1 hour ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

May be an image of text that says 'Keep Baby SAFE with a "Lull-A-Baby" "Lull-A Car Hammock Baby constantly vistble: rear view vision not impatred, SAFEST, MOST COMFORTABLE CAR BED EVER MADE FITS ANY HARDTOP CAR ONE-MINUTE INSTALLATION YOU CAN PURCHASE "LULL-A-BABY" CAR HAM- MOCK FROM YOUR LOCAL DEALER OR PURCHASE IT AT 518 Lighthouse Avenuc, Monterey, California, RETAILSFOR ONLY $ 695 Monterey Peninsula. op'

Rode/slept over the engine in the way back (Behind the back seat )of a VW bug back in the day.  Always wondered why I slept in the car on road trips...  LOL. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Rode/slept over the engine in the way back (Behind the back seat )of a VW bug back in the day.  Always wondered why I slept in the car on road trips...  LOL. 

my folks used to shove me up on the shelf behind the back seat of their Buick Land Yacht. 

9 minutes ago, shaggy said:

When our older daughter wouldn't go down for her nap, Missus BB or my Grandfather would strap her into the car seat and start aimlessly driving.  Not really aimless, as the aim was to get her to sleep, and it always worked.....

I often had to take my daughter into my cabinet shop when we couldn't get a sitter. She would sit very satisfied in her little carry seat strapped in and I found that if I sat her on the long outfeed table behind my big table saw the vibration and sound of the saw running put her right to sleep. Same with the outboard on the dinghy when returning to our Passport 40 home.

2 hours ago, P_Wop said:

May be an image of text that says 'Tired Of Boiling Water Every Time You Make Pasta? Boil A Few Gallons At The Beginning Of The Week And Freeze It For Later.'

That reminded me of when I was a little kid - maybe 5.

I was "helping" get ready for a picnic when my mother stopped me from opening the canned ice. :D

4 minutes ago, Navig8tor said:

Just 3 lines in-confirmation that you are doomed.

I give them an A for honesty.

Most subjects that I loved in school I did really well at. Thermodynamics was different. It was fascinating but I barely escaped with a C. 

10 hours ago, billy backstay said:

When our older daughter wouldn't go down for her nap, Missus BB or my Grandfather would strap her into the car seat and start aimlessly driving.  Not really aimless, as the aim was to get her to sleep, and it always worked.....

I ahd two tricks for my daughter when she was small.

a) bring carseat into the house, strap her in and put it on top of the dryer with a bunch of wet towels in it. 

b) on my J24 I had a carseat suspended with a bunch of bungee cords in the forepeak. once the boat started moving she was usually out cold in about 3 minutes.

• Like 1

May be an image of outdoors and text that says 'YOU WOULD BE BETTER OFF SAND PAPERING A LIONS ASS IN A PAIR OF PORK CHOP PANTIES THAN BEING CAUGHT ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THIS FENCE SA পালনার'

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

I ahd two tricks for my daughter when she was small.

a) bring carseat into the house, strap her in and put it on top of the dryer with a bunch of wet towels in it. 

b) on my J24 I had a carseat suspended with a bunch of bungee cords in the forepeak. once the boat started moving she was usually out cold in about 3 minutes.

Nice!!  Somewhere I have a photo of us in Key West, on Mom's Gulfstar, with younger daughter, still a toddler, in a car seat type chair, hanging from the boom over the center of the cockpit.  I think it was one of those seats you usually hung in a doorway and they could swing in it.  They are 31 and 35 now and we are looking forward to their visit next weekend.  Both wound up in Charleston, SC and like many of their High School mates, they stayed there after College.

22 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Bottled water is 17.5 cents a bottle at Stop & Shop, including the 5 cent bottle deposit.  I buy a case for work and charge a quarter a piece.  Sometimes it's on sale there for 2 bucks for 24 bottles, plus bottle deposit.......

Stop and Shop isn't selling bottles of Smart Water for 17.5 cents/ea. They're selling somebody else rebottled, possibly filtered tapwater.     Penn and Teller did a great bit on bottled water on their "Bullshit" show a few years ago. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, IStream said:

Most subjects that I loved in school I did really well at. Thermodynamics was different. It was fascinating but I barely escaped with a C. 

Sometimes average is a resounding success.

My concentration was in thermodynamic and fluid systems.  I did well in the other ME classes, too, but thermo and fluids was just too cool for words.  Although I did well in the required EE classes, I had absolutely no clue what was going on.  "How'd to do on the exam?"  "No idea, man, no idea.  I think might have failed it."  What?  An 84?

And assembly language kicked my ass.  Hard.  I had unresolved issues over that one for several years after I graduated.

08column_assembly.jpg

• Like 1

I was a Civil/Structural major...two classes I had to take for the degree...second semester physics, electromagnetism and some such stuff, and differential equations.  I "knew" more about these class materials at the start of the semester than after I took the final.  Squeaked by with Ds in both.  Never used this crap in my career designing buildings and later managing heavy construction projects.  Aced the PE the first time too. 

1 hour ago, foamy1946 said:

I was a Civil/Structural major...two classes I had to take for the degree...second semester physics, electromagnetism and some such stuff, and differential equations.  I "knew" more about these class materials at the start of the semester than after I took the final.  Squeaked by with Ds in both.  Never used this crap in my career designing buildings and later managing heavy construction projects.  Aced the PE the first time too. 

Newsflash, nobody uses the shit they learned in college.  You figure it out as you move along.

• Like 1

Ironically, one of the things I use most professionally is the statistics I learned in that Thermo course...I think that's why I have a lasting appreciation for it even though I only muddled through at the time. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, IStream said:

Ironically, one of the things I use most professionally is the statistics I learned in that Thermo course...I think that's why I have a lasting appreciation for it even though I only muddled through at the time. 

Statistics is an incredibly powerful engineering tool when properly used.  I hated it (boring!) in school but loved it on the shop floor and then managing a turbofan fleet.

statistics-in-my-favour-205572.png

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Cal20sailor said:

Newsflash, nobody uses the shit they learned in college.  You figure it out as you move along.

not if you approached college with the "what am I ever gonna use this shit for" attitude. Hopefully the time spent in those institutions teaches one how to think so that they're able to figure it out as they go along. YMMV

I never graduated from anywhere with more than a couple associates degrees, but I've got nearly 400 hours of 300 and 400 level classes from almost as many schools. mostly taken after I had already landed a "career" in IT.

I studied history, astronomy, geology, econ, art and a few other things because they interested me. Not in any hopes that they'd get me a job that was a bigger pain in the ass than the one I had. 

my little work situation allowed me to pay my bills, buy a few houses along the way, several boats, eat too well, and it also afforded me almost unlimited leave without pay to go enjoy the shit I had accumulated. I don't regret a single class I took in any of the colleges I went to. I like to think I took something away from every one of them... 

btw, I loved assembler language. it got to the point where I remember dreaming in IBM 360/65 ALC. but that gave me a firm foundation and understanding of stacks, arrays and linked lists and recursion that let me get into writing modular code before anyone ever used the term object oriented. Cuz there's always a more better, more elegant, more clever way to write the code to do the thing. 

but I digress ...

Meet The Real People Behind The Most Popular Memes On The Internet

• Like 1

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'And just like that... Little Susie cured the worst virus of all.'

celebratory fanfare by Frank Zappa ...

• Like 2
On 9/17/2021 at 6:44 PM, IStream said:

My statistical thermodynamics final had 5 questions. On 2 questions, I listed every McDonald's menu item I could think of. I really had no idea how to handle them.  I wrote McDonald's job application on the front of the blue book, turned it in and started thinking McDonald's really was my future.  Somehow I got the other 3 questions all correct and managed a C+ thanks to the curve.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

I worked with an REA at Hughes AirCraft (Responsible Engineering Authority) for system wiring. 1000s of interconnects... His degree was in.....

Art:D

24 minutes ago, PurpleOnion said:

My statistical thermodynamics final had 5 questions. On 2 questions, I listed every McDonald's menu item I could think of. I really had no idea how to handle them.  I wrote McDonald's job application on the front of the blue book, turned it in and started thinking McDonald's really was my future.  Somehow I got the other 3 questions all correct and managed a C+ thanks to the curve.

I had a FEA course with only 3 questions on the final. Each question = 20% of your mark for the year.

First question - No fucking clue

Second question - partial no fucking clue> maybe got 20% of it.

Third question - could partly answer that one.

We all walked out saying WTF and all passed the year - because we all failed so badly.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, RedTuna said:

760808535_kidstoday.png

Monkey bars!  I had three skull fractures before I was 10.  One of them was from playing on that thing over asphalt. 

Fortunately I was a fast healer, but barbers love my head.  

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, Zonker said:

I had a FEA course with only 3 questions on the final. Each question = 20% of your mark for the year.

We all walked out saying WTF and all passed the year - because we all failed so badly.

I really hated the curve as a standard.   I do understand it’s appeal at some level, but for many it was an academic kiss of death to work really hard to get a 92% and fail the class.    

life is hard and all that rot…. I think people get turned off by the curve being strictly applied, and get forced a different (and not always better) direction. 

In most schooling, it is not necessary to fail people all the time.   It’s not supposed to be a trial by elimination 

Use the curve where appropriate.   Just not everywhere.  

54 minutes ago, warbird said:

I worked with an REA at Hughes AirCraft (Responsible Engineering Authority) for system wiring. 1000s of interconnects... His degree was in.....

The idea of uni is to teach one how to think - it's not job training.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Windward said:

I really hated the curve as a standard.   I do understand it’s appeal at some level, but for many it was an academic kiss of death to work really hard to get a 92% and fail the class.    

life is hard and all that rot…. I think people get turned off by the curve being strictly applied, and get forced a different (and not always better) direction. 

In most schooling, it is not necessary to fail people all the time.   It’s not supposed to be a trial by elimination 

When I entered architectural school, they announced that they planned to graduate 15 out of the 60 of us.  No curves need apply. I made it through my sophomore spring semester with a 0.96 GPA. 

It was easy sledding after that and we fooled them.  We graduated 17.  

44 minutes ago, Zonker said:

I got a 9 out of 100 on an obviously too advanced for me fluids midterm....and it was a "C".

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Left Shift said:

Monkey bars!  I had three skull fractures before I was 10.  One of them was from playing on that thing over asphalt. 

Fortunately I was a fast healer, but barbers love my head.  

My dad used to joke that he belonged to the coffee club at the ER when I was little.

Just now, RedTuna said:

My dad used to joke that he belonged to the coffee club at the ER when I was little.

I was a target for fate. Riding my bike to school, get T-boned by a tow truck. That sort of thing. My right leg looks like a topo map of the Rockies.

13 minutes ago, RedTuna said:

You guys were graded on a curve in engineering classes?

Half-Credit.jpg

Did you get your full fee?  Did you get an add services contract for the forensic analysis and did your E&O insurance cover the claims?

Then full credit and a guest lecture spot.

2 hours ago, warbird said:

Was that like what is now a Designated Engineering Representative?  Scary as can be, if so.

2 hours ago, Zonker said:

I taught HS math after 30 yrs of engineering.  Word problems were the worst...for them.  I gave them wordy problems and at the end explained just initial for full credit, half got it.

On 9/17/2021 at 10:28 AM, Rasputin22 said:

I often had to take my daughter into my cabinet shop when we couldn't get a sitter. She would sit very satisfied in her little carry seat strapped in and I found that if I sat her on the long outfeed table behind my big table saw the vibration and sound of the saw running put her right to sleep. Same with the outboard on the dinghy when returning to our Passport 40 home.

When my kid was 3 or so we did a family trip to Hawaii's big island. My wife and I wanted to take a helicopter tour of the volcanos and water falls, and we had nowhere to stash the kid, so we brought him along. He initially thought we were there to see helicopters, so he was super excited when we went close to one. Then he was even more excited to sit in one - particularly since the "fair" way to deal with the seat next to the pilot was to put him in it while my wife and I sat in the back. He squealed with excitement when the engine started and we took off. Within 5 minutes he was sound asleep and missed the whole thing.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, RedTuna said:

Same here. In fact one of the ER nurses that had seen me >dozen times wrote notes to my teachers several times.

- DSK

On 9/18/2021 at 11:18 AM, Bump-n-Grind said:

Stop and Shop isn't selling bottles of Smart Water for 17.5 cents/ea. They're selling somebody else rebottled, possibly filtered tapwater.     Penn and Teller did a great bit on bottled water on their "Bullshit" show a few years ago. 

Says it's "Acadia spring water" from "Protected springs" in various locations.   Dunno if that's BS, but it tastes better than the well water at work and at home, and no chlorine taste whatsoever.

22 hours ago, Windward said:

I had a vicious and wonderful physics teacher in highschool. He graded on a curve.  I was a 50% student. 

B+ :lol:

21 hours ago, RedTuna said:

Was that like what is now a Designated Engineering Representative?  Scary as can be, if so.

His responsibility was all the cabling in 6 bays (think tall refrigerator) of cabling connecting computer to test equipment, signal sources (waveform generators, X-band generators etc) Spectrum analyzer,  o scopes,, Multimeters,  waveform analyzer,  and units under test.

May be an image of 3 people and text that says 'I'M LOOKING FOR A GIRL WITH PERSONALITY YOU ARE LUCKY, |HAVE SEVERAL'

• Like 3

The educational question is whether we are trying to determine competence (for real life) or class ranking (for an award).  Decades ago this was part of my day job.  Should medical students have to demonstrate meaningful competence in a subject, or are you OK if your physician only knew 45% but the rest of the class was no better?

Grading on a curve is dysfunctional for determining competence, i.e. where actual performance is needed for public safety.  It works both ways.  Took a biochemistry grad class where we all did well because who else takes graduate science classes besides people who want to and are pretty good at it.  A 93/100 score was essentially a C-.  Needed  a 98 for an A.  Students who knew the material were punished :mellow:

OTOH, grading a philosophy class on a curve makes a bit more sense.

• Like 3

aeAvYoq_460swp.webp                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

aeAvYoq_460swp.webp                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

the backstory

4 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

aeAvYoq_460swp.webp                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Gallows humor for sure!!  :lol:

On 9/18/2021 at 8:56 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

well that is a wattaburger..

No one really knows...  Late night texas crap, just like del taco or jack in the box...  HAd one in my college town.  Late night...  4 burgers and a lb o fries.  all for 5 bucks...  :)

On 9/19/2021 at 6:54 AM, Wet Spreaders said:

When my kid was 3 or so we did a family trip to Hawaii's big island. My wife and I wanted to take a helicopter tour of the volcanos and water falls, and we had nowhere to stash the kid, so we brought him along. He initially thought we were there to see helicopters, so he was super excited when we went close to one. Then he was even more excited to sit in one - particularly since the "fair" way to deal with the seat next to the pilot was to put him in it while my wife and I sat in the back. He squealed with excitement when the engine started and we took off. Within 5 minutes he was sound asleep and missed the whole thing.

LOL, Mine did the cenote thing in mexico about that age.  He could basically swim w me, hold onto my back while diving etc...  Ended up being the puking kid in the back of the bus on the ride home..  Mexico, Hot tourist bus..  Puking 3 YO.....  wet towels and basically beach stuff..  

Better to have the sleeping kid than the puking one...   Just sayin....  

12 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

catching is easy...  dealing with the feathers and butchering,  that what a man wants

There are plenty of guys here that are well practiced in choking the chicken.

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, bored broker said:

There are plenty of guys here that are well practiced in choking the chicken.

That's only over in PA...

(Poultry Anarchy)

• Like 1