Chris Bertish Foundation - Transpac Wing Project

my neighbor has done some photo and video work for Chris in the lead up to his leaving from half moon bay on tuesday 6.8.21 on a solo wing foil transpac in a foiling open ocean vessel.

chris' foundation mission and story is here https://chrisbertishfoundation.org/

wing project w/tracker here: https://chrisbertishfoundation.org/wing-project/

photo courtesy of quin o'hara

wing1.thumb.jpg.a0ee3a2f31bb244d42e45b046251fd35.jpg

I was going to say "Can we just start a pool on how far he gets before USCG rescues him? "

But then I read he paddled a sort of giant SUP across the Atlantic. Or he slept a lot and let the trade winds carry him but that's just me being cynical.

"Bertish averaged 43 miles (69 km) a day".  1.5 knots average. Yeah, that's a sort of drifting speed.

Ever been in an inflatable boat when the engine dies and the wind is blowing? 

Then I just read a research paper of a bunch of leeway studies of floating objects. In 20 knots wind, an unballasted raft was around 1.2-1.6 knots drift speed.  Keep that in mind if you ever have to search for a liferaft. Sport boats (I think small power boats) were around 1.2-1.3 knots.

image.png.25f87c429532a0ec8cb265ec4d1a9f1f.png 

. Not sure why the self steering gear and the rudder.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Zonker said:

Then I just read a research paper of a bunch of leeway studies of floating objects. In 20 knots wind, an unballasted raft was around 1.2-1.6 knots drift speed.  Keep that in mind if you ever have to search for a liferaft.

I haven't really kept up, but it used to be that most liferafts were ballasted (specifically to reduce wind drift, I think). Is that no longer the case?

10 hours ago, Zonker said:

I was going to say "Can we just start a pool on how far he gets before USCG rescues him? "

But then I read he paddled a sort of giant SUP across the Atlantic. Or he slept a lot and let the trade winds carry him but that's just me being cynical.

"Bertish averaged 43 miles (69 km) a day".  1.5 knots average. Yeah, that's a sort of drifting speed.

Ever been in an inflatable boat when the engine dies and the wind is blowing? 

Then I just read a research paper of a bunch of leeway studies of floating objects. In 20 knots wind, an unballasted raft was around 1.2-1.6 knots drift speed.  Keep that in mind if you ever have to search for a liferaft. Sport boats (I think small power boats) were around 1.2-1.3 knots.

image.png.25f87c429532a0ec8cb265ec4d1a9f1f.png 

. Not sure why the self steering gear and the rudder.

it's the same "boat". Calling it a SUP was a stretch of the imagination, just like calling this craft foiling might sound cool but not that accurate. I could put a rotor on my car and say it's a helicopter but it won't fly. In the same way I don't think using an inflatable wing to go dead downwind is what it's designed for. put on optimist rig on the boat and you'd probably get there quicker.

I'm a skeptic of this, not because I think it's impossible - (it's drifting and there are plenty of people doing it), but because I think he's a really skilled waterman and this is just a glorified liferaft. (read this account of cali to hawaii in 55 days to see how it's been done before)

I'm also not a fan of the way charities are used as the reason to fund expeditions, (you come off looking like the bad guy if you're critical of it). R430k got crowdfunded (~$30k) on this one, the money for charities comes later. But things like a hydrogenerator were on the shopping list. 

My opinion on this is not popular, and I'm just a regular outdoors guy who drives a desk he is actually going for it. I do hope he makes it and anyone raising ocean pollution awareness is to be applauded. I just don't get the hype and the marketing spin grates me. The transatlantic was supposed to be to florida, but he got blown off course so ended it in Antigua. Even though it's 1200nm off course I guess that's still a win.

1 minute ago, h20man said:

@shebeen  the survival raft drifting is impressive... but   Ed Gillet did it in 1987 using an off the shelf kayak amazing story:

https://secureservercdn.net/198.71.233.138/30z.7c8.myftpupload.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Gillet-doing-a-test-run-the-day-before-he-launched-for-Hawaii.jpg

yes. there was already another thread on this and this amazing story came up.

Don't know how he got into the kayak with balls that big!

for a little country at the bottom end of Africa we definitely punch above our weight in expeditioning. 2 that come to mind with a sailing slant are

Ant Steward - solo around the world in an open boat 

and then Mike horn who lists a lot of sailing now in his later years

http://kickasstrips.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/100000257-preview-mike-horn-a-t-lu-sportif-mondial-de-l-ann-e-2001.jpg

https://kickasstrips.com/2014/05/latitude-zero-mike-horns-humanpowered-circumnavigation-of-the-globe-at-the-equator/

9 hours ago, mckenzie.keith said:

I haven't really kept up, but it used to be that most liferafts were ballasted (specifically to reduce wind drift, I think). Is that no longer the case?

The research paper had drift values for both unballasted rafts (fast drift; most similar to a SUP) and ballasted rafts at about 0.4 knots.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, h20man said:

Looking at Chris's web page it almost looks like a different craft from the other angle...

He is calling it a Wingfoil crossing? 

I guess. The wing + (board with a foil) is usually called a wingfoil.

On 6/11/2021 at 6:06 PM, Zonker said:

I guess. The wing + (board with a foil) is usually called a wingfoil.

I get the board with foil.. Saw the pict on his page.. just saying it looks (to my untrained eyes) completely different from the vessel that is shown leaving SF.

Chris is a friend. There is a method to his madness. The foils are to provide some lift, not foil.

He paddled to Antigua sans help whilst out in the ocean.

I can tell you he's a frigging athlete of note. He's also won Mavericks.

One thing I can tell you, he truly cares about the well being of the ocean.

3 hours ago, mpenman said:

Chris is a friend. There is a method to his madness. The foils are to provide some lift, not foil.

so where is he pooping?

On 6/13/2021 at 2:06 AM, mpenman said:

cool.

I know he got to Antigua. Thing is he was aiming for Florida, about 1200nm off course. You can call it SUPing, but we all know it's drifting.

Same thing here with "foiling". if you really think his foils are providing his ~700kg? craft with lift at 2/3kts SOG, going maybe 1kt through the water then that's great. Even the Easter bunny can see they are just providing stability and drag, 

It blows my mind that such an incredibly accomplished waterman will throw so much energy and resources at a 4 2KSB. 

And it goes without saying that it is not very nautical to leave port with an unseaworthy vessel, ~50cm of freeboard is not fit for an oceancrossing in my mind. Zero (from what we can publicly see) sea trials is also asking for problems.

But looking at the tracker here, looks like he's pulled in to port without the assistance of the USCG. His social media channels have been silent since leaving, so who knows what will come in next.

pulled into Morro Bay it seems - that's where the action happening in Finding Dory so who knows.

Maybe some issues with foils, can @Mozzy Sails not get rob and Tom in and analyse the foiling mechanics for us armchair critics? 

image.png.d7e36006dc0526fce2ebf917a9bf64e0.png

11 hours ago, shebeen said:

if you really think his foils are providing his ~700kg?

Easy there Francis!

That might be just you...

3 hours ago, shebeen said:

Maybe some issues with foils

What's the term - pedantic?

mpenmansaid 'provide some lift not foil'

You know like fins on a board, or a dagger board, or a centerboard, or a keel.......

His propulsion device is called a wing surfer but has morphed into a 'wing foil' or 'foil wing' cause most folks use it on a foiling board = wing foiling.