That is called "Adventure Class" several events here in the PNW doing that now. 

6 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

All I can say is - Why?

Because three months sitting alone in a bathtub of cold water while lifting barbells won't get you to Hawaii?

• Like 2

hasn't this happened before? Person takes off from CA with limited experience and untested vessel. never makes it. Back to the coast within a week. Will try again after solving some issues... Total deja vu

• Like 1
13 hours ago, The great unwashed said:

Much of the kayak’s forward motion will come from drifting in the wind, so...sailing!

sailing or floating?

2 hours ago, AnotherSailor said:

hasn't this happened before? Person takes off from CA with limited experience and untested vessel. never makes it. Back to the coast within a week. Will try again after solving some issues... Total deja vu

It has happened before.. amazing story   Ed Gillet did it in 1987 using an off the shelf kayak:

https://secureservercdn.net/198.71.233.138/30z.7c8.myftpupload.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Gillet-doing-a-test-run-the-day-before-he-launched-for-Hawaii.jpg

n June 25, 1987, Ed Gillet launched from California’s Monterey Bay in a 20-foot Tofino tandem sea kayak stuffed with 600 pounds of gear and provisions. The weight nearly converted his kayak to a submersible, but 36-year-old Gillet, who had already accumulated more than 10,000 miles of paddling experience that included long trips along the Inside Passage and the Pacific coast of South America, managed to keep it afloat. A small sendoff party including his wife, Katie Kampe, stood witness to his departure; Gillet would later come to regret taking only a handful of the bagels she offered him at the slip. But for now, his only thoughts were of the ocean.

Gillet spent the next 64 days paddling solo across the Pacific. Despite nearly calling the trip a week in, after drifting off-course and being forced to improvise a rudder when his broke, Gillet remained committed, recognizing that this would likely be his only attempt at the crossing. Relying on celestial navigation to stay on route, he kept paddling, even as crucial gear spilled overboard and a constellation of open sores, aggravated by the constant spray of saltwater, spread across his body.

His Q/A session with Canoe & Kayak is incredible

No support vessel, no GPS, no Sat phone....  just dogged determination and perseverance...

I have lots of respect for this chap.

• Like 2

At least that idiot on the chubby "boat" is most likely not going to try again. coast guard can enjoy the day without having to rescue another dumb fuck.

Years ago there was a mother / son team that planned to kayak some insane distance.  No shakedown.  No previous long-distance trips.  Obviously inexperienced. Those two lasted 18 hours. 

Few people are able to do these things because they are so hard.  

4 hours ago, Foreverslow said:

fuckwit did not make it 100 miles.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/coast-guard-rescuers-kayaker-aiming-for-hawaii-70-miles-off-coast

no word if the front fell off..

I will (for once, just for once) quote myself:

On 6/1/2021 at 9:28 AM, AnotherSailor said:

• Like 1
On 6/1/2021 at 4:28 AM, AnotherSailor said:

This one?

Kayaker Attempting California-to-Hawaii Crossing Found Unresponsive Near Pebble Beach

Thursday May 17, 2018

https://www.theinertia.com/surf/kayaker-attempt-california-to-hawaii-crossing-found-unresponsive-near-pebble-beach/

It was his fourth attempt, and it was technically fatal.

46 minutes ago, Virgulino Ferreira said:

This one?

How the fuck is something "technically fatal"?

Anyway, yes, something like that, although a lot of these fuckwits are smart enough to have the equipment to call the CG. 

That photo of the CG with someone who nearly fell victim to their own stupidity is another deja vu moment. Fishfood: "everything is cool, we are all smiling." Don't look it up if you don't know what I am talking about. It would be a total waste of your time.

A tip of the fedora and all respect to the Coasties . . 

the only branch of the US security apparatus that 

actually does more good than harm. 

On 5/31/2021 at 10:07 PM, The great unwashed said:

Much of the kayak’s forward motion will come from drifting in the wind, so...sailing!

i have a big issue with these guys who go in what is technically a fancy liferaft and then get rescued. You don't leave the port in an unseaworthy boat.

Looks like he did his homework though, even had a one man dry suit liferaft thingymajig

May be an image of body of water

at least the boat might still make it to hawaii - still tracking and it's all downhill

https://solokayaktohawaii.com/tracker/

In the Santa Cruz Sentinel this morning they picked up the latest guy 70 miles west of Santa Cruz.

Lost his one and only sea anchor, he had lines fowling his rudder, his GPS had failed I think. Cant find an online article.

He was in high winds and seas and would still be out there without modern satcom tools.

7 hours ago, shebeen said:

at least the boat might still make it to hawaii - still tracking and it's all downhill

https://solokayaktohawaii.com/tracker/

Someone at an SHTP skippers meeting related something along the lines of "if you toss a hunk of 2x4 off the GG bridge on a strong ebb it will most likely eventually find its way to Hawaii. We're just trying to get there a bit faster." So I think the kayak has a good chance of completing the unnecessary voyage.  Unnecessary as the drift experiment has been done before. See George Sigler's "Experiment in Survival." Admittedly, there were two on that raft but still, pretty much just a drift to HI thing...

On 6/7/2021 at 3:50 PM, Foreverslow said:

fuckwit did not make it 100 miles.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/coast-guard-rescuers-kayaker-aiming-for-hawaii-70-miles-off-coast

no word if the front fell off..

Stunning quote from USCG referring to " experienced mariners" and "proper safety equipment" :

"Recognizing that the situation was beyond his capabilities and calling for assistance allowed our crews to reach him in time for a successful rescue," Lt. Cmdr. Matthew Kroll, a Coast Guard spokesperson, said in a statement. "This shows that even experienced mariners with proper safety equipment can get into trouble on the ocean, which is why having the right equipment and knowing when and how to use it is so important."

Derreumaux was in good condition.

2 hours ago, Borracho said:

How is that done in a kayak?

Hell I've had to pee in a kayak. That isn't so bad. But otherwise... carefully

54 minutes ago, casc27 said:

Someone at an SHTP skippers meeting related something along the lines of "if you toss a hunk of 2x4 off the GG bridge on a strong ebb it will most likely eventually find its way to Hawaii. We're just trying to get there a bit faster." So I think the kayak has a good chance of completing the unnecessary voyage.  Unnecessary as the drift experiment has been done before. See George Sigler's "Experiment in Survival." Admittedly, there were two on that raft but still, pretty much just a drift to HI thing...

Interesting factoid.. I had not heard of that... I guess that the Flyin Hawaiian did make it to Hawaii in the end.. and Hot Rod technically was right that the Flyin Hawaiian would make it... just in multiple pieces.. :(

2 minutes ago, Zonker said:

That is exactly what Ed Gillet (the chap that did successfully kayak from SF to Oahu) said.. "Very carefully....."

2 hours ago, Zonker said:

That water is cold.

Deep too...     ;<)

I read this thinking about Ed and wondering what he would think.  He  is 100% a character, if you kayaked out of San Diego in the late 90's his shop was the real sea kayaker's domain.  He had no problem telling novices planning to match his adventures his opinion.  Once his shop closed he was a hard guy to find if you didn't know him personally, and even then his wife made sure the time wasters and dreamers were kept at a distance.  In his early days prior to Hawaii his trips were suffer fests by today's standards - bare bones boat, peanut butter and luck. Somewhere I have a bunch of articles/letters he wrote as he travelled south, and a few from after his Hawaii trip.  That Tofino he took to Hawaii had bulkheads removed so he could slide down inside to sleep.  I had not seen that book,  I'll have to head over to Amazon...

16 hours ago, casc27 said:

impressive!

https://petesperspective.com/crazy-or-courageous-monroe-journal-january-16-2020/

looks like heading to shore?

foiling at 2kts is probably not as much fun as it sounds

image.png.24d23f5ba9f8e1ccd23c7b8e11bc3890.png