down in the back as it hadn't been restocked.  

I also picked up a Hendrick's "Lunar".  Supposedly a bit more "floral" than the regular Hendricks.  So I'm looking forward to that as well soon.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Burning Man said:

Damn you @Point Break :lol:I went and picked up a bottle of Nolets Silver at Total Wine just a bit ago.  I'm looking forward to cocktails later.  If it's better than Botanist, I'm going to be very impressed.  Interestingly it was the only bottle of gin on the entire wall that was empty.  I had to have a clerk go track it down in the back as it hadn't been restocked.  

I also picked up a Hendrick's "Lunar".  Supposedly a bit more "floral" than the regular Hendricks.  So I'm looking forward to that as well soon.  

:lol: Be interested in what you think of the Nolets.

20 hours ago, Point Break said:

:lol: Be interested in what you think of the Nolets.

Had it last night.  Loved it!  It had an interesting undertone flavor that I was struggling to put my finger on.... something like an Elder flower or such.  Very unique taste.  Great recommendation, thank you.

I also picked up a Hendricks "Lunar" at the same time and tried that as well.  VERY different than the stock Hendricks which I've always liked as a staple gin.  It still had that dry taste, but much more floral.  Almost a hint of orange or some other citrus.  I definitely recommend giving it a try.  Not quite as good as Nolets or The Botanist, but a close 3rd for sure.  

• Like 1