Chris Bertish Foundation - Transpac Wing Project

my neighbor has done some photo and video work for Chris in the lead up to his leaving from half moon bay on tuesday 6.8.21 on a solo wing foil transpac in a foiling open ocean vessel.

chris' foundation mission and story is here https://chrisbertishfoundation.org/

wing project w/tracker here: https://chrisbertishfoundation.org/wing-project/

photo courtesy of quin o'hara

wing1.thumb.jpg.a0ee3a2f31bb244d42e45b046251fd35.jpg

I was going to say "Can we just start a pool on how far he gets before USCG rescues him? "

But then I read he paddled a sort of giant SUP across the Atlantic. Or he slept a lot and let the trade winds carry him but that's just me being cynical.

"Bertish averaged 43 miles (69 km) a day".  1.5 knots average. Yeah, that's a sort of drifting speed.

Ever been in an inflatable boat when the engine dies and the wind is blowing? 

Then I just read a research paper of a bunch of leeway studies of floating objects. In 20 knots wind, an unballasted raft was around 1.2-1.6 knots drift speed.  Keep that in mind if you ever have to search for a liferaft. Sport boats (I think small power boats) were around 1.2-1.3 knots.

image.png.25f87c429532a0ec8cb265ec4d1a9f1f.png 

. Not sure why the self steering gear and the rudder.

• Like 1

I just think it's cute that our North American friends think that sailing from LA to Hawaii is crossing the Pacific! :P

• Like 5

My wife, upon sailing from Mexico to Marquesas "We've crossed the Pacific!"

I got out the small scale chart and pointed out not quite.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Zonker said:

Then I just read a research paper of a bunch of leeway studies of floating objects. In 20 knots wind, an unballasted raft was around 1.2-1.6 knots drift speed.  Keep that in mind if you ever have to search for a liferaft.

I haven't really kept up, but it used to be that most liferafts were ballasted (specifically to reduce wind drift, I think). Is that no longer the case?

10 hours ago, Zonker said:

I was going to say "Can we just start a pool on how far he gets before USCG rescues him? "

But then I read he paddled a sort of giant SUP across the Atlantic. Or he slept a lot and let the trade winds carry him but that's just me being cynical.

"Bertish averaged 43 miles (69 km) a day".  1.5 knots average. Yeah, that's a sort of drifting speed.

Ever been in an inflatable boat when the engine dies and the wind is blowing? 

Then I just read a research paper of a bunch of leeway studies of floating objects. In 20 knots wind, an unballasted raft was around 1.2-1.6 knots drift speed.  Keep that in mind if you ever have to search for a liferaft. Sport boats (I think small power boats) were around 1.2-1.3 knots.

. Not sure why the self steering gear and the rudder.

it's the same "boat". Calling it a SUP was a stretch of the imagination, just like calling this craft foiling might sound cool but not that accurate. I could put a rotor on my car and say it's a helicopter but it won't fly. In the same way I don't think using an inflatable wing to go dead downwind is what it's designed for. put on optimist rig on the boat and you'd probably get there quicker.

I'm a skeptic of this, not because I think it's impossible - (it's drifting and there are plenty of people doing it), but because I think he's a really skilled waterman and this is just a glorified liferaft. (read this account of cali to hawaii in 55 days to see how it's been done before)

I'm also not a fan of the way charities are used as the reason to fund expeditions, (you come off looking like the bad guy if you're critical of it). R430k got crowdfunded (~$30k) on this one, the money for charities comes later. But things like a hydrogenerator were on the shopping list. 

My opinion on this is not popular, and I'm just a regular outdoors guy who drives a desk he is actually going for it. I do hope he makes it and anyone raising ocean pollution awareness is to be applauded. I just don't get the hype and the marketing spin grates me. The transatlantic was supposed to be to florida, but he got blown off course so ended it in Antigua. Even though it's 1200nm off course I guess that's still a win.

Looking at Chris's web page it almost looks like a different craft from the other angle...

He is calling it a Wingfoil crossing? 

image.thumb.png.f6cd45658703578233d9be219398b11f.png

I guess I must be missing something.....

1 minute ago, h20man said:

@shebeen  the survival raft drifting is impressive... but   Ed Gillet did it in 1987 using an off the shelf kayak amazing story:

https://secureservercdn.net/198.71.233.138/30z.7c8.myftpupload.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Gillet-doing-a-test-run-the-day-before-he-launched-for-Hawaii.jpg

yes. there was already another thread on this and this amazing story came up.

Don't know how he got into the kayak with balls that big!

for a little country at the bottom end of Africa we definitely punch above our weight in expeditioning. 2 that come to mind with a sailing slant are

Ant Steward - solo around the world in an open boat 

and then Mike horn who lists a lot of sailing now in his later years

http://kickasstrips.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/100000257-preview-mike-horn-a-t-lu-sportif-mondial-de-l-ann-e-2001.jpg

https://kickasstrips.com/2014/05/latitude-zero-mike-horns-humanpowered-circumnavigation-of-the-globe-at-the-equator/

9 hours ago, mckenzie.keith said:

I haven't really kept up, but it used to be that most liferafts were ballasted (specifically to reduce wind drift, I think). Is that no longer the case?

The research paper had drift values for both unballasted rafts (fast drift; most similar to a SUP) and ballasted rafts at about 0.4 knots.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, h20man said:

Looking at Chris's web page it almost looks like a different craft from the other angle...

He is calling it a Wingfoil crossing? 

I guess. The wing + (board with a foil) is usually called a wingfoil.

On 6/11/2021 at 6:06 PM, Zonker said:

I guess. The wing + (board with a foil) is usually called a wingfoil.

I get the board with foil.. Saw the pict on his page.. just saying it looks (to my untrained eyes) completely different from the vessel that is shown leaving SF.

Chris is a friend. There is a method to his madness. The foils are to provide some lift, not foil.

He paddled to Antigua sans help whilst out in the ocean.

I can tell you he's a frigging athlete of note. He's also won Mavericks.

One thing I can tell you, he truly cares about the well being of the ocean.

3 hours ago, mpenman said:

Chris is a friend. There is a method to his madness. The foils are to provide some lift, not foil.

so where is he pooping?

On 6/13/2021 at 2:06 AM, mpenman said:

cool.

I know he got to Antigua. Thing is he was aiming for Florida, about 1200nm off course. You can call it SUPing, but we all know it's drifting.

Same thing here with "foiling". if you really think his foils are providing his ~700kg? craft with lift at 2/3kts SOG, going maybe 1kt through the water then that's great. Even the Easter bunny can see they are just providing stability and drag, 

It blows my mind that such an incredibly accomplished waterman will throw so much energy and resources at a 4 2KSB. 

And it goes without saying that it is not very nautical to leave port with an unseaworthy vessel, ~50cm of freeboard is not fit for an oceancrossing in my mind. Zero (from what we can publicly see) sea trials is also asking for problems.

But looking at the tracker here, looks like he's pulled in to port without the assistance of the USCG. His social media channels have been silent since leaving, so who knows what will come in next.

• Like 2

pulled into Morro Bay it seems - that's where the action happening in Finding Dory so who knows.

Maybe some issues with foils, can @Mozzy Sails not get rob and Tom in and analyse the foiling mechanics for us armchair critics? 

image.png.d7e36006dc0526fce2ebf917a9bf64e0.png

11 hours ago, shebeen said:

if you really think his foils are providing his ~700kg?

Easy there Francis!

That might be just you...

3 hours ago, shebeen said:

Maybe some issues with foils

What's the term - pedantic?

mpenmansaid 'provide some lift not foil'

You know like lift from fins on a board, or a dagger board, or a centerboard, or a keel.......

His propulsion device is called a wing surfer but has morphed into a 'wing foil' or 'foil wing' cause most folks use it on a foiling board = wing foiling.

On 6/12/2021 at 11:36 PM, Parma said:

so where is he pooping?

In the ocean where all the fish poop. It's where I poop too when on the boat. Pooping in the ocean ain't a bad thing.

12 hours ago, shebeen said:

I know he got to Antigua. Thing is he was aiming for Florida, about 1200nm off course. You can call it SUPing, but we all know it's drifting.

It blows my mind that such an incredibly accomplished waterman will throw so much energy and resources at a 4 2KSB. 

And it goes without saying that it is not very nautical to leave port with an unseaworthy vessel, ~50cm of freeboard is not fit for an oceancrossing in my mind. Zero (from what we can publicly see) sea trials is also asking for problems.

But looking at the tracker here, looks like he's pulled in to port without the assistance of the USCG. His social media channels have been silent since leaving, so who knows what will come in next.

An excellent waterman and yes the vessel choice is not the most practical, but that's his choice, as well as the venue for his next 'adventure'. Unassisted has been his mantra for a long time.

Rather than look at it negatively I choose to look at the positive aspects of his journey and his message and hope that he inspires change in others.

1 minute ago, mpenman said:

In the ocean where all the fish poop. It's where I poop too when on the boat. Pooping in the ocean ain't a bad thing.

An excellent waterman and yes the vessel choice is not the most practical, but that's his choice, as well as the venue for his next 'adventure'. Unassisted has been his mantra for a long time.

Rather than look at it negatively I choose to look at the positive aspects of his journey and his message and hope that he inspires change in others.

I'm just gonna say that "excellent waterman" usually means choosing the right tool for the job. These seemed more akin to riding a barrel over Niagra or sailing the cheese scow around the world than an actual prudent voyage. But good on him for not involving the coasties.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mpenman said:

If he really cared, and I mean really cared, he would be composting.

• Like 1

At 0900 this morning Chris's boat is tied up at the Morro Bay Harbor Masters dock. According to a sailing friend and local Morro Bay resident, the Harbor Master reported the CG went looking for Chris, concerned for his health and welfare.  The CG went as far as Pt. Sur, 75 miles up the Coast, without finding him. (Apparently the CG did not have the tracker info)

The Harbor Master briefly spoke with Chris, who asked if he could leave the boat at the dock while he went in search of a trailer to pull the boat to S. Ca..  Apparently, due to the heavy coastal fog of the last few days, Chris's charging system may have not been up to snuff.  I cannot verify, but there was also mention to my friend of seasickness.

My own observation of Chris's Watt&Sea hydrogenerator, the smaller version, needs more boat speed to produce charging than was being achieved. The prop doesn't begin to turn until >2-3 knots is being maintained.

Bertish.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Parma said:

If he really cared, and I mean really cared, he would be composting.

Not sure I agree with that in the ocean. Now you have to take that compost and 'dispose' of it somewhere. That requires energy of some kind as well as more 'stuff' to enable the compost. Why not just let the ocean do it's thing with it.

Pee is sterile. Poop is actually food to other species.

In the ocean don't underestimate dilution.

I really, really care and I'm an ocean pooper:D

If he composted maybe he could use the methane to power his water maker.

Say.....does he have the proper permits from the California Coastal Commission?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, sleddog said:

At 0900 this morning Chris's boat is tied up at the Morro Bay Harbor Masters dock. According to a sailing friend and local Morro Bay resident, the Harbor Master reported the CG went looking for Chris, concerned for his health and welfare.  The CG went as far as Pt. Sur, 75 miles up the Coast, without finding him. (Apparently the CG did not have the tracker info)

The Harbor Master briefly spoke with Chris, who asked if he could leave the boat at the dock while he went in search of a trailer to pull the boat to S. Ca..  Apparently, due to the heavy coastal fog of the last few days, Chris's charging system may have not been up to snuff.  I cannot verify, but there was also mention to my friend of seasickness.

My own observation of Chris's Watt&Sea hydrogenerator, the smaller version, needs more boat speed to produce charging than was being achieved. The prop doesn't begin to turn until >2-3 knots is being maintained.

Bertish.jpg

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=4303819392990946&id=400378690001722

Well here's an update from the horse's mouth. Will have to take his word for the 35kt winds, it sure didn't show up on the tracker windy interface. 

An average speed of 1.5kts, but everything works well with the system, ok. it's a world record too.

I'm not so sure this thing is going to launch again without major modifications to the concept, if at all.

18 minutes ago, shebeen said:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=4303819392990946&id=400378690001722

Well here's an update from the horse's mouth. Will have to take his word for the 35kt winds, it sure didn't show up on the tracker windy interface. 

An average speed of 1.5kts, but everything works well with the system, ok. it's a world record too.

I'm not so sure this thing is going to launch again without major modifications to the concept, if at all.

Oh yeah no problemo on 35 out there and 15 foot breaking swells. Very common and I have seen gusts to 40 plus on that stretch from Monterey to morro bay. On the most beautiful sunny day. Don't know what he actually saw but the buoy data is available. If the marine layer was thick and it was windy and rough and he was in the shipping lane then he's better off in port. Looks like he tried to get outside a couple times just got his ass kicked and just went with the flow hoping conditions got better to go west. He may have started for Monterey and found he was too far out to get there. Looks like he tries west once more and says fuckit and beelines for morro bay. He definitely had trouble gaining westing. Arms got tired maybe. I tried to fly to Vegas once and I never made it to the end of my driveway before my arms got tired.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

Oh yeah no problemo on 35 out there and 15 foot breaking swells. Very common and I have seen gusts to 40 plus on that stretch from Monterey to morro bay. On the most beautiful sunny day. Don't know what he actually saw but the buoy data is available. If the marine layer was thick and it was windy and rough and he was in the shipping lane then he's better off in port. Looks like he tried to get outside a couple times just got his ass kicked and just went with the flow hoping conditions got better to go west. He may have started for Monterey and found he was too far out to get there. Looks like he tries west once more and says fuckit and beelines for morro bay. He definitely had trouble gaining westing. Arms got tired maybe. I tried to fly to Vegas once and I never made it to the end of my driveway before my arms got tired.

I would have expected the sog to increase in conditions like that, but not sure how big the drogue anchor is.

I think he has wind generator as well, so power should have topped up there

• 2 weeks later...

latest update:

New World Records + Experience + moving forward.
I believe success isn’t always winning, or getting to your goal or dream the first time.. as long as you’re growing, learning and moving forward.. becoming a better person through it all and leaving the world and others better through your journey along the way..
Stoked on the new Record of 212NM/ 392km over 5days.. open ocean, unsupported wing foil journey, from Half Moon Bay to Morro Bay.
Was it the target and the goal, not really, but all part of the journey of getting to the bigger goal!
While doing so, we have already raised a couple thousand dollars for climate change, our ocean, education and planet, while pushing the envelope in a new sport to a new level..progress is all part of it, how you build on and what you learn from and how you apply the knowledge snd the experience is key, to what you achieve moving forward.
Knowledge & experience isn’t wisdom, unless you can apply it successfully to the next part of your journey..
The Impifish is now in for changes and upgrades, which will take a while to get it all right, but I’m so impressed with the angles I can sail, the speeds and distances I can cover, how stable she is, especially after now testing her in the most rugged, open ocean conditions, over 200miles down the Nor California coastline. Progress!
Thanks everyone for the feedback & continued support.. I’m very happy with the progress, where we are now and building towards the next part of the journey.
This is a Race against time, a race we have to win & we need to raise awareness & take action on climate now & protect 30% of our worlds ocean by 2030 & we need to do it now!
Photo: Quin O'Hara
Thanks to my amazing conservation partners- Sea Shepherd Conservation Society Conservation International + Ocean Unite

not much concrete here, but you do get a view of the arsenal of boating electronics and gadgets on this thing.

seems like it was far from ready so a possible restart later in the year or beyond.

also, the wing is also just a spinnaker when downwind by tying it on and sitting back.

no footage of the 35kts winds and but got all excited about doing 49 nm in 14 hours (so cruising speed is 0.5 knots short of a 4ksb).