Whose your favorite source for Dacron sails?

Looking to get a Dacron jib made for my J/35. Local sailmakers seem to be too busy.

What's your favorite online source?

Sent them a request for a quote - thanks Mid.

Anyone else have recommendations? 

23 minutes ago, SEC16518 said:

Dacron jib on a J/35?  I think I just threw up in my mouth....

meh.... I wouldn't put a dacron genoa on mine, but a well built dacron #3 isn't gonna hurt anything. 

save a little money and put it into #1 or a kite or a new main... I had a kevlar panel cut triradial #3 built for mine instead of a molded sail. Saved me 2k on a sail not much bigger than a kingsize bedsheet to begin with. 10 years later that sail still wouldn't cost me any lost time around a race course. 

On 6/8/2021 at 5:14 PM, Tyson0317 said:

Looking to get a Dacron jib made for my J/35. Local sailmakers seem to be too busy.

What's your favorite online source?

Most of them are "online' anyway aren't they?  Even some 'local' sail makers get the material delivered already cut somewhere else.

The rolly tasker guy here just has a chat and does a check measure that for a production boat is not really required anyway.

Then they are built in Asia.

EDIT: but love a nice new dacron sail.  They feel like 'real' sails whether they are faster or not.

@SEC16518- I am looking for something to use in practicing, fun sails and cruising. We have an awesome carbon #3 (a #1 and a main too), but they wear out and are quite pricey! My boat came with a dacron main and #1, both marked 2007 and they both held up super well (just too heavy and cruising-cut to be competitive). 

@silent bobI know those guys well - good guys! I've got 8 sails from them over the past 6 years and a total of $45,385.84 spent. I sent in a request for this jib a year ago with a request for a bid and never got one - covid maybe? I pinged Alex a week ago and haven't heard back. I think they must be too busy.

Tyson, if you're just looking for a fuckaround sail, ya might even look into the used sail market for something the same size-ish to yer #3. 

@Bump-n-Grind where does one find used sails? And how can I ensure that the rope built into the luff will fit my current foil setup - or are these standard?

Bacons in Annapolis usually has something that would work as a #3 on a 35. If you know the size of your headfoil slot, they'll know the size of the bolt rope on their sails. Know your luff length, and foot length .. check their website, then call them and inquire about any specific sails you find. 

in the meantime, don't weld anything ;)

I just took them a big pile of old kites, a #1 that would cruise for a couple years, a delivery main and an almost new 3dl main... I think the 3dl had about 5 races on it when I ordered a dacron main. it's been rolledup in my air conditioned basement every since.  They're so backed up, those sails wont hit their website for months. 

1 hour ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

in the meantime, don't weld anything ;)

came here for this....was not disappointed

• Like 1

@Bump-n-Grind You guys are like a bunch of old elephants!

When I got the boat (going on 8 years ago now...) it was the biggest sailboat I'd ever been on. Much of the hardware was unfamiliar to me. I crewed on a '36 for 2 years (yes, a foot longer, but didn't have nearly as much 'big-boy' hardware) but the skipper was a screaming dick and didn't teach us anything despite the fact that I was there literally every single week - we sailed in the snow!! But during that whole time, set the kite only twice. I was never moved from the jib winches where the only things I learned were, "grind", "ease" and "blow". The basic mechanics of leads, cars, winches are all simple. But realizing how to use them in concert, what each one is capable of doing to the sail shape in conjunction with others, was a big learning curve as was the concept of sail shape, really. I am a first generation immigrant from a land-locked country and I didn't go to a private school with a sailing class - I grew up on food stamps and Section 8 - this did not come naturally. 

I don't think @Great White will ever fully realize how helpful his visit to my boat and the subsequent invitation to crew on his was to me! Just by live observation, things clicked for me that would have probably taken months and years to figure out. 

That said - I will admit that I did not fully understand the design of the windward sheeting car when I took the thing apart. It was corroded, cleat bearings blown, the releasing rods stuck and worst of all the bolts holding the cleats in stripped out of their holes. I still contend that the design of the thing is stupid. Something that costs $1500 should not have a critical load point depend on a thread in a 2mm thick stainless sheet metal hole. The thing should have been reinforced to give the bolts some threads to hold. Retrofitting this reinforcement by welding closed the stripped out holes and then building up more material before re-threading, meant that the pins which release the jaws would no longer align. Meh - the thing never worked well anyway and I would rather have a functional cleat on my main car than a wonky auto-release. 

Despite all the crap you guys give me (SEVEN F'n YEARS LATER) I still stand by the validity of that repair. 

And Bump, despite your smartass comments, I do highly appreciate the time you take to answer my stupid questions ;-)

• 1 month later...

you find a sail yet?