On 6/13/2021 at 7:08 AM, catsailor said:

Hearing rumors about an American site being chatted up for 37. Other than UK and Doha - any other real venues being considered by ETNZ? 

Where? The sex worker that is TNZ will go anywhere for the money evidently.

49 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

Anywhere where there is good consistent breeze.

SF!!!! (I wish..)

Where did AM train on the Gulf? Looked reasonably decent wind-wise.

On 6/13/2021 at 6:08 AM, catsailor said:

Hearing rumors about an American site being chatted up for 37.

Yes, and Magnus is hearing rumors being chatted up for on the Solent. Can you imagine what he's hearing from codgers?

"Ahem... Unlike you, you young chap, I am very important. Yes, I have information about all this. The only reason I cannot, will not, divulge the details entrusted to me by my privileged sources, is because of my character: My sworn duty to God and to the Queen."

:D

36 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

SF!!!! (I wish..)

Pensacola in the winter.

Hurricane season makes it a bit dodgy for summer all along the east now that we've had more and stronger hurricanes.

2 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Miami! Las Vegas! (They got Lake Mead and lawyers) 

I concur with Lake Mead......25 miles from the Strip at Las Vegas, perfect.

Except Lake Mead is at its lowest levels since the 1930s when the Hoover Dam was built.

57 minutes ago, EYESAILOR said:

Except Lake Mead is at its lowest levels since the 1930s when the Hoover Dam was built.

Maybe they can make an agreement upstream, lol

4 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

3 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

SF!!!! (I wish..)

How about Hawaii, there are some (small areas) protected waters. Damn, lets see some boats racing out of Perth and the DR. blowing. 

30 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

How about Hawaii, there are some (small areas) protected waters. Damn, lets see some boats racing out of Perth and the DR. blowing. 

DC wanted this after '87, but I think the SDYC didn't. Wasn't there some shit about Larry owning an island there and having it after SF instead of Bermuda?

6 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Yes, and Magnus is hearing rumors being chatted up for on the Solent. Can you imagine what he's hearing from codgers?

"Ahem... Unlike you, you young chap, I am very important. Yes, I have information about all this. The only reason I cannot, will not, divulge the details entrusted to me by my privileged sources, is because of my character: My sworn duty to God and to the Queen."

:D

If he was half as connected as he pretends to be he wouldn’t so consistently wrong or two faced 

5 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

Pretty low draft on the AC75's. ;-)

I hear there’s a meeting at RNZYS tonight and Grant will be giving a statement on what direction ETNZ is heading 

Rumours are :

Cup is going off shore …no surprises if true

Emirates having ended funding

Some RNZYS members will fight to the death to stop Grant

Lawyers are rubbing their hands with glee

NZ government package isn’t acceptable, to little cash on offer

Of course most readers are fully aware of these stories, will be interesting to hear from RNZYS members after tonight’s meeting 

33 minutes ago, mako23 said:

I hear there’s a meeting at RNZYS tonight and Grant will be giving a statement on what direction ETNZ is heading 

Rumours are :

Cup is going off shore …no surprises if true

Emirates having ended funding

Some RNZYS members will fight to the death to stop Grant

Lawyers are rubbing their hands with glee

NZ government package isn’t acceptable, to little cash on offer

Of course most readers are fully aware of these stories, will be interesting to hear from RNZYS members after tonight’s meeting 

If nobody else can beat TNZ you can always trust they will beat themselves. This should be fun to watch them turn on each other again. Just let them get on with it.

Auckland, New Zealand - 16th June 2021

Emirates Team New Zealand (ETNZ) representing the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron (RNZYS) and the Government, along with Auckland Council, have concluded exclusive discussions regarding funding for the next America’s Cup (AC37) following ETNZ’s successful defence in Auckland of the 36th America’s Cup in March this year.

During the three-month exclusive negotiating period between New Zealand agencies and ETNZ, they have not been able to reach a conclusion that works for all parties. All three parties have worked through these discussions with the best of intentions to see the AC37 hosted in Auckland, and they have not been able to reach agreement by the expiration of the exclusive period.

Emirates Team New Zealand will now commence discussions with other nations to look into options regarding hosting AC37 events.

“By all means, the end of the exclusive negotiation period does not eliminate all possibility of the event or an event being hosted in New Zealand. If resources enable an event in New Zealand we will remain open to it. But, we must explore other opportunities to ensure we can put up another successful defence. No matter where in the world we are, we will always be Team New Zealand. Our priority has always been to keep and defend the America’s Cup successfully. We certainly want to explore holding a regatta in Auckland and along with discussing the venue for AC37 with other nations, would like to work through that opportunity also”, said Grant Dalton.

RNZYS Commodore Aaron Young said Whilst we also remain hopeful that the cup can stay in New Zealand it would be prudent to now explore other options as well, with the primary objective to ensure we keep the America’s Cup trophy in the cabinet here at the club. As such we also understand the need to help ensure the viability of Emirates Team New Zealand so we have every opportunity to defend the America’s Cup again, wherever that may be. It would be an unprecedented achievement to win the America’s Cup 3 times in a row and taking the cup overseas may well offer the best chance for us to do so.  At a meeting last night members were presented with this option and I believe generally understood this might need to happen.”

1 hour ago, Kate short for Bob said:

During the three-month exclusive negotiating period between New Zealand agencies and ETNZ, they have not been able to reach a conclusion that works for all parties. All three parties have worked through these discussions with the best of intentions to see the AC37 hosted in Auckland, and they have not been able to reach agreement by the expiration of the exclusive period.

Emirates Team New Zealand will now commence discussions with other nations to look into options regarding hosting AC37 events.

Laugh/cry. They were negotiating with Cork in Ireland this past weekend and documents leaked a ways back talked about them having solicited bids from other venues starting since months ago.

But whatever.. 

2 hours ago, Kate short for Bob said:

RNZYS Commodore Aaron Young said Whilst we also remain hopeful that the cup can stay in New Zealand it would be prudent to now explore other options as well

Is 'whilst' a normal word in NZ, instead of (normal to me) 'while'? 

1 minute ago, Stingray~ said:

Must be his Kiwi spell checker!

55 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Whilst has always been a word to me as an 84 years NZ born.

from .. https://www.grammarly.com/blog/while-vs-whilst/

"Whilst vs. While—Which Is Correct?

Marko Ticak

GRAMMAR

Whilst and while are two words with identical meanings—usually. But you can’t always use whilst instead of while.

Typically, Brits use whilst and Americans use while. That’s the main difference. When used as a conjunction or an adverb, while and whilst are interchangeable:

There wasn’t much Stanley could do while he waited.

There wasn’t much Stanley could do whilst he waited.

While Danny was sleeping in, his little brother swiped his cell phone.

Whilst Danny was sleeping in, his little brother swiped his cell phone."

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Terry Hollis said:

Whilst has always been a word to me as an 84 years NZ born.

from .. https://www.grammarly.com/blog/while-vs-whilst/

"Whilst vs. While—Which Is Correct?

Marko Ticak

GRAMMAR

Whilst and while are two words with identical meanings—usually. But you can’t always use whilst instead of while.

Typically, Brits use whilst and Americans use while. That’s the main difference. When used as a conjunction or an adverb, while and whilst are interchangeable:

There wasn’t much Stanley could do while he waited.

There wasn’t much Stanley could do whilst he waited.

While Danny was sleeping in, his little brother swiped his cell phone.

Whilst Danny was sleeping in, his little brother swiped his cell phone."

I can't agree that either of those "whilst" sentences are realistic modern British-English usage. Whatever the WWW might tell you, it isn't used here today in relation to time. "Whilst" is however used to contrast options or ideas, which is how it is used by Aaron Young: “Whilst we also remain hopeful that the cup can stay in New Zealand....." 

5 hours ago, dogwatch said:

I can't agree that either of those "whilst" sentences are realistic modern British-English usage. Whatever the WWW might tell you, it isn't used here today in relation to time. "Whilst" is however used to contrast options or ideas, which is how it is used by Aaron Young: “Whilst we also remain hopeful that the cup can stay in New Zealand....." 

The AC 75 Class Rule uses both "whilst" and "while" in exactly the same time-related sense, which sort of reflects the split personality of the terms in the modern English-speaking world.  The English native speakers I work with from the UK, AUS, and NZ all use "whilst' universally, which can seem quaint to me as a US native English speaker. 

We all manage to understand each other, however, despite the fact--as George Bernard Shaw supposedly said--that the US and UK are two nations separated by a common language.

^

True, it is used that way in the AC 75 class rule. My remark was in response to the claim that modern British English usage of "whilst" includes the time-sense. I wonder who authored the class rule? I'd still assert that particular usage is rarer than rocking-horse shit in contemporary British English. I wouldn't claim to know about Kiwi English. 

On 6/14/2021 at 7:53 PM, Meat Wad said:

On 6/14/2021 at 8:25 PM, pusslicker said:

DC wanted this after '87, but I think the SDYC didn't. Wasn't there some shit about Larry owning an island there and having it after SF instead of Bermuda?

I was just thinking about this and I bet the issue might be the Whales. The Humpback love Hawaiian waters. Imagine hitting a whale with your foil at 50KPH

On 6/14/2021 at 3:20 PM, Meat Wad said:

Disagree. Pick a spot where the winds and waves are flukey as hell, and set a course where obstacles and currents need to be negotiated. The PNW in April or November comes to mind. Then open up the box rules. Want to bring your lightweight, solid sail, foiling marvel? Great, lets see how she does in 6' seas with howling winds! Maybe something a bit beefier to handle any conditions? Have fun when the wind dies to a whisper and the currents have their way with you. Now THAT would be an interesting AC! 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

I was just thinking about this and I bet the issue might be the Whales. The Humpback love Hawaiian waters. Imagine hitting a whale with your foil at 50KPH

The whales are seasonal and Guage Roads (it it?), the waters west of Maui make for terrific sailing, especially closer to (LE’s) Lanai. I’ve sailed a 12M there, forget what exactly the boat was. 

5 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Killing marine mammals not popular in Hawaii. Didn't they slaughter some in SF AC and just now SGP killed a dolphin in Italy?

Don’t remember any marine life getting hit in SF Bay but they did postpone racing at some point when a whale was spotted near Sausalito. 

The mark on USA’s rudder in Taranto makes me think they hit something harder than a dolphin but who knows? There are a lot of dolphin pods there and at foiling speeds… Yikes!

7 hours ago, OneWorldSailing said:

Put the damn thing where it belongs: Newport, RI

No wind. Possibly worse than Auckland, even.

3 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

Just need the navy to blast their sonar and they will hang out on the beach during the race.

6 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Killing marine mammals not popular in Hawaii. Didn't they slaughter some in SF AC and just now SGP killed a dolphin in Italy?

Makes a change from whales and containers, I suppose.

43 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Don’t remember any marine life getting hit in SF Bay but they did postpone racing at some point when a whale was spotted near Sausalito. 

The mark on USA’s rudder in Taranto makes me think they hit something harder than a dolphin but who knows? There are a lot of dolphin pods there and at foiling speeds… Yikes!

Yikes for the animals too.  

11 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

No wind. Possibly worse than Auckland, even.

Then you have either not lived there or perhaps visited at the right time.

The AC idiots are the biggest hypocrites around. Depending on what iteration of their flying circus, they have wanted a venue with no wind or one where there is enough to blow trees over.

It is way past time for a group of people to stand up and create a true international sailing competition. Let the boy toys and their sugar daddy's keep the ole mug and beat what's of left of it ten feet under..

There is no reason for this farce, other than financial enrichment for a few privileged few.

None of this is rocket science. Making a similar competition a spectacle for hundreds of thousands of in-person viewers and a legion of TV viewers is actually very simple.

5 hours ago, OneWorldSailing said:

The AC idiots are the biggest hypocrites around. Depending on what iteration of their flying circus, they have wanted a venue with no wind or one where there is enough to blow trees over.

It is way past time for a group of people to stand up and create a true international sailing competition. Let the boy toys and their sugar daddy's keep the ole mug and beat what's of left of it ten feet under..

There is no reason for this farce, other than financial enrichment for a few privileged few.

None of this is rocket science. Making a similar competition a spectacle for hundreds of thousands of in-person viewers and a legion of TV viewers is actually very simple.

my guess is you are just waiting for that call from the AC event Authority to explain how its done..

Hearing that the so-called potential Cowes AC37 isn't Cowes alone.

It's apparently a Joint Initiative between Portsmouth & Southampton, the two biggest Cities on the British South Coast.

did Magnus whisper that to you last night as he tucked you into bed..

given the INEOS base is in Portsmouth, Sail GP has run from Southampton and Cowes isn't awash with space its not rocket science to think that bases may be spread between the three especially as they all have access to the same bit of water.

who ever you 'heard' that from? it isn't especially insightful

1 hour ago, JALhazmat said:

my guess is you are just waiting for that call from the AC event Authority to explain how its done..

Not at all.

As long as the money rolls in, they are a happy bunch of grifters.

1 hour ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Have you sobered up yet?

Haven't had a drop in many a moon.

They have no interest in promoting anything other than their pockets.

The fix is simple and of course not a single one will want any part of it as they will all be left out in the cold.

On 6/17/2021 at 5:27 AM, OneWorldSailing said:

Well Sail GP is trying to do just that. They have substantial funds.  But its not so easy.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, EYESAILOR said:

Well Sail GP is trying to do just that. They have substantial funds.  But its not so easy.

Sail GP is just the ugly sister to the AC but with the same players.

Let the AC and Sail GP continue with their flying circus.

It would attract sailors and non-sailors alike and the cost would be minimal in comparison.

On 6/14/2021 at 7:48 PM, NeedAClew said:

Pensacola in the winter.

Hurricane season makes it a bit dodgy for summer all along the east now that we've had more and stronger hurricanes.

Except deed of gift.

At this point I think it would be great if nobody wanted the AC, and the best they could do was rent some space in Chile, or something. Over and over again, the AC loses money for the venue. How many times does it have to happen before reality sinks in?

Why cities/states/ countries pony up a dime for this show any more is beyond me. The NZ government offers 100 million bucks and that's not good enough?  What's wrong with this picture?

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, Alan H said:

At this point I think it would be great if nobody wanted the AC, and the best they could do was rent some space in Chile, or something. Over and over again, the AC loses money for the venue. How many times does it have to happen before reality sinks in?

Why cities/states/ countries pony up a dime for this show any more is beyond me. The NZ government offers 100 million bucks and that's not good enough?  What's wrong with this picture?

$100 million is peanuts compared to most other sports events bids.

It loses money for the venue.  San Francisco is STILL paying off debts. Since when is some municipal organization obligated to spend taxpayer money to support private sports?  MAYBE if that sport brings enough business and revenue to the locality, then maybe it's worth it.  Maybe. But the AC has never done that, and  unless something really fundamental changes, it never will. 

AC 34, 11.5 million dollars for the city and Port of San Francisco

https://www.yachtingmagazine.com/ac34-cost-san-francisco-115-million/

It was touted as this huge investment in the waterfront.... Investment, my ass.

https://sfmayor.org/34th-americas-cup

Nothing happened, the docks at all the  city marinas are still falling apart.  The City took over the reasonably profitable South Beach Harbor and they're milking it dry and not doing maintenance.  The docks at Fort Mason/Gashouse Cove are flat-out dangerous and an embarrassment.

Now, eight years later, 100 million dollars isn't enough?  No, Grant and TNZ want Two Hundred Million Dollars. That is TWENTY TIMES what San Francisco coughed up for AC 34.

Has everybody forgotten? It's a SAILBOAT RACE. Well, in fact it seems that New Zealands government hasn't entirely forgotten. I think it'd be great if every City, State and National government  in the world also remembered....it's a sailboat race and it LOSES MONEY.

Then maybe the whole thing might return to some semblance of reasonable, again.

• Like 5
6 hours ago, Forourselves said:

$100 million is peanuts compared to most other sports events bids.

So the AC is on par with sports that have massive worldwide TV viewership, worldwide team participation and worldwide corporate sponsorship money pouring in.  Good to know. 

With spectators coming in to fill already built hotel rooms and restaurants like the SuperBowl does, filling the post holiday slump in personal and business travel?  And played in already built stadiums or arenas or infrastructure? Uh, no. 

More like the Olympics. Do venues end up net positive for the money they spend? Before the pandemic? They get some buildings but is it worth it? 

On 6/13/2021 at 6:08 AM, catsailor said:

Hearing rumors about an American site being chatted up for 37. 

An article published in Spanish today included 'New York' as a possible location, without saying where they got the idea. 

Here's a different article, it includes a few comments by the mayor of Valencia.

Google Translate

America's Cup: Valencia mayor cool on hosting bid with $20m hangover

"The event was important but had very high costs for the city. We are going to study it (the club’s proposed bid). If the balance is positive, it is okay, but if the balance has to cost us a lot, we will say no. I think it is an interesting bet. It is an interesting sport but, ultimately, the city of Valencia must evaluate."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/125516573/americas-cup-valencia-mayor-cool-on-hosting-bid-with-20m-hangover

Valencia has to be a very serious contender. Infrastructure already in place from previous cups, and they have access to $750 billion euro fund to "restore tourism"

"The group behind Valencia's bid to host the 37th America's Cup believe they can access a €750 billion fund established by the European Union to assist member countries to recover from the economic effects of the COVID pandemic."

2 hours ago, zillafreak said:

Valencia has to be a very serious contender. Infrastructure already in place from previous cups

Is it? I thought it had been redeveloped. Anyone know?

9 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

Is it? I thought it had been redeveloped. Anyone know?

It's pretty desolate in the Darsena, but could be made look pretty again with a couple of million Dollars. 

Some bases are used for whatever, sailing accessory companies and others, the Veles et Vents is empty and used for sailing events (e.g. TP52), the train and 95 bus into the city are still there as well as the hotels. 

The pontoon is gone, and maybe one or two bases (can't remember) but this should be no biggie. 

Ot would still be a great venue. 

• Like 2

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/125516573/americas-cup-valencia-mayor-cool-on-hosting-bid-with-20m-hangover

Valencia was a great location, but the Major seems a little cautious about hosting again the AC.

My guess is still China, Shenzhen maybe. I think they are the only ones willing to host the Cup even in the event of low (or no) economic return. The "emerging countries" clause seems to point in that direction too. If China wanted to strongly encourage the national sailing movement (also with a view to the Olympics) hosting the America's Cup, perhaps even financing a challenger, it could work.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Zaal said:

Valencia was a great location, but the Major seems a little cautious about hosting again the AC.

My guess is still China, Shenzhen maybe. I think they are the only ones willing to host the Cup even in the event of low (or no) economic return. The "emerging countries" clause seems to point in that direction too. If China wanted to strongly encourage the national sailing movement (also with a view to the Olympics) hosting the America's Cup, perhaps even financing a challenger, it could work.

With all morals gone, it's a pity that Xinjiang has no coast. There should be a lot of cheap forced labor that can build the bases and other infrastructure. Well, ETNZ is short on cash, so they have to take the best offer, right? Survival and all.. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Zaal said:

If China wanted to strongly encourage the national sailing movement

Why would they want that?

"(also with a view to the Olympics)"

Spending a fortune on AC sailing is an upside-down approach to building Olympic skills.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, dogwatch said:

Spending a fortune on AC sailing is an upside-down approach to building Olympic skills.

That's true. I said that because in Italy right now there's a boom in sailing courses, people got interested in it watching Luna Rossa. Maybe it could happen there too. That's not the only (or the best) way to increase the sailing  movement, but it can help. We'll have to just wait and see, it's funny because GD acted like there were plenty of venues ready to make an auction to host the Cup, but this is not necessarily the case. 

That's interesting. I have to say I'm surprised, I'm not sure in general there is that much cross-over from watching stuff to actually doing it. But good that it has generated interest in sailing in Italy.

My prediction is that GD will be returning to take Auckland's cash with his tail between his legs. We shall see.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dogwatch said:

My prediction is that GD will be returning to take Auckland's cash with his tail between his legs. We shall see.

My prediction too. He will find a sponsor happy-enough to fund a Defense in iconic Auckland. 

One pitch has already been received for it to be held on the Isle of Wight.

It has been reported offers from several other locations – Valencia, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Cork, Singapore and China – might also be lodged to host the event.

Valencia can now be added to the list of places where officials are working on an offer to secure hosting rights.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/americas-cup-spanish-officials-eye-hosting-rights-with-valencia-as-venue/6U6B5V34Q2CPOL5W2ZEC5BRPGY/

According to TE Valencia still owe 20 mil from the previous cup. He reckons Abu Dhabi, especially as Ineos sponsor F1.

Auckland (time zones aside) is a fabulous sailing area and spec friendly and I loved racing there, but then the Solent is amazing and an area I personally (not that that's relevant) prefer for all its complexities and diversity.

AD would have relatively boring conditions but good for the dosh.

Be great if Lorient would put a bid in! That would stir the pot for the teams.

My dream venue, simply as a vacation destination, for AC37 would be somewhere in Sardinia. Cagliari could host a few teams, just as it was for the planned WS event there. The north end of the island has great sailing places too. 

If it goes to the Middle East I won’t bother going.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, aucklander said:

The next AC will be in Auckland

Have you guys never been involved in negotiations before?

I dont know about that. The way they blew off the negotiations seems more like "we're done here" rather than a bargaining tactic. When $250 million or more may be in the cards from deep pockets elsewhere...

7 hours ago, aucklander said:

The next AC will be in Auckland

Have you guys never been involved in negotiations before?

I also think it will be in Auckland. However if GD comes back after failing to negotiate a better deal elsewhere, he'd better be ready to assume the posture. Don't be amazed if $100M is now $80M.

If the Cup is going to be offshore, I'd prefer it to be in a neutral venue, so not to advantage any of the Challengers, which would rule out Cowes. The Mid East is intriguing, but not without issues - human rights, misogyny, state sanctioned murder etc. You could argue engaging these States with a huge media presence might be positive and could lead to change? Equally, rewarding such "pariah" States with hosting the AC is not a good look.

I don’t see why GD would balk at any of the issues above, been happy being the white wash to a murky regime for years so why grow a conscience now? 

On 6/17/2021 at 2:27 AM, OneWorldSailing said:

blah blah blah...

very simple.

Have you every been to a consistently windy location say like San Francisco?

Narragansett Bay is not known as a high wind location... Next you'll tell us LIS is a windy body of water!

'Very simple' - hahahahahahahaaaaa  

Get after it, sounds like an easy side hustle!

On 6/20/2021 at 12:28 AM, Alan H said:

One hand: The cup is too expensive, we need to make it a repeatable, viable 'investment'...

The other hand: But $100M isn't enough, oh and we're going to sail in waters of the highest bidder, we'll let you know when we know where that is.....

On 6/20/2021 at 1:54 AM, Alan H said:

Has everybody forgotten? It's a SAILBOAT RACE. Well, in fact it seems that New Zealands government hasn't entirely forgotten. I think it'd be great if every City, State and National government  in the world also remembered....it's a sailboat race and it LOSES MONEY.

But SailGP is a successful, self sustaining, huge money maker............. 

and apparently a simple thing to do!

On 6/26/2021 at 11:18 AM, NeedAClew said:

SailGP will be having its IPO soon.  Dogecoin preferred.

An article in Forbes some time back reported that a company based in LA (Hollywood?) had purchased a portion of SailGP. The article also claimed the overall worth of SailGP as having been assessed at $200M. The company's name may have been Endeavor? I didn't try finding anything else on it since I don't spend much time worrying about SailGP's financing but it should be findable.

On 6/27/2021 at 2:40 AM, JALhazmat said:

I don’t see why GD would balk at any of the issues above, been happy being the white wash to a murky regime for years so why grow a conscience now? 

I'm not saying he won't...I was expressing my personal opinions......Unlike Russell, GD keeps his focus quite narrow - the team and the event. He's not out there selling Emirates as a lily white organisation from a model state, whereas Russell is shoveling hard the green stuff which most know is a load of bollocks.

On 6/22/2021 at 11:47 PM, Tornado-Cat said:

One pitch has already been received for it to be held on the Isle of Wight.

It has been reported offers from several other locations – Valencia, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Cork, Singapore and China – might also be lodged to host the event.

Valencia can now be added to the list of places where officials are working on an offer to secure hosting rights.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/americas-cup-spanish-officials-eye-hosting-rights-with-valencia-as-venue/6U6B5V34Q2CPOL5W2ZEC5BRPGY/

What's the AC72 really like in some chop and windswell?

I figure that will cut out a lot of viable options on open ocean.

1 hour ago, shebeen said:

The NZ AC72 sustained supposedly 30 kts on the ocean, but I guess you are talking about the AC75. Whatever, the venue should make the boat and not the contrary,

17 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

The NZ AC72 sustained supposedly 30 kts on the ocean, but I guess you are talking about the AC75. Whatever, the venue should make the boat and not the contrary,

But in real life, they are committed to the AC75 for the next round and will not choose somewhere unsuitable for the boat.   The boat will be tweaked for local conditions but it will be a track where the AC75 can work.

9 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

But in real life, they are committed to the AC75 for the next round and will not choose somewhere unsuitable for the boat.   The boat will be tweaked for local conditions but it will be a track where the AC75 can work.

Yep, and Dalton told the AC75 was designed for the Hauraki gulf difficult conditions, but in real life I doubt it could sail around the Isle of Wight and any conditions in the Solent. Their wide hull hitting waves at 40 kts would not be ideal for the crew and the material.

1 hour ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Yep, and Dalton told the AC75 was designed for the Hauraki gulf difficult conditions, but in real life I doubt it could sail around the Isle of Wight and any conditions in the Solent. Their wide hull hitting waves at 40 kts would not be ideal for the crew and the material.

The F50’s couldn’t handle Cowes.

23 hours ago, shebeen said:

None of the favoured options are really and necessarily "open ocean". 

Cowes was the "best races and show"?

True sports entertainment. Crashes, risks to life and limb, heartbreaking attempts at comebacks, instantaneous "speed record" all the smash and crash fun promoted in ad clips. Wrasslin would be proud.