30-40 feet Cat for weekends in the archipelago?

Hi!

Im considering buying a sailing cat for weekends up to one week trips primarily in the archipelago of Stockholm and along the coast but also maybe shorter trips around nothern europe. So no big bluewater crusier but something lightweight with good upwind and light air performance. Preferably three cabins. Just trying to browse the internet for now but I mostly come across big cats for ocean crossings and extended cruises. So any tips? Lightwind performance is top priority but also need to be comfy for the wife and small kids. Budget maybe 100-200 k €

4 hours ago, Zonker said:

TRT 1200 might be available in your area?

That's on my list of cool boats I would sail.  Fast, open bridge deck.  Hard to find great info on them as they are a little less common.  Some older youtube videos floating around.   Actually, I had not checked youtube in a while and it looks like one channel (TRT1200 ragebul) has posted some more recent vids.

Yes that could work! Will look into TRT. Have considered a trimaran but I would like to have more space below. In general would a tri be better upwind compared to a cat with dagger boards?

Is there standing headroom under the boom on a TRT?  I see some with biminis so I was wondering about that. It doesn't fit all of your criteria but a Lagoon 380 is worth looking at, especially an owners version. Your wife would love it.

15 hours ago, Sand crab said:

but a Lagoon 380 is worth looking at, especially an owners version.

On 6/7/2021 at 3:47 AM, MantisShrimp said:

something lightweight with good upwind and light air performance

A Lagoon 380 fails in all those categories, except for Soma's friend who somehow manages to sail one decently.

Really only daggerboard cats can sail upwind decently. Shallow low aspect keels just allow so much leeway. If you saw one on a monohull you would laugh but but nobody does when it is a cruising catamaran. Somewhere there is a market for decent deeper keels on a catamaran. If the Lagoon had fixed 2m draft keels it would sail upwind better. Shallow draft isn't everything. 

Here is a 380 VPP. In 10 knots of wind (somewhat light wind), it is doing 5 knots at best VMG to windward!  Yay, not a total slug.

Unfortunately it is at an angle of about 57 degrees. :o

image.png.262aae3cb663ac2420bbe281ef2c03da.png

17 minutes ago, Zonker said:

A Lagoon 380 fails in all those categories, except for Soma's friend who somehow manages to sail one decently.

Really only daggerboard cats can sail upwind decently. Shallow low aspect keels just allow so much leeway. If you saw one on a monohull you would laugh but but nobody does when it is a cruising catamaran. Somewhere there is a market for decent deeper keels on a catamaran. If the Lagoon had fixed 2m draft keels it would sail upwind better. Shallow draft isn't everything. 

Here is a 380 VPP. In 10 knots of wind (somewhat light wind), it is doing 5 knots at best VMG to windward!  Yay, not a total slug.

Unfortunately it is at an angle of about 57 degrees. :o

image.png.262aae3cb663ac2420bbe281ef2c03da.png

I read that as 5kts of boat speed, but only 2.5kts VMG?!

On 6/8/2021 at 8:14 AM, BeatmongerZ said:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2001/trt-1200-cr-3831234/

I'd open up the bridgedeck cabin like the one in Maryland has done.  these boats are pretty cavelike. 

although if upwind is a priority a Corsair 36 would be better.  if upwind and 3 cabins, then a mono :(

I have sailed on this one. I prefer the GT version - and have a good soft-top on it. It can go upwind with a Corsair 36 - but as a cat I think they are scarier to sail in hard conditions upwind - a tri gives better feeling.  Space - the TRT has a lot - and its a very fast boat - some would consider them overpowered. Mast, rudders , daggers - all carbon. There is GT versions for sale here in Norway - contact me if interested. Also a friend - thats is also the manager of the basic TRT project - and still have the fastert around - did a survey on this one recently - I can get you in contact with him too. For the budget you can get one TRT pay the tax no problem.  

• 2 weeks later...

Yep Zonk it fails those categories you listed but the Lagoon 380 does fit the comfy category for the wife and small kids and the price range of the OP.

So, is there standing headroom under the boom with bimini of a TRT?

2 hours ago, Sand crab said:

Yep Zonk it fails those categories you listed but the Lagoon 380 does fit the comfy category for the wife and small kids and the price range of the OP.

So, is there standing headroom under the boom with bimini of a TRT?

I’m 6’4” and have no problem standing under the Bimini on our TRT but I’m guessing they were all a little different.