What Happens when you weaponize Justice

I know the Special Prosecutor law has some issues, like maybe doesn't exist at the moment, but it sure seems like the current DOJ needs to get an independent outsider to build on Mueller's charter and go deeper into some pretty awful sounding practices of TFG and Barr.

7 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

I know the Special Prosecutor law has some issues, like maybe doesn't exist at the moment, but it sure seems like the current DOJ needs to get an independent outsider to build on Mueller's charter and go deeper into some pretty awful sounding practices of TFG and Barr.

I agree absolutely, this could be just the tip of the iceberg. I am actually stunned to think that TFG and Barr thought no one would look.

• Like 1

NYT article says the records were seized in 2017 and early 2018, so it wouldn't be Barr but that other slimeball, Sessions. Not that taking Mr. Peanut for a ride wouldn't be fun....

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Raz'r said:

A special prosecutor is needed when there is a conflict of interest. For example, Clinton’s DOJ couldn’t investigate Clinton. But there is no conflict of interest here as Shitstain and Barr are not in office. Normal prosecutors will do.

I get why tfg believes he was spied on and that there was rigging. When in power he did those things, he targeted opponents and those he believed to be working against his interests, he even tried to exhort a foreign head of state and there are funny stats in some of the red counties where the elections are paperless.

He probably believes successful guys think and do like him. I bet he's angry at his supporters, those dumb weaklings got inside the capitol and wandered around like headless chicken instead of putting him back in power. 

He's still very powerful, he can take down any republican if he campaigns against them, worst still he can whip up his base and "suggest" 2A solutions and they along with their families will have to live in fear from that moment on. How did the US get so wrong that a large fraction of the population still believes he and his descendants should rule over the US.

His crimes need to be made public and justice served.

• Like 3
38 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

A special prosecutor is needed when there is a conflict of interest. For example, Clinton’s DOJ couldn’t investigate Clinton. But there is no conflict of interest here as Shitstain and Barr are not in office. Normal prosecutors will do.

But it would "Feel" partisan.

48 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

But it would "Feel" partisan.

Think this is the problem, the current DOJ are tip toeing  around scared of the optics.

Yes it might look vindictive however this stuff is what dictators do.

If TFG suspected this was being done to him he would have "his DOJ" giving those concerned a new asshole with the level of investigation.

Prompts another question, I don't  think he used Barr and the DOJ simply to go after Dems, you have to wonder what sort of dirt he's holding against the entire R party to have them running around tripping over their dicks to appease his every whim six months after he lost it all for them, house, senate and the election.

Prosecution sooner rather than later is key, he needs to shown up to the faithful to be the dishonest  MF he is.

• Like 1

This is what Barr said about investigating people at the behest of the POTUS at the time to Kamala Harris (who makes a much better Senator than VP)

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/remember-when-kamala-harris-grilled-bill-barr-about-white-house-requesting-doj-investigations-and-the-ag-went-full-ralph-kramden/

Has the president or anyone at the White House asked or suggested that you open an investigation of anyone?” Harris asked, to which a struggling Barr said “um, I wouldn’t — I wouldn’t” before asking her to repeat the question.

“I will repeat it. Has the president or anyone at the White House ever asked or suggested that you open an investigation of anyone, yes or no, please, sir?” she replied. “Seems you would remember something like that and tell us.”

“But I’m trying to grapple with the word suggest,” Barr shot back, before explaining why he is struggling with the wordage: “There have been discussions of matters out there but they have not asked me to open an investigation.”

Perhaps they’ve suggested,” the 2020 presidential candidate said, which Barr denied and said, “I don’t know.”

“Inferred?” she continued. “You don’t know? Okay.”

He's already laying down a defense.

Former Attorney General William Barr on Friday distanced himself from reports that the Trump Justice Department seized communications records belonging to two prominent Democratic lawmakers who were spearheading investigations into then-President Donald Trump.

In a phone interview, Barr said he didn’t recall getting briefed on the moves.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/06/11/barr-distances-democratic-subpoenas-493491

11 hours ago, badlatitude said:

William Barr should be in jail for this, and if there is evidence that President Trump ordered this, he should be in the can also.

So now you are finally admitting that the DOJ is corrupt? 

Next you'll be claiming Santa Claus is not real.  :D 

Bill Palmer suggests it's Rod Rosenstein who was behind this.

Over the course of four years, Jeff Sessions and Bill Barr each gave us an up-close look at their corrupt and villainous nature as Attorney General. But who was the real heavy of the Trump-era DOJ? It’s really starting to look like it was the Deputy Attorney General who served under them both: Rod Rosenstein.

Now that we’ve all learned the Trump DOJ illegally spied on multiple House Democrats, the blame game is already underway. A panelist on MSNBC has already stated that Bill Barr says he had nothing to do with it, and for reasons that are still mystifying, the media never does seem to question Barr’s honesty when he says these kinds of things.

But CNN is reporting that Jeff Sessions was not involved in the spying scandal, and while we’re not inclined to ever take Sessions at his word either, this actually lines up with the known facts. Sessions was forced to recuse himself from the Trump-Russia investigation almost immediately, and because this illegal spying was done in the name of supposedly finding out who was leaking information about the Trump-Russia scandal, it wouldn’t have been Sessions who signed off on it. It would have been his Deputy, Rod Rosenstein.

Rosenstein would also have been responsible for the gag order that the DOJ placed against Apple, preventing it from publicly revealing that it had been forced to turn over the data of Adam Schiff and Eric Swalwell. In other words, Rod Rosenstein was the heavy in this scandal, at least during the Sessions era.

This comes after we all learned last year that even though Rod Rosenstein was the one who appointed Robert Mueller as Special Counsel, it was Rosenstein who was secretly limiting and sabotaging Mueller’s investigation all along. So now we know that Rosenstein played a key role in the criminal spying scandal, and committed what appears to have been felony obstruction of justice in the Mueller probe. Rosenstein was the bad guy all along. Lock him up!

https://www.palmerreport.com/analysis/turns-out-it-was-rod-rosenstein-all-along/39489/

• Like 1
On 6/11/2021 at 8:04 AM, badlatitude said:

William Barr should be in jail for this, and if there is evidence that President Trump ordered this, he should be in the can also.

Agree.  Hoping that this is finally the charge that will stick and allow shitstain to be prosecuted and convicted.  

20 hours ago, Fakenews said:

This is what Barr said about investigating people at the behest of the POTUS at the time to Kamala Harris (who makes a much better Senator than VP)

Out of curiosity, why to you think Harris makes a better senator than VP?

19 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

I’m a Californian and a former San Franciscan. I’ve been watching Harris since she was SF DA and CA AG.

I wasn’t wild about Harris as VP. I didn’t think she had enough experience, and I preferred Susan Rice. But in fact, I’m pleasantly quite surprised with Harris as VP. I prefer her as VP than as Senator. Still, there’s a lot to learn but she works hard and is learning fast.

1 minute ago, Olsonist said:

I’m a Californian and a former San Franciscan. I’ve been watching Harris since she was SF DA and CA AG.

I wasn’t wild about Harris as VP. I didn’t think she had enough experience, and I preferred Susan Rice. But in fact, I’m pleasantly quite surprised with Harris as VP. There’s a lot to learn but she works hard and is learning fast.

He shoulda picked Hillary as Veep.

26 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

Agree.  Hoping that this is finally the charge that will stick and allow shitstain to be prosecuted and convicted.  

It won't be. Michael Horowitz is slightly hamstrung, he cannot question Barr or Sessions, or any other Trump appointee, for that matter. It takes a Special Counsel to do that, but there is no evidence so far, that makes an appointment possible. The real scandal is that all of this is probably completely legal. The bar for accessing records is very low, any journalist can tell you that there is no law that limits access.

12 minutes ago, Olsonist said:
14 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

He shoulda picked Hillary as Veep.

Only if he really, really wanted Shitstain to win.

I know, I was being sarcasticalistic.

2 minutes ago, badlatitude said:
40 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

It won't be. Michael Horowitz is slightly hamstrung, he cannot question Barr or Sessions, or any other Trump appointee, for that matter. It takes a Special Counsel to do that, but there is no evidence so far, that makes an appointment possible. The real scandal is that all of this is probably completely legal. The bar for accessing records is very low, any journalist can tell you that there is no law that limits access.

Why would he not be able to question Barr or any other trump appointee?  They are no longer in office or in the employ of the Fed gov.  They are private citizens subject to the same rules as you and me.  

5 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

Why would he not be able to question Barr or any other trump appointee?  They are no longer in office or in the employ of the Fed gov.  They are private citizens subject to the same rules as you and me.  

It exceeds his authority, they are no longer in government.

23 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

Not exactly. Executive privilege is defended by successors or can be. It will be up to Biden to decide. For example, W defended Janet Reno.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_privilege

1 hour ago, Burning Man said:

Didn't they get court approval for this?  Who approved the gag orders that apparently have just expired?

1 hour ago, Burning Man said:

It’s really more that I think she’d be a lousy President if called in to the role of POTUS.  She’s unlikeable, weirdly flippant, and would (to the degree it’s possible)further divide our country.  I get why she was chosen but Klobuchar would have been a better choice to replace Biden (who I don’t think will run again).  I suspect Biden won’t endorse anyone and it will come down to Newsom and Klobuchar for the Dem nomination.

John Dean sez . .  (Kos) 

Dean said he thinks Barr has to testify and called on the DOJ to be more transparent about the smartphone data seizure scandal.

“I hope they’re getting their act together because this is going to be very troublesome. My Twitter feed is just blazing with people disappointed with Justice and their response to this so far,” he said. 

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2021/6/12/2034921/-John-Dean-Trump-DOJ-scandal-is-Nixon-on-stilts-and-steroids

The mechanics of this are that Shitstain is no longer President and has zero authority to do dick. Executive Privilege would be asserted by his successor, President Biden, with respect to the office. Eisenhower used EP to successfully fend off McCarthy. But US v Nixon showed its limits. Hard to say what Shitstain's stacked SC would do. So far they've shown him as much personal loyalty as he showed Jeff Sessions.

Biden is not required to assert EP for Shitstain. Ford pardoned Nixon personally, but he didn't assert EP for Nixon politically.

1 hour ago, Fakenews said:

It’s really more that I think she’d be a lousy President if called in to the role of POTUS.  She’s unlikeable, weirdly flippant, and would (to the degree it’s possible)further divide our country.  I get why she was chosen but Klobuchar would have been a better choice to replace Biden (who I don’t think will run again).  I suspect Biden won’t endorse anyone and it will come down to Newsom and Klobuchar for the Dem nomination.

Klobuchar clearly didn't have enough melanin to make a suitable VP.  Instant disqualifier.  

1 hour ago, Fakenews said:

How bad could she be as POTUS. We survived George the Lesser and, so far,TFG. It would be outstanding if we could say that we did more than survive a particular POTUS. But then you are stuck dealing with the likes of McConnell, Manchin, Graham, Bobert, Cawthorn, Greene and a stacked SCOTUS.

• Like 2

"so far" is fitting.  Hopefully "TFG" won't have his way.  I am fearful that he or someone like him will make a resurgence in 2024, especially if the house and senate become more Republican in 2022.  Shit, Democrats can't seem to get shit done now with the Republican obstruction.  Republicans effectively control congress through minority rule.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, bridhb said:

"so far" is fitting.  Hopefully "TFG" won't have his way.  I am fearful that he or someone like him will make a resurgence in 2024, especially if the house and senate become more Republican in 2022.  Shit, Democrats can't seem to get shit done now with the Republican obstruction.  Republicans effectively control congress through minority rule.

One thing that’s 100% sure is that if The Pubs regain control of the Senate (I’m pretty optimistic Dem’s will gain a seat or two) the filibuster is done for.   Dems can’t ever seem to play hardball.

• Like 1

It seems like Mitch is determined to make Biden a one term president or something.

Dems will need to light a fire under their collective asses or they will squander what little advantage they have got.

Perhaps they need to ask themselves what would a republican do in these circumstances, I'm beginning. to think fuck your feelings is a good place to start.

1 hour ago, Navig8tor said:

It seems like Mitch is determined to make Biden a one term president or something.

Dems will need to light a fire under their collective asses or they will squander what little advantage they have got.

Perhaps they need to ask themselves what would a republican do in these circumstances, I'm beginning. to think fuck your feelings is a good place to start.

The problem with that, Democrat voters are not the flip side of the coin to Republican voters. Republicans have a brand, an identity, party loyalty. Democrats do not. USAnians vote for Democratic candidates when 1- that particular candidate has some charismatic appeal to them, or 2- that particular candidate has a stance on an issue that strongly appeals to the voter. There are very few party-loyal straight-ticket Democratic Party voters.

- DSK

4 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

The problem with that, Democrat voters are not the flip side of the coin to Republican voters. Republicans have a brand, an identity, party loyalty. Democrats do not. USAnians vote for Democratic candidates when 1- that particular candidate has some charismatic appeal to them, or 2- that particular candidate has a stance on an issue that strongly appeals to the voter. There are very few party-loyal straight-ticket Democratic Party voters.

- DSK

Maybe you need an Anti-Idiot Party. That should have broad appeal.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Nah ain't gonna work,  the elk are so brainwashed they consider anyone that doesn't share their perception and world view- the idiots.

There needs to be a full court press at the high school level to reintroduce critical thinking followed up by a course of "Just because its on the internet doesn't mean its true, for Dummies"

Got a long way to go when half the fuckwits actually believe dems are pedos that can transform into lizards while peddling pizza, FFS.

2 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

Got a long way to go when half the fuckwits actually believe dems are pedos that can transform into lizards while peddling pizza, FFS.

There's a lot to admire about the USA, though. Where else could a naive idiot without contact with reality actually rise to the level of professor, even in such a useless 'discipline' as 'political science', in a 4th rate college in a 3rd rate State?

FKT

9 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

There's a lot to admire about the USA, though. Where else could a naive idiot without contact with reality actually rise to the level of professor, even in such a useless 'discipline' as 'political science', in a 4th rate college in a 3rd rate State?

How charming. Actually, Ohio is a 5th rate state, thanks to the Reich. 

OK folks, lets be honest here. 

The US justice system has been politicized, weaponized, racialized, and class-ized (?) 

for its entire history. 

Shocking developments. The front end has gone missing on the DOJ.

Barr denies involvement, same for Sessions, same for Rosenstein. Notes: the broad data mining and ninety fishing expeditions happened on Rosenstein's watch. And secondly, Apple is probably not the only provider involved.

Merrick Garland needs to step up to the plate...as inspired by Jerry Nadler, heh heh.  And in all the land, more than a few Republican Senators need to say "enough."

I'm in shock, and very appreciative of the free press, today.

Where is a Tom Baker, where is a Sam Ervin, when we need them?

1 hour ago, AJ Oliver said:

OK folks, lets be honest here. 

The US justice system has been politicized, weaponized, racialized, and class-ized (?) 

for its entire history. 

True, but that pendulum has swung back and forth too. At many periods in it's history, extreme partisanship has been out of favor and tended to lose elections on a state and national level.

The Republicans have been increasingly partisan and demanding of monlithic loyalty over the past 15 years, and they have made a number of political gains by it... the current balance of the judicial system is one of the biggest gains... but they are at risk of an abrupt fall from power if their partisans cannot control vote-counting, apportioning, and districting, in the upcoming election cycles.

And they know it.

- DSK

• Like 1

The US system of justice depends of our meek acceptance of the 

"rule of law", which is a hoax wrapped in a myth engulfed in a dumpster fire. 

I'm a bit grumpy today. 

12 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

The US system of justice depends of our meek acceptance of the 

"rule of law", which is a hoax wrapped in a myth engulfed in a dumpster fire. 

I'm a bit grumpy today. 

I dunno if it's "meek acceptance" or a rational unwillingness to engage in feuds, putting our families at risk.

- DSK

21 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

Concur.  Frankly, I think the dems are being pussies by continuing to try to work with the GOP on infrastructure.  It is sorely needed and I think we need to look beyond traditional roads and bridges when we think of what is infrastructure.  I was just at the Grand Canyon over Memorial weekend and was again reminded of the incredible stuff the CCC did back in the day.  I would love to see that sort of "manhattan" level of effort go into rebuilding this crumbling country.  If it takes using budget reconciliation to tell Bitch Mac to fuck off, then so be it.  

19 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

There are very few party-loyal straight-ticket Democratic Party voters.

Uhhh, well if you discount the black vote - you might have a point.  They are about as party-loyal, straight ticket dem party voter as they get.

15 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Given that a pretty significant chunk of the American electorate are also idiots (in both parties) - I think they would have a hard time understanding who is the real idiot candidate.  

12 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

FKT

I see you're in a generous mood today.  :lol:

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

True, but that pendulum has swung back and forth too. At many periods in it's history, extreme partisanship has been out of favor and tended to lose elections on a state and national level.

The Republicans have been increasingly partisan and demanding of monlithic loyalty over the past 15 years, and they have made a number of political gains by it... the current balance of the judicial system is one of the biggest gains... but they are at risk of an abrupt fall from power if their partisans cannot control vote-counting, apportioning, and districting, in the upcoming election cycles.

And they know it.

- DSK

I don't disagree, but unfortunately that train has left the burning barn.  The GOP overwhelmingly control most state houses and the governors - and that is where the firewall will be for a long time to come.  

On 6/13/2021 at 3:38 PM, Burning Man said:

I was just at the Grand Canyon over Memorial weekend and was again reminded of the incredible stuff the CCC did back in the day.  I would love to see that sort of "manhattan" level of effort go into rebuilding this crumbling country.  If it takes using budget reconciliation to tell Bitch Mac to fuck off, then so be it.  

If I ever called you a man of the Reich (I do not think that I did), I apologize. 

The CCC is a great American social democratic story - lots of the yoot who worked on it started off as illiterate, had never seen a dentist, some had never worn shoes . .  It was more of a success for the people it helped than what it built.  

FKT wrote @Fah Kiew Tu . . 

There's a lot to admire about the USA, though. Where else could a naive idiot without contact with reality actually rise to the level of professor, even in such a useless 'discipline' as 'political science', in a 4th rate college in a 3rd rate State?

Why the incessant name calling ??  What are you attempting to accomplish ?? 

And I really like the way Mr. Lada called you out.  :) !! 

Own it !! 

Speaking of Ohio . .  the state really is a Reichista cesspool of corruption . . 

which is a direct consequence of extreme gerrymandering . .  I'll explain why if anyone is interested. FKT need not apply. 

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2021/6/16/2035641/-Ohio-Republican-expelled-from-chamber-after-federal-indictment-in-60-million-corruption-scheme

5 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

FKT wrote @Fah Kiew Tu . . 

There's a lot to admire about the USA, though. Where else could a naive idiot without contact with reality actually rise to the level of professor, even in such a useless 'discipline' as 'political science', in a 4th rate college in a 3rd rate State?

Why the incessant name calling ??  What are you attempting to accomplish ?? 

And I really like the way Mr. Lada called you out.  :) !! 

Own it !! 

I don't read Ed's posts so - shrug. He's an old man living in a dream world of a place & time that probably never existed and knows less than nothing about me, my life or growing up in Australia. He's had a run at me long before you appeared on the scene. Seems I asked him questions that he didn't want to answer and just like you, he prefers name-calling to difficult answers.

The fact that he seems to support you should have you concerned, but I can see why it doesn't. Enjoy your bromance. And don't risk that sailing caper on the most dangerous coast in the world, for your own sake. Stay safe on your little lake.

FKT

5 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

Speaking of Ohio . .  the state really is a Reichista cesspool of corruption . . 

which is a direct consequence of extreme gerrymandering . .  I'll explain why if anyone is interested. 

Is it something like;

Blah blah, redefined electoral boundaries blah blah rural vote is worth double an urban vote blah blah right wing party gained power?

Just a guess. Sounds a bit like Queensland in the 80s. 

If Australia brought in the USA concept of one hectare, one vote, I think we would be further to the right than you clowns. And still have better gun laws and social services.

5 hours ago, Se7en said:

Blah blah, redefined electoral boundaries blah blah rural vote is worth double an urban vote blah blah right wing party gained power?

Well no, that is not how it works. 

10 hours ago, Se7en said:

... the USA concept of one hectare, one vote...

If the was true Ted Turner would run everything.  Can you imagine Captain Outrageous as emperor?

8 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

Well no, that is not how it works. 

Thank you for that education, much appreciated. Can definitely see how you earned your reputation as a teacher.

Are you saying it isn't true that someone in Wyoming's vote is worth over 50 times what someone in San Francisco's vote is worth when it comes to Senate elections?

Or that it isn't true that North Carolina's  12th district boundary represents a snake that swallows up all the areas of high concentrations of democratic voters so they don't pollute bordering Republican marginal districts? Ie classic gerrymandering?

4 hours ago, hobie1616 said:

If the was true Ted Turner would run everything.  Can you imagine Captain Outrageous as emperor?

I thought I saw recently that Bill Gates was the largest landowner in the US? And doesn't he already run everything and everyone via vaccine implanted microchips?

But as per previous post, it seems to me that rural folk in Wyoming's votes do count for more, because they own a higher percentage of land in a state. Dirt votes count. (Or is it votes per volume of microbes, the real majority life form on this planet?)

3 hours ago, Se7en said:

Are you saying it isn't true that someone in Wyoming's vote is worth over 50 times what someone in San Francisco's vote is worth when it comes to Senate elections?

right, but only for US Senate elections . .for nearly all the rest (state reps and senators and US House members) electoral districts have an EQUAL number of voters. 

The evil geniuses who gerrymander get around that by packing and cracking. 

One of my former students helped draw those lines in Ohio. He does not brag about it. 

Class dismissed. 

4 minutes ago, The_Real_XYZ said:

They just need to stop letting them use computers to gerrymander.  A map and a crayon should be all that is allowed.  

The people who do that are quite smart - - - and lacking in principles 

They can and do divide streets down the middle to include/exclude voters from districts. 

The intent in to maximize the number of voters whose ballots do not actually count - 

both left and right. 

9 minutes ago, The_Real_XYZ said:

They just need to stop letting them use computers to gerrymander.  A map and a crayon should be all that is allowed.  

Nope, you can use computers. Minimum distance contiguous boundaries. Makes gerrymandering very difficult.

The USA *and* Australia has different rules for Senate to House - in theory, in the distant past, the Senate was the States' House. That's why the elections are 'at large' for the State not broken into (gerrymandered) electorates.

Of course the progressive politicalisation of everything means that the Senates no longer really represent States' interests at the Federal level, they just follow along. There's a strong arguable case for abolishing or severely reforming them but that's never going to happen in either country. Same problem as un-scrambling eggs.

FKT

10 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

right, but only for US Senate elections . .for nearly all the rest (state reps and senators and US House members) electoral districts have an EQUAL number of voters. 

The evil geniuses who gerrymander get around that by packing and cracking. 

One of my former students helped draw those lines in Ohio. He does not brag about it. 

Class dismissed. 

Their national vote for the president counts a hell of a lot more also.

On 6/16/2021 at 10:17 PM, AJ Oliver said:

If I ever called you a man of the Reich (I do not think that I did), I apologize. 

The CCC is a great American social democratic story - lots of the yoot who worked on it started off as illiterate, had never seen a dentist, some had never worn shoes . .  It was more of a success for the people it helped than what it built.  

Not only were the workers paid a reasonable wage, (IIRC, they were required to bank a certain percentage of all wages) they were trained in a trade by masters of that trade, so they had work available to them when they got out of the programs

1 hour ago, bridhb said:

Their national vote for the president counts a hell of a lot more also.

Well, yes, of course. 

But the Prez and US Senate vote systems are not gerrymandering. 

Trust me on that. 

This is gerrymandering  . .

image.jpeg.24617e8d42799bccafd495bfcf006584.jpeg