Starts tomorrow. Go the Dragon!

• Like 1

no. our very own RailMeat. 

• Like 1

That was one foggy start!  At least they have decent breeze for now.  Looks like uphill and up current all the way. They are going to earn that D&S

Looks to me like rhumb line for the first couple days, then start heading east of the rhumbline  so that you miss the west side of the lull as it moves through.  You'll be close reaching for 2 days, then a beat for the last couple in lighter winds trying to avoid the completely dead area that'll be passing over bermuda.  My paint skills are pretty poor, but you get the idea.

image.png.98bfc21c89419f638987b7e874678838.png

2 hours ago, Grrr... said:

Looks to me like rhumb line for the first couple days, then start heading east of the rhumbline  so that you miss the west side of the lull as it moves through.  You'll be close reaching for 2 days, then a beat for the last couple in lighter winds trying to avoid the completely dead area that'll be passing over bermuda.  My paint skills are pretty poor, but you get the idea.

image.png.98bfc21c89419f638987b7e874678838.png

What polars are you using?

I say go west now, stay west because there will be no wind east of Bermuda come Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. Of course not for the Class 40's.

BTW where are the Mini 650's? Do they have a bigger badder race to do?

1 hour ago, rmgeis said:

BTW where are the Mini 650's? Do they have a bigger badder race to do?

Yep, La Tansat en Double which finished last week. 

Well done Mr Meat

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m currently anchored in Convict Bay, St. George’s Harbor. I watched the boats start the return leg at noon ( a staggered start according to class) and sail through The Cut headed out to sea. I will include one picture of Dragon as she is headed out to the line but I have others on my other camera to download. 
They had winds in the low 20’s so everyone was hauling ass at the start. F727CC8C-FBC6-40E8-9D27-79333DF38BE8.thumb.jpeg.7154c327fb1b67fdbd2024c3a2f93a49.jpeg

from the NYC race log: “6/17 The rain/thunder stroms went north and south of us so we had a sunny day with winds out of the southwest 16 to 20 kts. … Not long after (the start) we heard Bermuda Radio hail Dragon, Gryphon Solo and Kiwi Spirit 2 that they were heading toward the reaf and to turn east, now.  Dragon actually went over the reef.  Sounds like a change to the SIs is called for in 2023.”

Not visible on the tracker. At the speed they were probably going, its fortunate noboby hit.

Orion Jim - Do you have any pictures of Corvus, the Morris 36 ? This was my return ride, also had friends on Highlander, a Tartan 3500. This was my 4th 1-2 (and 5 Newport Bermda's) and they are never the same. The sprit and comradrie amongst the competitors in the B 1-2 is second to none and becomes an addictive lure. 

This year there were a couple of young guys that did the race on Topaz,  a Hobie, of questionable condition for their first ever offshore race. Their boat had "history" in the race by a previous owner, he had done it twice with one demasting. These guys ended up being smart, resourceful, capable, where positive and an absolute blast to talk to during the times we were close enough for VHF comms during the race. We docked next to them at the Newport Yacht Club for immigration and got a, cough....tour of the boat. I think the dumpster behind the club was cleaner and drier.

BTW - met you at Spicers Marina with the owner of Impresssions while i was working on our Intepid powerboat.