Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Looked like she swatted the bear with her phone!

I wonder what app repels bears?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good thing it wasn't Sarah Palin. She might have been second amendmented.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I get the impulse to save your animals. But that is one seriously lucky senorita! If she had run out a few seconds sooner when the cubs were still (as earlier mentioned) or that bear had lunged and fallen forward instead of backwards??? That home security video would have to have been blurred out to cover the carnage. Stupid move that had a great outcome. Not the first. Won't be the last. Anyone with a few years in EMS has walked away from scenes going "How the heck did they survive that"

 

WL

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, White Lightning2 said:

I get the impulse to save your animals. But that is one seriously lucky senorita! If she had run out a few seconds sooner when the cubs were still (as earlier mentioned) or that bear had lunged and fallen forward instead of backwards??? That home security video would have to have been blurred out to cover the carnage. Stupid move that had a great outcome. Not the first. Won't be the last. Anyone with a few years in EMS has walked away from scenes going "How the heck did they survive that"

 

WL

Yea Gawds. I've seen a Griz open a Camry like it was a sardine tin.  That lil' girl got very lucky.   Fish Cops carry shotguns with slugs for when they have to deal with Brown Bears.  

Don't bring a cell phone to a Grizzly fight.  It was near-run thing if she was going to win the Bad-Arse Momasita or Darwin Award. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Willin' said:

Looked like she swatted the bear with her phone!

I wonder what app repels bears?

She’s a sailor. She just shouted “Bear away!”

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alphafb552 said:

Dumb clip, the girl should have been able to call off her dogs instead of assaulting the bear and risking injury.

Yeah, but... it's possible for a well-trained dog to get so torqued up that they literally do not hear their master's commands. Lesser-trained dogs, nah.

Poor situational assessment/awareness on the young lady's part. She said later she did not even realize it was a bear. Bears will usually run away from dogs but a mama bear with cubs won't run away from anything, they deserve their reputation.

- DSK

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

 

Yea Gawds. I've seen a Griz open a Camry like it was a sardine tin.  That lil' girl got very lucky.   Fish Cops carry shotguns with slugs for when they have to deal with Brown Bears.  

Don't bring a cell phone to a Grizzly fight.  It was near-run thing if she was going to win the Bad-Arse Momasita or Darwin Award. 

 

That's a cinnamon phase black bear, not a grizzly. Fairly common in this area.

What I'm seeing here is two Mama bears trying to protect their Cubs. Pure instinct. No rational thought involved. 

Wfd !

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dorado said:

That's a cinnamon phase black bear, not a grizzly. Fairly common in this area.

What I'm seeing here is two Mama bears trying to protect their Cubs. Pure instinct. No rational thought involved. 

Wfd !

Thanks for the info.  Didn't know black bears could transcolor.  ;)  

Most of what I want to know about bears is how to best get away.  Fascinating wiki article about the not-so-black bears.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Most of what I want to know about bears is how to best get away. 

Simple - when in bear country always be with someone who runs slower than you.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Country girls rock.   What a cool little lady.

She said she knows them - Tuesday garbage day.  This was Monday.   Babies hungry & Momma scarfing anything/everything.   Stay loose when they’re looking for lunch.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Simple - when in bear country always be with someone who runs slower than you.

:lol::lol::lol:

And yeah, I'm a city-boy, well aware of my ignorance.  Default is always RUN AWAY!!! Like the time I came toes to snout with a 8 foot gater. But having an ablative meat shield along does seem like a great idea! Honey....?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Black Sox said:

She’s a sailor. She just shouted “Bear away!”

<groan> 

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Simple - when in bear country always be with someone who runs slower than you.

Why run? Just carry a .22 short pocket pistol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, chum said:

Why run? Just carry a .22 short pocket pistol.

 

I think your gonna need a bigger caliber, if you plan to drop a bear......

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

 

I think your gonna need a bigger caliber, if you plan to drop a bear......

In chum's case it's to shoot himself.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've run into a bear or two unexpectedly (Black Bears only so far) at fires and a few hiking. Luckily few had cubs and the few that did were at fires so they were only interested in leaving. Never have had a problem which is likely mostly good fortune. I always carry spray while hiking and not often at fires but never had a moment to use or even contemplate the use as each time, the bear simply left. It is always a thought though. Personally, I think there were options other than charging the bear. Loud noise, a hose, throw something. No......although perhaps I can understand a spur of the moment reaction....if you live in a bear prone area prior thought and planning will avoid spur of the moment tragedies. Even then you may get surprised. 

Whats the old expression........."Whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger. Except for bears. Bears will kill you."

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, d'ranger said:

In chum's case it's to shoot himself.

I carried a .44 magnum in AK.

It wasn't for the bear. It was for me.

Grizzlies can take a bullet or five and still kill you.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

:lol::lol::lol:

And yeah, I'm a city-boy, well aware of my ignorance.  Default is always RUN AWAY!!! Like the time I came toes to snout with a 8 foot gater. But having an ablative meat shield along does seem like a great idea! Honey....?

 

 

In cougar or grizzly country, the general theory is that "RUN AWAY!" will get you taken down faster than anything.  Turns you into prey.   The girl did the classic cougar defense.  Seemed to work.  

From my experience:

Follow the recommended cougar response per California State Parks:  Face the cougar, hold your jacket open wide, Make your self as tall and big as possible, start talking or singing loud, walk slowly directly at the cougar.  This worked for me and for a friend's daughter from 10'-20' away.  However, Don't fucking shoot the cougar and piss it off.  

With grizzlies, always make noise while hiking.  Hike in groups.  If you see one, check the wind direction.  If its blowing toward you, they likely can't smell you.  They can hear you.  They have bad eyesight so the can't see you unless you move quickly.  So silently, slowly walk away backwards.  This worked for me from about 50-70' away.  However, Don't fucking shoot the bear and piss it off.  

Never been threatened by a black bear.  But if you want to avoid them, head down hill fast-ish.  They aren't built for going down hill with their long back legs and short front legs.  This worked for me on a couple of occasions hiking with small groups.  However, again, Don't fucking shoot the bear and piss it off.  

For a gator?  Why would I ever want to be some place where there are gators????  But yeah, I'd likely run away.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, d&#x27;ranger said:

In chum's case it's to shoot himself.

It's to shoot you in the kneecap. That way you don't die tired, and I don't get tired.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Thanks for the info.  Didn't know black bears could transcolor.  ;)  

Most of what I want to know about bears is how to best get away.  Fascinating wiki article about the not-so-black bears.   

Here's a helpful reminder if you're in bear country

bear+sign.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Point Break said:

Whats the old expression........."Whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger. Except for bears. Bears will kill you."

Ol' Ranger Rick at Yellowstone told us; "Bears won't usually attack a human, they'll mosey-on if they can. Even Grizzlies won't attack unless they're having a bad day.  It's just that Grizzlies are always having a bad day."

Good advice, Left Shift.  Fortunately, down here in Florida, even the Black Bear is a rarity.  However, we do have panthers, and two have been spotted too damn close to our spread. Throw in the bobcats, feral boars, rutting bucks, black panthers, pit bulls (The State Dog of Floriduh Man), shitloads of snakes, gators, and, of course, that ever present Floriduh man, and you've got a good excuse to strap on the 10 every time you go outside.   

Several months ago, our Shep needed to potty sometime after 1.  I let her out into the side yard, bleary-eyed watching over her. She took a couple of steps onto the grass, paused, and sniffed the air hard. Her ears flattened, tail went between her legs, and she nearly knock me over getting back in the garage. Whatever it was, she didn't dare face it until it was very bright outside.    

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:
17 hours ago, Point Break said:

Whats the old expression........."Whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger. Except for bears. Bears will kill you."

Ol' Ranger Rick at Yellowstone told us; "Bears won't usually attack a human, they'll mosey-on if they can. Even Grizzlies won't attack unless they're having a bad day.  It's just that Grizzlies are always having a bad day."

Good advice, Left Shift.  Fortunately, down here in Florida, even the Black Bear is a rarity.  However, we do have panthers, and two have been spotted too damn close to our spread. Throw in the bobcats, feral boars, rutting bucks, black panthers, pit bulls (The State Dog of Floriduh Man), shitloads of snakes, gators, and, of course, that ever present Floriduh man, and you've got a good excuse to strap on the 10 every time you go outside.   

Several months ago, our Shep needed to potty sometime after 1.  I let her out into the side yard, bleary-eyed watching over her. She took a couple of steps onto the grass, paused, and sniffed the air hard. Her ears flattened, tail went between her legs, and she nearly knock me over getting back in the garage. Whatever it was, she didn't dare face it until it was very bright outside.    

Gator, maybe? Dogs aren't usually scared of coyotes (which they should be) or bears.

I've had similar experiences in the southeastern US, walking a dog who is VERY into any local game they can scare up. They go from charging fearlessly into the swampy underbrush to silently and cautiously backing away and hiding behind me, head down & tail tucked.

Meanwhile I'm all "motherf****er you're supposed to protect ME!"

- DSK

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Ol' Ranger Rick at Yellowstone told us; "Bears won't usually attack a human, they'll mosey-on if they can. Even Grizzlies won't attack unless they're having a bad day.  It's just that Grizzlies are always having a bad day."

Good advice, Left Shift.  Fortunately, down here in Florida, even the Black Bear is a rarity.  However, we do have panthers, and two have been spotted too damn close to our spread. Throw in the bobcats, feral boars, rutting bucks, black panthers, pit bulls (The State Dog of Floriduh Man), shitloads of snakes, gators, and, of course, that ever present Floriduh man, and you've got a good excuse to strap on the 10 every time you go outside.   

Several months ago, our Shep needed to potty sometime after 1.  I let her out into the side yard, bleary-eyed watching over her. She took a couple of steps onto the grass, paused, and sniffed the air hard. Her ears flattened, tail went between her legs, and she nearly knock me over getting back in the garage. Whatever it was, she didn't dare face it until it was very bright outside.    

Here in NE FL, I live next to about 1000 acres of woods (that is about to become a solar farm).  Few years ago, my 80 pound lab mix and I were out for a morning jog, on the return from an out and back route.  It was a perfect convergence.  Black bear running out of the woods onto the road, me and the dog running on the road.  We all about hit each other, I mean about 5' from collision.  I was like "fuck, a bear"!.  The dog was like "fuck a bear"!  The bear was like "fuck, a person and a dog"!.  We all ran off at panic speed in three directions, then the dog turned around and ran about 20' towards where the bear ran, and then thought better of it.  We could see the bear standing up maybe 25 yards away, behind a palmetto watching us as we went on our way.  Sure hope it got where it was wanting to go as it was about to enter the "Lawman's Association" hunting area where they shoot anything that moves, including dogs as they warned me.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL!

'Bout the closest we came to getting up close and personal with wildlife was a rutting buck. Dumb sonsabritch was blowing, pawing, feinting and presenting his rack.  Dawg was all about the fresh venison. I was thinking my popgun wasn't quite up to the task. Fortunately, he wasn't within 10 yards when his brain reconnected.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of reactions here seem to split along the Dog Lovers/ No Dogs line.

Hailey’s Yorkie attacked w/o hesitation to defend her yard and owner.   Hailey did the right thing.  Her dog’s dead in less than a minute in that situation.   She wasn’t going to let that go down.

Dog lovers know when your dog’s  laying it’s life down for you - it’s time to step it up and bring the fight to the aggressor.

I’m not a big fan of Cali laws protecting dumpster-diving bears in the foothills east of here.  Hunters need to be able to cull more bears out here.  Meat can be tasty too.   Feed the homeless.
 

Hailey’s parents should get her firearm training and a Benelli with 3” slugs.   Better to bring to the next fight.  Girl’s got game.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My dog was cornered by a couple of coyotes one night, one to his front, one in back. He was suddenly barking up a storm under my window. When I opened the window he looked at me and then got his fight on snapping and snarling. It’s as if he was sayin “hey buddy I could use some help here!” The coyotes took off immediately. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Any side arm, when facing a bear, or an alligator is best used on your companion's knee cap, not the animal. You can always get a new friend.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Any side arm, when facing a bear, or an alligator is best used on your companion's knee cap, not the animal. You can always get a new friend.

My pocket gun for hiking. That's the "bear on top of me, please let this work" gun.

Always cautious, always  noisy on the trail. Never even thought about having to use it. Thankfully.

 

WL

14313.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2021 at 12:44 PM, Point Break said:

I've run into a bear or two unexpectedly (Black Bears only so far) at fires and a few hiking. Luckily few had cubs and the few that did were at fires so they were only interested in leaving. Never have had a problem which is likely mostly good fortune. I always carry spray while hiking and not often at fires but never had a moment to use or even contemplate the use as each time, the bear simply left. It is always a thought though. Personally, I think there were options other than charging the bear. Loud noise, a hose, throw something. No......although perhaps I can understand a spur of the moment reaction....if you live in a bear prone area prior thought and planning will avoid spur of the moment tragedies. Even then you may get surprised. 

Whats the old expression........."Whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger. Except for bears. Bears will kill you."

  Makes one wonder how the hell anything as weak and slow as a homo sapiens could have ever survived, particularly the savannas and jungles of Africa. There are some interesting theories about our oddly strong natural scent. Could be...

 https://watermark.silverchair.com/bly109.pdf?token=AQECAHi208BE49Ooan9kkhW_Ercy7Dm3ZL_9Cf3qfKAc485ysgAAAq8wggKrBgkqhkiG9w0BBwagggKcMIICmAIB

 Pretty common for a griz to mess somebody up but not eat the meat. Why on earth would a carnivore walk away from a couple hundred pounds of fresh meat?  I know in India the pattern for tigers is typically an old or starving one makes his first human kill out of desperation, but afterwards seeks to hunt humans actively....like the critter says "hey, once you get by the smell it's not bad!" Sorta like Brussel sprouts... 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, White Lightning2 said:

My pocket gun for hiking. That's the "bear on top of me, please let this work" gun.

Always cautious, always  noisy on the trail. Never even thought about having to use it. Thankfully.

 

WL

14313.jpg

.454 snubby?     Yikes.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to plant trees as a summer job in N Ontario and the B.C. interior.

One summer we spent a couple of months planting a 2 or 3 year old forest fire burn a couple hours north of T Bay. The burn was multi multi thousands of hectares...so our camp was pretty remote.

At the end of another long day out on the block, we’d all just finished dinner and were getting busy with a few cold ones. The mess tent was probably 50-60 feet long with a flap entrance at one end and a side flap exit at the other. Picture maybe 6 eight foot long tables lined up together to form 1 large dining table for 30.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, a 500 pound black bear bolts through the end flap, ends up sliding ass first down the table, sending plates, glasses, cutlery and beer bottles in every direction...almost like a ten pin bowling ball clearing the lane.

The bear slid off the other end, landed on its ass, turned around to have a look, and bolted out the side flap.

Suffice to say it took all of us an extra second or two for everyone to collectively reset their heartbeat and go from sheer silence to outright laughter.

As dangerous as it could’ve been it was sheer comedy to us. I don’t think Barnum and Bailey could’ve scripted it any better.

By next morning our new friend was in a trailer trap, courtesy of the MNR, awaiting his 400 km relocation journey to his new stomping grounds.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, blunderfull said:

.454 snubby?     Yikes.   

You wait 'til he gets your gun hand in his mouth.

Much less perceived recoil then. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, justsomeguy! said:

You wait 'til he gets your gun hand in his mouth.

Much less perceived recoil then. :)

Yes.   Haha.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If I frequented where Popes shit, the Glock 20 Clown Gun would be on my hip.  Sixteen rounds of Buffalo Bore 10mm 220gr hard cast rounds (the equivalent of a .41 Magnum) would be the best I could do.   

BTW: Want to fuel your nightmares?  Polar Bears consider Grizzlies a light workout.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Sixteen rounds of Buffalo Bore 10mm 220gr hard cast rounds (the equivalent of a .41 Magnum) would be the best I could do.  

 Story i heard was the bear had the guy's gun hand in its mouth and a round was fired into its throat.

Bear just shrugged and then took off.

That is all. Ain't that enough?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Elmer Keith wrote a great yarn about his encounter with a Grizz during a guide expedition. It singled him out and made a long run toward him.  Elmer emptied his gun (Winchester 30-30?  It's been a long time) into the bear. It got within 15 feet of Elmer when it tripped and somersaulted, and came to rest with it's head on a tree stump. Ol' Elmer took the hint and sunk an axe into the boar's head, ending things.

Keith was no fan of Grizzlies.  Prolly why he was so keen on developing a stout handgun cartridge.    

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2021 at 6:31 AM, Steam Flyer said:

Gator, maybe? Dogs aren't usually scared of coyotes (which they should be) or bears.

I've had similar experiences in the southeastern US, walking a dog who is VERY into any local game they can scare up. They go from charging fearlessly into the swampy underbrush to silently and cautiously backing away and hiding behind me, head down & tail tucked.

Meanwhile I'm all "motherf****er you're supposed to protect ME!"

- DSK

My problem is my 88lb Black GSD "puppy" (just turned 1 a couple of weeks ago) likes to chase game here in the desert.  His favorite on our walks in the desert is big jack rabbits.  It's not uncommon to scare up 3-4 rabbits in the hour daily walk.  And this dog is Fricken FAST!  Like greyhound fast.  The big desert jacks be like "oh fuck" and have to go into afterburner to lose him.  Puppy always comes back with a very satisfied look after literally being at a dead sprint for a good half mile.  Not long ago, we walked up on a coyote within about 10 ft who was napping in the shade under a big Yucca or Josua tree type bush.  At first both Dog and Coyote froze at as they both were deciding what to do.  Coyote was laying the ground, he popped up and started trotting away thinking it was no big deal.  GSD puppy OTOH decided it was GAME ON and lunged after him.  Puppy got within the 3 dog length zone and the yote took off at panic speed.  Despite my screaming for him to stop and come back, both disappeared out of sight.  As I'm now sprinting after them thinking fuck fuck fuck I hope the coyote doesn't stop and decide to turn and fight - puppy comes trotting back to me with a very satisfied look of "yeah, I let him go, take that biyatch".  I just worry that the GSD is just in play mode and likes the chase but the coyote (who was 1/3rd his size) is thinking its fight or die and despite the size difference would have the upper hand.   

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

BTW: Want to fuel your nightmares?  Polar Bears consider Grizzlies a light workout.  

Polar bears are the apex land predator - next to us.

Pin by Christine L on Far Side | The far side, Polar bear hunting, Bizarro  comic

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

While we’re talking Grizzlys:

We took one to an indoor range.  Middle of the week & midday to try and sneak a few rounds in.  LAR’s beat hell out of the backstops plus the & flash + roar?   Haha. Seen to be believed.  
 

First shot I took made me laugh out loud.   Muzzle blast the size of a pumpkin.  +P handloads to boot.   Very fine shooting piece.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, justsomeguy! said:

The bear was chasing a boar?

If you're not pulling my chain... the one with Grizzly bells on it... A male bear is referred to as a boar, a female is a sow. 

Hey, don't blame me - it's that damn English language again!  

As to Polar Bears; my Father took me into Weatherby's old gun store in South Gate, CA waaaaay back in the day. As soon as you walked through the doors, you were confronted by a world-record Polar Bear, rearing on its hind legs, with forelegs - and claws - spread wide. And a fanged snarl even more fearsome than a Nun's. Something like 12 feet high. Even as a mere pup (3-5?), that left a lasting mark.     

Link to post
Share on other sites

I sold some Northern BC/Alaska charts to a guy in Marina Del Rey. He was planning a trip there in his boat.

He asked "Should I bring my gun?"

I said "No, uh why?"

"Well to protect myself in these remote anchorages from bad people. And from bears".

He had not idea how "remote" northern BC and Alaska can be. I did ask him what sort of gun

"38 revolver"

I explained that would only upset the bear and not to bother. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Zonker said:

I sold some Northern BC/Alaska charts to a guy in Marina Del Rey. He was planning a trip there in his boat.

He asked "Should I bring my gun?"

I said "No, uh why?"

"Well to protect myself in these remote anchorages from bad people. And from bears".

He had not idea how "remote" northern BC and Alaska can be. I did ask him what sort of gun

"38 revolver"

I explained that would only upset the bear and not to bother. 

Image tagged in blazing saddles morons - Imgflip

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2021 at 12:21 PM, blunderfull said:

.454 snubby?     Yikes.   

I try really hard to keep my situational awareness at a level that keeps me from every needing lead to resolve an issue. For the 40 years I've been carrying, that has been successful. That gun is not meant for accuracy at more than about 6 feet. I can hit from farther, but that's how close the bear would be before I would pull the trigger. Just hold on and pray. The choice of that or playing dead and pray.  Both outcomes rely heavily on prayer!

 

WL

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, White Lightning2 said:

I try really hard to keep my situational awareness at a level that keeps me from every needing lead to resolve an issue. For the 40 years I've been carrying, that has been successful. That gun is not meant for accuracy at more than about 6 feet. I can hit from farther, but that's how close the bear would be before I would pull the trigger. Just hold on and pray. The choice of that or playing dead and pray.  Both outcomes rely heavily on prayer!

 

WL

.480 Ruger in the Alaskan that much of a difference?   Less recoil/more lead etc?

“Situational awareness”.     That’s saying it all.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Having logged around the central coast of British Columbia, and up to Alaska, I have seen lots of bears. Generally if you are quiet, and stay away from where they want to go, they will leave you alone. However, if they are scared for Cubs, or you approach one of their kills. They will let you know, sometimes with deadly intent. Black bears for the most part are less aggressive. Grizzly are more likely to stalk a human. Either way, unless you can shoot them from a long ways off, the bear will be arriving at about 40 miles an hour, and you won’t be able to get a round off, let alone get your shots into somewhere that will slow them down. Keep in mind that unless you are on a logging road or looking across a tidal flat, the sight distance is usually about 50 feet in thick under brush. Let me know how a hand gun works out for you…all that being said, they are magnificent animals to watch in the wild. They look fat and furry, until they run and then you see they are 100% muscle. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Where my son hikes in the mountains in Alberta Ca, the guides stopped advising on "bear bells" , the bears have figured out if you run at hikers they throw off thier backpack so they can run faster, lunch is always in the backpack. Bears think its a dinner bell. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, crankcall said:

Where my son hikes in the mountains in Alberta Ca, the guides stopped advising on "bear bells" , the bears have figured out if you run at hikers they throw off thier backpack so they can run faster, lunch is always in the backpack. Bears think its a dinner bell. 

Bears up at campgrounds @ Horseshoe Meadows ( 11k’) in the Sierras used to hide in bushes when they heard car coming to trailhead.  Campers drop gear off and head off to park etc.   Bears pounce on gear and shred away.   Buggers are clever.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, blunderfull said:

.480 Ruger in the Alaskan that much of a difference?   Less recoil/more lead etc?

“Situational awareness”.     That’s saying it all.

Why is it that any picture or story of a wild animal encounter brings out the ammo-sexual's stories of big "loads" and acting like assholes in the back country with off-leash dogs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Why is it that any picture or story of a wild animal encounter brings out the ammo-sexual's stories of big "loads" and acting like assholes in the back country with off-leash dogs.

I think folks contemplate personal protection in even unlikely extreme situations and want to stack the deck in their favor. I really don’t object to that approach or in the case of firearms as a choice discussions about what is the most effective firearm/ammunition. Personally I’ve not chosen a firearm, but bear encounters are less likely for me where I hike etc. I considered it a long time ago but have chosen bear spray as my defense along with awareness. I suppose that could change depending on locale. Awareness can be a false comfort though as things can pop up pretty quickly and visibility is very often limited by brush/vegetation. Frankly luck has a fair amount to do with avoidance as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Point Break said:

With bears things can go south pretty quick. 2 minute video and lucky bow Hunter. 

 

That double chinned fat fuck thinks he’s a hunter?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fakenews said:

That double chinned fat fuck thinks he’s a hunter?

Apparently he's prey.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2021 at 8:10 PM, Charlie Foxtrot said:

If I frequented where Popes shit, the Glock 20 Clown Gun would be on my hip.  Sixteen rounds of Buffalo Bore 10mm 220gr hard cast rounds (the equivalent of a .41 Magnum) would be the best I could do.   

BTW: Want to fuel your nightmares?  Polar Bears consider Grizzlies a light workout.  

ahh,  i see you're a man of culture,   I prefer the 180gr bullets, you can get more fps at the barrel   10mm, when you don't want to waste your ammo taking down a perp...

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Point Break said:

With bears things can go south pretty quick. 2 minute video and lucky bow Hunter. 

 

Was he hunting bear?  Or just happened to find one while hunting something else?  I can't imagine going after Bear with a bow.  It's along the lines of don't bring a knife to a gunfight...... Don't bring a bow to a Bear fight.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Burning Man said:

Was he hunting bear?  Or just happened to find one while hunting something else?  I can't imagine going after Bear with a bow.  It's along the lines of don't bring a knife to a gunfight...... Don't bring a bow to a Bear fight.

When I first saw this video while searching for info on bear protection while hiking as I planned lots more hiking in retirement…..the vid was posted by this guy. He must have sold it or something to this Junkedin outfit. In his original video he had comments in the post and I seem to remember he was not hunting bear but stumbled across this one while hunting some other critters. He said he had a sidearm but the bears charge after a slow seemingly uninterested approach did not leave him enough time to get the sidearm out. 
 

Thats the way I remember it anyway…….it was a number of years ago. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Aron Snyder.  Bow Hunter Deluxe

 

83807773-1BEA-46A5-B978-0F30549AAC26.jpeg
 

Any animal that eats it own young and, 30-40% of deer/moose fawn?  Fair game for hunters.  Cull the old boars and give them a better end than what inevitably happens to them.

 

Cam Hanes, John Dudley, Steven Rinella and Aron Snyder have plenty to add to any discussion of bears and the hunt for same.

  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Burning Man said:

Was he hunting bear?  Or just happened to find one while hunting something else?  I can't imagine going after Bear with a bow.  It's along the lines of don't bring a knife to a gunfight...... Don't bring a bow to a Bear fight.

Pussy

1-truecausesfo.jpg

-MY- ancestors killed bears with a rock tied to the end of a stick. Big, pissed-off bears that would keep a grizzly as a pet, like a chihuahua.

- DSK

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

ahh,  i see you're a man of culture,   I prefer the 180gr bullets, you can get more fps at the barrel   10mm, when you don't want to waste your ammo taking down a perp...

My wife would heartily dispute that allegation.

It's been so long since I fired the abomination, that I'm not sure what's alongside it.  Prolly 200gr Buffalo Bore rounds.  Now, they've come out with their 220gr Dino-Killers...  May have to upgrade.  Don't want to give a gator an even chance.  As for social work, my days of controlled-pairs with 40s is long past, I'm now firmly in the Wonder-9 camp.   

As to the bow hunter: he wasn't using the broadhead arrow heads usually used for large game. Those arrowheads have three razor sharp tines(sp?) designed to penetrate and cause a rapid loss of blood. He had a spear-point arrowhead and was probably after rabbits or some such. And good on him; even us fat, old fucks need to get into the field.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, justsomeguy! said:

Is that your appellation or his?

It’s mine.   AS seems pretty humble for a man of his skill.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, blunderfull said:

Aron Snyder.  Bow Hunter Deluxe

 

83807773-1BEA-46A5-B978-0F30549AAC26.jpeg
 

Any animal that eats it own young and, 30-40% of deer/moose fawn?  Fair game for hunters.  Cull the old boars and give them a better end than what inevitably happens to them.

 

Cam Hanes, John Dudley, Steven Rinella and Aron Snyder have plenty to add to any discussion of bears and the hunt for same.

did he shoot it on the ground or was he up in a tree?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, justsomeguy! said:

Yeah, he's on Instagram.

'Nuff said.

Touche.

 

He’s CEO of an outfitters biz.  Promo’s a good thing on that platform.

You listen to him about his backstory ( alky old man, bar fights, booze and on) his rise out of small town rural life has good inspirational values for some.

On top of that he ditched the rifle for the bow and wants to push the full-on bow hunting approach to hunting.  He trains hard, shoots lots and hunts.   He’s a mountain man.   Throwback culture.   I’m good with that.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't help feeling there are a lot of animals out there dying a slow death with an arrow sticking out of them.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I can't help feeling there are a lot of animals out there dying a slow death with an arrow sticking out of them.

Probably one or two, and that's horrible. Bow hunters are supposed to not take shots that are not certain, and all hunters are supposed to be diligent in following and finishing any animal they've shot.

In this community, we have an annual deer hunt that is for bow hunters only due to the closeness of residences. Our deer are small but they're tough. I don't know of any shot deer that didn't drop within 20~30 yards of where they were shot. Resident don't like arrows sticking out of deer carcasses in their yard.

I did not like black powder or bow hunting, although I kept my fiberglass crossbow.

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I can't help feeling there are a lot of animals out there dying a slow death with an arrow sticking out of them.

It happens, but probably a lot less than you think. Most sportsman hunters (bow and riflemen) I've met consider themselves ethical hunters, and decry wounding an animal. One story had a hunter searching for a buck he wounded for 2 days before finding the deep
thicket where the deer died only hours after the shot. It obviously still shook the hunter. Others have employed professional trackers to find a wounded animal. 

Mother Nature also wounds and doesn't kill. Outside St Loo, we had a doe with a broken leg and a torn haunch in our yard. Obviously, some predator didn't finish its attack.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

It happens, but probably a lot less than you think. Most sportsman hunters (bow and riflemen) I've met consider themselves ethical hunters, and decry wounding an animal. One story had a hunter searching for a buck he wounded for 2 days before finding the deep
thicket where the deer died only hours after the shot. It obviously still shook the hunter. Others have employed professional trackers to find a wounded animal. 

Mother Nature also wounds and doesn't kill. Outside St Loo, we had a doe with a broken leg and a torn haunch in our yard. Obviously, some predator didn't finish its attack.  

I use to work with a bunch of "big bad" bow hunters who would come in every Monday during season and talk about the deer they shot but couldn't find.  Some of them resorted to using illegal "pod" poison.  Or the guy that would shoot black bears out of a tree with a pistol after they were chased up there by dogs while they sat around a fire drinking.  I fucking hate people sometimes.  You want to cull old bears, do it humanely, don't stick them with a razor blade that cuts them with every movement as they try to run away from you.

Sorry, spent 40 years working with "hunters" who rarely even ate what they shot.  Shit, one guy had a baby giraffe (along with probably 50 other "exotic" animals)  "trophy" in his office.  Just got sick of listening to them.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites