What single person has sailed around ‘Cape Horn’ the most?

I'm sure it would be a clipper ship captain that did it every year. Or maybe the ones going to SF during the Gold Rush. Multiple voyages

• Like 2

Which way?

For me only east to west counts, from 50 to 50 South, non stop and under sail only.

Maybe Captain Irving Johnson, this is the classic one:

58 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Captain Jack Sparrow...! By the way where is he...................................????? :D

Him twice, the "easy" way, actually.

And BTW, why don't you stop that childish passive/active Ozzie hate posting? 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Which way?

For me only east to west counts, from 50 to 50 South, non stop and under sail only.

Maybe Captain Irving Johnson, this is the classic one:

Awesome.

38 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Skip Novak?

Maybe, apart from 4 Whitbread's he has probably chalked up quite a few more, including east-west ones.

Wouldn't call them daytrips though, as they usually include Antartica!

Interesting podcast with him here, believe they also talked about The Horn, IIRC.

https://poddtoppen.se/podcast/1545373919/off-watch-the-ocean-race-podcast/36-from-whitbread-races-to-ice-adventures-with-skip-novak

• Like 1
1 hour ago, drm_ovl said:

Well, if we assume a rounding in a "race setting" then Bouwe Bekking might be a contender with at least 9 

Impressive. I think Nico had been past 4 or 5 times as well.

12 minutes ago, DamnSkippy said:

Looks like a tie between Bouwe and Stu Bannatynes with 9 each. I guess Bouwer could take the lead w/ this years Ocean Race

For sure Stu will do the southern legs as well in the next edition; if not with NZ Ocean Racing, then with Akzo or Sailing Poland 

Posted (edited)

Maybe Dominique Wavre too ? 7 finished RTW races (4 vendee + 3 whitbread/volvo), plus BWR 2011 (dismasted but it was back in Atlantic).
I read somewhere that Vendee 2013 was his ninth in race setting but can't find the last one.

Edit : 10 times according to https://thedailysail.com/offshore/13/63933/0/dominique-wavre-takes-seventh-place-in-the-2012-3-vendee-globe

Edited by Meric
add info
  • Like 2

I'm going to throw in Loick Peyron, I couldn't find how many times hes been around but ill bet its up there.

• Like 1

Good evening,

"Rounding Cape Horn".

To be a rounding of Cape Horn, the sailor have to sail South through latitude 50 degrees South on one side of South America, sail south around Cape Horn and head North on the other side of South America, to pass through latitude 50 degrees South heading North. This passage must be done non-stop and is known as Doubling the Horn.

Therefore sailors sit and wait for a weather window and who head around Cape Horn from ports in the Patagonian Channels are only considered to be visiting Cape Horn, or to have sailed to Cape Horn. Same goes for those who head down past Cape Horn to the Antarctic Peninsula.

The chaps who wait and chose their weather and hop onto beach cats or kayaks and quickly nip around The Cape have definitely not rounded Cape Horn in the true sense either.

My own trip down to visit Cape Horn was on a flat calm day. We had to motor around and with the perfect weather of the day, nudged in below the lighthouse for a quick run ashore to the lighthouse and the monument.

A leading offshore sailor once said the only way to qualify is to set out from New Zealand or somewhere like Aus in the West and run down the longitudes and take your chances with the weather.

I think Jean Le Cam would also be on the short list.

Regards.

• Like 4

None of the racers will have as many Cape Horn rounding as the Lairds, or any of the Pelagic crew. The Lairds were running trips to Antarctica for 17 years, and there are plenty of other sailors plying their trade in that area.

As far as racers go, I would have thought Dominic Wavre then Bouwe with the likes of Stu Bannatyne, , Dee Caffari,  and Capey close behind. 

17 hours ago, Potter said:

None of the racers will have as many Cape Horn rounding as the Lairds, or any of the Pelagic crew. The Lairds were running trips to Antarctica for 17 years, and there are plenty of other sailors plying their trade in that area.

As far as racers go, I would have thought Dominic Wavre then Bouwe with the likes of Stu Bannatyne, , Dee Caffari,  and Capey close behind. 

Good evening,

As I said in my post above, voyages to Cape Horn such as those done by the Lairds and Pelagic and cruisers starting from the Patagonian channels are not considered to be a Rounding of Cape Horn. Skip Novak has said so himself on the Pelagic website. I was crew on a yacht which cruised the Patagonian Channels, down to Caleta Martial, then further down to sail around Cape Horn and back to Puerto Williams. I do not consider myself to have Rounded Cape Horn. I have sailed to it.

Regards.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, trisail said:

Good evening,

As I said in my post above, voyages to Cape Horn such as those done by the Lairds and Pelagic and cruisers starting from the Patagonian channels are not considered to be a Rounding of Cape Horn. Skip Novak has said so himself on the Pelagic website. I was crew on a yacht which cruised the Patagonian Channels, down to Caleta Martial, then further down to sail around Cape Horn and back to Puerto Williams. I do not consider myself to have Rounded Cape Horn. I have sailed to it.

Regards.

You must have wonderful stories though 

12 hours ago, drm_ovl said:

You must have wonderful stories though 

Yep, I do.

Patagonia and the Channels are beautiful and wild.

The pics below:

Approaching Isla Hornos from the Northwest. A different view.

Chose a calm day like this and little Johnny can sail his Optimist past the Cape. A Rounding of Cape Horn, definitely not.

Regards.

327695223_cabodehornos249.jpg

cabo de hornos 288.jpg

• Like 2

According to Irving Johnson and other historical accounts, PEKING's captain in 1929, Capt. Jurgen Jurs, rounded Cape Horn 66 times under sail alone, 55 as captain.

jurgen jurs.jpg

• Like 6
21 hours ago, sleddog said:

According to Irving Johnson and other historical accounts, PEKING's captain in 1929, Capt. Jurgen Jurs, rounded Cape Horn 66 times under sail alone, 55 as captain.

jurgen jurs.jpg

There's a great youtube documentary on a rounding on Peking cool old footage and narration. 

12 minutes ago, Blitz said:

There's a great youtube documentary on a rounding on Peking cool old footage and narration. 

You mean the one I posted in the 3rd post, the Irving Johnson one?

• Like 1

My great-uncle Ashton, who was a ship's carpenter on Cape Horner square riggers before and after the Great War. Family joke that Ashton had been around the Horn more times that he could remember, but never visited the Calf of Man, which was just 4 miles from the village.

I cherish the few of his wood-working tools of which I'm the custodian (and are still in use).

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 6/7/2021 at 3:41 AM, Fiji Bitter said:

Maybe, apart from 4 Whitbread's he has probably chalked up quite a few more, including east-west ones.

Wouldn't call them daytrips though, as they usually include Antartica!

Interesting podcast with him here, believe they also talked about The Horn, IIRC.

https://poddtoppen.se/podcast/1545373919/off-watch-the-ocean-race-podcast/36-from-whitbread-races-to-ice-adventures-with-skip-novak

Nice walkthrough with Skip showing his new boat.

• Like 4
13 hours ago, robalex117 said:

she was berthed just across from us at HYS on the Hamble for a could of weeks .... looked SOLID!

19 hours ago, robalex117 said:

That is some boat!

I know it's heavy but it looked like it could tip along nicely.

• 2 weeks later...

John Sanders did a few laps. 

• Like 2

Jean Luc Van den Heede rounded the Horn against the wind  during his last circumnavigation, aged of 73 !

Vendée globe and other west to east racers or recorders are little players compared to  him.

3 hours ago, patzefran said:

Jean Luc Van den Heede rounded the Horn against the wind  during his last circumnavigation, aged of 73 !

Vendée globe and other west to east racers or recorders are little players compared to  him.

His last rounding was West to East, but he's definitely gone the other way too.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2021 at 3:58 AM, trisail said:

Good evening,

Regards.

I like honest people