Storm Sail for S2 9.1

I have a S2 9.1 which has that baby stay 2 feet forward f the mast. Can I or should I use that for a storm sail. It seems that the sail would be at the center of balance with some of the sail forward of the mast and some behind. I also think that the boat would be balanced when heaving to. The stay seems secure with a wire going all the way down to the keel.

Do you just sail in the Chesapeake? Do you anticipate sailing for EXTENDED durations in very high winds?

Summer squalls/thunderstorms don't count - for those just take your sails down and motor while they pass. Way easier as a storm tactic unless you have a tiny outboard that won't hold your position into 40 or 50 knots.

Anyway babystays that go to just above the spreaders are not a good place to fly a sail from. You put a load on it, it pulls the mast forward and there is nothing to oppose this load except maybe aft lowers. Which is not enough so you pull the mast out of column and bang.

For real gale/storm sailing a storm jib and deeply reefed main is probably a simpler solution if you want to try to get upwind. For just having some sail up to make progress a small jib won't allow you to point but it will be fine from sort of a close reachish to further downwind.

I was in the southern Chesapeake May 29, I had 30 - 35 knot north winds.  I had my second reef, I couldn't advance north because of constancy rounding up. Best I could do was beam reach with main WAY out and still rounding up occasionally. 

I hope to do the Bermuda 1-2 in 2 years, so I need to be prepared. 

The sail I am looking at is only 45 - 50 sq. ft. or so (luff 15' 10" leech 12' 0" foot 6' 10") If I need to install running backstay, I can do that.

I'd try it on the forestay first in strong winds and see how the boat balances. Bet it will be OK.

Got a decent sailplan drawing? I can import it into Autocad and see how the proposed sail would fit.

Well measure the distance from front of mast to babystay and eyeball the height up the mast because it doesn't show on the drawing.

Two feet from the mast?  The photo on sailboatdata seems to show something three or four feet back from the forestay... about where one might expect a bulkhead to tie it to.

Just looking on because I have a similar experiment on slow-burn for my somewhat similar sized boat.  Except I was thinking removable stay from the aforementioned bulkhead location to the pole-lift tang.  I already have a couple of sails that might fit there (storm jib and "stay sail") that are somewhat superfluous since I installed roller furling.  I just keep getting hung up on the runners.  If I didn't already have most of the parts in the shed, I'd probably never do it.  

Baby stay is 16' 5" from mast attachment to the deck. The attachment to the deck is 27 inches in front of the mast.

The stay that toddster mentions goes to the aft bulkhead of the anchor locker. I do have that also. It is 27 feet from mast attachment to deck.

I am wanting to use the baby stay to keep the storm sail low and balanced so I don't need both a trysail and storm jib. I also think that 50 sq. ft. is enough for 35 knots of wind. The boat is a little more tender than I expected (but then with only 1 aboard, I don't have 1000 lbs. on the rail.)

Ah, I think I see what you're getting at.

FWIW, unrolling a scrap of jib w/ reef2 seems pretty comfortable to me at 30 kts and seems to prevent most round-ups.  Would be nice to get it closer to the deck and shaped somewhat more like a sail tho.  It's going uphill from there (e.g. an unruly day off Cape Mendocino)  that I'm looking for options.

OK, the babystay idea doesn't seem good for 2 reasons:

1) The new sail will interfere with the lower set of spreaders (red rectangle is about where it is located)

2) the geometric center of effort (and here I had to guess on the depth of main sail reef points and thus the area) is quite a bit back from the full sail CE

Magenta is the full sail CE

Green is the 2nd reef + sail on babystay

Blue is the 2nd reef + same sail on forestay.

If you want to sail with just the small jib, putting it on an inner stay that terminates about 3' aft of the forestay makes sense.

image.png.9a19ab2bf9db854b0b090e92795d6af5.png

Zonker

Thank you for all of your effort. And I am sorry for being such a stickler on the babystay idea. My whole idea for this is survival mode not to use if I wanted to keep racing.

I never intended to have the main up at all wile using this storm jib on the babystay. And it looks like the center of effort is about where I want it without the reefed main. Also the spreaders are only 3 inches below the mast attachment of the babystay so that is not a problem.

Also I had the second reef put in a year ago and specified that it would be 55% or less of the whole main, so that would make it 136 sq. ft. or less. That would put the center of effort an even better place. Sorry I didn't mention this before.

I am also relieved to know I can use this storm jib on the inner forestay with the 2nd reef and be balanced.

Balance is an interesting concept with storm sails.

Hopefully I'm able to go down wind. At that point that last thing I want is a broach, so setting the jib as far forward as possible is going to help pull the bow down, so the forestay it probably best.

If I have to go up wind I think I'm going to need some main to make any progress, at which point I need to move the jib forward again to balance it.

I think there's a reason you don't see storm jibs set on baby stays, inner forestay possibly, and that keeps you off the really pointy bit.

Oh, there was another point I forgot to make. The angle that the sail makes with the wind. Sails are cut with a 3D curvature. 

But the jib you have found has the luff set too steeply. The built in curvature isn't in the right place. If you picture the draft curve of the same jib set on the forestay it's more correctly oriented to the wind flow.

Listen to Zonk, do NOT try to use the baby stay.  Spent 20+ years in the sailmaking business, built a lot of storm sails and have actually used them.  The inner forestay is a much more reasonable solution if you don't want to use the forestay.  Don't try and reinvent the wheel as the saying goes.

I really thought this would be a simple solution for the solo sailor in 30+ knots of wind. Instead of 20 minutes on the foredeck hanking on a headsail, and then putting on a trysail, I could just sit at the mast and put this sail on. Anyway, I have to listen to you guys.

While we are on the subject, do I need running backstays for the inner stay (located at the 2nd set of spreaders)? And is there a simple way to install them.

Thanks for all the comments.

16 hours ago, zenmasterfred said:

Listen to Zonk, do NOT try to use the baby stay.  Spent 20+ years in the sailmaking business, built a lot of storm sails and have actually used them.  The inner forestay is a much more reasonable solution if you don't want to use the forestay.  Don't try and reinvent the wheel as the saying goes.

“I have a crazy idea" means "I want to try something stupid."

If it's stupid and it works, it's still stupid and you're lucky.

As an S2 9.1 owner I can say this with certainty. DO NOT fly a storm sail from your babystay. The babystay on this boat is specifically used to control mast bend upwind while racing. It's way too far aft to fly a sail from.