Barient 25 winch service

I previously posted in J Boat Anarchy, and I was able to take winch apart, replace springs, clean pawls, apply 3 in one oil and clean gears with kerosene, dry and apply very light coating of winch grease. After re assembly, the winch still turns in both directions when rotated by hand. The winch rotates clockwise and makes a clicking sound as it should. The winch will rotate counter clockwise when turned by hand and the winch handle will rotate. I'm guessing the pawls are shot, but before I undergo the time and expense of another re assembly, I defer to those more knowledgeable than I. The kit I purchased was from lewmar and contained four springs for $49.00. I did NOT purchase from lewmar and do not want to implicate anyone for charging too much. I just don't know if I should simply buy new cabin top winches (not sure if lewmar bolt pattern matches barient) or if I should continue down this road. Thanks in advance for any help.

Just a guess, but unless you saw a LOT of wear, like the pawls falling out of the slots, it's a reassembly issue. Either grease on the pawls somehow that got them sticky, or the springs aren't lined up right.

And fisheries supply carries lewmar springs for a bit of $2/each.  Sorry

Pull the drum and give us pics of the rest.

As I recall the 25 is a 2 speed so it should rotate both ways but obviously not freewheel

• Like 1

Thank you. I'll take pics when I get back to boat this weekend. Winch did get a lot of use. It's a J35 previously raced by the Coast Guard Academy.

I used 3 in 1 oil on springs and pawls, not winch grease. The pawls were doing what they were supposed to be doing when I installed inside the gear. If the spring is not installed correctly, the pawl does not compress correctly and cannot be installed. 

37 minutes ago, Tack nazi said:

I used 3 in 1 oil on springs and pawls, not winch grease. The pawls were doing what they were supposed to be doing when I installed inside the gear. If the spring is not installed correctly, the pawl does not compress correctly and cannot be installed. 

Freely turning is what makes us think something is causing the pawls to stick. If the winch was shot, it wouldn't have worked before the maintenance. There's not much that can be wrong. Pawl sticking, something with the spring or grease or something.

Or the mating surface of the ratchet is worn out. But, as mentioned, that would've shown up before the maintenance. 

Winch did not work before maintenance. That is why I thought it was springs. It did the same thing before I tore it down, which is why I'm questioning whether I should try replacing pawls. Sorry that I was not more clear as to before and after scenario.

On Barient winches there are a couple of things that might be going wrong.

1 - the springs are "handed". There's a little kink in the wire that allows the spring to sit into the groove properly. Make sure that the kink is facing the right way.

2 - If the pawl holder is worn, the pawls can slide a little and this allows them to present a non-tangential contact surface to the gear, which could allow them to slip.

3 - Like everyone else said - grease on the pawls

Other than this, they are pretty foolproof. Since the shaft can be held with a winch handle when the drum is off, you could try turning the winch both ways while jamming the output gear with a flat bladed screwdriver. That will give you a clue which of the ratchets is the culprit.

I made pawl springs when I couldn't get some for my old Barients.. Just bought some s.s. spring wire, wrapped around the correct size pencil, bend legs with a plier, cut with diagonal cutters. Super easy. Went around the world.

• Like 1

I ordered 20 pawl springs from the outfit I linked above in Oz.  They sent me a bag of 100 or so.  It took another 30 years to get through them all but eventually we did. Racing is cruel on pawl springs even with a boat-wide "no ratcheting winches" rule.

14 hours ago, Rain Man said:

I ordered 20 pawl springs from the outfit I linked above in Oz.  They sent me a bag of 100 or so.  It took another 30 years to get through them all but eventually we did. Racing is cruel on pawl springs even with a boat-wide "no ratcheting winches" rule.

Hmmmm - we race consistently throughout the year and I didn't even know that "no ratcheting" was a thing. Even so, it's very rare that we break a spring. I strip the 4 (Barient) winches down and put everything in the parts cleaner (ziplock full of diesel, bath of hot water, zap for 15 minutes) once a year - valentines day or thereabouts - the same time that I switch my septic system leach fields. I'd say I get a broken spring in the bottom of the ziplock once every couple of years - so, 4 winches, 4 springs, 2 years = 32 years to have replaced all of the springs once. Probably a small bag would see you through a lifetime or two. I also oil the pawls and re-grease before the BBS (September). That cadence seems to work pretty well and I have not had any winch failures on the race course. 

7 minutes ago, Wet Spreaders said:

Hmmmm - we race consistently throughout the year and I didn't even know that "no ratcheting" was a thing. Even so, it's very rare that we break a spring. I strip the 4 (Barient) winches down and put everything in the parts cleaner (ziplock full of diesel, bath of hot water, zap for 15 minutes) once a year - valentines day or thereabouts - the same time that I switch my septic system leach fields. I'd say I get a broken spring in the bottom of the ziplock once every couple of years - so, 4 winches, 4 springs, 2 years = 32 years to have replaced all of the springs once. Probably a small bag would see you through a lifetime or two. I also oil the pawls and re-grease before the BBS (September). That cadence seems to work pretty well and I have not had any winch failures on the race course. 

No ratcheting saved both springs and pawls.  If you allow ratcheting, are you not finding the edges/corners of the pawls wearing off over time?  We had to replace the pawls every 4-5 years as well.

Some of my winches were Arco copies of Barients, which may explain the high wear we were getting.

1 minute ago, Rain Man said:

No ratcheting saved both springs and pawls.  If you allow ratcheting, are you not finding the edges/corners of the pawls wearing off over time?  We had to replace the pawls every 4-5 years as well.

Some of my winches were Arco copies of Barients, which may explain the high wear we were getting.

I'm not sure I understand "No ratcheting"???

2 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

I'm not sure I understand "No ratcheting"???

Ratcheting is holding the handle on one side of the winch and sheeting in by moving it forward and backward, changing from one gear to another on a two speed winch.  We didn't allow this - only full rotations of the winch handle were allowed in one gear or the other.

Ratcheting is often used on single speed winches.

2 minutes ago, Rain Man said:

Ratcheting is holding the handle on one side of the winch and sheeting in by moving it forward and backward, changing from one gear to another on a two speed winch.  We didn't allow this - only full rotations of the winch handle were allowed in one gear or the other.

Ratcheting is often used on single speed winches.

Thanks

yeah, we’re 2 and 3 speed winches so don’t do much of that….

10 minutes ago, Rain Man said:

I bought the boat in 2003 when it was 10 years old and I have never replaced any pawls.

1 minute ago, Wet Spreaders said:

I bought the boat in 2003 when it was 10 years old and I have never replaced any pawls.

What brand of winches?

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Wet Spreaders said:

I have replaced two ratchet gears. Both cracked, both on the internal gear of the jib halyard winch. We leave the halyard on the winch upwind and the load is being carried by the winch, not the clutch. Arco provided spare parts in a couple of weeks. - SF Bay conditions

Edited by Wet Spreaders
More information

On some Barient winches it is possible to assemble with the inner or outer ratchet wheel "upside-down". Affects operation. Ask me how I know.