20 hours ago, Point Break said:

Do they have Total Wine stores there in wherever you are……:lol:…..or are you back in the states?

Sorry, been back for 18 months now.  Where you been?  :lol:

2 hours ago, Burning Man said:

Sorry, been back for 18 months now.  Where you been?  :lol:

Well……..a little busy and distracted off and on………just like the previous 6+ decades……:lol:

Been a while since I had anything to drink when I ordered a Hendricks rocks w/ cuke on a sultry afternoon yesterday. The lovely barmaid filled the tub to the brim with that clear nectar of the Gods. Who needs tonic and those unnecessary carbs when the gin tastes that good?

I could barely stand up after the second one. Guess I need to rebuild my tolerance level.

16 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Annybodey no abote thisse oune?  A fellowe I mette laste weekend coudente stoppe raveng .............

19871.jpg

:)

It's tasty, I've used that brand for years.

• Like 1
On 6/6/2021 at 8:57 AM, Trovão said:

I love G&T, my problem is with amount of sugar/sweetener in the T part...

Very true. And I’ve tried sugar-tonic for that reason and can’t get past that it tastes like cat piss. 

• Like 1

I had a Seagram's and Schweppes today. No lime. It was delightfully refreshing. Heavy on the tonic, and just enough ice.

Seagram's is something I usually use for cooking, not drinking, but it was what was in the house, so.....

Only one, so I wasn't lured in to the dancing in the rain condition that Gin can put me in..... Love the stuff, but like other men's wives, I try to avoid the temptation.

On 6/12/2021 at 8:33 AM, Burning Man said:

Very true. And I’ve tried sugar-tonic for that reason and can’t get past that it tastes like cat piss. 

That should have been “sugar-free”. 

On 6/1/2021 at 8:16 PM, Latadjust said:

I appreciate good gin as much as the next guy, but there is no tonic that doesn't take away from the flavor of the gin, so cheap gin in the gin and tonic and good gin in the martini, dry like as in you just wave the bottle of vermouth around in the vicinity of the glass but don't get any in there.

So, I would like to take this discussion in the opposite direction, that being cheap:

20210601_160540.thumb.jpg.8ee32d75c82c0daf665a6cbab95da9f5.jpg

image.thumb.png.4fc8406128f5045c1642fe03069e3b20.png

Fellas, carry the five, divide by 8, plus tax, etc, etc, math, math, that works out to 29 cents of gin and 3 cents of tonic,

You got a 32 cent G&T, plus some pennies for the ice.

Don't forget to tip your bartender.

If you are going cheap. Gordon’s gin is far and away the best cheap dry gin. No contest. 

• Like 3
On 6/2/2021 at 10:16 AM, Point Break said:

Yep, but nowadays if you order a Gibson you often get a “huh” look from the 22 yo waitress……

But on the other hand if you ask her for a martini she will ask you what kind. And no she isn’t just talking gin or vodka.

Sad really a chocolate martini, among others. 

All this tonic talk has me thinking I need to experiment. Going to try out some new tonics. I’ve been a basic beefeaters and Canada Dry man for most my life. I’ve tried different gins, but always assumed tonic is tonic. 

So I’m going to try some new ones 

55 minutes ago, chinabald said:

All this tonic talk has me thinking I need to experiment. Going to try out some new tonics. I’ve been a basic beefeaters and Canada Dry man for most my life. I’ve tried different gins, but always assumed tonic is tonic. 

Fever Tree is quite good but a little pricey. I’m currently using “Q”. Good stuff.

The Q is good stuff. My neighbor made us some G&T's with Q tonic and it really took the drink up a level. 

For the cheap crowd, Seagram's ("In the ancient bottle") is a decent cheap gin.

Also worth trying, especially if you're not a big G&T drinker: add a healthy dose of bitters.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, chinabald said:

Canada Dry Tonic is way too sweet for me.

I saw some Fever Tree tonic at the store yesterday, and thought about giving it a try (I love their Ginger Beer).... But $5 for  four (4) 10oz. bottles kinda wrecked that thought.

Fever Tree has several flavors of tonic water,  Indian and Mediterranean are worth trying side by side,  the others may be as well. Definitely worth a try at least once. These flavors are better with a decent, solid gin, not the cheap stuff 

4 minutes ago, Latadjust said:

Fever Tree has several flavors of tonic water,  Indian and Mediterranean are worth trying side by side,  the others may be as well. Definitely worth a try at least once. These flavors are better with a decent, solid gin, not the cheap stuff 

Wille do, thack you.

5 minutes ago, Latadjust said:

These flavors are better with a decent, solid gin, not the cheap stuff 

irreguardlesse of what you may of heared, we our notte swille mongeres,             :)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2021 at 11:33 AM, mikewof said:
On 6/8/2021 at 6:54 PM, Snaggletooth said:

Annybodey no abote thisse oune?  A fellowe I mette laste weekend coudente stoppe raveng .............

19871.jpg

:)

Expand  Expand  

It's tasty, I've used that brand for years.

Hafte to adgree withe you Mickey............                      :)

"Slow distilled"? That's an odd idea. Distilling happens at a certain temperature, just short of boiling water (190f IIRC). Anything less than that, and you just have warm wort. Too much hotter than that and you scald the wort, and turn your liquor into rubbing alcohol.

I guess it could be like old fashioned Apple Jack, and the wort is frozen, and then the high proof unfrozen product is tapped out of the center, but.....Why?

I'm guessing that's just an advertising bit.

Just looking at restocking the gin portion of the bar... Beefeater for negronis is a given... Was thinking Hendrix for the day to day g&t base, but saw the nolet's... Fuck me $125 in Aus. 

Then some thing a bit special. Have previously had a roku gin or maybe thr green ant gin... 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So I tried some different tonics. 

tried fever tree indian, Schweppes, and am currently drinking q. 
kept the gin the same (beefeaters) topped off each drink with a piece of lemon (my go to). Even measured out the gin to keep it all equal. 

The Schweppes and Q are both ok. I would probably prefer my old usual Canada Dry over these. But going forward I’ll probably buy the fever tree. 

28 minutes ago, chinabald said:

So I tried some different tonics. 

tried fever tree indian, Schweppes, and am currently drinking q. 
kept the gin the same (beefeaters) topped off each drink with a piece of lemon (my go to). Even measured out the gin to keep it all equal. 

The Schweppes and Q are both ok. I would probably prefer my old usual Canada Dry over these. But going forward I’ll probably buy the fever tree. 

Agree. I favor Fever Tree as well and used it exclusively for quite a while but drink Q most often now as Fever Tree has gotten silly $$ and Q is only a small second….pretty good really. 

8 hours ago, Point Break said:

Agree. I favor Fever Tree as well and used it exclusively for quite a while but drink Q most often now as Fever Tree has gotten silly $$ and Q is only a small second….pretty good really. 

Put a pretty good buzz in this past Friday evening with some of the old timers at my YC. They had a bottle of New Amsterdam and fever tree citrus. I went out to my boat and brought back my bottle of  Porters. I converted both of them to being Porters gin lovers. One said ( with slurred speech) “this may be the worlds greatest tasting gin in the planetary system) :lol: whatever that meant 

• Like 1
On 7/18/2021 at 11:53 AM, ROADKILL666 said:

Ok I am going to try one.What brand of gin do I want to try?

Bombay Sapphire 

Just now, Latadjust said:

Bombay Sapphire 

And dont bother with the lime, at first 

Eventually,  yes, you have to stave off scurvy 

SWMBO just picked up a Fever Tree naturally light or some thing, sippin one right now (Bombay Sapphire, outa the good stuff)

It's quite good.